Freedom of Speech vs. Political Correctness

Ah, and you're in charge of determining what is "offensive".

And you'll try to issue consequences if I don't agree with your definition.

That's my point. Right there.

Yes. I am in charge of what is offensive.....for me. Just as you are in charge of that decision for you.
And I wouldn't think of issuing consequences if you said something I didn't like.

Too bad that courtesy won't be returned.

They either really don't get it, or they do get it and have decided to ignore their own inherent thuggery.
Talk it up, boys. Doesn't mean it won't cost you. Free speech can be very expensive...

And here is the thuggery, right on time.
How is that fact thuggery?

I believe that freedom of speech is our most important Constitutional right and that political correctness is its greatest adversary. The question is, who among our Presidential candidates will be its greatest defender?

The answer, obviously, is Donald Trump. You may not like his speech, but he is the embodiment of exercising that right. Ted Cruz makes good legal arguments, and the rest of the GOP candidates espouse conservative Constitutional principles, but Trump is the only one who puts his money where his mouth is.

Of course this "offends" those who want to control your speech, your thoughts and your money. Isn't it time we finally tell these people to "fuck off?"

PC has nothing to do with Freedom of Speech

Freedom of speech allows you to be criticized for the things you say. Trump also uses his freedom to criticize others

Since when does trying to ruin someone equal criticizing them back?

Any political campaign fits that description.

Really? How so?

Yes. I am in charge of what is offensive.....for me. Just as you are in charge of that decision for you.
And I wouldn't think of issuing consequences if you said something I didn't like.

They either really don't get it, or they do get it and have decided to ignore their own inherent thuggery.
Talk it up, boys. Doesn't mean it won't cost you. Free speech can be very expensive...

If you can't or refuse to see it, or see it and agree with it but pretend not to, then I can't help you.

When people are afraid to voice their opinions, why do you think they are afraid to do so? The threat is implied that "if we don't like your politics, we may go after your way of life".

this is the crux of the true appeal of the donald... he's a voice for American cowards.

Why should there be "consequences", including and up to losing your job just for saying you think marriage should be between a man and a woman? Why should there be "consequences" just because you think illegal immigrants should be deported? Why should there be "consequences" because you think random college hookups between drunk people is not automatically rape if the woman decides later she doesn't like what happened?

There are always consequences to anything that is said. asking why is as dumb as asking why the sun comes up in the East. It just is. Live with it.

Screw that. the problem is people have become hypersensitive, and just cant stand that other can have opposing views than they do. The proper response to speech you don't like is 1) disagreeing with the person 2)disagreeing and arguing your point or 3) disagreeing and telling the person to piss off. The proper response is not trying to ruin them, or trying to silence them, or trying to intimidate them into silence.

It's terrible when government does it, and not much better when other people do it.
Those on the political left are ignoring this important fact
They'll continue to. They don't want to give this tactic up. Too effective, still.

By making people scared to voice their opinion if it goes against the progressive mantra using bully tactics and such, they have found a way to silence people without even getting the government involved. So they can yammer on about it "not being censorship" while they get the same end result of government censorship.

That's the way freedom of speech works. How long have you been against that right?

I believe that freedom of speech is our most important Constitutional right and that political correctness is its greatest adversary. The question is, who among our Presidential candidates will be its greatest defender?

The answer, obviously, is Donald Trump. You may not like his speech, but he is the embodiment of exercising that right. Ted Cruz makes good legal arguments, and the rest of the GOP candidates espouse conservative Constitutional principles, but Trump is the only one who puts his money where his mouth is.

Of course this "offends" those who want to control your speech, your thoughts and your money. Isn't it time we finally tell these people to "fuck off?"

Freedom of speech allows you to be criticized for the things you say. Trump also uses his freedom to criticize others

Really? How so?

Don't be stupid.

When people are afraid to voice their opinions, why do you think they are afraid to do so? The threat is implied that "if we don't like your politics, we may go after your way of life".

this is the crux of the true appeal of the donald... he's a voice for American cowards.

your disdain of your fellow citizens is noted. Your side created the issue, and now you are whining about it.

I don't like Trump at all, but what he does to throw your side into fits is worth the horrible chance that he might get elected.

