Fort Worth Mayor Apologizes For Police Shooting; Officer Resigns

She obviously grabbed her gun before he could announce himself. :cuckoo:

Where as Mr. Waller was given the opportunity to put his gun down. He was informed that it was a police officer giving that order. And was given so much time in fact, that he had the opportunity to put the gun on the ground, 'freak out', pick that gun back up, and stand in a 'ready' stance to fire at the officer.

In startling contrast, the moment that the officer said 'Put your hands up' to the moment he shot Ms. Jefferson to death...... was 0.8 second.

And the officer never identified himself as a police officer.
In the first example, the cop was obviously retarded. In the second example he was not a retard. When youre in a bad neighborhood and someone grabs a gun, you dont wait to shoot them because, that would be very dumb.

In the first, the officer followed protocol, identifying himself and gave the civilian an opportunity to comply before killing him.

In the second, the officer flagrantly violated protocol and made it impossible for the civilian to comply before killing her.
When someone grabs a gun, you never wait. :cuckoo:

Mr. Waller's case clearly demonstrates that's not the case. In Mr. Waller's case, a cop will identify himself, give a lawful command to him, give him a chance to register the command, let him put the gun down, let him get angry again, let him 'freak out', let him reach down to the ground and pick up the gun again, let him take the ready stance.

And then shoot him.

Where Ms. Jefferson was given 0.8 second to respond to an officer than never identified himself.
Yes, Mr Waller was playing a dangerous game. Cops should never do what he did. When someone reaches for a gun, you shoot them dead.

Yeah, you didn't read the article did you?

The cop in this instance never identified himself, instead sneaking into her back yard and shot her to death while he was ordering her to raise her hands, making it impossible for her to comply before being killed.

Also, this was pre-body cam. We can see *exactly* what the cop did, without it being filtered through the lens of his perception.

Where as Mr. Waller was given the opportunity to put his gun down. He was informed that it was a police officer giving that order. And was given so much time in fact, that he had the opportunity to put the gun on the ground, 'freak out', pick that gun back up, and stand in a 'ready' stance to fire at the officer.

In startling contrast, the moment that the officer said 'Put your hands up' to the moment he shot Ms. Jefferson to death...... was 0.8 second.

In the first example, the cop was obviously retarded. In the second example he was not a retard. When youre in a bad neighborhood and someone grabs a gun, you dont wait to shoot them because, that would be very dumb.

In the first, the officer followed protocol, identifying himself and gave the civilian an opportunity to comply before killing him.

In the second, the officer flagrantly violated protocol and made it impossible for the civilian to comply before killing her.

thats why she should have shot him as soon as she had the shot,,,

Fort Worth police chief: 'No excuse' for Aaron Dean to shoot Atatiana Jefferson in her home

Kraus said the gun found in the room "made sense" if Jefferson was alarmed to hear someone walking around outside her bedroom window. He said the officers apparently believed they were responding to an "open structure" call – which could have meant the home was broken into – rather than a "welfare call" in which they check to make sure people in the home are safe.

Well that makes sense that it could have been a communication screw up when the officer was dispatched.
the report says officers, so not only he thought that.

And what I heard, her door was indeed open. And she pointed a gun, and he was looking for a possible burglary. a scenario that played out and in my opinion, is no one's fault. tragic as it is.

He failed to identify himself as a police officer, and he fired the shot before finishing the order to show her hands. No, this was not a tragic accident, this was a total fuck up on the officer's part.

Yep, that rule applies to both parties in this situation. That is assuming she didnt know it was a cop, YET she saw his gun.

Fort Worth police chief: 'No excuse' for Aaron Dean to shoot Atatiana Jefferson in her home

Kraus said the gun found in the room "made sense" if Jefferson was alarmed to hear someone walking around outside her bedroom window. He said the officers apparently believed they were responding to an "open structure" call – which could have meant the home was broken into – rather than a "welfare call" in which they check to make sure people in the home are safe.

Well that makes sense that it could have been a communication screw up when the officer was dispatched.

And what I heard, her door was indeed open. And she pointed a gun, and he was looking for a possible burglary. a scenario that played out and in my opinion, is no one's fault. tragic as it is.

He failed to identify himself as a police officer, and he fired the shot before finishing the order to show her hands. No, this was not a tragic accident, this was a total fuck up on the officer's part.
She grabbed her gun. He had no time for a conversation.

Yep, that rule applies to both parties in this situation. That is assuming she didnt know it was a cop, YET she saw his gun.

except the cop was the intruder,,,

“Afeared for her life!” It’s like “abracadabra” for shooting incidents...

But he did have time to retreat to cover and announce himself. He chose poorly, as his soon to be stretched out asshole can attest to...

