General on Benghazi : The point is we should have tried.

The army has these things called "parachutes." They worked great during WW II when you needed to get troops into a location without a place to land. They can even deliver armored vehicles via parachute.

See what happens when military ignoramuses pontificate about the military?

OK ....now we are starting to see shreds of a rightwing rescue plan

Now, rather than land safely and secured at an airport, we have SEALS parachute into an urban area. Airborne assaults also take time to plan and coordinate. Tough to do when you have to be in the air in less than an hour
If you look at WWII, many paratrooper assaults were disasters and they had time to plan the assault

OK rightwingers....as long as we are Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Give me your rescue plan. It is so easy to mount a rescue. What should Hillary have done?

Not to mention the fact that you're going to have to drop supplies and materials into this crowed urban area.

"Honey, I told you not to park any more armored personnel vehicles on the roof. Now look what you've done."
Hard to believe this is the same corp that was able to get into what passes for an organized country in the Muslim world and kill bin Laden. If they have become the pussies you and RW seem to think, then maybe would should have asked the Israelis to do it. Anyway, we should have done something, but alas, we did not.

Hillary at the helm, because after all, she knows about the military, foreign countries and their leaders:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_z9Tpdl9A]Hillary Clinton 3 AM Campaign Ad - YouTube[/ame]

Remember her dodging bullets in what used to be Yugoslavia? :badgrin:

OK ....now we are starting to see shreds of a rightwing rescue plan

Now, rather than land safely and secured at an airport, we have SEALS parachute into an urban area. Airborne assaults also take time to plan and coordinate. Tough to do when you have to be in the air in less than an hour
If you look at WWII, many paratrooper assaults were disasters and they had time to plan the assault

OK rightwingers....as long as we are Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Give me your rescue plan. It is so easy to mount a rescue. What should Hillary have done?

Not to mention the fact that you're going to have to drop supplies and materials into this crowed urban area.

"Honey, I told you not to park any more armored personnel vehicles on the roof. Now look what you've done."
Hard to believe this is the same corp that was able to get into what passes for an organized country in the Muslim world and kill bin Laden. If they have become the pussies you and RW seem to think, then maybe would should have asked the Israelis to do it. Anyway, we should have done something, but alas, we did not.

Hillary at the helm, because after all, she knows about the military, foreign countries and their leaders:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_z9Tpdl9A]Hillary Clinton 3 AM Campaign Ad - YouTube[/ame]

Remember her dodging bullets in what used to be Yugoslavia? :badgrin:

relax man, I said before (in case you missed it) that I think we should have at least been moving some stuff in that direction. I was just pointing out how silly the idea that was floated out was.

Funny you should mention the Bin Laden mission, because that's the type of thing I think we should have been putting into action. Without the necessary stuff close by, it would have taken some time to get the pieces in place and the whole thing would have probably been over long before we were close to actually doing it. But I still think we should have been moving in that direction.

But imho the biggest mistake this administration made was the cover story.

that's nice

someone who wasn't there has an opinion.

you know what they say about opinions, right?

what did the general think of baby bush's 13 benghazzis?

This only displays your ignorance of how military commands work. He was actually ‘there’ as far as command structure and the decision process goes. AFRICOM is located in Germany.

ABOUT THE COMMAND | United States Africa Command

This and more this.

The real travesty here is the fact that the government abused its power to change and muttle the facts in order to help the presidential campaign. The cover story was utterly unwarranted to boot. People die, it sucks but it is a reality in these foreign nations where we are not well liked. The response was garbage BUT I think that people would be far more accepting if the people in charged simply stated so and that they fucked things up. Knowingly lying is a whole different ballgame though.

This would also be over by now had they stepped up to the plate – there wouldn’t be anything to investigate.

He was actually ‘there’ as far as command structure and the decision process goes. AFRICOM is located in Germany.

I thought Benghazi was in Libya?

(it's a joke)

Last edited:

This and more this.

The real travesty here is the fact that the government abused its power to change and muttle the facts in order to help the presidential campaign. The cover story was utterly unwarranted to boot. People die, it sucks but it is a reality in these foreign nations where we are not well liked. The response was garbage BUT I think that people would be far more accepting if the people in charged simply stated so and that they fucked things up. Knowingly lying is a whole different ballgame though.

This would also be over by now had they stepped up to the plate – there wouldn’t be anything to investigate.

I'm not sure the administration made mistakes during the event - I'm certain they made mistakes with the BS cover up. It reminds me so much of Pat Tilman and how that administration lied like crazy to cover up the truth.

It just pisses me off.

This and more this.

I'm not sure the administration made mistakes during the event - I'm certain they made mistakes with the BS cover up. It reminds me so much of Pat Tilman and how that administration lied like crazy to cover up the truth.

It just pisses me off.
The clear mistake to me was not sending in some sort of backup or rescue – even if there was not time or it would have accomplished nothing. As the general stated – we should have at least tried. That is a clear mistake in my mind.

Admitting that (even if nothing would have come about from it) would have gone a long way to making this entire story simply vanish and the republicans holding the bag when they complained. At that point we can look at the graph in this thread pointing out all the dead ambassadors on Bush’s watch. But they didn’t and admit nothing – even to this day. It makes the entire thing stink to high heaven and is infuriating as you point out. Political games with the truth should be unacceptable to the entire electorate – not just the ones that are not currently in power at that moment.

This and more this.

It just pisses me off.
The clear mistake to me was not sending in some sort of backup or rescue – even if there was not time or it would have accomplished nothing. As the general stated – we should have at least tried. That is a clear mistake in my mind.

Admitting that (even if nothing would have come about from it) would have gone a long way to making this entire story simply vanish and the republicans holding the bag when they complained. At that point we can look at the graph in this thread pointing out all the dead ambassadors on Bush’s watch. But they didn’t and admit nothing – even to this day. It makes the entire thing stink to high heaven and is infuriating as you point out. Political games with the truth should be unacceptable to the entire electorate – not just the ones that are not currently in power at that moment.
Did you catch the General say this?

CONNELLY: I want to read to you the conclusion of the chairman of the [Armed Services] Committee, the Republican chairman Buck McKeon, who conducted formal briefings and oversaw that report he said quote "I'm pretty well satisfied that given where the troops were, how quickly the thing all happened, and how quickly it dissipated we probably couldn't have done much more than we did." Do you take issue with the chairman of the Armed Services Committee? In that conclusion?

LOVELL: His conclusion that he couldn't have done much more than they did with the capability and the way they executed it?

CONNELLY: Given the timeframe.

LOVELL: That's a fact.

CONNELLY: Okay.

LOVELL: The way it is right now. The way he stated it.

CONNELLY: Alright, because I'm sure you can appreciate, general, there might be some who, for various and sundry reasons would like to distort your testimony and suggest that you're testifying that we could have, should have done a lot more than we did because we had capabilities we simply didn't utilize. That is not your testimony?

LOVELL: That is not my testimony.

CONNELLY: I thank you very much, general.

Forum List

Back