Everything, to RWnuts, is some sort of preposterous exaggeration of what it really is.

Really? How so?

Don't be stupid.

Explain yourself, if you can. If you can't then go run and hide as fits your political leanings.

There are always consequences to anything that is said. asking why is as dumb as asking why the sun comes up in the East. It just is. Live with it.

Screw that. the problem is people have become hypersensitive, and just cant stand that other can have opposing views than they do. The proper response to speech you don't like is 1) disagreeing with the person 2)disagreeing and arguing your point or 3) disagreeing and telling the person to piss off. The proper response is not trying to ruin them, or trying to silence them, or trying to intimidate them into silence.

It's terrible when government does it, and not much better when other people do it.
They'll continue to. They don't want to give this tactic up. Too effective, still.

By making people scared to voice their opinion if it goes against the progressive mantra using bully tactics and such, they have found a way to silence people without even getting the government involved. So they can yammer on about it "not being censorship" while they get the same end result of government censorship.

That's the way freedom of speech works. How long have you been against that right?

That's never how freedom of speech works, and the fact that you are pretending that it is the case just goes to show how much of a biased tool you are.

Why should there be "consequences", including and up to losing your job just for saying you think marriage should be between a man and a woman? Why should there be "consequences" just because you think illegal immigrants should be deported? Why should there be "consequences" because you think random college hookups between drunk people is not automatically rape if the woman decides later she doesn't like what happened?

So you don't believe in a private businesses right to run it as they see fit?

Rape? Talk about non sequitur...
Only if it's truly a private business.
Any business that serves the public is not private.

Seawytch is trying to get me into a trap about my concerns over businesses being forced to "bake or die".
This is actually two separate issues, one being government coercion and the other being coercion by the people.
I see no coercion, a business that does business with the public can not and should not refuse Service to anyone due a philosophy.
Safety and health are a different issue.

You do see coercion, you just don't call it that because in these cases you agree with it.

At least stop lying to yourself and call a spade a spade.
False ! pretentious asshole.
Don't make more of an asshole of yourself .

Really? How so?

Don't be stupid.

Explain yourself, if you can. If you can't then go run and hide as fits your political leanings.

Politicians try to ruin each other's careers, election chances, status, etc., all the time.

Is that politically incorrect? If Donald Trump didn't like Obama in 2012, was it out of line for Trump to launch a major birther campaign against him?

That's never how freedom of speech works, and the fact that you are pretending that it is the case just goes to show how much of a biased tool you are.

If a college professor says something that is disliked by many students to the point that the students start a petition drive to get the professor fired,

where's the wrongdoing?

So you don't believe in a private businesses right to run it as they see fit?

Rape? Talk about non sequitur...
Only if it's truly a private business.
Any business that serves the public is not private.

Seawytch is trying to get me into a trap about my concerns over businesses being forced to "bake or die".
This is actually two separate issues, one being government coercion and the other being coercion by the people.
I see no coercion, a business that does business with the public can not and should not refuse Service to anyone due a philosophy.
Safety and health are a different issue.

You do see coercion, you just don't call it that because in these cases you agree with it.

At least stop lying to yourself and call a spade a spade.
False ! pretentious asshole.
Don't make more of an asshole of yourself .

I call it as a see it, and in you I see an insecure jackass who can't handle other people's opinions at a basic level.

what bully tactics?
The right is the undesputed champion of supression.

That is exactly how freedom of speech has always worked. Your confusion is from the fact that your point of view has always been the majority until recently. The country has changed and you are finally getting a view from the other side. So sad for you. Get used to it.

If a college professor says something that is disliked by many students to the point that the students start a petition drive to get the professor fired,

where's the wrongdoing?

It really depends on what was said, and you know it. This generalization is nothing more than fodder.

But to answer the generalization, the issue is that the students are probably over sensitive cry-bullies.

That is exactly how freedom of speech has always worked. Your confusion is from the fact that your point of view has always been the majority until recently. The country has changed and you are finally getting a view from the other side. So sad for you. Get used to it.

So its about revenge then? Right? Figures.

Any my views have always been about freedom of expression, so you don't know what you are talking about.

what bully tactics?
The right is the undesputed champion of supression.

30-40 years ago. Your side has now taken up the mantle. Congrats.

Forum List

Back