Donald Trump’s threat to imprison Hillary Clinton is a threat to democracy

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016
There is no way to sugarcoat this: At Sunday night’s presidential debate, Donald Trump threatened to throw Hillary Clinton in jail if he wins the presidency. This — threatening to jail one’s political opponents — is how democratic norms die.

The exchange happened during a discussion of the controversy over Hillary Clinton’s private email server. Trump began by decrying Clinton’s conduct — which, according to the FBI, was quite bad but not illegal. He then proposed appointing a special prosecutor to investigate her, and warned Clinton that, if he were president now, “you’d be in jail”:

TRUMP: I'll tell you what. I didn't think I'd say this, and I'm going to say it, and hate to say it: If I win, I'm going to instruct the attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there's never been so many lies, so much deception … A very expensive process, so we're going to get a special prosecutor because people have been, their lives have been destroyed for doing one-fifth of what you've done. And it's a disgrace, and honestly, you ought to be ashamed.

-snip-

In democracies, we respect people’s rights to disagree with each other. When one candidate wins a presidential election, the loser returns to private life or another government position. In some cases, former rivals become close friends. George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, who defeated Bush in the 1992 election, travel together and have spent decades jointly raising money to aid the victims of natural disasters.

They don’t get sent to jail, because we believe that political disagreement should be legal.

read more: Donald Trump’s threat to imprison Hillary Clinton is a threat to democracy

Trump is nothing more then thug.

yep.... they want us to be a banana republic. psychos.

i still haven't figured out what the republican FBI director would have to gain from making a democrat president? wouldn't he have benefitted a lot more if he helped the GOP?

of course, that requires sanity to understand.

No it requires research and gaining some knowledge about it.

It's about the elitists in both parties who think they are all above the law and control both parties, rather than the people of this nation.

A Vote for Hillary will be to keep the corruption and lawlessness ,same old same old of both parties.

Many of our millinals are starting to see it and get it.

if you say so. :cuckoo:

No!
Says the millions of this nation who are in both parties who have educated themselves on the issue.

Bernie supporters are leaning toward Clinton by about 2/3rds. With 64% favoring her.

But hey, keep those eyes screwed shut. Its not gonna matter much at this point. Trump just pissed away his last chance to turn his campaign around.

I say put the ENTIRE political class in prison. However, Hillary, W, and Big Ears should get special attention...like solitary confinement for life. I hope that is not too harsh.
Since corruption is illegal, I agree with this sentiment. Unfortunately, the foxes are in charge of the hen house, so there's no way to make it happen in the short term. In the long term, I think pushing a third party, especially the Libertarian Party, in local and state elections is the best way to build a base that can clean up Washington, DC.
Voting is not going to change anything.

Our system is way too corrupt now for elections to fix.

If voting changed anything, the powers-that-be would not let us vote.

'He' wouldn't have the power to put her in jail. This is not a dictatorship and never will be. If anyone is indicted and found guilty through our justice system, that's one thing. But a president does not have the power to just put people in jail. You are assuming she would be found guilty, but given all the investigations on her so far, with no criminal activity found, it's just your wishful thinking. You don't like her, so you want her to be in jail. Some good old American you are. String them up.
She committed treason, she should be hung. All of her supporters should also be investigation for the same.

I get that *you* believe that. But to the rest of the electorate, that sounds insane. Full tilt, batshit crazy.

Its why Trump's campaign is circling the bowl.
If Trump becomes president Hillary will be retried and prosecuted and plenty of politicians will go down also. Including obama.

And the fringe right loves the idea of imprisoning, even killing their political opponents.

But to the rest of us that sounds insane too. Do you see the pattern yet?

Oh, Rly?

US Attorney General: 'We May Prosecute Climate Change Deniers'.

Yes, really. Trump insists that he'd imprison his political opponents if elected......and the alt right cheers. Check out this thread. There are calls for Clinton to be charged with treason and *hung*. For Obama and other democrats to be thrown in prison if Trump won.

