First road closure under Shutnado

Obama ordered them to make it as hard as possible, and they are following orders with enthusiasm.

"It’s almost like they are pushing to see how far they can push before the American people say enough is enough,” said Ed Mitchell, the mayor of Blount County, Tenn. “We were founded on a declaration of independence. And they are about to push the people to the line again.” Nearly a third of Blount County is inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. So when the federal government shut down the park, it also shut down one of the area’s chief sources of revenue.
The National Park Service also closed the Foothills Parkway, a major thoroughfare in the county. The closure came without warning and left the local school district scrambling to get children back to their homes.
The children live in the eastern Tennessee community of Top of the World – serviced by School Bus 49. Normally, the bus travels along the Foothills Parkway. Other roads leading to the isolated mountain community are impassible by bus.

'All about power and leverage' -- feds shut down major roadway, block access to graveyard | Fox News

Don't worry [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION], it is a Photshop closure.

Truly your ignorance is infinite. That road can in no conceivable way be considered a "major thorughfare". Though it is pretty -- a road you take for its scenery. Wilderness, kind of like the Blue Ridge Parkway. Consider the source: Fox Noise. :rofl:

Oh wait, we forgot -- I live in the area and actually know that road. You don't.

Last edited:
You people wanted a government shutdown, live with it. You think that you can just shut down the government and arrange it so the consequences fall only on those you don't like?

Something to think about. A number of Interstates pass through military bases. The bases own those roads, and can shut them down at will. I-5 at Fort Lewis is one example. After 17Oct13, who knows what will happen?

Yes, I wanted the government shutdown.

Now you can see why, yet you are still saying the government is right.

Is everyone who sees right through your transparent bag o' bullshit described as "saying the government is always right"? That's the extent of your intellect? Really?

Last edited:
You know, there is a law for keeping Congress from enacting laws that target specific groups of people, or even specific regions of people.

But since we've allowed this Administration to kill Americans without court orders, I guess this little action is mild by comparison.

3 trillion dollars in government spending, and the Obama ensures that ONLY closure of government is the one that harms ordinary citizens.

Some kind of President you libs have there...

You get it. People who are okay with law breaking when they benefit from it and who established a corrupt and tyrannical regime knowing full well they were corrupt and tyrannical...you know, they deserve what is coming down the pike.

And it is coming. I fear for my young children. And even more for my older ones.

No, we didn't want to fund obamacare.

Difference.

You scum said, we don't care what the majority wants, we don't care what the law says, we don't care about the constitution, you are going to eat this and like it.

They're working hard to trigger violence, so they can declare war on the people who won't support them.

How are you so certain that the majority didn't want Obamacare?

Only half of them voted for it in Congress. Or perhaps you didn't see the polls stating that the majority opposed it? What majority? Geez, educate yourself.

Please feel free to take up the mantle of educator.
The figures I have are that Senate votes were 60-39 and House votes were 219-212.
Is this not a majority in Congress?
I freely admit my maths is a bit shaky.

There has never been a majority. And they certainly don't want it now they have gotten a taste of the nation destroying changes it is bringing about.

I'm just interested to know where you got the data that the majority don't want it, that's all.
It can't be that hard if you have it to hand.

How are you so certain that the majority didn't want Obamacare?

Only half of them voted for it in Congress. Or perhaps you didn't see the polls stating that the majority opposed it? What majority? Geez, educate yourself.

The figures I have are that Senate votes were 60-39 and House votes were 219-212.

Yes. Math. As in one half of our two party system voted for this.

Consider yourself educated.

Ohhhhh!
Now I get it.
You're counting the number of parties...not the number of votes.
Therefore one Democratic party equals one Republican party.

Soooo...just to work this through for a moment, please consider this scenario.
The Democratic party has 99 seats in the Senate.
The Democratic party has 434 seats in the House of Representatives.
A bill is presented for which all Democratic members vote in favour and all Republican Congress members vote to oppose.
Naturally, the bill is passed.
According to your logic that bill was not passed with a majority because half of the parties in the Congress opposed it and one half does not equal a majority.

Do I get a pass sir?

Ohhhhh!
Now I get it.

A bill is presented for which all Democratic members vote in favour and all Republican Congress members vote to oppose.
According to your logic that bill was not passed with a majority because half of the parties in the Congress opposed it and one half does not equal a majority.

Do I get a pass sir?

As in that bill was passed by Democrats only. As in 60 Democrats in the Senate, 219 Democrats in the House. Ditch the sarcasm. Having supermajorities in both houses rendered Republicans votes meaningless.
"...the great danger in republics is that the majority will not respect the rights of minority.”

-James Madison, Federalist No. 10

I'm interested in this email supposedly instructing federal workers to 'make life as difficult as possible'.
I can only find reference back to a statement by one park ranger.
Are there any others?
Has the email been posted somewhere on the intertubes?

No good?
This was the premise for the OP after all.

Ohhhhh!
Now I get it.

Do I get a pass sir?

As in that bill was passed by Democrats only. As in 60 Democrats in the Senate, 219 Democrats in the House. Ditch the sarcasm. Having supermajorities in both houses rendered Republicans votes meaningless.
"...the great danger in republics is that the majority will not respect the rights of minority.”

My sarcasm was to try to hide the contempt I was really feeling you idiot.
Was a majority of Congressional votes in favour of the ACA or not?
Let me give you a clue - one party does not equal one vote.

