Got my new heater installed, just in time for the major global warming coming!

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I decided to go ahead and get a heater to help keep the house warm when it gets really cold like it's gonna get! Also, this is an old house and the central heat unit is not so efficient. When it gets cold out and we run the heater a lot the electric bill goes through the roof! So I went out and bought a 20,0000 BTU heater and connected it all up and so far so good. It's 32 degrees here now and gonna drop more, and so far it's keeping the place warm without the main heater running.

657888170044.jpg

200 bucks at Lowes. The hardest part of it was finding a fitting to connect it to my gas line, as it didn't come with one. PITA. I'll know in a month or so if the light bill is lower.

This is run on natural gas? It should bring down the electric bill, since electric heat is a big part of that expense.........but now your gas bill will skyrocket. So it evens out in the end, depending on the going rate in your area.

Just don't burn down the house in the process......or let it explode. Keep an eye on the pilot light when it's 'off'.

I use space heaters over the central heat and air, saves two hundred a month in the winter..

Rather than running the heat in the garage I use one of these....
upload_2017-12-30_11-19-31.png

It keeps the two car portion of the garage nice and toasty with no risk of fire or carbon dioxide.

This is run on natural gas? It should bring down the electric bill, since electric heat is a big part of that expense.........but now your gas bill will skyrocket. So it evens out in the end, depending on the going rate in your area.

Just don't burn down the house in the process......or let it explode. Keep an eye on the pilot light when it's 'off'.
Yes it runs on natural gas. And we don't have electric heat we have natural gas heat but the blower part that pushes the heated air out sucks electricity really bad!

I've been planning for a shop heater when I build my garage. It uses a 60 gallon water heater welded to a fire place (wood burning stove) that allows me to pump heated antifreeze coolant through floor tubing. Set it up with a thermostat to turn on a cycling pump after the main tank reached 150 degrees. I built one for a friend last year and his shop stays toasty warm for hours after the fire burns out due to the floor being well insulated and the mass of concrete that is warmed to about 60-80 deg.

Upgrade your insulation and weatherstripping. I put in drywall cutouts into my window frames, and now I set my thermostat about 3 degrees cooler.

From experience, I've seen the most powerful, efficient way to warm a house in cold winter weather is a cast-iron wood stove. With a few chunks of wood, they work almost too tell and get the house warmer than needed. No other form of house-heating can even touch a wood stove in its sheer heat-power. And it's probably massively cheaper than gas or electric heating.

Do you realize if you splurged and got a whole new system how quickly it would pay for itself?

Yes it runs on natural gas. And we don't have electric heat we have natural gas heat but the blower part that pushes the heated air out sucks electricity really bad!

Do you realize if you splurged and got a whole new system how quickly it would pay for itself?

Maybe, maybe not.

My husband is in the industry. You really would be amazed at the savings.

Maybe, maybe not.

Huh. For some reason this heater never runs out of gas like my propane heater always used to! ;)

Forum List

Back