GOP Senator Susan Collins Throws Support Behind Law Protecting Same-Sex Marriage

I have been hearing that shit for years and i would just laugh and laugh.
Not anymore. They are going to come after the kids.
They.
Already.
Are.
I'm still laughing at you fools.

Gays are no more pedophiles than heterosexuals are.

Stop perpetuating the myth.

Here's an idea ...

... how about removing any laws that legislate marriage which, after all, is a strictly personal arrangement, and has nothing to do with The State.

Or....rather than invalidate EVERY marriage to prevent gays and lesbians from being allowed to marry, we just maintain the rights to marriage they already have.

It has the advantage of both preserving the union of marriage AND requiring us to do nothing.

Either works. Marriage is a contract. The State should only regulate it to the extent it regulates any contract.

Either does work. But one is WAY harder than the other. As you'd have to invalidate EVERY marriage in the country, on a national level. All to keep gays and lesbians from marrying.

Or you can do absolutely nothing, invalidate not a single marriage....and it works just as well. Better even, as we explicit precedent for marriage law. For this 'no marriage/marriage' we'd need new precedent.

I vote for NOT invalidating every marriage just to keep gays and lesbians from marrying. It simpler and less petulant.

Or....rather than invalidate EVERY marriage to prevent gays and lesbians from being allowed to marry, we just maintain the rights to marriage they already have.

It's not a matter of invalidating ANY marriage. It's asking the question, "Why does the state have the power to legislate personal relationships?".

Here's an idea ...

... how about removing any laws that legislate marriage which, after all, is a strictly personal arrangement, and has nothing to do with The State.
I've been saying for years that the heteros demanded a thousand forms of cash and prizes from the government for being married. Now they are pissed the gays are asking for the exact same cash and prizes.

If the heteros had not insisted on government involvement in marriage, gay marriage would not even be an issue.

This has nothing to do with religion, though the bigots like to say it does. It's all about government cash and prizes.

They make the exact same arguments they made against interracial marriage. Wielding the Bible as a weapon of hate.

Same bullshit, different decade.

It's not a matter of invalidating ANY marriage. It's asking the question, "Why does the state have the power to legislate personal relationships?".

Preventing gays from marrying is entirely the point of invalidating every marriage.

Doing nothing resolves the issue just as cleanly, but without invalidating any marriage. And with zero effort.

"If we have to let you have it, NO ONE can have it" is a bit petulant, don't you think? We can do better. And we did.

I've been saying for years that the heteros demanded a thousand forms of cash and prizes from the government for being married. Now they are pissed the gays are asking for the exact same cash and prizes.

If the heteros had not insisted on government involvement in marriage, gay marriage would not even be an issue.

This has nothing to do with religion, though the bigots like to say it does. It's all about government cash and prizes.

They make the exact same arguments they made against interracial marriage. Wielding the Bible as a weapon of hate.

Same bullshit, different decade.

Yup. Read the ruling that Loving v. Virginia overturned. It was laden with religious language and divine justification.

All to prevent interracial marriage.

Who is saying that?

Those insisting that we should invalidate every marriage rather than allowing gays and lesbians to marry.

No. We're not doing that. Its overly complicated and needlessly petulant.

It is encouraging to see bipartisan legislation that is positive for the people. Especially when the elected official has to go against so many in her party.
How exactly is a homo society “positive for the people”? What about all that pesky data that gets in the way of the FEELZ based position some take?
EB1BA779-52FD-4381-A6CC-12955EB3BB7C.jpeg

Preventing gays from marrying is entirely the point of invalidating every marriage.

Doing nothing resolves the issue just as cleanly, but without invalidating any marriage. And with zero effort.

"If we have to let you have it, NO ONE can have it" is a bit petulant, don't you think? We can do better. And we did.
I would much prefer government involvement in marriage be reduced.

No tax breaks for being married or for spawning, for example.

It's not like people will stop spawning without a government incentive.

I would much prefer government involvement in marriage be reduced.

No tax breaks for being married or for spawning, for example.

It's not like people will stop spawning without a government incentive.

I'm all for making it easier for folks to raise a family.

Yup. Read the ruling that Loving v. Virginia overturned. It was laden with religious language and divine justification.

All to prevent interracial marriage.
And the baseline question the Supremes asked the bigots was, "In what way is interracial marriage harmful to society?"

Words to that effect.

The same question applies to gay marriage.

And all the bigots have been able to come up with is, "The children! The children! Pedophiles!"

Sad.

Forum List

Back