Electric cars

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Any questions?

14364739_1940010566225960_1321892533538141307_n.jpg

The power most often comes off the grid. The grid is most often fed by turbines fed by natural gas fired boilers. It's all pretty much still dependent upon fossil fuels.

Does that pic in the op look like its in the woods? And what powers your charger?

I will wait for you to post a link for that specific charger.

Here I posted a link in my original post..

car charging centers - Google Search

They are advancing everyday, some cars can be charged with solar power..

Solar Powered Cars - Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

The power most often comes off the grid. The grid is most often fed by turbines fed by natural gas fired boilers. It's all pretty much still dependent upon fossil fuels.

Solar

Not even close.

What are you talking about , I see solar powered cars all of the time.

View attachment 104841View attachment 104843

Arc-2.JPG

Nothing happening fast at that "solar parking" spot if the PANELS are doing the charging. Not big enough to provide power for all those cars. In many cases, this is a FEEL GOOD public relations deal where the panels are just providing a modest amount to grid. Whilst the CARS are sucking 240V 20Amps each from the grid.. That's MEDIUM charging speed. An eight hour "meal" to "fill the tank" at that rate.

Nissan Leaf is 30KW-hr capacity. That's 25% MORE than the average US home uses in a FULL 24 hours. Solar is good for about 6 or 8 hours in the day. Do the math. Don't be a victim of photo op propaganda.

Last edited:

Does that pic in the op look like its in the woods? And what powers your charger?

I will wait for you to post a link for that specific charger.

Here I posted a link in my original post..

car charging centers - Google Search

They are advancing everyday, some cars can be charged with solar power..

Solar Powered Cars - Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

I asked for specific...

You gave me propaganda..

Again...

The U. S. Uses 91% fossil fuel, 9% green energy most of it hydro and bio fuel.

Solar

Not even close.

What are you talking about , I see solar powered cars all of the time.

View attachment 104841View attachment 104843

Arc-2.JPG

Yes indeed. These are posing for the camera. When the owner drives them home, he will plug them in to an outlet and suck electricity from a fossil fuel grid. The same grid that heats and cools his home, lights his home, dries his clothes, and cooks his meals.

You are right, but technology is moving so fast...Although I disagree with the OP I have never seen a charge station run on gas..

I am not a Hi tech guy, but I see these solar panels all over, like google ... Little tiny cars on the freeway ( I would never drive one)

The Future of Solar And Electrical Vehicles

Students design a solar-powered car that can travel more than 600 miles fully charged

Despite the limitations of batteries, the tremendous efforts devoted to research have resulted in technological breakthroughs in the development of batteries and EV prototypes. The energy density of the batteries has been extended up to 200 Wh/kg in lithium-polymer and zinc bromine batteries, a level far greater than the typical value of 40 to 50 Wh/kg for lead-acid batteries, but still far below the energy density of gasoline (Oman and Gross). The typical limited driving range of 100 miles between recharging has been surpassed by the BMWE2, which traveled 267 miles on a sodium-sulfur battery, (O'Brien, 41) and German postal trucks, which have a maximum range of 186 miles and can obtain a top speed of 66 mph (Oman and Gross, 29). There have also been improvements in recharging times and lifetime of batteries. "Quick-charging" batteries can be recharged on the order of five to fifteen minutes, depending on the level that they have been drained, though these batteries are still highly experimental (ABCs, 36)

Tesla, America's finest coal powered car.

Fly in comment with nothing to back it up...:slap:
lol....wrong!

About Tesla | Tesla

Tesla Motors was founded in 2003 by a group of engineers in Silicon Valley who wanted to prove that electric cars could be better than gasoline-powered cars. With instant torque, incredible power, and zero emissions, Tesla’s products would be cars without compromise. Each new generation would be increasingly affordable, helping the company work towards its mission: to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable transport.

You are right, but technology is moving so fast...Although I disagree with the OP I have never seen a charge station run on gas..

