🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Ebola 2020... Wuhan coronavirus

The common-cold argument doesn't cut it, because vaccines have failed for that, and there are vaccine revertants in coronaviruses. Currently, pangolin overtakes snake as intermediate host of COVID-19.

The point was......when the first guy showed up at the hospital with symptoms of a 'mysterious virus'.....it should have been their first clue to quarantine him until they figured it out.
Do you REALLY think that is how anything works? For one, they first have to figure out it is a virus. Second, there is no reason to go into panic mode because someone is ill with an unknown virus. Third, identifying the virus as a coronavirus not only takes time, but is not , itself, reason to quarantine someone. This is the family of viruses that, among other things, cause the common cold. Fourth, much more data is required to know the virulence or effects of a virus.

So, if you show up to a hospital with cold or flu symptoms, you should be immediately quarantined? Of course not.

We can look back and point at some mistakes, maybe, but not quarantining the first person with symptoms is not one of them.

you left out one very important clue in your rant...…….'mysterious' virus.

IOW, the first guy that showed up for treatment was exhibiting symptoms that didn't fit with KNOWN virus's and all that happened back in early December IIRC. So they already knew something about it then (unidentified mysterious virus) and should have taken action...…..then go thru the process of identifying/treating/etc.

Wuhan Coronavirus: China was warned in 2017 that a deadly virus could escape its level 4 safety lab in Wuhan

As the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak escalates, the only lab in China which is equipped to study and deal with such deadly and emerging infectious diseases is located in Wuhan -- the city where the virus first appeared.

Yeah, just WHAT are they not telling??
Possibly something like the virus MAY change patriotic, sane conservatives into insane, brain dead liberals? THAT would be horrific!

I was thinking more like this...…..

The lab -- the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory (Level 4) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences -- works with and studies the world’s most dangerous pathogens such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and Ebola. However, scientists had warned in 2017 that a dangerous virus could escape the lab. According to Nature, some scientists outside China were worried about pathogens escaping, and the addition of a “biological dimension to geopolitical tensions” between China and other nations.

They let it escape their own lab.

The first thing I thought of when I finished reading your post was the book The Stand.

If you haven't read it, read it but read the unedited edition. It's better. I've read both versions since the unedited version didn't come out until over a decade after the book was first released. Which is when I first read it.

I don't think that is going to happen. At least not in the developed world.

A lot of those who have died in China are people who didn't have access to proper medical care.

The world death toll is over 1 thousand now. With many thousands more either fighting the virus or have beaten the virus. It's not an automatic death sentence to anyone who is healthy and lives in a developed nation and has access to medical care.

I agree, those nations that have facilities that work with deadly viruses need to be properly regulated. In fact. Heavily regulated. When it comes to biological agents that can cause wide spread death and destruction, I don't believe there is ever too much security and regulation.

a book is fictional and this is reality.

China has or soon will be adopting a universal healthcare system, but even so, those in cities can still get free care while those outside cities may not and Wuhan is a city, so the first people to show up for care should have been quarantined especially with the lab in town until they had better answers. IF they had done so, this virus wouldn't be as epidemic as it is.

China to Introduce Universal Health Care

People who live in cities who are in need of health care can at least nominally present themselves to a hospital and receive care at no charge.

the care they do receive may not be of quality under more normal circumstances, but showing up with an 'unknown or mysterious' virus should have prompted immediate action

Yes I know that book is a work of fiction.

My main point, calm down. It is a work of fiction but your post sounds a lot like that work of fiction. And just like that work of fiction, your paranoia is over something that is never going to happen.

No I didn't. I clearly mentioned you showing up to the hospital with cold or flu symptoms. At that point, you have a "mysterious" virus. And you ignored this point.

Second, I clearly mentioned that it takes time to identify a virus, which would have to be done in order to identify it as "new".

Third, I mentioned that, once identified, a new virus in the family of cold viruses is not good reason to panic yet. You would first have to know how virulent and deadly it is, which takes time and more data.

So, in reality, I clearly spoke to that point, while you ignored my points.

The point was......when the first guy showed up at the hospital with symptoms of a 'mysterious virus'.....it should have been their first clue to quarantine him until they figured it out.
Do you REALLY think that is how anything works? For one, they first have to figure out it is a virus. Second, there is no reason to go into panic mode because someone is ill with an unknown virus. Third, identifying the virus as a coronavirus not only takes time, but is not , itself, reason to quarantine someone. This is the family of viruses that, among other things, cause the common cold. Fourth, much more data is required to know the virulence or effects of a virus.

