Freedom of Speech vs. Political Correctness

You have the right to say anything.

Unfortunately, there is a segment of the population that has decided to take it upon itself to intimidate you from saying something they don't like, using anything from personal to professional destruction.

That doesn't mean your right has been taken away. It simply means that they have weaponized their own freedom of speech.

Not sure what your point is. Do you think speech should have consequences or not? If you don't like being told that you are offensive, then quit being offensive. Problem solved.
Ah, and you're in charge of determining what is "offensive".

And you'll try to issue consequences if I don't agree with your definition.

That's my point. Right there.

Yes. I am in charge of what is offensive.....for me. Just as you are in charge of that decision for you.
And I wouldn't think of issuing consequences if you said something I didn't like.

Too bad that courtesy won't be returned.

They either really don't get it, or they do get it and have decided to ignore their own inherent thuggery.
Talk it up, boys. Doesn't mean it won't cost you. Free speech can be very expensive...

Well, that's an odd view.
If we have the right to free speech then are punished by some social code or another person's definition of what is not free speech, then there is no free speech.
I am well aware that the right to free speech is not absolute. However when those with a political agenda use the threat of sanctions either via employer action or force of government to quash the rights of those with which they do not agree or more accurately, those that refuse to agree with them, we have no free speech.

Unfortunately, there is a segment of the population that has decided to take it upon itself to intimidate you from saying something they don't like, using anything from personal to professional destruction.

That doesn't mean your right has been taken away. It simply means that they have weaponized their own freedom of speech.

Not sure what your point is. Do you think speech should have consequences or not? If you don't like being told that you are offensive, then quit being offensive. Problem solved.

Yes. I am in charge of what is offensive.....for me. Just as you are in charge of that decision for you.
And I wouldn't think of issuing consequences if you said something I didn't like.

Now you are lying. I've read too many of your posts to think you wouldn't respond to something you find offensive.

They either really don't get it, or they do get it and have decided to ignore their own inherent thuggery.
I'm pretty sure they get it but won't bend.

This has been a fabulously successful model for them for a long time.

Look at what they're saying in their posts: It's essentially, "tough shit".

Okay, and I can keep pointing it out.

Now you are lying. I've read too many of your posts to think you wouldn't respond to something you find offensive.
There is a difference between saying something and punishing, issuing consequences.

Please, please tell me you understand that.

That's on him. He obviously can't handle criticism.

Bullshit.
He quit, even though the board of directors stood up for him. He is now the CEO of another company. The entire thing was probably his BS way of getting out of Mozilla as his business methods weren't approved of. Sucks to be you!

Figures you would spin it that way.
It's not spin, look it up.

Public proclamations aside, everyone knows what actually happened.
lol, I'm sure you do "know" as long as it confirms your bias.

Let me make this really simple for you. If people feel you are being unfair to them, they will respond. That's just the way people are built. If you don't like that then "TOUGH SHIT" get over it

Let me make this really simple for you. If people feel you are being unfair to them, they will respond. That's just the way people are built. If you don't like that then "TOUGH SHIT" get over it
Yep, tough shit, I know.

You'll keep punishing and intimidating.

I won't. I'm not afraid of words.

I am cracking up here. He issues consequences all the time by putting people on ignore. You are more than likely next.

Yep, tough shit, I know.

LoneLaugher here is a laugh for you.

I believe that freedom of speech is our most important Constitutional right and that political correctness is its greatest adversary. The question is, who among our Presidential candidates will be its greatest defender?

The answer, obviously, is Donald Trump. You may not like his speech, but he is the embodiment of exercising that right. Ted Cruz makes good legal arguments, and the rest of the GOP candidates espouse conservative Constitutional principles, but Trump is the only one who puts his money where his mouth is.

Of course this "offends" those who want to control your speech, your thoughts and your money. Isn't it time we finally tell these people to "fuck off?"

After his endless ad hominem attacks on other Republicans, the guy whines like a little bitch when they criticize him back

I am cracking up here. He issues consequences all the time by putting people on ignore. You are more than likely next.

Oh, I hope so.

Yep, tough shit, I know.

If that were true, your posts would be completely different. Do you want me to remind you when you slip up so you can be the maintain the non responsive person you claim to be?

:lol: not just ignoring but making that grandstand pronouncement, which he did practically the first time i ever posted to him.

obvious disingenuous doosh is pretty friggin' obvious...and then some!

Yep, tough shit, I know.

If that were true, your posts would be completely different. Do you want me to remind you when you slip up so you can be the maintain the non responsive person you claim to be?
Not sure how I'd be able to punish or intimidate someone from expressing their opinion here, but let me know.

Yep, tough shit, I know.

Not sure how I'd be able to punish or intimidate someone from expressing their opinion here, but let me know.

You're really not interesting enough to make a special effort, but I'll let you know if I happen to run across your silliness.

Yep, tough shit, I know.

You're really not interesting enough to make a special effort, but I'll let you know if I happen to run across your silliness.
Thanks!

"Ever" and "never" in the same post.

This is how you folks handle this. You drag it down to the absurd in an effort to deflect.

You choose to issue consequences.

Because the subject is absurd. There are always consequences to anything that is said. You whine about political correctness when what you really want is to deny free speech to people who disagree with your dumb remarks. Say what you want, but you have to expect what ever consequences.arise from what you say.

Why should there be "consequences", including and up to losing your job just for saying you think marriage should be between a man and a woman? Why should there be "consequences" just because you think illegal immigrants should be deported? Why should there be "consequences" because you think random college hookups between drunk people is not automatically rape if the woman decides later she doesn't like what happened?

So you don't believe in a private businesses right to run it as they see fit?

Rape? Talk about non sequitur...
Only if it's truly a private business.
Any business that serves the public is not private.

Seawytch is trying to get me into a trap about my concerns over businesses being forced to "bake or die".
This is actually two separate issues, one being government coercion and the other being coercion by the people.
I see no coercion, a business that does business with the public can not and should not refuse Service to anyone due a philosophy.
Safety and health are a different issue.

That's on him. He obviously can't handle criticism.

Bullshit.
He quit, even though the board of directors stood up for him. He is now the CEO of another company. The entire thing was probably his BS way of getting out of Mozilla as his business methods weren't approved of. Sucks to be you!

Figures you would spin it that way.
It's not spin, look it up.

Public proclamations aside, everyone knows what actually happened.
Argumentum ad populum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yep, tough shit, I know.

How is expressing that pov intimidating?
Both "sides" had their say.
Unless I'm wrong the argument you are making is about wanting no consequences to any kind for speech.

Forum List

Back