Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Did his contract have one?

Undoubtedly. It's SOP. A while back I posted this -- roll tape:

Here's a complete contract for a TV show similar to the Duckheads. Read paragraph 13. See also section 8(a) and throughout the contract, which makes it clear the Producer OWNS the Artist's life and what they can do during the term of that contract.

But that's not HIS contract.

This guy is no dummy. He didn't do anything wrong. They're going to apologize to him and ask him to come back.

Why should he be reprimanded for saying he's a Christian and homosexuality is a sin?

It is a sin. It comes under fornication/adultery.

If that is all he said, there would be no issue would there?

what you and boo boo do in private is your own business---------please Please do not post any pictures.

The problem with Phil is that there has always been an ugly stereotype of Redneck white trash engaging in sex with farm animals.

His bringing it up in an attempt to smear gays is somewhat awkward for him given his own background

If he was trying to smear Gays he would do it.

That wasn't his intent, I'm sure.

Haters looking to hate.

By equating gays with bestiality, he did smear them and has done so in the past

He also downplayed Jim Crow as no big deal and blacks were better off

Why should he be reprimanded for saying he's a Christian and homosexuality is a sin?

If that is all he said, there would be no issue would there?

Not so much.

I tried watching his hate sermon from 2010, made it in about eleven minutes. I don't know how anybody can read what he said in GQ and not only 1) agree, but 2) not see what this says about themselves.

But - yeah. Self-awareness is obviously not a personality trait Phil and his followers possess.

Did his contract have one?

Undoubtedly. It's SOP. A while back I posted this -- roll tape:

Here's a complete contract for a TV show similar to the Duckheads. Read paragraph 13. See also section 8(a) and throughout the contract, which makes it clear the Producer OWNS the Artist's life and what they can do during the term of that contract.

But that's not HIS contract.

This guy is no dummy. He didn't do anything wrong. They're going to apologize to him and ask him to come back.

Doubtful.

I don't have HIS contract, obviously. But that's a contract for another so-called "reality" show (oh the irony - reality show with team of writers) so we can presume it's very similar, if not identical.

>> TheWrap spoke to multiple legal experts who said that, if Robertson’s contract contained a morals clause — as if often the case with on-air talent — than the reality TV star has little in the way of legal recourse.

Often, such morals clauses note that, if talents speaks or acts in a way that insults or denigrates people, the producer reserves the right to suspend or terminate that talent.

And typically, defining such language or actions is left to the discretion of the studio — basically, “if we say it is so, it is.” Tough to mount a legal argument against that.

&#8220;My guess is that they [suspended Robertson] on the basis of a morality clause,&#8221; one entertainment attorney told TheWrap on Wednesday. &#8220;Once you sign a reality show contract, they own you.&#8221; <<

-- TheWrap.com

And again, that contract is entered into by both parties voluntarily. You might say the Artist sells his soul, but he does get paid for it. Because what the TV company is selling is an illusion. If that illusion isn't met by Talent, out they go.

Last edited:
Yeah, they don't want him gone.

And I don't think he's going to renounce his faith.

A&E will not be getting a Charistmas card from me and mine, but Papa Phil will.

A&E has always been on my Christmas card list
I have never sent one to Duck Dynasty but always send one to Pawn Stars

He wasn’t reprimanded for saying he's a Christian and homosexuality is a sin.

He was appropriately admonished by his corporate partner and private society in general for making ignorant, hateful, and untrue statements concerning homosexuals and African-Americans.

That's what you guys say Scripture is.

He said homosexuality is a sin...and he said he'd never heard a black person complain when he was working with them.

Only to leftards are those comments "hateful".

"...I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Wow that's heinous.

"&#8220;Everything is blurred on what&#8217;s right and what&#8217;s wrong... Sin becomes fine,&#8221; he said. &#8220;Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.&#8221;

"Paraphrasing Corinthians he added: &#8220;Don&#8217;t be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers&#8212;they won&#8217;t inherit the kingdom of God. Don&#8217;t deceive yourself. It&#8217;s not right.&#8221;

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...suspended-after-comments-about-homosexuality/

Lefties are mad because he dared to call it a sin when you fuck indiscriminately. Poor babies.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vox
And here's the guy they like to call stupid:

"
In 1972, with Jesus at the wheel, Robertson founded the Duck Commander company, which sold a line of custom-made duck-hunting calls that quickly became popular among avid hunters for their uncanny accuracy in replicating the sound of a real duck. He eventually sold half the company to his son Willie, now 41, and together they made a DVD series about the family&#8217;s duck hunts, which led to a show on the Outdoor Channel, which led to Duck Dynasty on A&E, which led to everything blowing right the fuck up."