So, if you show up to a hospital with cold or flu symptoms, you should be immediately quarantined? Of course not.

We can look back and point at some mistakes, maybe, but not quarantining the first person with symptoms is not one of them.

IOW, the first guy that showed up for treatment was exhibiting symptoms that didn't fit with KNOWN virus's and all that happened back in early December IIRC. So they already knew something about it then (unidentified mysterious virus) and should have taken action...…..then go thru the process of identifying/treating/etc.

Actually you start with the wrong facts.

It wasn't mysterious when the first people showed up with it. The doctors believed it was pneumonia. They just didn't have a clear cause for the pneumonia.

2019–20 Wuhan coronavirus outbreak - Wikipedia

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 2.32.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 2.35.45 PM.png

No I didn't. I clearly mentioned you showing up to the hospital with cold or flu symptoms. At that point, you have a "mysterious" virus. And you ignored this point.

Second, I clearly mentioned that it takes time to identify a virus, which would have to be done in order to identify it as "new".

Third, I mentioned that, once identified, a new virus in the family of cold viruses is not good reason to panic yet. You would first have to know how virulent and deadly it is, which takes time and more data.

So, in reality, I clearly spoke to that point, while you ignored my points.

Again.....the main point of my argument is 'MYSTERIOUS' symptoms AKA atypical AKA not the same as your run of the mill cold or flu symptoms and in fact the cold/flu isn't what's been reported but a pneumonia-like virus.

China already knew this was different than normal virus's way back in early December and possibly even before that. By the time this went public they had already determined it wasn't SARS or EBOLA or a number of other such illnesses.

They didn't identify the virus until sometime in January.

Ya know, if you're so bored as to pick up a fight over something I quit responding to nearly 3 weeks ago...…….you need to find another candidate. Cause I'm not going to keep repeating and reposting links that you've ignored. Go back & read & re-read and if you don't like any of it, do your own damn searches

Wuhan Coronavirus: China was warned in 2017 that a deadly virus could escape its level 4 safety lab in Wuhan

As the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak escalates, the only lab in China which is equipped to study and deal with such deadly and emerging infectious diseases is located in Wuhan -- the city where the virus first appeared.

Yeah, just WHAT are they not telling??
Possibly something like the virus MAY change patriotic, sane conservatives into insane, brain dead liberals? THAT would be horrific!

I was thinking more like this...…..

The lab -- the Wuhan National Biosafety Laboratory (Level 4) of the Chinese Academy of Sciences -- works with and studies the world’s most dangerous pathogens such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and Ebola. However, scientists had warned in 2017 that a dangerous virus could escape the lab. According to Nature, some scientists outside China were worried about pathogens escaping, and the addition of a “biological dimension to geopolitical tensions” between China and other nations.

They let it escape their own lab.

The first thing I thought of when I finished reading your post was the book The Stand.

If you haven't read it, read it but read the unedited edition. It's better. I've read both versions since the unedited version didn't come out until over a decade after the book was first released. Which is when I first read it.

I don't think that is going to happen. At least not in the developed world.

A lot of those who have died in China are people who didn't have access to proper medical care.

The world death toll is over 1 thousand now. With many thousands more either fighting the virus or have beaten the virus. It's not an automatic death sentence to anyone who is healthy and lives in a developed nation and has access to medical care.

I agree, those nations that have facilities that work with deadly viruses need to be properly regulated. In fact. Heavily regulated. When it comes to biological agents that can cause wide spread death and destruction, I don't believe there is ever too much security and regulation.

a book is fictional and this is reality.

China has or soon will be adopting a universal healthcare system, but even so, those in cities can still get free care while those outside cities may not and Wuhan is a city, so the first people to show up for care should have been quarantined especially with the lab in town until they had better answers. IF they had done so, this virus wouldn't be as epidemic as it is.

China to Introduce Universal Health Care

People who live in cities who are in need of health care can at least nominally present themselves to a hospital and receive care at no charge.

the care they do receive may not be of quality under more normal circumstances, but showing up with an 'unknown or mysterious' virus should have prompted immediate action

Yes I know that book is a work of fiction.

My main point, calm down. It is a work of fiction but your post sounds a lot like that work of fiction. And just like that work of fiction, your paranoia is over something that is never going to happen.

Actually you start with the wrong facts.

It wasn't mysterious when the first people showed up with it. The doctors believed it was pneumonia. They just didn't have a clear cause for the pneumonia.

2019–20 Wuhan coronavirus outbreak - Wikipedia

View attachment 306882 View attachment 306883

As with your buddy...…..go back & read thru the posts & links, or do your own search.

Forum List

Back