First lady and entourage wear out welcome quickly

Man oh man, if I was on my vacation of a lifetime and had to be screened every time I tried to get to my hotel room, I'd be pissed.

Come on libs. You'd be pissed off to.

The problem I have is these people( politicians and their families) campaign on how they love the little guy. How they claim to have empathy, etc....And then they plan these trips, totally oblivious to the major inconveniences those very same people are forced to endure.
In this case it is in a foreign country. However, that is all the more reason to be as much 'under the radar' as possible.
One legacy this Obama family will leave behind is their near perfect record of committing international gaffes and breaches of protocol.

The Obama's are paying the tab, fuck 'em...

Ahh...making up stuff again. Tremendous.

The Obama's don't need to pay for this trip. She is on a diplomatic mission, not on vacation. Do you visit dignataris and schools and give speaches when you are on vacation? This is work, it's a job. She's working for the image of the US. And she's doing a good job. The Chinese seem to be very impressed.

Yet another imaginary scandal courtesy of the right wing. So sad.

Oh lord... what constitutes as 'news' these days is amazing :rolleyes:

If this was Laura Bush and her daughters doing this crap, YOU would be the first one in here complaining about it.

When are you leftists going to figure out that HYPOCRISY is not a virtue?

I imagine when the 'staffer' has a name and the source is not the Dailymail.

You don't get to simply attack the source just because you don't like the news.
If you can find new reports to the contrary, post them here.
If there is more than one which states "first lady's family enjoying visit to China. People happy to meet and greet"...We can agree the OP story may be a bit of a hit piece.
It is my hope that the first family, ANY first family while overseas representing the country, would be on their best behavior and their most gracious.
And if you attempt to state "they are on vacation and not representing the country", you'd be incorrect.

having stayed at a westin.....i can assure you that the staff is right there for you....but i could not image the frustration of the other guests....

i am ashamed that any american takes human rights off the table when they have a chance to talk about it

Who did that?

In China, Michelle Obama Defends Free Internet - TIME

Y1es...An amazing example of wisdom on the part of the First Lady..
Umm, one does not need an Ivy League education or to be married to the political elite to figure out this one.

Oh lord... what constitutes as 'news' these days is amazing :rolleyes:

If this was Laura Bush and her daughters doing this crap, YOU would be the first one in here complaining about it.

When are you leftists going to figure out that HYPOCRISY is not a virtue?

Well they sort of did, do that crap. Worse actually..

Bush twins Jenna and Barbara were 'Secret Service nightmare', claims US book that dishes dirt on First Families | Mail Online

Just wasn't our business.

Not seeing the connection here..
Had the Bush twins been traveling extensively and had been a general pain in the ass to staff of hotels or poorly representing the country, you'd have a point in posting this.
Since there is no similarity in the two stories at all, you're wasting time.

First Lady Michelle Obama, her mother and two daughters have reportedly already outstayed their welcome with some of the staff at a $8,350-per-night presidential suite in Beijing. They arrived on Thursday.

A “well-placed” staffer at the Westin Beijing Chaoyang hotel told the Daily Mail that the Obama women have inconvenienced “pretty much everyone” while the first lady’s mother, Marian Robinson, has been “barking at the staff” since she arrived.

U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, front left, her daughters Sasha, front right, Malia, right in the back, and Michelle Obama’s mother Marian Robinson, left in the back, arrive at Capital International Airport in Beijing, China, Thursday, March 20, 2014. Michelle Obama has arrived in Beijing with her mother and daughters to kick off a seven-day, three-city tour where she will focus on education and cultural exchange. (AP Photo/Alexander F. Yuan, Pool)
“We can’t wait for this to be over, to tell you the truth,” the staffer said. “We entertain many important people here, but this has been, I think, very different.”

Now the hotel workers are about “fed up.”

The Daily Mail has more details:

Government security forces from both China and the U.S. started Thursday to screen everyone who entered the building, including paying guests, setting up checkpoints that resemble those at airline concourse entrances.

The Secret Service’s monopoly on the hotel’s highest floors has meant the Westin had to boot guests with previous reservations out of their executive-level rooms.

Secret Service agents are also monopolizing hotel elevators long before the Obamas need them, added the staffer, who identified himself as a member of the concierge staff and spoke English during a phone call on Friday.

The Westin Beijing Chaoyang hotel’s website describes the 3,400-square-foot suite Michelle Obama and her family are staying in as an “oasis of comfort.” It includes a “private steam room, corner sofas with silk pillows” and in-room dining for six. They also reportedly have a 24-hour butler at their disposal.
Beijing hotel workers already 'fed up' with Obama entourage in 3400-square-foot, $8,350-per-night suite inconveniencing 'pretty much everyone' -- and the first lady's mother is 'barking at the staff' | Mail Online

no reporters were allowed to go with her

(freedom of the press? not in china bitches)

So this story could very easily be bullshit.

but it's not that hard to see Ms obama as a prima dona, not at all

I think that was the Obama's choice. Not the Chinese govt.
and there is nothing to say that there are not reporters on the ground that traveled on their own or employer's dime to cover the visit.
Do you really think that because "no press was permitted to accompany the first family" that there would be a media black out?

First Lady Michelle Obama, her mother and two daughters have reportedly already outstayed their welcome with some of the staff at a $8,350-per-night presidential suite in Beijing. They arrived on Thursday.

A “well-placed” staffer at the Westin Beijing Chaoyang hotel told the Daily Mail that the Obama women have inconvenienced “pretty much everyone” while the first lady’s mother, Marian Robinson, has been “barking at the staff” since she arrived.

