Electric Cars Great....Indoors

This is cool...

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/2-000-horsepower-electric-dragster-sets-drag-record-160009835.html

2,000-Horsepower Electric Dragster Sets New Drag Record: Video

Yeah…like electric needs to be used indoors as well….where do some people GET this stuff!!

Zero to 60 in less than a second…who would even have the basement to run this thing in!

killacycle72-450.jpg

Oh, nooooo!

Not more bad news for our Warmist pals!

Yup.....AAA tested electric cars and found they perform poorly in cold weather......

....and in hot weather.

1. "The average electric vehicle battery range for each full charge in AAA's test was 105 miles at 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. That dropped 57% to 43 miles when the temperature was held steady at 20 degrees.

3. Warm temperatures were not as stressful but still delivered a lower average of 69 miles per full charge at 95 degrees, AAA said.

4. The AAA Automotive Research Center in Southern California found that the average range of an electric car dropped 57% in very cold weather – at 20 degrees Fahrenheit – and by 33% in extreme heat, a temperature of 95 degrees.

5. .....we did not expect the degradation we saw," said Greg Brannon, AAA's director of automotive engineering.....a 2013 Nissan Leaf, a 2012 Mitsubishi iMIEV and a 2014 Ford Focus Electric Vehicle....

a. ...The three vehicles chosen were selected because they're the most widely available electric cars in the USA,...

6. ....two of the vehicles, ... were equipped with dedicated management of the battery temperature.
"We were expecting that difference would yield differences in the optimal range of the vehicles in extreme temperatures," he said. "It did not."

7. Among AAA's recommendations: storing the electric car in a garage; monitoring recharge times in colder weather; preheating or cooling the car while it's plugged in to reduce battery drain, and using electric seat heaters to keep warm."
AAA: Range of electric cars cut in cold, hot weather

So.....as long as the temperature is 75 degrees.....you're fine.

Only driving indoors is the answer......

Or......hope for global warming.

14364739_1940010566225960_1321892533538141307_n.jpg

Oh, nooooo!

Yup.....AAA tested electric cars and found they perform poorly in cold weather......

....and in hot weather.

1. "The average electric vehicle battery range for each full charge in AAA's test was 105 miles at 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. That dropped 57% to 43 miles when the temperature was held steady at 20 degrees.

3. Warm temperatures were not as stressful but still delivered a lower average of 69 miles per full charge at 95 degrees, AAA said.

4. The AAA Automotive Research Center in Southern California found that the average range of an electric car dropped 57% in very cold weather – at 20 degrees Fahrenheit – and by 33% in extreme heat, a temperature of 95 degrees.

5. .....we did not expect the degradation we saw," said Greg Brannon, AAA's director of automotive engineering.....a 2013 Nissan Leaf, a 2012 Mitsubishi iMIEV and a 2014 Ford Focus Electric Vehicle....

a. ...The three vehicles chosen were selected because they're the most widely available electric cars in the USA,...

6. ....two of the vehicles, ... were equipped with dedicated management of the battery temperature.
"We were expecting that difference would yield differences in the optimal range of the vehicles in extreme temperatures," he said. "It did not."

7. Among AAA's recommendations: storing the electric car in a garage; monitoring recharge times in colder weather; preheating or cooling the car while it's plugged in to reduce battery drain, and using electric seat heaters to keep warm."

14364739_1940010566225960_1321892533538141307_n.jpg
So, you are stupid enough to run this again. The Prius has a gasoline engine. So, if it needs a charge, there is something else wrong. Only are really stupid sucker would post a picture like that. Guess that describes you.

Electric engines will always have a huge advantage in acceleration, so they are perfect for motorcycles. The magnetic field produces immediate torque, thanks to the bio savard Laplace law of field to current interactions. Combustion engines need to rev up first.

The problem is ranging, so can't carry big loads too far, like a car. This is because there is no way to pack as many lithium atoms in the same volume as covalent bonds in gasoline. So the energy density of batteries will always be lower.

Electric engines will always have a huge advantage in acceleration, so they are perfect for motorcycles. The magnetic field produces immediate torque, thanks to the bio savard Laplace law of field to current interactions. Combustion engines need to rev up first.

