Group to fly Confederate flag; NAACP opposes

I have a question which I somewhat hesitated to ask you in the previous thread. You were telling about your life story ( in general) and that you had to always overcome it against the evil white man - what exactly does that mean? Unless you are 70 or 60 years old what kind of discrimination could you have encountered specifically due to being AA? Affirmative Action has been around since 60s so it is not institutional racism, obviously.
Personal interaction with people always involve some kind of discrimination - even in a land where everybody is white - because people have their own prejudices - against redheads, against those who limp, against those who live in the upper part of the town and so on. Everybody in their lifetime has encountered discrimination. It is unavoidable, it is part of life and the sooner one gets over hurt feelings - the better.
At least that is how I always was taught and experienced.

I was explaining how I learned not to let hate hold me back and give me an excuse to end up in jail or at some minimum wage job. I had a white cop put a gun to my head at the age of 9 and threaten to shoot me while he liberally applied the N word to our conversation. All I was doing was walking home from the playground. I was stopped and searched almost weekly by the cops for no reason as a teenager. Stuff like that. I thought it was all a scheme to keep me down.

Without getting too specific, where did this happen?

Oakland CA

I was explaining how I learned not to let hate hold me back and give me an excuse to end up in jail or at some minimum wage job. I had a white cop put a gun to my head at the age of 9 and threaten to shoot me while he liberally applied the N word to our conversation. All I was doing was walking home from the playground. I was stopped and searched almost weekly by the cops for no reason as a teenager. Stuff like that. I thought it was all a scheme to keep me down.

I am glad it did not.

well, stuff like that can get you pissed off for the rest of your life.

I am glad it did not.

Staying PO'd is not a good thing. Tends to make you lose focus on what you should be doing. Gotta go work out.

Rebel_Flag.jpg

I wish Republicans would just go ahead and fly this flag during their conventions. It was say so much about what they stand for.

Assimilated Press: KKK Disbands Claiming GOP Has Co-opted All Of Their Ideas

black panteres - Bing Videos

Yeah. If a bunch of inbred, gap-toothed, third grade educated, welfare trailer park redneck hicks want to advertise their ignorance to the world, that's their right.

Do you paint all southerners with the same brush?

Maybe you think it's ignorant, but what is really dumb is assuming that the flag celebrates racism. There are other meanings to that flag and I don't get why some only view it within a narrow scope because it flew during the days of slavery. Our entire country is responsible for that, not just one area. And the flag was not created as a symbol of that. Should we do away with the American flag as well? I realize some do want that.

Some continually bring up slavery and other things in the past. That's fine because we should always remember things to prevent them from happening again. (Well, except for 9/11 apparently) Flying the Confederate flag has other meaning, which is largely ignored while the negative is always the focus, but they should fly it to recognize the transformation of this country over the decades.

Did Obama's choice of red and black on his bus and the posters that are reminiscent of communism mean we can call him a Hitler wannabe? After all, those colors and design have a meaning, too, and it's no different than the Confederate flag. In fact, it's far worse yet Obama chose the colors and design for his campaign.

I don't understand why one is okay and the other not.

Funny that you throw out a bunch of insults, which are stereotypical remarks. Calling southerners gap-toothed, third grade educated welfare trailer park redneck hicks is as bad as calling Muslims murderous American-hating, women-bashing, suicide bomber wannabe rag heads. The latter is probably deemed hate speech while the rednecks remain fair game.

I'm sure the Dems don't want any reminders of how they fought against freeing the slaves, but it's all part of history. So, fly the flag and remember the good, the bad and the ugly.

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memor ial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

The state’s chapter of the NAACP is vocally opposing the move.
Confederate flag will fly along I-95 - Richmond Times-Dispatch: City Of Richmond
Of course they do.
But... so what?
Do they expect someone, like the state, to stop them?

Having the right to free speech means that, sometimes, people are going to say things you don't like. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.

And the NAACP also has a right of free speech to oppose it.

To the Virginia flaggers it is a symbol of the fight of the confederacy
To the NAACP it is a symbol of slavery and the KKK

Last edited:
Freedom of speech and expression applies to everyone even those you disagree with if someone can't handle that then they really don't respect or want true freedom of speech.

Yes it applies to everyone. Nobody is being prosecuted because of that flag. That is what the first amendment freedom of speech gives you

It does not mean that others cannot be offended by what you say or openly object to your saying it

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memor ial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

The state’s chapter of the NAACP is vocally opposing the move.
Confederate flag will fly along I-95 - Richmond Times-Dispatch: City Of Richmond
Of course they do.
But... so what?

Having the right to free speech means that, sometimes, people are going to say things you don't like. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.

" that's just how white folks will do ya'"

" typical white person'

Baarck Obama and Eric Holder, symbols of racism against white people

Freedom of speech and expression applies to everyone even those you disagree with if someone can't handle that then they really don't respect or want true freedom of speech.

Yes it applies to everyone. Nobody is being prosecuted because of that flag. That is what the first amendment freedom of speech gives you

It does not mean that others cannot be offended by what you say or openly object to your saying it

OTOH

no one is being PERSECUTED b/c of the flag

I am glad it did not.

Staying PO'd is not a good thing. Tends to make you lose focus on what you should be doing. Gotta go work out.

true. but it can explain the often mentioned phenomena of 'angry black men".

Last edited:
Of course they do.
But... so what?

" that's just how white folks will do ya'"

" typical white person'

Baarck Obama and Eric Holder, symbols of racism against white people

Wow....really shocking
Why don't you and your white friends go out and protest that?

Never said they couldn't.

The Confederacy existed for about four years. The flag that flew during the other two hundred years of slavery and off the stern of slave ships was the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes. Does the NAACP want to ban them too?

No... shot for promoting treason and slavery.

I sincerely doubt any of the people who fly the flag today want slavery to return. As for the claim of treason, I for one feel that any state wishing to secede should have that right.
In any case, I don't believe anyone should be shot for flying a flag, sounds pretty over the top draconian to me.
What would you do to someone who shoplifts, cut off their hand ?

If you doubt that you don't get out much. i for one feel you are wrong about any state leaving the Union. I concede I may have been over the top but I'm not going to sit there and pretend the people wanting to fly this flag are just remembering their relatives.

So you think that anyone, or the states that still fly some form or resemblance of the confederate flag today are in favor of slavery ?

Without getting too specific, where did this happen?

Oakland CA

That's a long way from the South.

The Confederacy existed for about four years. The flag that flew during the other two hundred years of slavery and off the stern of slave ships was the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes. Does the NAACP want to ban them too?

Which flag did the KKK march under?

The battle flag was turned into a flag of black oppression after the war. It was flown as a not too subtle reminder to remember your place

Which flag did the KKK march under?

The battle flag was turned into a flag of black oppression after the war. It was flown as a not too subtle reminder to remember your place

during the Reconstruction?

Forum List

Back