"
But the show, whose fifth season premieres on January 15, is just one part of the family&#8217;s pop-cultural dominance. In 2013 four books written (kind of!) by Robertson family members made the top ten on the New York Times nonfiction best-seller list. Another book&#8212;penned by Jase Robertson and detailing his Christian rebirth at age 14, his struggle to forgive his father&#8217;s past behavior, and his young daughter&#8217;s struggle through five facial-reconstruction surgeries to overcome a severe cleft lip and palate&#8212;is forthcoming and destined to make it five best-sellers. There&#8217;s also a book of devotionals somewhere in there, along with Duck Dynasty&#8211;themed birthday cards, bobblehead dolls, camo apparel (pink camo for the ladies), Cajun-spice seasoning, car fresheners, iPhone games (from the press release: &#8220;As players successfully complete the challenges, their beards grow to epic proportions and they start to transform from a yuppie into a full-blown redneck!&#8221;), and presumably some sort of camou flage home-pregnancy test."

Read More Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson Gives Drew Magary a Tour

It's sour grapes.

And their faith has always been a huge part of their appeal..which A&E has known all along. A&E is afraid of the homo bloc...but as it turns out, the homo bloc are an extremist minority in this case. The American people know bullshit when they see it, and they know what does, and what doesn't, constitute racism and "hate".

The hate is all concentrated on the left, and they're leveling it at this guys in the same way they tried to level it at Chick fil A, and the guys who don't want to bake cakes and take pics for gay weddings.

Thank goodness, you loons are a tiny majority.

Hold on now hold on, did any of you leftist bigots miss it when even Obama wasn't willing to fully disclose his Judeo-Christian principles and relationships both with God and with Government?

Have you ever met Phil Robertson? Seen his show? He's an asshole.

He's a over paid egotistical hick who spouts bigoted uneducated and outdated religious views that cater to the prejudices of billions.

Phil Robertson may be a dumbass but he sure as hell fulfills the stereotypes of one and he sure as hell fulfills the prejudices of others who live their prejudices vicariously through Phil and look to him as a "shining example" of Judeo Christian Principles considering the amount of success he's had monetarily, socially, and now politically.

The media cluster fuck that was caused by the GQ interviews and political speeches given by Phil Robertson is nothing more than the finest political and educational bigotry the advertising wing of the Duck Dynasty publicists office could come up with under the motto "any publicity even bad publicity is still publicity" and if not for social media this generation would REALLY understand the lengths to which some people will go to to achieve mainstream success and media coverage.

Aside from the obvious direction Phil Robertson appears to be going in he's now established a political platform and outlet for his views in the media and as a result has now established himself as a political and conservative authority with an audience willing to provide legitimacy. The political dimensions of Phil Robertson's character will likely become more prevalent after Duck Dynasty meets its end, however many seasons from now that may be.

Essentially the new motto of the right wing will be "Phil Robertson for President".

Last edited:
Makes one wonder about the OP's supposed newly found libertarianist streak...

If the DD dude was "just voicing his opining", certainly those who favor the other side of the argument were "just voicing their opinion" as well.

One would think that there would be no favortism from a libertarian for either side since they are both just exercising their rights.

If anything, don't be mad at those opposed to the DD dude, be mad at A&E for siding with those opposed.

Makes me think that the "libertarian" agrees with the anti-homsexual views. So much for all of that "personal liberty" shit he was preaching yesterday.

what a dumb thing to say.

don't you have a favorite sports team?

plus agreeing that homosexual sex IS a mortal sin has absolutely nothing to do with being libertarian. It is connected to religious views.

I think so as well.

Sports has nothing to do with sports.

A religious view? Explain...why would homosexuality have anything to do with religion?

you were talking about favoritism. and being surprised that people cheer for "their team" and not cheer for the opposite.
It is natural. Favoritism, that is.
That is why I pointed out about sports team - because sports team support is in the same emotional court.

Phil Robertson voiced his opinion based on his religious views and as I understand based the answers on them ( I have to admit I have never heard about the guy before and I have not read the interview in question). Christianity is based on a very precise set of rules and extramarital sex is considered sin by those rules. Since by the Christian belief a marriage is valid only between one man and one woman, the homosexual sex is a mortal sin, because it is 1) adulterous 2) unnatural.
Being homosexual ( or transvestite, or asexual) per se is not a sin. Engaging in the extramarital sex is.
Since we are discussing here the freedom of expressing one's religious beliefs or lack thereof, which started because the above named Phil expressed his views on homosexuality based on them - therefore the connection is discussed.

That was all he said.

Afraid it is not

If he had kept his objections purely religious, there would be no story. Instead he had to get his bestiality comparison in and his distasteful anal sex analysis. There is also his tirade of a sermon in Pennsylvania that was released today. It is obvious the man hates gays

What were his religious reasons for endorsing Jim Crow?

They're all sins, that's what the bible says.

Too bad for the extremist homo bloc. America agrees.

That was all he said.

Afraid it is not

If he had kept his objections purely religious, there would be no story. Instead he had to get his bestiality comparison in and his distasteful anal sex analysis. There is also his tirade of a sermon in Pennsylvania that was released today. It is obvious the man hates gays

What were his religious reasons for endorsing Jim Crow?

Plus he implied black people aren't happy and are lazy now .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back