🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

G O P Lawmakers Continue To Stoke Ebola Fears

Luddly, your infection rate piece talks about vaccination rates to control the spread. What Ebola vaccine?

n-RAND-PAUL-large570.jpg

With fears running high after the first case of Ebola was diagnosed in the U.S., Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) are doing their part to keep Americans scared. Both lawmakers said this week that the 3,000 troops President Barack Obama is sending to West Africa to fight the virus will return infected and spread Ebola at home.

"You also have to be concerned about 3,000 soldiers getting back on a ship," Paul said in a Wednesday interview with radio host Laura Ingraham. "Where is disease most transmittable? When you're in a very close confines on a ship -- we all know about cruises and how they get these diarrhea viruses that are transmitted very easily. Can you imagine if a whole ship full of our soldiers catch Ebola?"

“I think because of political correctness we’re not really making sound, rational, scientific decisions on this," he added.

Paul, who is a likely contender for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, went on to say that the Obama administration had downplayed the risk of sending U.S. military personnel to Ebola-infected areas.

Gohmert echoed some of Paul's sentiments on Thursday, telling Lou Dobbs of Fox News that political correctness was behind Obama's decision to dispatch "3,000 military into where they can get Ebola that they can bring back."

"The military is not trained to go catch Ebola and die. They're trained to go in and kill the people that want to come back and kill us," Gohmert said. "The president’s priorities are all mixed up here. All you got to do is shut down traffic in and out of places where there’s high risk of Ebola.”

Few members of Congress voiced any disagreement in mid-September when the White House first announced plans to send troops to combat the Ebola virus. Even Republican leaders like House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) endorsed the decision, offering rare praise for the president.

"What the administration's doing is correct," McConnell said at the time.

More: GOP Lawmakers Continue To Stoke Ebola Fears

Once again, Republicans try to politicize a crisis and twist it for partisan gain.

Here's a question I just have to ask: What kind of moron would not be afraid of Ebola?

I'm not the slightest bit afraid of Ebola.

The odds of me catching ebola are about equal to the odds of me getting struck by lightening. There are a thousand other things more likely to kill me than ebola, and I'm not scared of most of them, either.

If you want to live in fear, I won't try to stop you. But you shouldn't expect everyone to dive under their beds with you.

So how is stopping airline traffic from ebola hot spots in Africa to the US going to affect you personally?
Better safe than sorry as they say/

It wouldn't affect me at all.

But no - it's not better to be "safe" when it means throwing away liberties for temporary safety. If you want to buy into the "it's for your own good" garbage.

We won't be throwing any of my liberties away. Africans have no right to travel to the United States.

Can someone please tell me why I shouldn't fear a virus that KILLS 50% of its victims? You do know it could mutate.
There has never been a recorded incident of a virus mutating from bodily fluid borne to airborne. According to the experts it is not even worth mentioning.

Republicans act like Obama can just pull up the drawbridge and the scariness can just stay in the nation of Africa.
Stupid he most certainly can close access to flights from countries that have the infection.
Getting here from Africa usually requires multiple stops and plane changes in various other countries. The Texas case took four flights to get here, we do not have any system in place to track the international movement of every human on earth.

Don't be stupid. Any non U.S. citizen coming from Africa has to have a visa. We know precisely where everyone entering the U.S. by plane comes from.

Can someone please tell me why I shouldn't fear a virus that KILLS 50% of its victims? You do know it could mutate.
There has never been a recorded incident of a virus mutating from bodily fluid borne to airborne. According to the experts it is not even worth mentioning.

I think that dead wrong. Toward the end of it's swath of death and destruction, the Black Plague became airborn.

Republicans act like Obama can just pull up the drawbridge and the scariness can just stay in the nation of Africa.
Stupid he most certainly can close access to flights from countries that have the infection.
Getting here from Africa usually requires multiple stops and plane changes in various other countries. The Texas case took four flights to get here, we do not have any system in place to track the international movement of every human on earth.
It doesn't matter how many flights it takes you need a passport to take an international flight and the airlines know where you are going. Try to defend odumbass on this.

It doesn't matter how many flights it takes you need a passport to take an international flight and the airlines know where you are going. Try to defend odumbass on this.

Passports get counterfeited all the time.

Here's a question I just have to ask: What kind of moron would not be afraid of Ebola?

The odds of me catching ebola are about equal to the odds of me getting struck by lightening. There are a thousand other things more likely to kill me than ebola, and I'm not scared of most of them, either.

If you want to live in fear, I won't try to stop you. But you shouldn't expect everyone to dive under their beds with you.

So how is stopping airline traffic from ebola hot spots in Africa to the US going to affect you personally?

But no - it's not better to be "safe" when it means throwing away liberties for temporary safety. If you want to buy into the "it's for your own good" garbage.

You are being wholly complacent.

During the influenza outbreak in the 1800's, many people paid for their complacency by dying from a now completely curable disease. Same thing with the Cholera outbreak. In the 1940's our complacency with the Japanese cost us the lives of thousands of sailors in Pearl Harbor. Our melancholy approach to national security in the 1990's led to the 9/11 attacks. You fail to understand, we desire permanent safety, from a disease that will kill us if left unchecked.

