EPA To Alaskans In Sub-Zero Temps: Stop Burning Wood To Keep Warm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/25/us/alaskans-cost-of-staying-warm-a-thick-coat-of-dirty-air.html

“It’s all one thing — when you most need the heat is when you’re most apt to create a serious air pollution problem for yourself and the people in your community,” said Tim Hamlin, the director of the office of air and waste at the E.P.A.’s Region 10, which includes Alaska.

And forces are now converging to heighten the tension in this seemingly unlikely pollution story. Civil fines by Fairbanks North Star Borough — which includes the cities of Fairbanks and North Pole, with a total population of about 100,000 — could be assessed in coming days against residential polluters. The E.P.A. could declare the entire area to be in “serious” noncompliance of the Clean Air Act early next year, with potentially huge economic implications, including a cutoff of federal transportation funds.

Residents are also trapped, he said, by economics. Natural gas, a much cleaner fuel source, is not widely available in this part of Alaska, and heating oil can be very expensive. Oil also produces particulate pollution, though less than wood. A study for the borough last year said residents here spent, on average, almost four times the national average in annual heating costs.

Mr. Hamlin, the E.P.A. official, said his agency was definitely not trying to take away anyone’s wood stove, or make life more expensive. But he said the Clean Air Act, passed by Congress in 1970, requires a standard of breathable air for all Americans. The E.P.A. was given the job of enforcing that standard.

“We don’t want to be telling people what to do, but the standard is what it is, and we want to work with you to be able to get there,” he said.

Makes you wonder how human kind survived for thousands of years without agencies like this.
Dumb fuck, about 100 years ago, average life span was like 45 years. Our modern medical system has about doubled that for those that take care of themselves. And, yes, government agencies like those in the other first world nations, do indeed, have a good deal to do with that. We lack those agencies, and, consequently,

And consequently the money to fund such bullshit. What don't you liberals understand about the word broke?

Broke means no money.
Broke likely means in debt.
Broke means failure.

Why liberals are always for failure is beyond me. But it's not your business how long people live no matter how much you wish it was. People didn't have an average lifespan of 45 years old because they were cooking or staying warm with wood.

BROKE, eh. Well let me tell you of this wonderful cure for that. Called WORK, comes with a JOB. Now, go out and get a JOB, do some WORK, and you will no longer be BROKE.

This is nothing new. Here's an article about how they wanted to tackle people that use wood for cooking in their stoves:

EPA to give grants to fight cooking stove pollution
You dumb lying shit, that is not what the article says at all. They want to find a technological fix to creating a wood burning stove or method that would result in less indoor smoke pollution from cooking fires.

EPA to give grants to fight cooking stove pollution

Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Gina McCarthy is set to unveil Tuesday six federal grants to universities to fund research on clean cooking-stove technology.

The announcement will put the EPA’s resources squarely behind a United Nations’ quest for cleaner burning stoves and an end to deadly cooking pollution.

“This research will help to improve air quality, protect public health and slow climate change,” the EPA said in explaining why the agency chief will preside over the announcement Tuesday.

To make the case for why these grants are so important, EPA noted the World Health Organization estimates that exposure to smoke from traditional cookstoves and open pit fires leads to 4.3 million premature deaths each year.
The fact is, though, most of the problem lives far from the shores of the U.S., where most Americans have modern gas and electric stoves.

Rather, the target of this research are the 3 billion people, mostly in the developing world, who still cook using solid fuels like wood, crop wastes, charcoal, coal and dung in open fires or leaky stoves, according to the World Health Organization.

Yeah, so what did I lie about?
Pretty damned obvious, cocksuck. You stated the EPA was going after people that burned wood for cooking. They are trying to find an applicable technology that would allow them to burn the same fuel without adversly affecting their health. Quite an obvious lie.

And that's not "tackling" people who use wood? Then what is it? Nobody asked for their help or yours. You libs are always sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.
LOL Repeating the lie does not make it so. You are an idiot.

OP is saying that people in 2017 can't be warm unless they burn stuff. Rofl
Okay Brainiac tell them how to do it. It can go to 70 below in Fairbanks. The big old oil pipeline runs right through there, they could tap that, a few seals, a whale or ten, solar is out, in the winter they will do well to get 2 hours of very weak sunshine. Shall we build them a nuclear plant?

I don't have to tell them. Do you burn shit to keep warm? If not have you frozen to death yet? Those are the only two choices according to the OP. When did you die?
I get my heat and cooling through coal fired power plants. Does Fairbanks have coal fired power plants?

OP is saying that people in 2017 can't be warm unless they burn stuff. Rofl
Okay Brainiac tell them how to do it. It can go to 70 below in Fairbanks. The big old oil pipeline runs right through there, they could tap that, a few seals, a whale or ten, solar is out, in the winter they will do well to get 2 hours of very weak sunshine. Shall we build them a nuclear plant?

I don't have to tell them. Do you burn shit to keep warm? If not have you frozen to death yet? Those are the only two choices according to the OP. When did you die?
I get my heat and cooling through coal fired power plants. Does Fairbanks have coal fired power plants?

And there is your answer. There is more than just burning shit as the only option to keep warm. The OP says that is the only way humans in 2017 can not die.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/25/us/alaskans-cost-of-staying-warm-a-thick-coat-of-dirty-air.html

“It’s all one thing — when you most need the heat is when you’re most apt to create a serious air pollution problem for yourself and the people in your community,” said Tim Hamlin, the director of the office of air and waste at the E.P.A.’s Region 10, which includes Alaska.

