Friday will be a bad day to be hungry.

So how is the Republicans fault that the Democrat's temporary boost from the 2009 stimulus bill is expiring??? :dunno:

Does anyone know why the Democrats didn't make the increase permanent when they put it in the 2009 stimulus bill?

Aaaaaand you're making this partisan - because?

:lol: Really it is partisan when democrats extend food stamps in 2009 but didn't make it permanent when they had the votes to do it in 2009. It was and always has been about votes with democrats.

You're right. Now they can do it again right before the next election. Oh well, maybe it was a lucrative Halloween!

I'm never glad my grandparents are dead. I miss them every day.

Of course, none of them were dependent upon foodstamps for survival. My grandpa and grandma had a big garden...and my other grandmother was supported by family till the day she died, a few days from the hundredth birthday, at my auntie's house.

That money is there to supplement a food budget, not replace it entirely. The family with 287 dollars per month in food stamps, now 251 dollars, in extra food money isn't going to starve. They might have to budget a bit more, but so what?

How Much Could I Receive?

Allotments for households in the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia.

The amount of benefits the household gets is called an allotment. The net monthly income of the household is multiplied by .3, and the result is subtracted from the maximum allotment for the household size to find the household's allotment. This is because SNAP households are expected to spend about 30 percent of their resources on food.

(October 2012 through September 2013)

People in Household

Maximum Monthly Allotment

1 $ 200

2 $ 367

3 $ 526

4 $ 668

5 $ 793

6 $ 952

7 $ 1,052

8 $ 1,202

Each additional person
$ 150

Benefits are provided from the day the household applies.

For further information, contact your local or State office. It may be listed in the State or local government pages of the telephone book. Or call your State's SNAP hotline. Most are toll-free numbers.

Last modified: 07/25/2013

How Much Could I Receive?

^^^^The amount to expect, before the cuts. I can tell you I don't spend $200 a month on food. But then I don't buy a lot of junk food, I cook, and my splurges are just that splurges - not every shopping trip items.

What a pompous ass Penn Gillette is.. beating up strawmen seems to be his forte.

NOBODY thinks its "compassion" to vote for a government that helps its CITIZENS.

Its enlightened SELF INTEREST to see to it that everybody in your nation is doing as well as possible.

That DOES seem to be the one thing most of our resident libertarians cannot quite fathom: the whole POINT of government is to help citizens because when you neighbors do well, so do YOU.

Let me know if anybody addresses the vets and the seniors. I'm going to go get some sleep. I hope.

Yes, why is it that everyone assumes the only people on foodstamps are lazy people of working age, people who are physically or mentally able to work? What about poor seniors, what about those with mental or physical handicaps, what about the children of the poor? It certainly seems to me those in this country who say they are the most Christian are actually the least Christian in their hearts and in their behavior.

What about the muslims, the Buddhists, and the Hindu. Lottsa them in this country. How come you exclude them?

Bottom line is all you know that gets done is what the government does. There are many church sponsored food banks all over the country. So, take your manufactured piety and shove it up your ass!

Congress beats up on the hungry - Chicago Sun-Times

Starting Friday, food stamp benefits will be trimmed back because a temporary boost from the 2009 stimulus bill is expiring. More than 47 million Americans — one in seven — will see less food on their plates. A family of four, for example, will get $36 less a month. That might not seem like much until you consider the average household monthly benefit is only $287. The Congressional Budget Office expects spending on food stamps in fiscal 2014 to fall by $5 billion.

As a result, the Illinois Hunger Coalition says, more than 2 million Illinois residents — including about 349,000 seniors and 886,000 children — will have to tighten their belts just as home heating bills are about to soar.

And it could just be a step on the way to more cuts. Both houses of Congress have passed bills that would further trim food stamps, technically known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The House would cut food stamps by $4 billion a year and would tighten eligibility. The Senate bill would cut just $400 million. Talks on a compromise bill began Wednesday afternoon.

SNAP critics, alarmed that the government’s tab for food stamps has more than doubled since 2008 to almost $80 billion, say the program needs to be scaled back. But that’s not taking into account how many people are struggling financially. Although about 20 percent of the increase is due to the stimulus, which is ending, much of the rest is due to the struggling economy, as more people’s incomes drop to levels at which they qualify for aid.

I guess all I can say is I am glad my grandparents are dead, and nobody in my extended family is in need. I cannot think about those who will be affected. My government refuses to - so I can't.

I do hope everybody sees the disconnect between "this is a Christian nation" and "we are done feeding the hungry."

