Freedom of Religious Opinion? Not If You're Phil Robertson

Mine, of course :D

I do not care about your religion or atheism at all. you can believe or not believe whatever you want.

but don't even think to impose your views on me - and that is exactly what the outrage is about - the guy, whatever his name is, has a God given and Constitutionally approved right to his views and should not be ostracized for them

LOL

Same here.

I wouldn't "impose" my views on you, that's against my beliefs. Your relationship or lack thereof with your God or no God, is your own personal choice. On this part: "has a God given and Constitutionally approved right to his views and should not be ostracized for them", we disagree. Here's why;if he has a "God given and Constitutionally approved right to his views", people also have a "God given and Constitutionally approved right to express their views" for or against his beliefs and comments. It seems that some of his supporters don't agree with the latter for some strange reason. It almost like some people think that the people complaining should shut up and not express their own views about what he said.

I disagree with his views but I also disagree with A&E's decision, I don't think that what he said was so egregious. I think what he said was full of horse shit, but I wouldn't run and try to get him fired or protest against him.

No. it is a continuum of support on his right to express his views.
A&E had the right to fire him - they are a private entity.

But so do the millions of his supporters - they have an absolute right to boycott A&E.

And that is what is going on - citizenry exercising their God given, Constitutionally approved right to free speech.

well, and freedom of where your buck is going to :D

Where do we disagree on this issue?

We both agree that he has the right to say what he said without government censorship aka the First Amendment. Right?

We both agree that his detractors also have their First Amendment right to speak out against what he said. Right?

We both agree that his supporters have their First Amendment right to speak out in support of him and boycott A&E. Right?

What's all of the hub bub about? :lol:

LOL

Same here.

I wouldn't "impose" my views on you, that's against my beliefs. Your relationship or lack thereof with your God or no God, is your own personal choice. On this part: "has a God given and Constitutionally approved right to his views and should not be ostracized for them", we disagree. Here's why;if he has a "God given and Constitutionally approved right to his views", people also have a "God given and Constitutionally approved right to express their views" for or against his beliefs and comments. It seems that some of his supporters don't agree with the latter for some strange reason. It almost like some people think that the people complaining should shut up and not express their own views about what he said.

I disagree with his views but I also disagree with A&E's decision, I don't think that what he said was so egregious. I think what he said was full of horse shit, but I wouldn't run and try to get him fired or protest against him.

But so do the millions of his supporters - they have an absolute right to boycott A&E.

And that is what is going on - citizenry exercising their God given, Constitutionally approved right to free speech.

Makes one wonder about the OP's supposed newly found libertarianist streak...

If the DD dude was "just voicing his opining", certainly those who favor the other side of the argument were "just voicing their opinion" as well.

One would think that there would be no favortism from a libertarian for either side since they are both just exercising their rights.

If anything, don't be mad at those opposed to the DD dude, be mad at A&E for siding with those opposed.

Makes me think that the "libertarian" agrees with the anti-homsexual views. So much for all of that "personal liberty" shit he was preaching yesterday.

Excellent analysis!!!!

LOL

Same here.

We both agree that he has the right to say what he said without government censorship aka the First Amendment. Right?

We both agree that his detractors also have their First Amendment right to speak out against what he said. Right?

We both agree that his supporters have their First Amendment right to speak out in support of him and boycott A&E. Right?

we do not disagree :)

just few moments to polish :beer:

If the DD dude was "just voicing his opining", certainly those who favor the other side of the argument were "just voicing their opinion" as well.

One would think that there would be no favortism from a libertarian for either side since they are both just exercising their rights.

If anything, don't be mad at those opposed to the DD dude, be mad at A&E for siding with those opposed.

Makes me think that the "libertarian" agrees with the anti-homsexual views. So much for all of that "personal liberty" shit he was preaching yesterday.

what a dumb thing to say.

don't you have a favorite sports team?

plus agreeing that homosexual sex IS a mortal sin has absolutely nothing to do with being libertarian. It is connected to religious views.

I think so as well.

Sports has nothing to do with sports.

A religious view? Explain...why would homosexuality have anything to do with religion?

plus agreeing that homosexual sex IS a mortal sin has absolutely nothing to do with being libertarian. It is connected to religious views.

I think so as well.

The issue has nothing to do with ‘religious views.’

It has to do with the ignorance and hate expressed by the cast member concerning homosexuals and African-Americans – and he was admonished by private society accordingly and appropriately, manifesting no ‘violation’ of freedom of speech or religion.

LOL

Same here.

Good point.

?

I don't have a horse in the gay community. I came here for the question of whether an employer has the right to hire and fire.

Surely you're not so naïve as to believe a corporation has a conscience? No no my son, regardless what SCOTUS sez, corporations make their moves based on the bottom line. That's it. That's always been it.

As I said -- news travels slow.

I don't disagree with anything you've posted here.

But I must say, the phrase "I don't have a horse in the gay community" is very amusing to me.

I know -- I chuckled myself as it was coming out.

I kill me :lmao:

Never say "coming out" in a gay thread!

I think so as well.

The issue has nothing to do with ‘religious views.’

It has to do with the ignorance and hate expressed by the cast member concerning homosexuals and African-Americans – and he was admonished by private society accordingly and appropriately, manifesting no ‘violation’ of freedom of speech or religion.

Also, we need to look at Esquire...their magazine invites such idiotic banter more often than not. Its stilll an idiotic thing to do, he deserved to be repremanded (sp?) for it.

LOL

Same here.

Again with the logic!! What's gotten into you today, mister?!

Why should he be reprimanded for saying he's a Christian and homosexuality is a sin?

It is a sin. It comes under fornication/adultery.

No shit.

Whoda thunk that saying "I'm a Christian and we all sin" would bring about disrepute, contempt or scandal to A&E.

It didn't, of course.

Their treatment of him for declaring his Christianity, however, did.

I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised by the comments made in this show. Nevertheless, everyone has a right to express their opinion on the matter regardless of whether or not it is based in ignorance. This is, afterall, supposedly a free country.

Forum List

Back