And forces are now converging to heighten the tension in this seemingly unlikely pollution story. Civil fines by Fairbanks North Star Borough — which includes the cities of Fairbanks and North Pole, with a total population of about 100,000 — could be assessed in coming days against residential polluters. The E.P.A. could declare the entire area to be in “serious” noncompliance of the Clean Air Act early next year, with potentially huge economic implications, including a cutoff of federal transportation funds.

Residents are also trapped, he said, by economics. Natural gas, a much cleaner fuel source, is not widely available in this part of Alaska, and heating oil can be very expensive. Oil also produces particulate pollution, though less than wood. A study for the borough last year said residents here spent, on average, almost four times the national average in annual heating costs.

Mr. Hamlin, the E.P.A. official, said his agency was definitely not trying to take away anyone’s wood stove, or make life more expensive. But he said the Clean Air Act, passed by Congress in 1970, requires a standard of breathable air for all Americans. The E.P.A. was given the job of enforcing that standard.

“We don’t want to be telling people what to do, but the standard is what it is, and we want to work with you to be able to get there,” he said.

Makes you wonder how human kind survived for thousands of years without agencies like this.
Dumb fuck, about 100 years ago, average life span was like 45 years. Our modern medical system has about doubled that for those that take care of themselves. And, yes, government agencies like those in the other first world nations, do indeed, have a good deal to do with that. We lack those agencies, and, consequently,

And consequently the money to fund such bullshit. What don't you liberals understand about the word broke?

Broke means no money.
Broke means failure.

Why liberals are always for failure is beyond me. But it's not your business how long people live no matter how much you wish it was. People didn't have an average lifespan of 45 years old because they were cooking or staying warm with wood.

BROKE, eh. Well let me tell you of this wonderful cure for that. Called WORK, comes with a JOB. Now, go out and get a JOB, do some WORK, and you will no longer be BROKE.

You illiterate. I was talking about our federal government.......you know, 20 trillion in debt and growing?

Apparently heating oil is too expensive and natural gas is not available.

Broke means no money.
Broke means failure.

You illiterate. I was talking about our federal government.......you know, 20 trillion in debt and growing?

Mostly caused by your wars and unwilliness to fix our healthcare system. Cutting infrastructure and education isn't going to fix shit.

Trees are replaceable. Are plentiful in Alaska. So when aAl fucking Gore stops flying around in jet aerplanes we can ask Alaskans to stop burning wood! Deal?

Broke means no money.
Broke means failure.

Mostly caused by your wars and unwilliness to fix our healthcare system. Cutting infrastructure and education isn't going to fix shit.

Our healthcare system is fixed already. Everybody is insured. Didn't you ever hear of Obama Care? Yes, every single Republican voted against it, but look how well it worked out. Infrastructure? Yes, that was solved as well. Ever hear of the Stimulus Bill, or better known as the Pork bill? Yeah, it fixed every road in the country.

The OP says that is the only way humans in 2017 can not die.

why do our friends on the left and in the media insist on lying?

even when the truth would suit them better?

I said no such thing

I will say this now - the gub-mint should not be involved with telling us how to stay warm

Broke means no money.
Broke means failure.

Our healthcare system is fixed already. Everybody is insured. Didn't you ever hear of Obama Care? Yes, every single Republican voted against it, but look how well it worked out. Infrastructure? Yes, that was solved as well. Ever hear of the Stimulus Bill, or better known as the Pork bill? Yeah, it fixed every road in the country.

The stimulus bill was designed to fix every road in the country? Did you fall on your head over the weekend, Goober?

jack-torrance.png

Give the man some clean air, he really needs it!

What should be known about these extreme environmentalists is that they refer to humanity as the ultimate pollutant that must be removed at all costs. Without people nature would live in perfect harmony, apparently...

Liberals don't look at the earth as a planet God created for humans, they look at humans as an intruder.

When you say 'God' what are you referring to? Allah?

You are confused. That's not my God, that's Obama's.

Is your God the God of the Bible?

The stimulus bill added about 15-20 billion to infrastructure for about 2 years. Ever since that time about 6 years ago infrastructure funding have fallen to levels not seen in about 70 years.

It is a joke that you don't do any research of this subject. Sad.

We have shit to show for the nearly trillion obummer squandered on a stimulus bill. Zero, zip, nada!

Ordinances and Regulations for Wood Burning Appliances | Burn Wise | US EPA
Ordinances and Regulations for Wood Burning Appliances | Burn Wise | US EPA - US Environmental Protection Agency
United States Environmental Protection Agency | US EPA › burnwise › ordina...
Only pellet stoves, gas stoves, and EPA-certified wood stoves can be sold. Wood-burning limited on days when air pollution approaches unhealthy levels. Limits on the number of wood stoves or fireplaces that can be installed in new residential units. ... The installation of new wood-burning stoves or fireplaces is banned.

This is textbook RWnut fake news. Alaska is not about to ban wood stoves. The EPA is not about to force Alaska to ban wood stoves.

Jesus, people.

Funny that your links don't go to what you quote.

EPA To Alaskans In Sub-Zero Temps: Stop Burning Wood To Keep Warm

Has anybody ever figured out where the EPA gets it constitutional authority?

Forum List

Back