Nearly 1 Million Vets Face Food Stamps Cut | Military.com

About 900,000 veterans and 5,000 active duty troops face cuts in their food stamp benefits beginning Thursday as $5 billion is automatically trimmed from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program for low-income families.

"The coming benefit cut will reduce SNAP benefits, which are already modest, for all households by 7 percent on average, or about $10 per person per month," according to an analysis by the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities.

"Nationwide, in any given month, a total of 900,000 veterans nationwide lived in households that relied on SNAP to provide food for their families in 2011," according to an analysis of census data, the Center's report said.

Anybody else wondering why corporate welfare is good, but helping our fellow Americans is bad?

Can't speak to every state, but in Colorado for a family of.four this amounts to about$11.00 or $12.00. Churches and food banks will manage.

Well..we were zapped today. Took 20 bucks off our allotment of food stamps. 10 bucks each. It won't hurt too badly....I think. Some is better than none, so I am thankful for what they do give us to help us out.

One person with no income sees a reduction from $200 per month, down to $189. I've talked to dozens of people, none are whining about it. They are all fairly confident they can make it up.

And they can.

Here is a partial list of food banks. I say partial because there are more than two in Mayfield KY, and most cities here in the western end of the state that have them are not listed. I know this because I had patients from all over the area, and I made several referrals. We even had one where I worked, but it was limited and was considered just for emergencies.

Pantries by state

Alaska (139)
Alabama (367)
Arkansas (428)
Arizona (314)
California (550)
Colorado (59)
Connecticut (388)
District of Columbia (30)
Delaware (68)
Florida (746)
Georgia (316)
Hawaii (105)
Iowa (143)
Idaho (164)
Illinois (393)
Indiana (502)
Kansas (62)
Kentucky (61)
Louisiana (197)
Massachusetts (417)
Maryland (68)
Maine (293)
Michigan (729)
Minnesota (588)
Missouri (269)
Mississippi (165)
Montana (128)
North Carolina (358)
North Dakota (141)
Nebraska (55)
New Hampshire (280)
New Jersey (404)
New Mexico (402)
Nevada (20)
New York (1070)
Ohio (470)
Oklahoma (334)
Oregon (242)
Pennsylvania (137)
Rhode Island (131)
South Carolina (135)
South Dakota (9)
Tennessee (73)
Texas (262)
Utah (145)
Virginia (221)
Vermont (155)
Washington (160)
Wisconsin (69)
West Virginia (121)
Wyoming (14)

Food Pantries | Soup Kitchens | Food Banks

This is just another 'I'm not a Christian, but I'm a better Christian than you' thread. It is full of flagrant lies AND it is boring.

It is not the government's job to perform Christian ministries. Hell's bells, all of you libs shit a squealing worm if one word from the Christian Bible shows up in government and now you are shitting a squealing worm because the government is not a sponsoring a Christian food ministry. You are a stupid bunch of hypocrites.

Tell me libs, how many little hungry children have you picked up and fed today?

Speaking of foodbanks and churches. Here in my neck of the woods, there are a few churches that give out food on a weekly basis. I never go, but the roomie does, and so does the inlaws. They have to draw a ticket with a number on it, then wait. Some people get there hours early, write their name on the bag, leave the bag in the line, go somewhere, then come back and get in the line where their bag is. First ones in the door get the pick of the food, so those WAYYY back there? They are shit out of luck. And, what is worse, the food being given is dated 2011 and some 2012. Nothing is 2013 expiration. And the meat, if any is there? Rotten. Stinks. I told the roomie to stop bringing her meat home...if she wants meat, I will share some of mine. And the canned food? Watch for bulging cans..of which there were quite a few. I say shame on the church for handing out poison.

Congress beats up on the hungry - Chicago Sun-Times

Starting Friday, food stamp benefits will be trimmed back because a temporary boost from the 2009 stimulus bill is expiring. More than 47 million Americans — one in seven — will see less food on their plates. A family of four, for example, will get $36 less a month. That might not seem like much until you consider the average household monthly benefit is only $287. The Congressional Budget Office expects spending on food stamps in fiscal 2014 to fall by $5 billion.

As a result, the Illinois Hunger Coalition says, more than 2 million Illinois residents — including about 349,000 seniors and 886,000 children — will have to tighten their belts just as home heating bills are about to soar.

