"Educated"Blue State NY : 80% high school grads can't read!

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Nearly 80 percent of New York City high school graduates need to relearn basic skills before they can enter the City University’s community college system. They had to re-learn basic skills — reading, writing and math — first before they could begin college courses.
In sheer numbers it means that nearly 11,000 kids who got diplomas from city high schools needed remedial courses to re-learn the basics.
Officials: 80 Percent Of Recent NYC High School Graduates Cannot Read « CBS New York

They know what's important. I would bet that every one of them knows how to masturbate. They know how to engage is anal sex as safely as possible.

Here is where it gets into foolishness. These students are sent to remedial education, then expected to enter college and perform college level course work with what is basically a 4th grade education. They learn how to read but have read few books.

They know what's important. I would bet that every one of them knows how to masturbate. They know how to engage is anal sex as safely as possible.

Here is where it gets into foolishness. These students are sent to remedial education, then expected to enter college and perform college level course work with what is basically a 4th grade education. They learn how to read but have read few books.

Good points! I wrote this topic to "balance" the "Red State Voucher" thread!

But it truly isn't necessary for these grads to read as long as they can sign their entitlement checks!

Hoping for a job as a tutor, Butt Cheeks?

But it truly isn't necessary for these grads to read as long as they can sign their entitlement checks!

NYC has a population just slightly over the state of Virginia and I'm sure they pay much more in taxes and get much less federal spending than Virginia does.

They know the difference between transgender and transsexual,how to put a condom on a guy (girls are taught this in the 4th grade)what a lipstick lesbian is as opposed to a bull dyke.

Hmmm I wonder where Rachel Maddow fits in there.

Well Liberals want to focus on the important stuff in a Liberal society.
Fuck reading and writing and that old fashioned crap.

They've been drinking too much sugar with their Kool-Aid. Bloomberg should have been onto this long ago.....:badgrin:

These students will expect (and probably get) the same kind of social promotion and grade inflation they got all through school. Instead of books, they will get lectures that they won't attend but will be able to buy a recording from someone who set up a recording device.

Our educational system is designed to not only fail to educate, but prevent education.

I'll bet you do too. Did you learn how to do that in school or did it just come naturally?

I'll bet you do too. Did you learn how to do that in school or did it just come naturally?

In a better world, you would be horrified that 80% of students that had gone through the educational system get out and cannot read. But, you're not. Instead you are concerned with something I might do or not do.

This isn't a better world. This is the liberal world where education isn't last on the list, it's not even on the list. The question is, should we be concerned at all, that students graduating high school cannot read, or just be disgusted at the liberal vision that created this situation in the first place?

There is something viscerally abhorrent about a culture that does this to its young. These students will enter the world. Not New York, the world unable to compete with students from India, China, Japan, and expensive private schools in Europe. These students will expect that they will be supported by the efforts of others.

We have become Portugal.

One thing the union based education exceeds in is self esteem. Now we have a generation of morons who feel good about themselves.

One thing the union based education exceeds in is self esteem. Now we have a generation of morons who feel good about themselves.

And, you see the liberal opinion of that don't you? The liberal opinion is abundantly clear just from the liberal posters here. They don't even have the integrity to be ashamed of what they have done.

NYC has a population just slightly over the state of Virginia and I'm sure they pay much more in taxes and get much less federal spending than Virginia does.

Well again... what f..k is problem being smart and use the Internet to keep from GUESSING????
FACTS:
New yorkers after deducting the $2,666 in federal aid per person paid $10,111 in federal taxes or 78%
Virginians.. after deducting the $1,095 in federal aid per person paid $6,042 in taxes or 86%!
Which group got a better deal???
New Yorkers who after deducting Federal aid paid 78% or Virginians who paid after aid 86%???
Hmmm.. Seems like YOUR GUESS was ALL WET!!!

Sources if you take the time to find out rather then do as most of you idiots do...GUESS!!!!
FACTS!
Federal Aid to State and Local Governments - The 2012 Statistical Abstract - U.S. Census Bureau
Table 433. Federal Aid to State and Local Governments by State: 2000 to 2009
"Table 1. Annual Estimates of the Population for the United States, Regions, States, and Puerto Rico:
April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012"
Population Estimates - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau
Federal tax revenue by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I get so tired of idiots like you spouting off stupid guesses when all you need to do is get your FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

Based on the actual content of the linked article and the thread title the OP decided on, I can think of another person who is in need of some remedial reading courses.

If money was the determining factor the Kansas City school experiment would have been a resounding success instead of the expensive and abject failure that it was.

Money And School Performance: Lessons from the Kansas City Desegregation Experiment

Kansas City spent as much as $11,700 per pupil--more money per pupil, on a cost of living adjusted basis, than any other of the 280 largest districts in the country. The money bought higher teachers' salaries, 15 new schools, and such amenities as an Olympic-sized swimming pool with an underwater viewing room, television and animation studios, a robotics lab, a 25-acre wildlife sanctuary, a zoo, a model United Nations with simultaneous translation capability, and field trips to Mexico and Senegal. The student-teacher ratio was 12 or 13 to 1, the lowest of any major school district in the country.

The results were dismal. Test scores did not rise

I would bet that every one of them knows how to masturbate. They know how to engage is anal sex as safely as possible.

Maybe the sexually repressed deviants on the right could get some more sexually repressed laws passed. That's a hell of a lot more important than fixing our completely dysfunctional education system.

There is something viscerally abhorrent about a culture that does this to its young. These students will enter the world. Not New York, the world unable to compete with students from India, China, Japan, and expensive private schools in Europe. These students will expect that they will be supported by the efforts of others.

We have become Portugal.

Naw. Portugal's students are multilingual.

Portugal

Weak Educational System Hobbles Portugal - WSJ.com

LISBON—Isabel Fernandes, a cheery 22-year-old with a constellation of stars tattooed around her right eye, isn't sure how many times she repeated fifth grade. Two, she says with a laugh. Or maybe three. She redid seventh grade as well. She quit school with an eighth-grade education at age 20.

Portugal is the poorest country in Western Europe. It is also the least educated, and that has emerged as a painful liability in its gathering economic crisis.

ust 28% of the Portuguese population between 25 and 64 has completed high school. The figure is 85% in Germany, 91% in the Czech Republic and 89% in the U.S.

"I don't see how it is going to grow without educating its work force," says Pedro Carneiro, an economist at University College London who left Portugal to do his postgraduate studies in the U.S.

The education woes in Portugal show the extent of Europe's challenge as it tries to right itself amid the sovereign-debt crisis.

Yep, we've become Portugal.

Forum List

Back