Fact Checking Trump's Yemen Raid Claims

The raid killed TWELVE children... One of which was a baby.

While the administration claims its drone strikes are the state of the art in precision, some of those outside accounts call the unverified claims into question. An analysis by the group Reprieve in 2014 found that the US killed 1,147 people in Pakistan and Yemen in the course of targeting only 41 men.
White House to reveal death toll of US drone strikes for first time

The unintentional deaths, according to previously unreleased administration figures, came in a total of 473 CIA and military counterterrorism strikes between 2009 and the end of 2015. Those attacks, it said, killed between 2,372 and 2,581 “combatants” in countries where the United States is not at war.

Although it did not name the countries, they include Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and Libya.

White House releases its count of civilian deaths in counterterrorism operations under Obama

In its first public assessment, the administration said the death toll was between 64 and 116 civilians between January 2009 and December 2015, which is significantly lower than civilian casualty estimates by various human rights groups.

Those range as high as 1,100 killed.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/01/us-reveals-civilian-death-toll-from-airstrikes-under-obama/

When you compare the accuracy of drones as compared to "dumb bombs" (non guided munitions), they are highly accurate. To tell you the truth, they are probably one of the most accurate weapons platforms we have ever had.

Only trouble is, you can't direct a shockwave during the explosion of the munitions. Shockwaves have a mind of their own, and if someone is in range of the shockwave, they will be killed. For a 500 lb bomb, the area of impact can be pretty big.

THIS IS ABOUT TRUMP'S FAILED ATTACK.....,

...with Obama's plan...

Actually, if you read the OP, it wasn't even his plan. The extent of "his plan" was identifying potential sites. The next step would have been planning the mission, making sure the target was located there, etc etc. with the relevant experts.

It's a stretch to blame this one on Obama.

THIS IS ABOUT TRUMP'S FAILED ATTACK.....,

...with Obama's plan...

Trump is still the one that pulled the trigger. He didn't have to authorize it to go down, but he did.

...and if it had been "successful" a certain number of rabid lefties would still be upset we took action.

Quite possibly. The use of drones is pretty divisive. I've got mixed feelings about it myself and have since Obama ratcheted up the drone program.

Actually, if you read the OP, it wasn't even his plan. The extent of "his plan" was identifying potential sites. The next step would have been planning the mission, making sure the target was located there, etc etc. with the relevant experts.

The raid had been planned for months, and the Obama administration first considered and approved it late last year, multiple officials told CNN. But it was delayed for "operational reasons," according to Obama administration officials, who said he never signed off on this specific operation before leaving office.

Yemen raid: The plan, the operation, and the aftermath - CNN.com

I gave you this yesterday, stop the lie.

The raid had been planned for months, and the Obama administration first considered and approved it late last year, multiple officials told CNN. But it was delayed for "operational reasons," according to Obama administration officials, who said he never signed off on this specific operation before leaving office.

I'm not lying. I provided a source as well.

How on earth can anyone tolerate the level of sheer outright lies coming from this Administration? Lies that are so easily refuted. And, once again - this issue goes down to Trump's foundation: the world is composed of winners and losers. A world where win-win can not exist. And a mission where a caveliear disregard to careful planning cost lives. But does he take responsibility...uh...no. He goes off on another Twitter War against critics.

FACT CHECK: Trump's Yemen Raid — 'Winning Mission' Or 'Failure'? It's Not So Simple

The tweets come after almost a week of debate on the success or "failure" of the raid. U.S. officials say they were able to gather helpful intelligence and that 14 al-Qaida militants were killed. But there were also multiple problems:

• the death of an elite U.S. Navy SEAL, Ryan Owens;
  • 23 civilians were killed, including the 8-year-old daughter of Anwar al-Awlaki (Awlaki was an American-born cleric and inspirational leader for al-Qaida who was killed in a drone strike in 2011); and
  • a $90 million Osprey, a tilt-rotor aircraft, was destroyed after a crash landing.

The operation, the first authorized of the Trump presidency, also raises serious questions about the planning and decision-making of the current occupant of the Oval Office, as well as the truthfulness of information coming out of the White House.

Sean Spicer said the raid was planned last November — under the Obama administration — and that the goal of the mission was to get information.

But neither is true, NPR's Tom Bowman reports.

Rather, the specific place of this eventual raid was identified in November as one to focus on. (Other potential places were also identified.)

"The goal of the raid was intelligence-gathering," Spicer said Tuesday, "and that's what we received, and that's what we got. That's why we can deem it a success."

But the U.S. would not send in SEAL Team Six, the premiere anti-terrorist commandos, to pick up some cellphones and computers, a U.S. official told Bowman.

Part of the effort was to get top al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, or AQAP, leaders. While more than a dozen militants were killed, a top target, Qassim al-Rimi, either slipped away or was not at the location.

Rimi is the leader of AQAP, seen as a top recruiter and the third-most-dangerous terrorist in the world. Bowman confirmed that Rimi was "one of the objectives," along with disrupting planning and plotting, in addition to collecting material.

What's more, a U.S. official expressed concern that Trump made the decision over dinner. This should have been decided with rigorous debate in the Situation Room, the official said.

Many remember the iconic photo released by the White House of former President Obama surrounded by advisers during the raid in Pakistan that killed Osama bin Laden. The concern with the Yemen raid is the impression that this decision was made too cavalierly.
so coyote, what wasn't factual? I didn't see anything that challenges what was done on the mission. And, do you think the US was successful in defeating the Germans? You know there were soldiers lives lost as well as military assests. Civilians also died. so are you saying that WWII wasn't a victory?

I used a liberal media source, CNN. Yours is single sourced, mine says multiple officials.

How Donald Trump's first military action went from the Obama White House to deadly raid - CNNPolitics.com

Trump White House aides have defended the mission by saying that it was first considered and approved during Obama's time in office. But former senior government officials under Obama said the former President never signed off on the raid before leaving office.
While the military discussed various options for actions in Yemen, the 44th president felt such action "represented a significant escalation of US involvement in Yemen," as one senior government official under Obama said.

I used a liberal media source, CNN. Yours is single sourced, mine says multiple officials.

Unnamed officials.

Unnamed officials.

Which is somehow worse than your single unnamed official? :lol:

Oh gee another drunken far left drone bash Trump thread!

You did not care when Obama killed people..

Obama told a lie as well:

Drone strikes killed one civilian in 2016, Obama administration says

Nearly 90 Percent Of People Killed In Recent Drone Strikes Were Not The Target | The Huffington Post

Better hold your own to the same standards that you will hold others!

Proves this is nothing but a hyper partisan bash thread using the far left npr as "facts"..
How do you like your so-called president?

But all through the campaign pathological liar Tramp kept saying how STUPID Obama's generals were, so how STUPID does that make Tramp to use a plan made by STUPID generals when he says he knows more than the generals?????? :cuckoo:

Well Ed, the plan apparently was stupid according to liberals, so Trump might have a point right?

Forum List

Back