And it could just be a step on the way to more cuts. Both houses of Congress have passed bills that would further trim food stamps, technically known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The House would cut food stamps by $4 billion a year and would tighten eligibility. The Senate bill would cut just $400 million. Talks on a compromise bill began Wednesday afternoon.

SNAP critics, alarmed that the government’s tab for food stamps has more than doubled since 2008 to almost $80 billion, say the program needs to be scaled back. But that’s not taking into account how many people are struggling financially. Although about 20 percent of the increase is due to the stimulus, which is ending, much of the rest is due to the struggling economy, as more people’s incomes drop to levels at which they qualify for aid.

I guess all I can say is I am glad my grandparents are dead, and nobody in my extended family is in need. I cannot think about those who will be affected. My government refuses to - so I can't.

I do hope everybody sees the disconnect between "this is a Christian nation" and "we are done feeding the hungry."

Nearly 1 Million Vets Face Food Stamps Cut | Military.com

About 900,000 veterans and 5,000 active duty troops face cuts in their food stamp benefits beginning Thursday as $5 billion is automatically trimmed from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program for low-income families.

"The coming benefit cut will reduce SNAP benefits, which are already modest, for all households by 7 percent on average, or about $10 per person per month," according to an analysis by the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities.

"Nationwide, in any given month, a total of 900,000 veterans nationwide lived in households that relied on SNAP to provide food for their families in 2011," according to an analysis of census data, the Center's report said.

Anybody else wondering why corporate welfare is good, but helping our fellow Americans is bad?

Soldiers are not paid enough to even feed their families. How fucking tragic is that? And yet, the only budget item this regime consistently cuts is the military budget. Go figure...

Speaking of foodbanks and churches. Here in my neck of the woods, there are a few churches that give out food on a weekly basis. I never go, but the roomie does, and so does the inlaws. They have to draw a ticket with a number on it, then wait. Some people get there hours early, write their name on the bag, leave the bag in the line, go somewhere, then come back and get in the line where their bag is. First ones in the door get the pick of the food, so those WAYYY back there? They are shit out of luck. And, what is worse, the food being given is dated 2011 and some 2012. Nothing is 2013 expiration. And the meat, if any is there? Rotten. Stinks. I told the roomie to stop bringing her meat home...if she wants meat, I will share some of mine. And the canned food? Watch for bulging cans..of which there were quite a few. I say shame on the church for handing out poison.

Typical ungrateful liberal.

It's free, but not good enough. You make me want to puke.

And why am I not surprised that everybody you know is on the dole? Get a fucking job.

What a pompous ass Penn Gillette is.. beating up strawmen seems to be his forte.

NOBODY thinks its "compassion" to vote for a government that helps its CITIZENS.

Its enlightened SELF INTEREST to see to it that everybody in your nation is doing as well as possible.

That DOES seem to be the one thing most of our resident libertarians cannot quite fathom: the whole POINT of government is to help citizens because when you neighbors do well, so do YOU.

How is it enlightened to compel charity by force of law?

I know for a fact that church food banks in this area do not accept food that is outdated for liability reasons. But I myself have outdated food on my shelf and I use it. It does not turn to poison on the day it expires. Try again. That was an epic fail.

"Soldiers are not paid enough to even feed their families. How fucking tragic is that? And yet, the only budget item this regime consistently cuts is the military budget. Go figure... "

A lot of women in this area clip coupons for the soldiers. I am told the PX and the commissary will accept them even if they are expired by 3 months. (I don't do this. I don't even do it for myself.)

Well..we were zapped today. Took 20 bucks off our allotment of food stamps. 10 bucks each. It won't hurt too badly....I think. Some is better than none, so I am thankful for what they do give us to help us out.

Only shop the outside of the store. You will end up fuller, you will spend less money, and youwill be fitter. I dropped 11 pounds after I started doing this.

Or why big business welfare is untouchable.

Yeah. That.

And when they're told they don't have enough on their card, they tell them to take the healthiest stuff back. :mad:

The purpose of food stamps is to support Big Agriculture's over-production of Corn, Wheat and Sugar.

The two walk hand in hand.

Pols know which side their bread is buttered on. Big Ag pays for and owns most pols, who in turn feel no compunction buying the votes of unfortunates.

Or why big business welfare is untouchable.

Yeah. That.

It used to be the only way people could live in this country was to have a job. The laws of the US support commerce which in turn supplies jobs. Personally, I would rather have worked and gotten the paycheck from a company that got tax breaks than to take welfare and food stamps paid for by the taxpayers. I was raised in the day when it was more honorable to work.

Forum List

Back