Erasing Southern Pride: U.S. Army War College Removing Confederate Generals Portraits

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Furling of the Flags...

saluteofhonor.jpg

"...The momentous meaning of this occasion impressed me deeply. I resolved to mark it by some token of recognition, which could be no other than a salute of arms.

Well aware of the responsibility assumed, and of the criticisms that would follow, as the sequel proved, nothing of that kind could move me in the least. The act could be defended, if needful, by the suggestion that such a salute was not to the cause for which the flag of the Confederacy stood, but to its going down before the flag of the Union.

My main reason, however, was one for which I sought no authority nor asked forgiveness. Before us in proud humiliation stood the embodiment of manhood: men whom neither toils and sufferings, nor the fact of death, nor disaster, nor hopelessness could bend from their resolve; standing before us now, thin, worn, and famished, but erect, and with eyes looking level into ours, waking memories that bound us together as no other bond;--was not such manhood to be welcomed back into a Union so tested and assured?

Instructions had been given; and when the head of each division column comes opposite our group, our bugle sounds the signal and instantly our whole line from right to left, regiment by regiment in succession, gives the soldiers salutation, from the "order arms" to the old "carry"--the marching salute.

Gordon at the head of the column, riding with heavy spirit and. downcast face, catches the sound of shifting arms, looks up, and, taking the meaning, wheels superbly, making with himself and his horse one uplifted figure, with profound salutation as he drops the point of his sword to the boot toe; then facing to his own command, gives word for his successive brigades to pass us with the same position of the manual,--honor answering honor.

On our part not a sound of trumpet more, nor roll of drum; not a cheer, nor word nor whisper of vain-glorying, nor motion of man standing again at the order, but an awed stillness rather, and breath-holding, as if it were the passing of the dead!

As each successive division masks our own, it halts, the men face inward towards us across the road, twelve feet away; then carefully "dress" their line, each captain taking pains for the good appearance of his company, worn and half starved as they were.

The field and staff take their positions in the intervals of regiments; generals in rear of their commands. They fix bayonets, stack arms; then, hesitatingly, remove cartridge-boxes and lay them down. Lastly,-- reluctantly, with agony of expression,--they tenderly fold their flags, battle-worn and torn, blood-stained, heart-holding colors, and lay them down; some frenziedly rushing from the ranks, kneeling over them, clinging to them, pressing them to their lips with burning tears.

And only the Flag of the Union greets the sky! ..."

-----

Major General Joshua Chamberlain, April 12, 1865, Appamattox Courthouse, Virginia

"The Passing of the Armies" - J.L. Chamberlain (1915)

No need to look it up, thanks. :rolleyes:

That's not what I was talking about. Any other unrelated trivia to offer so you can feel like an "historian," LARPer?

You can't talk about Irish feelings towards slavery and leave out their hatred of blacks and the 1863 new york riots.

I gave you two reasons for the wide-spread support for the Union from within the Confederate states, neither of which had to do with 'love' of blacks or a lack of racism. And the riots in New York were draft riots, you LARPer idiot.

You're trying too hard.
I gave you two reasons for the wide-spread support for the Union from within the Confederate states
This is laughable, their wasn't any wide spread support for the union in the south.
Just draft riots? No blacks were beaten by Irish? Just posting the federal government? Is that what you are claiming?

The link I will post debunks your wide spread argument and shows the riots were more than just draft riots.

The New York City Draft Riots of 1863

Just draft riots? No blacks were beaten by Irish?

Yes, draft riots. And I never said blacks were not targeted by Irish immigrants during those draft riots. You are trying to build a straw man so you can feel like you know something about history. You're offering nothing that isn't commonly known, and you are misapplying the information just to have something to say.

This is laughable, their wasn't any wide spread support for the union in the south.

At least 100,000 willing to fight for the Union from within the belly of the Confederacy seems pretty significant to me.

Who are you talking about?