Do you really trust this government with that task? They can't even manage a budget, let alone quell an epidemic. Your faith in governemt ultimately misplaced, Doc. You don't have the right to deny us the task of preserving our own well being. Do you want those Ebola patients roaming the streets, contaminating everything they touch? I am encountering a lot of disturbing people and opinions tonight, yours is but one more.

There are so many problems with this post, it's hard to figure out where to start.

First of all, as much as you may desire it, "permanent safety" doesn't exist - and the search for it has lead to the worst atrocities of the modern era. Listen to some Nazi propaganda, and you'll hear a lot of phrases like "permanent safety".

Second, that "completely curable disease" you mentioned in your post kills a hundred times more people every year than ebola has in all of recorded history.

Third, I don't believe that I've mentioned "the government" at all in this thread, as entertaining as your fantasies of what you think I might have said may be.

Fourth, what is it exactly that you think I'm "denying you" of?

There are always things to be afraid of. Fear sells. There's an entire industry that feeds purely off fear. But fear can be incredibly dangerous. See recorded history for a thousand examples of how people have manipulated fear to commit the worst crimes against humanity.

I guess the planes starting point get's counterfeited also you stupid fucking bitch.

I guess the planes starting point get's counterfeited also you stupid fucking bitch.

Yes, it can be. Terrorists have plenty of connections to take other modes of transportation to major airports to disguise their origin.

This thing is really nothing to be pissing yourself over but if you like sitting in piss that's your business. In the history of pandemics closing borders has been tried over and over again and it just does not work. Disease respects no national boundaries and no amount of security is enough to stop it. What will stop it is to do the best we can until it runs it's course and to stay calm because in this case over-reacting can easily cause more chaos than the disease alone.

n-RAND-PAUL-large570.jpg

With fears running high after the first case of Ebola was diagnosed in the U.S., Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) are doing their part to keep Americans scared. Both lawmakers said this week that the 3,000 troops President Barack Obama is sending to West Africa to fight the virus will return infected and spread Ebola at home.

"You also have to be concerned about 3,000 soldiers getting back on a ship," Paul said in a Wednesday interview with radio host Laura Ingraham. "Where is disease most transmittable? When you're in a very close confines on a ship -- we all know about cruises and how they get these diarrhea viruses that are transmitted very easily. Can you imagine if a whole ship full of our soldiers catch Ebola?"

“I think because of political correctness we’re not really making sound, rational, scientific decisions on this," he added.

Paul, who is a likely contender for the Republican presidential nomination in 2016, went on to say that the Obama administration had downplayed the risk of sending U.S. military personnel to Ebola-infected areas.

Gohmert echoed some of Paul's sentiments on Thursday, telling Lou Dobbs of Fox News that political correctness was behind Obama's decision to dispatch "3,000 military into where they can get Ebola that they can bring back."

"The military is not trained to go catch Ebola and die. They're trained to go in and kill the people that want to come back and kill us," Gohmert said. "The president’s priorities are all mixed up here. All you got to do is shut down traffic in and out of places where there’s high risk of Ebola.”

Few members of Congress voiced any disagreement in mid-September when the White House first announced plans to send troops to combat the Ebola virus. Even Republican leaders like House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) endorsed the decision, offering rare praise for the president.

Once again, Republicans try to politicize a crisis and twist it for partisan gain.

This may be a first

I agree, Ebola should not be much of a concern, see, it's extremely hard to catch, just like HIV

Oh crap. On second thought

Lakota's an idiot

G O P Lawmakers Continue To Stoke Ebola Fears

And they try to keep millions of Americans from health care at the same time. That means contagious people could infect many until they are so sick they go to the emergency room. Maybe that's part of the GOP plan. We know from their policies they must hate this country. They've done more damage than al Qaeda.

Perhaps you'll die soon?
Wow, bringing up the GOP healthcare plan.

n-RAND-PAUL-large570.jpg

What fears? It will kill far more LIBTARDS than real Americans...not a bad thing.

Wow, a Republican who thinks Americans dying is a "GOOD" thing. Course, that's not really new.

n-RAND-PAUL-large570.jpg

Ok than you agree we should get rid of TSA screening at the airports too since it means throwing away liberties for temporary safety.

I'm no fan of the TSA, I think they're incompetent and useless.

Sierra Leone Quarantines 2 Million to Fight Ebola - ABC News

They have put 2 million under Quarantines in order to stop the spread of it there. Making a tough call to try and get rid of the spreading infection. These are drastic measures being taken infected countries to contain the spread of it.

My major beef with the current situation is not just with our current administration but the world by not attempting to stop all travel from these countries until it is contained. Allowing people to go in there and then jump on plane and leave without at least getting checked is IDIOTIC.

Spare me the PC garbage that it can't be done. It would be difficult but not impossible, and the world leaders should have already got together to implement measures like this to contain. this deadly disease. It is common sense.............

Canadian Study Shows Airborne Transmission of Ebola

This is a 2012 article in which Canadian researchers have proven air born spread. The CDC has admitted it as LIMITED Air Born threats. But in this study it happened, and if it mutates to more than limited air born spread there will be hell because of the same.

We should have already banned travel there, and refused entry to anyone with a passport who traveled through there. UNLESS we use the EBOLA test kits to verify they don't have the disease.

Forum List

Back