Freedom of Speech vs. Political Correctness

PC is freedom of speech. You people are a hoot.
"he said ******!"
"lets socially assassinate him and make him bankrupt!"
:rolleyes:
Who said that? Oh, no one. You are just so afraid of saying something un-PC you need to make a strawman to protect you. :thup:

Saying something un-PC can destroy your career, as Mike Ditka recently learned.
Mike Ditka was a bigoted dick anyway
Karma is a bitch that way.

And anyone YOU think is a "bigoted dick" has to be ruined. Got it.

Ready to shine your jackboots for some goosestepping later?

say, what happened to the zillion other threads where these same posters have already had this conversation a zillion times?

you want to be an asshole AND have peer approval, tough shit...

Not approval, just the ability to say what one thinks without fear of personal ruin.

Call me an asshole, thats fine. but when you try to ruin what I have, that's a problem.

That you can't see it is sad.

say, what happened to the zillion other threads where these same posters have already had this conversation a zillion times?

if you are getting bored of this, may I suggest the Hello Kitty Fan Board as more to your liking?

why are you folks always so backwards

cold is hot

left is right

now pc is free speech

--LOL

PC is free speech

You say something that I find offensive, my freedom of speech says I get to say something about it

The problem is the metric is passing from saying something about it into doing something about it.
They won't engage on the difference between "saying something" and "doing something" about it.

And, they'll conflate the two. They'll play the victim, as if you're trying to stop their speech.

Transparent, dishonest.

donald trump thinks he's such a master of the obvious, so brave to speak of collective "muslim hatred"

his ignorant sheeple believe they will solve problems by patting each other on the back about PCism ^

earth to donald, insulting people does not solve anything nor does it make America "great" for their leaders to appeal to base fear and loathing. believe it or not ignoramuses, US diplomats actually know what they are doing.

Human Rights Campaign Endorses Hillary Clinton for President

Trump has been running against “political correctness.” This has sometimes meant attacking taboos that prevent real discussions, foster social exclusion, and signal snobbery. One key to taking Trump down is pointing out that he is also violating norms that are essential to American democracy. And that is a different offense. Every “crazy” Trump quote may be “politically incorrect,” but those labels conflate all categories of controversial rhetoric as if their substance is equally wrong. Neither impoliteness nor tone-deafness nor crude insults are to his credit. But a pol who seeks to gain power by demonizing ethnic-minority groups and threatening their core rights is engaged in a special category of leadership failure.

Too few Americans see that distinction. And Trump benefits from their dearth of discernment.

How to Take 'Political Correctness' Away From Donald Trump

The cliché term political correctness or "PC" is a snarl word usually referring to upholding a social taboo against language and attitudes that might be considered bigoted.[1] This loaded term has become a boogey-man for the right-wing, who use it to tar anything that runs contrary to their own policies, such as letting women out of the kitchen or gays out of the closet.

Ruth Perry wrote in an essay entitled A Short History of the Term "Politically Correct"[2] that the term was first coined by Mao Zedong,[3] but was later hijacked by conservative eclectics who proceeded to overuse it in exactly the manner above described, hence taking all the juice out of it.[4] (Defending oneself with it might be the most popular handwave to dismiss social criticism.) More recently, advocates of political correctness have therefore substituted the term "civilized speech" for "politically correct" in order to boost its image in light of the PC backlash.

In full irony, conservatives have also adopted political correctness widely; trying to justify censorship on the grounds that something is anti-American or anti-Christian, such as Conservapedia's insistence on BC/AD to the total exclusion of BCE/CE.

In fact, it's probably helpful to remember that in common parlance anything a conservative would consider to be polite speech isn't PC, whereas anything a liberal would consider to be polite speech is. This is why banning the "f-word" from broadcast is neutral and not PC at all, whereas banning a racial epithet from broadcast is.[5]

As above, passive-aggressive people who defend racism or reactionary views and but don't want to be labeled that way attack dissenters as "politically correct."[6]

Political correctness - RationalWiki

Saying something un-PC can destroy your career, as Mike Ditka recently learned.

In other words, you're in favor of PC being used to destroy people. Disliking Obama is not proof that you're a bigot, and it's certainly not a valid reason for losing your job.
He didn't lose his job. You know what's worse than whining about PC? Lying.

Then why are all the news outlets saying he was?

Mike Ditka to be removed from ESPN's 'Sunday NFL Countdown,' website reports

You're an unquestioning believer of the news now? One website constitutes 'all the news outlets'?

Please cite one that says he wasn't fired.

The cliché term political correctness or "PC" is a snarl word usually referring to upholding a social taboo against language and attitudes that might be considered bigoted.[1] This loaded term has become a boogey-man for the right-wing, who use it to tar anything that runs contrary to their own policies, such as letting women out of the kitchen or gays out of the closet.

Ruth Perry wrote in an essay entitled A Short History of the Term "Politically Correct"[2] that the term was first coined by Mao Zedong,[3] but was later hijacked by conservative eclectics who proceeded to overuse it in exactly the manner above described, hence taking all the juice out of it.[4] (Defending oneself with it might be the most popular handwave to dismiss social criticism.) More recently, advocates of political correctness have therefore substituted the term "civilized speech" for "politically correct" in order to boost its image in light of the PC backlash.

In full irony, conservatives have also adopted political correctness widely; trying to justify censorship on the grounds that something is anti-American or anti-Christian, such as Conservapedia's insistence on BC/AD to the total exclusion of BCE/CE.

In fact, it's probably helpful to remember that in common parlance anything a conservative would consider to be polite speech isn't PC, whereas anything a liberal would consider to be polite speech is. This is why banning the "f-word" from broadcast is neutral and not PC at all, whereas banning a racial epithet from broadcast is.[5]

As above, passive-aggressive people who defend racism or reactionary views and but don't want to be labeled that way attack dissenters as "politically correct."[6]

Political correctness - RationalWiki

There's no evidence of racism other than the fact that the guy who got punched was black.

a zillion threads kicking the PC boogeyman can down the road...

and STILL waiting for someone to cite an example "PC" legislation :lol:

In other words, you're in favor of PC being used to destroy people. Disliking Obama is not proof that you're a bigot, and it's certainly not a valid reason for losing your job.
He didn't lose his job. You know what's worse than whining about PC? Lying.

Then why are all the news outlets saying he was?

Mike Ditka to be removed from ESPN's 'Sunday NFL Countdown,' website reports

You're an unquestioning believer of the news now? One website constitutes 'all the news outlets'?

Please cite one that says he wasn't fired.

I already did. Read the fucking thread.

cold is hot

left is right

now pc is free speech

--LOL

PC is free speech

You say something that I find offensive, my freedom of speech says I get to say something about it

The problem is the metric is passing from saying something about it into doing something about it.

Everything you say can have consequences. Free speech is not a vaccination.

cold is hot

left is right

now pc is free speech

--LOL

PC is free speech

Everything you say can have consequences. Free speech is not a vaccination.

You keep trying to whitewash what is happening by using sterile words like "consequences". Its similar to other sterile words used to cover up something you know deep down is wrong, but since it helps your side you try to rationalize it.

have the courage to be specific so we can discuss facts, rather than using 'sterile' generalizations. ;)

Forum List

Back