As far as supermajorities are concerned, why do you think that the Democrats might have been able to bring one to bear...could it be because that represented the will of the majority of the people?
It's hard to tell...maybe there should be a vote of all of the USA.
Oh, hang on, there was...that's what got us here.

I'll turn the sarcasm back on if you like.

Ohhhhh!
Now I get it.

Do I get a pass sir?

As far as supermajorities are concerned, why do you think that the Democrats might have been able to bring one to bear...could it be because that represented the will of the majority of the people?

Please turn your brain back on, if you wouldn't mind.

Has your reading comprehension suddenly escaped you? Here's a clue, when one party votes unanimously to ram a law that a MAJORITY of people disapproved of down the throats of the other party, that is only doing the will of half of the people. Hence, one half of our two party system assuming they doing what they think is best for the whole of Americans.

Please turn your brain back on, if you wouldn't mind.

Has your reading comprehension suddenly escaped you? Here's a clue, when one party votes unanimously to ram a law that a MAJORITY of people disapproved of down the throats of the other party, that is only doing the will of half of the people. Hence, one half of our two party system assuming they doing what they think is best for the whole of Americans.

Explain your definition of 'majority of people'.
It seems quite fluid.
Does it refer to the number of citizen voters (remember they gave the Democrats the majority in Congress), the number of lawmakers in Congress (remember that the Democrats had the majority there) or the number of parties in Congress (which I admit to you is a tie)?

Like I said, the President has been playing nice so far. We should start with the FAA. Close it down, ground every aircraft in the US.

Yes he should do that... maybe harass the right wing extremist trying to get to the WWII memorial

maybe cone off the way side of state highways to prevent looking at national monuments

is the ticket

A "No Right Look" or "No Left Look" sign maybe?
Actually, they would be appropriate for Washington!

Apparently there should only consequences when Democrats do stupid shit.

Idiot. These are the consequences of Democrats doing stupid shit.

You guys are in an ideological war and you are losing. What is so ironic is that you actually believe you are winning, the same way you believed without a doubt that Romney was going to beat Obama.

I want you to take a minute to think about this, so you can truly understand how much trouble the Republican Party is in. In 2012, you had a sitting president with the worst economic record since Herbert Hoover running for reelection. You had a country that we have been told over and over again that is more conservative than liberal. And the man running for reelection was "black". Not that Obama's being black should be a reason for him to be or not be reelected, but the simple fact is that there is a certain percentage of Americans who would not vote for a black person for president even if it was Jesus himself.

Republicans could not have asked for a more vulnerable candidate, and Romney should have won the popular vote by ten points easily and should have won in an electoral landslide. What happened? Obama won pretty handily although some states were very close. When you think about everything Republicans had going for them and everything Dems had going against them, how was it possible that Obama was reelected and that Dems increased their majority in the Senate? The answer is simple. America is not as conservative as you all would like to believe, and it's turning more and more liberal every day. That's not to say liberalism will be a big winner here, but it does show us that ultra conservatism, whether from Tea Party types or the Social Conservatives is being rejected in a very big way.

The ironic thing is that you think a war is won, or lost, in the first battle. This war is about the future of the entire fucking planet, we might lose because we can't convince the idiots, but it will take a lot longer than a single election cycle before it happens.

By the way, if we lose, so do you.

Obama ordered them to make it as hard as possible, and they are following orders with enthusiasm.

"It’s almost like they are pushing to see how far they can push before the American people say enough is enough,” said Ed Mitchell, the mayor of Blount County, Tenn. “We were founded on a declaration of independence. And they are about to push the people to the line again.” Nearly a third of Blount County is inside the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. So when the federal government shut down the park, it also shut down one of the area’s chief sources of revenue.
The National Park Service also closed the Foothills Parkway, a major thoroughfare in the county. The closure came without warning and left the local school district scrambling to get children back to their homes.
The children live in the eastern Tennessee community of Top of the World – serviced by School Bus 49. Normally, the bus travels along the Foothills Parkway. Other roads leading to the isolated mountain community are impassible by bus.
'All about power and leverage' -- feds shut down major roadway, block access to graveyard | Fox News

Don't worry @Pogo, it is a Photshop closure.

Truly your ignorance is infinite. That road can in no conceivable way be considered a "major thorughfare". Though it is pretty -- a road you take for its scenery. Wilderness, kind of like the Blue Ridge Parkway. Consider the source: Fox Noise. :rofl:

Oh wait, we forgot -- I live in the area and actually know that road. You don't.

I must have missed it, where did I say it was a major thoroughfare? Where did the article I cited say it was a major thoroughfare?

It is nice of you to jump in with your expected defense of the government, after all, if the park service can't patrol the road it will fall apart. It will probably take weeks to repair after the fake government shutdown even without traffic using it everyday.

You people wanted a government shutdown, live with it. You think that you can just shut down the government and arrange it so the consequences fall only on those you don't like?

Something to think about. A number of Interstates pass through military bases. The bases own those roads, and can shut them down at will. I-5 at Fort Lewis is one example. After 17Oct13, who knows what will happen?

Yes, I wanted the government shutdown.

Now you can see why, yet you are still saying the government is right.

Is everyone who sees right through your transparent bag o' bullshit described as "saying the government is always right"? That's the extent of your intellect? Really?

Is everyone on the other side in the "Government is always right" camp? No, just the ones that think the fact that the park service is undermanned justifies endangering children.

Forum List

Back