Do you have any idea how fucking insane that sounds, how full tilt, batshit crazy that seems to anyone outside the Right Wing echo chamber?

Trump suggested Hillary should be in jail for her crimes, not because of her political views.

Compare that to Hillary calling countless millions of Americans deplorable while at the same time championing unskilled scum from the third world flooding into the country. That alone should be grounds for her not being POTUS.
There was no crime. She has been investigated up one side and down the other. His idea to set up a special prosecutor is just a way of spending millions of tax payer dollars and reaching the same conclusion.

Let us not forget this is the same guy who has said women who get abortions should be legally punished. He's disgusting.
No, the investigation has made the fbi a joke.
And she testified before a congressional committee for 11 hours. They are a joke too?
No, it has come out that the fbi let evidence be destroyed. I for one would vote for Donald just on the fact he would put her in jail.
'He' wouldn't have the power to put her in jail. This is not a dictatorship and never will be. If anyone is indicted and found guilty through our justice system, that's one thing. But a president does not have the power to just put people in jail. You are assuming she would be found guilty, but given all the investigations on her so far, with no criminal activity found, it's just your wishful thinking. You don't like her, so you want her to be in jail. Some good old American you are. String them up.

No the Pres. does not have that power by himself.
The President elects the heads of each Department and that includes the Justce Dept.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016
There is no way to sugarcoat this: At Sunday night’s presidential debate, Donald Trump threatened to throw Hillary Clinton in jail if he wins the presidency. This — threatening to jail one’s political opponents — is how democratic norms die.

The exchange happened during a discussion of the controversy over Hillary Clinton’s private email server. Trump began by decrying Clinton’s conduct — which, according to the FBI, was quite bad but not illegal. He then proposed appointing a special prosecutor to investigate her, and warned Clinton that, if he were president now, “you’d be in jail”:

TRUMP: I'll tell you what. I didn't think I'd say this, and I'm going to say it, and hate to say it: If I win, I'm going to instruct the attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation because there's never been so many lies, so much deception … A very expensive process, so we're going to get a special prosecutor because people have been, their lives have been destroyed for doing one-fifth of what you've done. And it's a disgrace, and honestly, you ought to be ashamed.

-snip-

In democracies, we respect people’s rights to disagree with each other. When one candidate wins a presidential election, the loser returns to private life or another government position. In some cases, former rivals become close friends. George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton, who defeated Bush in the 1992 election, travel together and have spent decades jointly raising money to aid the victims of natural disasters.

They don’t get sent to jail, because we believe that political disagreement should be legal.

read more: Donald Trump’s threat to imprison Hillary Clinton is a threat to democracy

Is that considered TREASON? If not - it should be. Trump sounds like a third world dictator.

How is starting an investigation treason?
We're the other eight investigations treason?

Only Treason is treason. Much like bigotry, progressives are trying to render the word meaningless.
How many "investigations" does it take to determine there was no crime?

We saw this during Bill Clinton's term. Seven years of Whitewater investigations, investigating a blowjob, accusations of murdering Vince Foster...

Doesn't take actual facts just constant investigation

She committed treason, she should be hung. All of her supporters should also be investigation for the same.

I get that *you* believe that. But to the rest of the electorate, that sounds insane. Full tilt, batshit crazy.
Hillary will imprison or murder her opponents. She has done it for years....She just won't say it.

But dupes can't see it.

Hillary will imprison or murder her opponents. She has done it for years....She just won't say it.

But dupes can't see it.
Prove it. You're literally offering your imagination to justify the insane shit pouring out of the alt-right.

And your imagination doesn't matter to the rest of us. As the polls so obviously indicate.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

Is that considered TREASON? If not - it should be. Trump sounds like a third world dictator.

Only Treason is treason. Much like bigotry, progressives are trying to render the word meaningless.

We saw this during Bill Clinton's term. Seven years of Whitewater investigations, investigating a blowjob, accusations of murdering Vince Foster...

