Free? That Is A Laugh.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Florida Makes Off-Grid Living Illegal 8211 Mandates All Homes Must Be Connected To An Electricity Grid Collective-Evolution

"It’s no secret that an opposition to sustainable living exists. Earlier this year, Texas state brought several SWAT teams to a sustainable community and threatened to shut it down. Each one of the community members were initially handcuffed at gunpoint. It was called “The Garden of Eden Community,” and was totally self sustainable. You can read more about that here.

This time, it’s Robin Speronis that’s come under fire. She lives off the grid in Florida, completely independent of the city’s water and electric system. A few weeks ago, officials ruled her off-grid home illegal. Officials cited the International Property Maintenance Code, which mandates that homes be connected to an electricity grid and a running water source. That’s just like saying our dependency on corporations isn’t even a choice. The battle to live without most utilities has been ongoing for Robin, the self-sufficient woman has lived for more than a year and a half using solar energy, a propane camping stove and rain water.

In the end, she was found not guilty of not having a proper sewer or electrical system; but was guilty of not being hooked up to an approved water supply."

without getting into another tiresome discussion with Whinerborn about his altered reality, all society can be considered a balance between individual freedoms vs. collective good.

So this city has a regulation that everyone has to be hooked into the electrical and water grids. Are these good laws? Maybe. Should we respect the right of eccentrics to live off the grid? Maybe. Maybe not.

Were her methods to create her own electric and water annoying to her neighbors? Maybe. was she burying her poop in the backyard?

Me, I kind of like living in a city where we have purified water, consistent electric delivery, and effective sewage.

That'd be pretty ridiculous in my part of Colorado. Off-grid living is a reality for at least 20% of residents in Southern Colorado, especially a lot of ranches that've been here forever.

That'd be pretty ridiculous in my part of Colorado. Off-grid living is a reality for at least 20% of residents in Southern Colorado, especially a lot of ranches that've been here forever.

And that's probably fine.

This is a woman who lived within a city in an urbanized area.

Native American Indian ranchers?

So... let me get this straight. Law mandates the we all have ACA-compliant health insurance whether we want it or not. This (supposedly) ensures that the underprivileged are also afforded health insurance.

Yet, a utility is expected to supply power to households while assuming ever-burgeoning costs for the benefit of non-participants?

In both cases it seems that the needs of the few far outweigh the needs of the many.

This is the cornerstone of Liberal ideology.

Fuck 'em. :fu:

Possible to be hooked up but still provide for yourself instead? You know, sort of a 'lead a horse to water' thing.

That's the downside to supporting the ever increasing government control over our lives. Be careful what you vote for.

As it should be. I understand the need for regulations that concern dealing with sewage or gray water. But to simply require that someone be connected to a utility, whether they want it or not, is simply unacceptable.

I dont have a problem with people living off grid,in fact I'm considering it myself,but not in urban areas where there is a problem with disposing of waste.
You want to move to the boonies and put in a septic system and a well and run it all off renewable resources? Good on ya...

Living off the grid may also involve running generators for power, solar panels will only do so much. Lots of generators running is going to be at odds with the Earth friendly theme.

I dont have a problem with people living off grid,in fact I'm considering it myself,but not in urban areas where there is a problem with disposing of waste.
You want to move to the boonies and put in a septic system and a well and run it all off renewable resources? Good on ya...

The lady in the link has sewer. She uses rainwater to flush.

without getting into another tiresome discussion with Whinerborn about his altered reality, all society can be considered a balance between individual freedoms vs. collective good.

So this city has a regulation that everyone has to be hooked into the electrical and water grids. Are these good laws? Maybe. Should we respect the right of eccentrics to live off the grid? Maybe. Maybe not.

Were her methods to create her own electric and water annoying to her neighbors? Maybe. was she burying her poop in the backyard?

Me, I kind of like living in a city where we have purified water, consistent electric delivery, and effective sewage.

I have no problem with you preferring to live in a city. I have my days when I like it and days when I miss living a more rural lifestyle. I also prefer the utilities you mentioned.

However, what you and I prefer and what should be forced to be used are two different things.

Not only are most utilities a monopoly, now we are required to be connected? Again, it is unacceptable.

But she wasnt paying for the sewer hook up. What would happen if everyone did that? If she wants to live off the grid she needs to move somewhere it doesnt effect others. There are rules to be followed when living in a community,if they aren't that community will fail. SHE chose to live there and knew the rules going in.

Living off the grid may also involve running generators for power, solar panels will only do so much. Lots of generators running is going to be at odds with the Earth friendly theme.

Windmills combined with solar and battery banks make it possible if you're careful.
Personally I would prefer an electrical hook up or a generator supplemented by renewables.
I'm not interested in the green part of it so much as the the idea of being independent if things go south.

Because of water charges being put into effect, we put in a system to catch rain water. We are being told that we are going to have to pay a certain amount no matter how little water we use from the system.

Forum List

Back