The problem is ranging, so can't carry big loads too far, like a car. This is because there is no way to pack as many lithium atoms in the same volume as covalent bonds in gasoline. So the energy density of batteries will always be lower.

from what i read you get about a 100 miles with this bike on a good day

not really that great

cool bike though

not really that great

cool bike though

I am working with a physics student here, to discover how high energy tunneling can be used for transportation. The idea is that using the same types of techniques as micro electronics uses like e.g. in the good old tunnel diode, we can scale up the energy levels, and use some naturally available global energy gradient to induce a tunneling current. For example against geo thermal energy. Such a technology would not require immobile installations like chargers or gas stations.

not really that great

cool bike though
Yes, that is the case with the present batteries. However, there are several types of batteries being tested that can increase that range by a factor of 2 to 5 times.

Partly true. Have a look at what they are playing with in Lithium Air, and Zinc Air batteries. The technology is really just getting off the ground.

not really that great

cool bike though
Yes, that is the case with the present batteries. However, there are several types of batteries being tested that can increase that range by a factor of 2 to 5 times.

they have been saying that for a long time

im not holding my breath for it to happen

Current battery tech has been working okay for normal commuting. The wife didn't use any gasoline from July to December in her plug in hybrid, and it only has 20 miles of range. The old Volt was nice, but wasn't as good as making the transition to pure highway traveler. The parallel system in the Ford does it better.

Current battery tech has been working okay for normal commuting. The wife didn't use any gasoline from July to December in her plug in hybrid, and it only has 20 miles of range. The old Volt was nice, but wasn't as good as making the transition to pure highway traveler. The parallel system in the Ford does it better.

true

out here though one can easily put on a hundred miles or more in a day

Normally, I don't drive more than 20 miles in a day. However, when I go looking at rocks, 500 miles a day is not unusual. So a plugin hybrid mini-van hybrid would be ideal for me, until they develop the high density batteries. However, since I always drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off, they have plenty of time to develop those by the time I wear out my present vehicles.

Normally, I don't drive more than 20 miles in a day. However, when I go looking at rocks, 500 miles a day is not unusual. So a plugin hybrid mini-van hybrid would be ideal for me, until they develop the high density batteries. However, since I always drive my vehicles until the wheels fall off, they have plenty of time to develop those by the time I wear out my present vehicles.

you bet

when they can get some good range on them

i certainly will have one

Partly true. Have a look at what they are playing with in Lithium Air, and Zinc Air batteries. The technology is really just getting off the ground.

Okay, what is the maximum density for lithium? If it could be a hunk of metal, which it can't be because it oxidizes in a flash, the distance between the lithium atoms would be like ~ 10 Angstrom = 1 nanometer. This is already a little longer than the distance between the carbon and hydrogen atoms in gasoline. Then the energy held in the hydrocarbon bond is covalent, which is higher than the metallic lithium bonds. Or do you mean making a salt structure for the lithium? That would have ionic bonds, which lowers the density even more. I don't know how this is possible.

© Argonne National Laboratory
Lithium-air batteries excite alternative energy fans because they can store up to ten times the energy of today's lithium-ion batteries, an energy density similar to that of gasoline. But skeptics note that lithium peroxide by-products in the lithium-air reactions quickly contaminate the cathode, killing the battery, and the open design required to get enough air to the reaction point for efficiency poses problems.

Breakthough in lithium-air batteries

I was being conservative with the comparison for Lithium-air to Lithium-ion.

A Battery Made From Metal and Air Is Electrifying the Developing World

And zinc-air is already being used.

true

out here though one can easily put on a hundred miles or more in a day

EV mass produced battery tech in America, with 40 miles of range is good enough for about 75% of American commuting mileage. Of critical importance seeing as how we are the most wasteful crude consumers in the world, so replacing every one of our ICE powered machines is of greater value than just about any other citizen doing it. But with the Bolt able to hit 200+ miles on a charge, the problem from my perspective is mostly I don't like the idea of installing a 220V charger. I'm happy using normal household current, because the wife doesn't even need the 20 miles in range she has available most of the time. Suburbia having its advantages of everything being relatively close together.

Oh, nooooo!

....and in hot weather.

The golf course sure is buzy with them thar electric horseless carriages...

Forum List

Back