Dr Martin Luther King saved this country

When our founding fathers wrote about "All Men are Created Equal" - that was a radical notion. So radical there was no way it could have been put into practice in 1776. It was more of a promise. That promise is a lot closer to becoming a reality thanks to MLK.

He did as much to fulfill that promise as any other founding father.

To be fair to our founders, just the leap of common men being the equals of royalty was quite an achievement. To claim blacks, women and Indians were also equal was too big a leap to expect

not really, but neither of us were there so we really don't know what the founders thought do we?
Yes what they thought has been well documented

We also know how they felt about blacks, Indians and women

those views were shared by the entire world in the 1700s. The founders were unique in that they signed a document saying that all men were created equal.

MLK did some good things for the country, but he did not save it. Mostly he expedited what was happening naturally. I lived in the south in those years, I saw it happening in people's hearts and minds naturally. King just helped it happen faster and for that he gets a lot of credit.
It was a hundred years after the civil war. What was happening naturally was Jim Crow

Dr King changed that

Without firing a shot

Yes he did, I already agreed with you on that. All I am saying is that integration was happening on its own, he just made it happen faster and for that he gets all the credit.

but the OP is foolish when it claimed that he saved the country, that is BS.

Amen

Here comes the republicans to claim him as one of their own, happens every year.

Here comes the Liberals claiming that what King taught about being judged by your character is being upheld with programs like affirmative action, something that focuses on race.
Dr King fully supported affirmative action. It was a necessary step to equality

Yes, he did. but AA is reverse discrimination being used to compensate for past discrimination. It was the wrong fix for a real problem.
Affirmative Action was a response to...... You can call those negroes equal but I'll be damned if I will hire one

or this one " I'll have them ni66ers voting democrat for the next 200 years" LBJ

Do you think that was a racist statement?

Amen

Here comes the republicans to claim him as one of their own, happens every year.

Here comes the Liberals claiming that what King taught about being judged by your character is being upheld with programs like affirmative action, something that focuses on race.

Yes, he did. but AA is reverse discrimination being used to compensate for past discrimination. It was the wrong fix for a real problem.
Affirmative Action was a response to...... You can call those negroes equal but I'll be damned if I will hire one

The same was said about the Irish, but they never got affirmative action.

To be fair to our founders, just the leap of common men being the equals of royalty was quite an achievement. To claim blacks, women and Indians were also equal was too big a leap to expect

not really, but neither of us were there so we really don't know what the founders thought do we?

those views were shared by the entire world in the 1700s. The founders were unique in that they signed a document saying that all men were created equal.

MLK did some good things for the country, but he did not save it. Mostly he expedited what was happening naturally. I lived in the south in those years, I saw it happening in people's hearts and minds naturally. King just helped it happen faster and for that he gets a lot of credit.
It was a hundred years after the civil war. What was happening naturally was Jim Crow

Dr King changed that

Without firing a shot

Yes he did, I already agreed with you on that. All I am saying is that integration was happening on its own, he just made it happen faster and for that he gets all the credit.

How did he save our country?

How would you react if you were denied the vote? If people bombed your church and nobody did anything? If your father was lynched in the middle of the night? If an adult spat on your child for trying to go to school

After reading this board I would assume most would go for their guns

Dr King saved us from that. We should all be grateful

Amen

The Irish were not discriminated against for 200 years. Their children did a pretty good job of passing for white

Dr King changed that

Without firing a shot

How would you react if you were denied the vote? If people bombed your church and nobody did anything? If your father was lynched in the middle of the night? If an adult spat on your child for trying to go to school

WTF is wrong with you. I agreed with you. MLK did many good things, where we differ is the claim that he "saved the country".

Who voted to pass the 1965 civil rights law in spite of democrat filibusters? any idea? Those are the people who saved the country in the context of race.

The Irish were not discriminated against for 200 years. Their children did a pretty good job of passing for white

grow up, my point is valid.

Comparing the plight of the Irish in America to that of blacks is not valid

Comparing the plight of the Irish in America to that of blacks is not valid

of course it is, discrimination is discrimination no matter who is being discriminated against.
When businesses put up signs saying "no Irish need apply" that was blatant discrimination. When there were black and white drinking fountains that was blatant discrimination.

When a black kid gets a college scholarship instead of a white or Asian kid with higher grades, that is blatant discrimination.

We don't fix past discrimination by practicing current discrimination.

martin luther N'er. king is the reason there were and still are race riots, murderers of other N'ers.., he was a devout COMMUNIST also!! :up:
Why we still need affirmative action

King was an alcoholic, whoremaster. He plagiarized his most famous speech from a republican. Had he not been assassinated he would have gone to prison for embezzlement of funds from the Ebenezer Church.

King was an alcoholic, whoremaster. He plagiarized his most famous speech from a republican. Had he not been assassinated he would have gone to prison for embezzlement of funds from the Ebenezer Church.
Still butt hurt after all these years

Just recognizing the facts. Coretta didn't dump King's ass because he was a nice guy. We teach lies in this country and MLK is one of the biggest.

Dr King changed that

Without firing a shot

Agree.

When our founding fathers wrote about "All Men are Created Equal" - that was a radical notion. So radical there was no way it could have been put into practice in 1776. It was more of a promise. That promise is a lot closer to becoming a reality thanks to MLK.

He did as much to fulfill that promise as any other founding father.

Dr King changed that

Without firing a shot

Had Dr King not pushed for equality, the GOP would have been happy retaining Jim crow. They won't. admit it now though.

Forum List

Back