You know, when I was on the Security Force while stationed in Newport, one of the first things we were taught to do was to identify ourselves as base police when investigating things. This officer should have shouted "police, put your hands up", and if he had ID'd himself as an officer, she would have more than likely relaxed when she realized he was an officer and not an intruder. Sorry, but this officer fucked up, plain and simple. And, the police chief said that if he hadn't resigned, he would have been fired because he's screwed up in the past as well.

And, I'm going to ask the same question that I asked further up the thread, but nobody took the time to answer. If there was someone skulking around your backyard with a flashlight at 2:00 am, and you didn't know who it was, if you had a gun in the house, would you arm yourself before going and checking it out?

Most people if they have a gun will arm themselves before checking it out, even if they say they won't.

it was another accidental shooting

Accidental in Texas means something like your gun going ofd while you're cleaning it.

This officer definitely intended to shoot here.

Exactly.
try to put yourself in his situation

For 3 years while I was stationed in Newport RI, I was a member of the Security Force, and we were trained by a Gunny as to how to run our patrols and security drills. We were ALWAYS taught to ID ourselves to anyone we were investigating first. If we had to draw our guns, we would announce ourselves as base police as we drew them, and then we would give commands to get the suspect in custody.

Accidental in Texas means something like your gun going ofd while you're cleaning it.

Exactly.

For 3 years while I was stationed in Newport RI, I was a member of the Security Force, and we were trained by a Gunny as to how to run our patrols and security drills. We were ALWAYS taught to ID ourselves to anyone we were investigating first. If we had to draw our guns, we would announce ourselves as base police as we drew them, and then we would give commands to get the suspect in custody.

How about giving folks an opportunity to obey those commands before they were shot to death?

Did Gunny have anything to say about that?

Exactly.

How about giving folks an opportunity to obey those commands before you shot them to death?

That was also something we were taught. We were told that we had to give the suspect sufficient time to comply, but we were also taught to watch them while they were complying. If something like this had happened with one of my squad mates on the Security Force, after the Gunny saw the body cam video, he would have had the person written up and sent to courts martial, probably with jail time and a dishonorable discharge.

Accidental in texas means something like your gun going of while you're cleaning it.

the policeman thought that the homeowner was a burglar and the home owner thought that the policeman was a burglar, please stop demonizing the police, they are human, they make mistakes

Oh my God, please explain how he thought she was burglar. What a disgrace, why don't you just go and spit on the woman's grave.
The policeman did go there to shoot the home owner.
He was there to investigate a burglary.
It was a mistake.
We would not be debating this if the home owner was white.

Officer cleared after going to wrong address, shooting innocent grandpa in his garage - Police State USA

That was 5 years ago. Yes, we would be discussing this if it happened today. It's no longer OK to kill innocent people.

Exactly.

I have tried to put myself in his situation and I do it like this. Get out of the car with my partner and think to myself, The door is open, lights in the house are on, the neighbor called , maybe something is wrong. maybe something happened to the residents, maybe there is foul play, but perhaps there is also a medical emergency, there could be kids as well... anyone could be in the house. I have no reason to go to the back of the house when with the lights on and the front door is open, my partner and myself have full vision into the house... we can turn a spotlight on the dark side of the house... no reason to rush, so as to give any resident inside time to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES when I ring the door bell and announce my presence as an officer.

If I as a cop am so afraid of coming under gunfire by ringing the doorbell when both of us are armed... its time for me to look for another line of work. Moving around the back of the house with no open entrance to the inside puts me at an immediate disadvantage anyway. Now if there is an intruder on the inside, how am I supposed to apprehend them with a wall between us and now limited vision.

Exactly.

Nearly everyone in his situation would have knocked on the door and announced themselves.

That would have been my first go to move as well.

Accidental in texas means something like your gun going of while you're cleaning it.

the policeman thought that the homeowner was a burglar and the home owner thought that the policeman was a burglar, please stop demonizing the police, they are human, they make mistakes

Oh my God, please explain how he thought she was burglar. What a disgrace, why don't you just go and spit on the woman's grave.
It was a mistake.

Officer cleared after going to wrong address, shooting innocent grandpa in his garage - Police State USA

That was 5 years ago. Yes, we would be discussing this if it happened today. It's no longer OK to kill innocent people.
the point is that the Press uses these police shootings to incite racial strife

It was a mistake.

the point is that the Press uses these police shootings to incite racial strife
Usually. But even so it shines a light on a problem that effects everyone. Because the victim was black it’s getting mass public scrutiny. If the victim was white, as is the case in most police shootings it’s doubtful that most of us would be hearing about this. It’s past time PDs across the nation started having their cops reigned in. Their ever increasing militarism is becoming more of a danger to the public than it is helpful. People need to learn to rely on themselves more, and police less.

Forum List

Back