U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, front left, her daughters Sasha, front right, Malia, right in the back, and Michelle Obama’s mother Marian Robinson, left in the back, arrive at Capital International Airport in Beijing, China, Thursday, March 20, 2014. Michelle Obama has arrived in Beijing with her mother and daughters to kick off a seven-day, three-city tour where she will focus on education and cultural exchange. (AP Photo/Alexander F. Yuan, Pool)
“We can’t wait for this to be over, to tell you the truth,” the staffer said. “We entertain many important people here, but this has been, I think, very different.”

Now the hotel workers are about “fed up.”

The Daily Mail has more details:

Government security forces from both China and the U.S. started Thursday to screen everyone who entered the building, including paying guests, setting up checkpoints that resemble those at airline concourse entrances.

The Secret Service’s monopoly on the hotel’s highest floors has meant the Westin had to boot guests with previous reservations out of their executive-level rooms.

Secret Service agents are also monopolizing hotel elevators long before the Obamas need them, added the staffer, who identified himself as a member of the concierge staff and spoke English during a phone call on Friday.

The Westin Beijing Chaoyang hotel’s website describes the 3,400-square-foot suite Michelle Obama and her family are staying in as an “oasis of comfort.” It includes a “private steam room, corner sofas with silk pillows” and in-room dining for six. They also reportedly have a 24-hour butler at their disposal.
Beijing hotel workers already 'fed up' with Obama entourage in 3400-square-foot, $8,350-per-night suite inconveniencing 'pretty much everyone' -- and the first lady's mother is 'barking at the staff' | Mail Online

no reporters were allowed to go with her

(freedom of the press? not in china bitches)

So this story could very easily be bullshit.

but it's not that hard to see Ms obama as a prima dona, not at all

I think that was the Obama's choice. Not the Chinese govt.
and there is nothing to say that there are not reporters on the ground that traveled on their own or employer's dime to cover the visit.
Do you really think that because "no press was permitted to accompany the first family" that there would be a media black out?

It is just that he thinks "freedom of the press" means reporters travel free

The Obama's are paying the tab, fuck 'em...

Ahh...making up stuff again. Tremendous.

The Obama's don't need to pay for this trip. She is on a diplomatic mission, not on vacation. Do you visit dignataris and schools and give speaches when you are on vacation? This is work, it's a job. She's working for the image of the US. And she's doing a good job. The Chinese seem to be very impressed.

Yet another imaginary scandal courtesy of the right wing. So sad.

We are talking to conservatives here....Diplomacy is for pussies and anything done by the Obamas has no value

Butthurt 101

Wearing out her welcome?

U.S. first lady Michelle Obama brought the importance of education to the foreground on Sunday on the third day of a visit to China, where she has won praise for her approachability and admiration for her comments supporting freedom of speech.

Mrs. Obama, traveling with her two daughters, has been photographed at famous spots including the Forbidden City and Great Wall during the first independent trip by a U.S. president's wife to China. She has won compliments for her elegant clothing and her interactions with ordinary people in a country where it is rare to see leaders' spouses or children in public.

"She is very warm and frank, and when she is talking to people she conscientiously listens to what they have to say," said Wu Qing, a retired professor of Beijing Foreign Studies University who met Mrs. Obama on Sunday.

Michelle Obama praised for style, warmth in China - CBS News

did you really expect an honest thread from the obama deranged?

Wasn't the original issue here, their behavior at the hotel, rather than their public appearances?

Students who met Mrs. Obama praised her affability. "She was so approachable," said Lu Yuhong, 16, who guided the first lady in writing the Chinese character "eternal" in calligraphy at the Beijing school.

Mu Rongduomijia, 16, said she traveled Saturday from the northeastern city of Dalian to Beijing, hoping to hear Mrs. Obama's speech. Instead, she waited outside for glimpses of the first lady's entourage.

"It was touching to see so many people waiting for her arrival and departure, and that's because of her personal charisma," Mu said, noting she was impressed with the manners of Malia and Sasha.

Wasn't the original issue here, their behavior at the hotel, rather than their public appearances?

Students who met Mrs. Obama praised her affability. "She was so approachable," said Lu Yuhong, 16, who guided the first lady in writing the Chinese character "eternal" in calligraphy at the Beijing school.

Mu Rongduomijia, 16, said she traveled Saturday from the northeastern city of Dalian to Beijing, hoping to hear Mrs. Obama's speech. Instead, she waited outside for glimpses of the first lady's entourage.

"It was touching to see so many people waiting for her arrival and departure, and that's because of her personal charisma," Mu said, noting she was impressed with the manners of Malia and Sasha.
Other than extensive security at the hotel, I haven't really seen anything credible about their behavior

Have you?

Nope.

I haven't been paying attention.

But the OP, et al, claim otherwise.

Even brickbats usually have some basis in fact.

I'm not ready to land overly-hard on Michelle over this.

But the 'basis' for the OP has me more than a little curious.

Other than extensive security at the hotel, I haven't really seen anything credible about their behavior

Have you?

Mail Online? Repub-voters (the OP) reduced to using foreign sources to attack First Family. You people are cratering-out.

Nope.

I haven't been paying attention.

But the OP, et al, claim otherwise.

Even brickbats usually have some basis in fact.

I'm not ready to land overly-hard on Michelle over this.

But the 'basis' for the OP has me more than a little curious.

Have you?

I have heard nothing but glowing response to the Obamas in China

They are doing their nation proud. If they had screwed up, we would hear a lot more from the right than an uncredited account of "barking"

Mebbe... mebbe... I DO know I'd like to see something a bit more solid, from a credible source, before I join in the brickbatting...

Forum List

Back