I am not a Hi tech guy, but I see these solar panels all over, like google ... Little tiny cars on the freeway ( I would never drive one)

Students design a solar-powered car that can travel more than 600 miles fully charged

Despite the limitations of batteries, the tremendous efforts devoted to research have resulted in technological breakthroughs in the development of batteries and EV prototypes. The energy density of the batteries has been extended up to 200 Wh/kg in lithium-polymer and zinc bromine batteries, a level far greater than the typical value of 40 to 50 Wh/kg for lead-acid batteries, but still far below the energy density of gasoline (Oman and Gross). The typical limited driving range of 100 miles between recharging has been surpassed by the BMWE2, which traveled 267 miles on a sodium-sulfur battery, (O'Brien, 41) and German postal trucks, which have a maximum range of 186 miles and can obtain a top speed of 66 mph (Oman and Gross, 29). There have also been improvements in recharging times and lifetime of batteries. "Quick-charging" batteries can be recharged on the order of five to fifteen minutes, depending on the level that they have been drained, though these batteries are still highly experimental (ABCs, 36)

None of the "hopey" stuff you posted is really impressive. Samsung pushed "energy density" in battery packs to it's logical flame out. It's not the weight or size of the batteries that is the problem, it's the cost and LIFETIME.

Have you SEEN the car that those students designed? I did.. It's a bike frame with a fiber shell. NOT a car. Good for students. Kudos. BAD for an honest appraisal of how fast this technology is gonna grow anymore. It's pretty much matured. Otherwise some MAJOR auto factory would be PROJECTING higher ranges.

Better chance of saving gasoline is NOT to use the grid at all to replace it. Hydrogen fuel cell cars DO have a lot of room left for improvements. And several majors are prioritizing them HIGHER than battery cars. And you can make Hydrogen for virtually NOTHING off grid with wind and solar and store it. It's a better SYSTEM design..

lol....wrong!

About Tesla | Tesla

Tesla Motors was founded in 2003 by a group of engineers in Silicon Valley who wanted to prove that electric cars could be better than gasoline-powered cars. With instant torque, incredible power, and zero emissions, Tesla’s products would be cars without compromise. Each new generation would be increasingly affordable, helping the company work towards its mission: to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable transport.

Sorry, are you suggesting that two thirds of America's electricity is NOT generated by fossil fuels?

Assuming you're not denying reality, how exactly do you think electric cars are powered? Fairy dust?

None of the "hopey" stuff you posted is really impressive. Samsung pushed "energy density" in battery packs to it's logical flame out. It's not the weight or size of the batteries that is the problem, it's the cost and LIFETIME.

Have you SEEN the car that those students designed? I did.. It's a bike frame with a fiber shell. NOT a car. Good for students. Kudos. BAD for an honest appraisal of how fast this technology is gonna grow anymore. It's pretty much matured. Otherwise some MAJOR auto factory would be PROJECTING higher ranges.

Better chance of saving gasoline is NOT to use the grid at all to replace it. Hydrogen fuel cell cars DO have a lot of room left for improvements. And several majors are prioritizing them HIGHER than battery cars. And you can make Hydrogen for virtually NOTHING off grid with wind and solar and store it. It's a better SYSTEM design..

Like I said, I am not a hi tech guy.. and from what I have been reading you are correct..

We are in the pioneer stage though , exciting too.

But...will you agree that they do not use gas like the OP suggests?

lol....wrong!

About Tesla | Tesla

Sorry, are you suggesting that two thirds of America's electricity is NOT generated by fossil fuels?

Assuming you're not denying reality, how exactly do you think electric cars are powered? Fairy dust?

Yes you are right..lol.. but wind stations, damns, and solar are helping too.

We have solar on our home and its great, helps a lot..

Like I said, I am not a hi tech guy.. and from what I have been reading you are correct..

We are in the pioneer stage though , exciting too.

But...will you agree that they do not use gas like the OP suggests?

Except in areas where electricity is generated by nuclear or hydroelectric power, they are powered by fossil fuels. But yes, I understand they do not carry petroleum on board.

Forum List

Back