Fox News Says Sharia Law Is Taking Over Because Of A Muslim Women's Swim Class

So basically women like Orthodox Jewish women and tradtional Muslim women who have religious modesty requirements, can't be allowed any special time to exercise in private establishments because that constitutes an invasion.

Crazy.

Jewish women are not in the article and I don't remember hearing them wanting to be segregated, why do you mention them?

Ah ok so a business can do whatever the hell it wants including racist and discriminatory practices, welcome to Mississipi 1951! :clap2:

Let me rephrase. It's illegal for a businesses to refuse service to someone because they're black or because they're Christian, however in the YMCA case they're not discriminating against anyone.

Christians are allowed to be a part of this class; they just have to follow the rules laid out by the YMCA to participate for this single hour.

If you're upset about that, you should also be upset about "adult swim" or "men's swimming class".

Its not the gender thing that bothers me but the religious aspect, Muslim only swimming class is discriminating, are we not good enough to share a pool with Muslims?

I have a friend who until recently was a single Dad. He had his daughter in swim lessons at the Y and he went with her twice a week. Now you have no problem telling this man he's not welcome. That is discrimination and that is not what the Y is suppose to be about. BTW, he's been a member of the Y for years. Last year he stopped. Gee, I wonder why?

Sheila! We're talking ONE hour here. One freaking hour a WEEK, actually. You're unfairly making it out to be like the YMCA is banning all non-Muslims from ever using the pool. This man IS welcome; he just needs to choose a time that's not this one single hour.

Are you just as upset when your friend tries to use the pool and it's closed for "adult swim"? Think about that for a moment....

Do you see how ridiculous you're being?

One hour is how it starts, than its a whole day, than its....well you get it.

Lol, come on dude. The YMCA designated one hour at one location (out of hundreds of thousands of swim hours nationwide/wk) and that scares you? Really?

Last edited:
Sheila! We're talking ONE hour here. One freaking hour a WEEK, actually. You're unfairly making it out to be like the YMCA is banning all non-Muslims from ever using the pool. This man IS welcome; he just needs to choose a time that's not this one single hour.

Are you just as upset when your friend tries to use the pool and it's closed for "adult swim"? Think about that for a moment....

Do you see how ridiculous you're being?

One hour is how it starts, than its a whole day, than its....well you get it.

Lol, come on dude. The YMCA designated one hour at one location (out of hundreds of thousands of swim hours nationwide/wk) and that scares you? Really?

Not scare, more like concerned. Like Sheila said Islamic law doesn't come all at once, its in bits and pieces like this. This is all happening because of religious motivations.

So basically women like Orthodox Jewish women and tradtional Muslim women who have religious modesty requirements, can't be allowed any special time to exercise in private establishments because that constitutes an invasion.

Crazy.

Jewish women are not in the article and I don't remember hearing them wanting to be segregated, why do you mention them?

Because I posted a related article, that refers to the problem of religious women being able to exercise - the two main groups are Muslim and Orthodox Jews who's religious codes require them to dress a certain way when around men and that makes it hard to exercise. None of them are "demanding" anything - they are asking. The issue isn't being "segregated" from other people, but able to dress more freely while not being viewed by men.

Crazy.

Because I posted a related article, that refers to the problem of religious women being able to exercise - the two main groups are Muslim and Orthodox Jews who's religious codes require them to dress a certain way when around men and that makes it hard to exercise. None of them are "demanding" anything - they are asking.

So are Jewish women welcome in the water with the Somalis in Minnesota?

Its not the gender thing that bothers me but the religious aspect, Muslim only swimming class is discriminating, are we not good enough to share a pool with Muslims?

Are Christian or Jewish children not allowed to join the class? Did I miss that in the article?

Are Christian or Jewish children not allowed to join the class? Did I miss that in the article?

I thought this was only for Muslim women in Islamic dress? are they letting women join them in western bathing suits?

That's my question. Is this Muslim women only or just women only? If it's women only, no problem. If it's Muslim only it's bullshit.

I thought this was only for Muslim women in Islamic dress? are they letting women join them in western bathing suits?

You're saying that a Christian - if she chooses to do so - can't put on an Islamic dress and join the class? Does the YMCA do lie detector tests to ensure that all the participants are Muslim? That would obviously be ridiculous.

Point is, if a Christian said "hey I want to participate" and follows the rules for that hour the YMCA won't be turning that person down.

You're saying that a Christian - if she chooses to do so - can't put on an Islamic dress and join the class? Does the YMCA do lie detector tests to ensure that all the participants are Muslim? That would obviously be ridiculous.

Point is, if a Christian said "hey I want to participate" and follows the rules for that hour the YMCA won't be turning that person down.

So Christian women have to don Islamic gear to swim in the pool? this doesn't sound insane to you?

I understand the modesty issue. But lets get to it. Different cultures. This is where we have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Up here we had a big deal going on because muslim girls who are modest (oh and don't piss off your dad or your brother or you're dead) wanted to play soccer but weren't allowed because of head scarves. Oh this one went wild.

BUT one more time the mother of invention is necessity, bingo bango this wonderful muslim girl figured out how to make a soccer regulation, sharia law compliant head piece.

That's my question. Is this Muslim women only or just women only? If it's women only, no problem. If it's Muslim only it's bullshit.

It's not "Muslim women only", it's "whoever wants to follow the rules of that particular class". The rules are set by the owners of the pool (obviously).

What is so crazy about a private company setting rules on how their patrons use the assets they own?

It's not "Muslim women only", it's "whoever wants to follow the rules of that particular class". The rules are set by the owners of the pool (obviously).

What is so crazy about a private company setting rules on how their patrons use the assets they own?

This isn't really about just being "modest", this was started with religious purposes favoring Muslims.

So Christian women have to don Islamic gear to swim in the pool? this doesn't sound insane to you?

First of all, I don't believe that anyone is required to wear anything specific. The only rule is that "no men are allowed in the pool area" for that hour. If you have info that specifies otherwise, let me know.

Oh boy this thread is going off the rails. Let's get back to basics.

As far as I know it's just a separation of genders. And don't forget it's a patriarichal sp? society.

There is no option for the girls. So should we punish the young girls for their society? I've struggled with this question for years.

What do we do? Cave to the men? Or have their daughters risk certain death in an honor killing?

Make no mistake about this. The men demand this. Not the women they put out there as controlled robots.

Last edited:
The muslim women where I live go to a women's only swim hour and wear regular western style bathing suits.

It is open for all women regardless of race or religion. .. :cool:

This isn't really about just being "modest", this was started with religious purposes favoring Muslims.

It's catering in a small way to a certain cultural group that exists in the area. It's a way to bring in new customers that would not otherwise swim at that location. Don't they have a right to do that? Doesn't a cafe have a right to write their menus in spanish and english if there's a large Mexican population living nearby?

Let me ask you something; if the YMCA were to block off an hour of swim for disabled people (ie if you're not disabled you CAN'T use the pool for that time), would you also be upset?

First of all, I don't believe that anyone is required to wear anything specific. The only rule is that "no men are allowed in the pool area" for that hour. If you have info that specifies otherwise, let me know.

This is what I get off this too Kevin. Just gender specific. I'm willing to cave on this just so the girls can have some sort of life.

But I'm torn. Because if I and others give in to this it's like this endorsement of keeping women in the stone age.

Aye carumba!

Forum List

Back