Funny...you are so childlike in your foolish thinking...you think a corrupt government is actually going to perform a fair and just investigation.

You have to be stupid or uninformed, particularly after what the FBI failed to do with Cankles.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

Liberals believe no auto manufacturer is too big to fail, no financial institution CEO to be to jail, however that all changes with Hillary Ridam Clinton and she knows it. We don't need a candidate so sloppy in handling government emails or her support of Obama's inaction to Benghazi in exchange for their own public image as commander in chief. Her failure to get involved when our Americans were under attack is the same response we find with the USS Cole, the Khobar Tower bombing in Saudi Arabia and the U.S. Embassy bombings Kenya and Tanzania. The Clintons policies show through their inaction that they don't take terrorism seriously. She hasn't given any evidence of her leadership ability

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

And millions upon millions of tax payer dollars wasted because of political partisanship.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

-snip-

It's about time someone got to the bottom of the missing emails. I would expect nothing less from our commander in chief.

Because you are a government employee does not make you above the law.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

i still haven't figured out what the republican FBI director would have to gain from making a democrat president? wouldn't he have benefitted a lot more if he helped the GOP?

It's about the elitists in both parties who think they are all above the law and control both parties, rather than the people of this nation.

A Vote for Hillary will be to keep the corruption and lawlessness ,same old same old of both parties.

No!
Says the millions of this nation who are in both parties who have educated themselves on the issue.

Bernie supporters are leaning toward Clinton by about 2/3rds. With 64% favoring her.

But hey, keep those eyes screwed shut. Its not gonna matter much at this point. Trump just pissed away his last chance to turn his campaign around.

You got a crystal ball as to how many will stay home and refuse to vote?

If Trump becomes president Hillary will be retried and prosecuted and plenty of politicians will go down also. Including obama.

And the fringe right loves the idea of imprisoning, even killing their political opponents.

Oh, Rly?

Yes, really. Trump insists that he'd imprison his political opponents if elected......and the alt right cheers. Check out this thread. There are calls for Clinton to be charged with treason and *hung*. For Obama and other democrats to be thrown in prison if Trump won.

Do you have any idea how fucking insane that sounds, how full tilt, batshit crazy that seems to anyone outside the Right Wing echo chamber?
Just think what Trump would do to Rosie O'Donnell

No!

You got a crystal ball as to how many will stay home and refuse to vote?

Just the same perception of the obvious the former RNC chairman has when he admitted that the Trump campaign is over.

There's no more chances left for the Donald. And give that he's ignoring every American but the most fringe right, it wouldn't matter if there were. Trump doesn't have it in him to think his way through problems. He reacts emotionally and incompetently.

Oh, Rly?

Trump said he would open an investigation, and got a "you would be in Jail" zinger in.

So far the only side that seems to want its opponents in camps is the left.

by Zack Beauchamp
October 9, 2016

The issue is that the people doing the investigating are members of the same club as the investigated.

Donald Trump did not threaten her at all and this is the typical DailyKos nonsense everyone should expect from the radical Progressive Left.

The OP'er find it a threat to the nation if anyone votes for the opposition political party, so let keep that in mind...

And millions upon millions of tax payer dollars wasted because of political partisanship.

Progressives complaining about wasting government money is the same as a burglar complaining about and alarm system.

Oh, Rly?

Trump said he would open an investigation, and got a "you would be in Jail" zinger in.

So far the only side that seems to want its opponents in camps is the left.

Laughing....who do you think you're trying to bullshit? Me or yourself? 'Lock her up' is a common chant at Trump rallies, with Trump straight up saying that Hillary would be in jail if he were president.

And you're still trying to convince us that that wasn't what he 'really meant'. Marty......its not yourself you have to convince. Its everyone else. And Trump's tsunami of authoritarian horseshit, bigotry and misogyny is just too overwhelming to try and explain away.

Trump pissed away his last chance last night......and did what he always does: appeal to the fringe right while ignoring pretty much everyone else.

Forum List

Back