Try to pay attention:

It should also be remembered that many southerners living in rebel-held territory remained loyal to the Union. Some left their native region when the war began, but others stayed and found ways to support the Union. With the exception of South Carolina, entire regiments were formed in every Confederate state to fight for the Union. In all, more than 100,000 men from southern states fought against the Confederacy during the war.

Yes, draft riots. And I never said blacks were not targeted by Irish immigrants during those draft riots. You are trying to build a straw man so you can feel like you know something about history. You're offering nothing that isn't commonly known, and you are misapplying the information just to have something to say.

It was more than "JUST" draft riots.
The riots happen after the Emancipation Proclamation, fear of freed slaves from the south coming north cheap labor taking jobs from Irish, which they too were considered trash in the north. The draft was the spark but much more was involved.

At least 100,000 willing to fight for the Union from within the belly of the Confederacy seems pretty significant to me.

Try to pay attention:

It should also be remembered that many southerners living in rebel-held territory remained loyal to the Union. Some left their native region when the war began, but others stayed and found ways to support the Union. With the exception of South Carolina, entire regiments were formed in every Confederate state to fight for the Union. In all, more than 100,000 men from southern states fought against the Confederacy during the war.

There wasn't any wide spread support in the south for the north. Sure their were northern sympathizers in the south, but their were also southern sympathizers in the north. Now Are you speaking of contraband troops?

The riots happen after the Emancipation Proclamation, fear of freed slaves from the south coming north cheap labor taking jobs from Irish, which they too were considered trash in the north. The draft was the spark but much more was involved.

The expanded draft lottery that set off the riots wasn't announced until after the Proclamation. :rolleyes:

Put away the straw men.

The expanded draft lottery that set off the riots wasn't announced until after the Proclamation. :rolleyes:

Put away the straw men.

Stop misinforming and lying about a straw man that you seem to fear that doesn't exist

Try to pay attention:

There wasn't any wide spread support in the south for the north. Sure their were northern sympathizers in the south, but their were also southern sympathizers in the north. Now Are you speaking of contraband troops?

Support for the Union, not for the North necessarily.

A regiment in every Confederate state but one, more than 100,000 men fighting; sounds pretty significant to me.

Try to pay attention:

Support for the Union, not for the North necessarily.

A regiment in every Confederate state but one, more than 100,000 men fighting; sounds pretty significant to me.
Are you talking about the contraband troops?

Put away the straw men.

Stop misinforming and lying about a straw man that you seem to fear that doesn't exist

Do you know what a straw man is?

Do you?

Yes, I do. For example, when I mention support for the Union among people living in Confederate states and you respond by trying to fabricate an argument about absolutely unrelated draft riots in New York, that's a straw man argument. When you later try to fabricate arguments about details regarding those draft riots when no point of contention had or has been raised - and the topic is STILL unrelated to the original point, those too are straw men.

That clear it up for you, LARPer?

Do you?

Yes, I do. For example, when I mention support for the Union among people living in Confederate states and you respond by trying to fabricate an argument about absolutely unrelated draft riots in New York, that's a straw man argument. When you later try to fabricate arguments about details regarding those draft riots when no point of contention had or has been raised - and the topic is STILL unrelated to the original point, those too are straw men.

Total bull shit. you said their was wide spread support for the union in the south you also mention the Irish and how they felt about slavery. You open the door for the New York riots and the hate of blacks from the Irish. I gave proof you have yet to give proof about the wide spread support straw man.
Now are you going to answer the question
The 100,000 claim of yours is that the contraband troops?

Total bull shit. you said their was wide spread support for the union in the south you also mention the Irish and how they felt about slavery. You open the door for the New York riots and the hate of blacks from the Irish. I gave proof you have yet to give proof about the wide spread support straw man.

I said there was wide spread support and I explained in detail what that means. I mentioned that many of the pro-unionists in the South were German and Irish immigrants who had no love for slavery or for the plantation elites. These are facts of HISTORY, 'historian.' You then tried to fabricate an argument about something unrelated just to have something to say, 'historian.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back