Gun owner stops violent beating....at store where anti gunners have tried to ban guns...

Don't forget also, that your cellphone camera is a very important tool you can use to help thwart crime. Its a good first line of defence before you reach for a gun.

I agree....but a cell phone and a gun is better than just a cell phone.......it is harder to stop an attack with a cell phone...unless you are really, really good.......

A cell phone doesn't accidently shoot an innocent person. Or purposely shoot the wrong person. Many of your defenses go bad...

Correct, it is a good FIRST LINE of defense and it is often enough, but if people stand up to crime with an armed response, criminals will start to think twice about attacking "vulnerable" citizens.

Exactly....for example...here in Chicago this week we had an Uber driver stop a mass shooting because he had a concealed carry permit and gun.....a while back another concealed carrier stopped a mass shooting at a party.....according to some people...it takes about 5% of the people to carry guns in order to reduce your crime levels....and there have to be publicly known incidents of people using their guns to stop crime....to get the word out to criminals......so we are starting to get there.......but the gang culture in Chicago is really strong.....so random crime will be stopped but organized gang violence may not be easy to stop....

I've still heard nothing about who the victims were in the uber case. Pretty sure it was one gang member shooting at others. Also I'd still like to know how the bad guy managed to miss shooting into a crowd. There is much more to this story.

Don't forget also, that your cellphone camera is a very important tool you can use to help thwart crime. Its a good first line of defence before you reach for a gun.

I agree....but a cell phone and a gun is better than just a cell phone.......it is harder to stop an attack with a cell phone...unless you are really, really good.......

A cell phone doesn't accidently shoot an innocent person. Or purposely shoot the wrong person. Many of your defenses go bad...

Correct, it is a good FIRST LINE of defense and it is often enough, but if people stand up to crime with an armed response, criminals will start to think twice about attacking "vulnerable" citizens.

I know that sounds nice in theory but we already have the most guns in the world and low gun control. Most people picking on the vulnerable don't do it when there is help at hand. I have not seven evidence that more guns lowers crime. If it did we would have the lowest crime rates in the world.

Oh, it absolutely does prevent crime. The question is wether it is worth the risk of people using them for nefarious purposes. That's why I feel gun ownership is not for everyone. Some people should not even own sharp instruments.

Exactly....for example...here in Chicago this week we had an Uber driver stop a mass shooting because he had a concealed carry permit and gun.....a while back another concealed carrier stopped a mass shooting at a party.....according to some people...it takes about 5% of the people to carry guns in order to reduce your crime levels....and there have to be publicly known incidents of people using their guns to stop crime....to get the word out to criminals......so we are starting to get there.......but the gang culture in Chicago is really strong.....so random crime will be stopped but organized gang violence may not be easy to stop....

I've still heard nothing about who the victims were in the uber case. Pretty sure it was one gang member shooting at others. Also I'd still like to know how the bad guy managed to miss shooting into a crowd. There is much more to this story.

I don't know either, Brian, but I Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

I know that sounds nice in theory but we already have the most guns in the world and low gun control. Most people picking on the vulnerable don't do it when there is help at hand. I have not seven evidence that more guns lowers crime. If it did we would have the lowest crime rates in the world.

Oh, it absolutely does prevent crime. The question is wether it is worth the risk of people using them for nefarious purposes. That's why I feel gun ownership is not for everyone. Some people should not even own sharp instruments.

But does it lower crime rates? Certainly crimes have been stopped by armed defenders. But gun ownership does not effect the number of criminals. Countries with far fewer guns have much lower crime rates than us. Guns are not a factor in crime rates.

But does it lower crime rates? Certainly crimes have been stopped by armed defenders. But gun ownership does not effect the number of criminals. Countries with far fewer guns have much lower crime rates than us. Guns are not a factor in crime rates.

There are studies that show the violent crime rate does go down with more gun ownership.....and the most important point.....increasing gun ownership does not increase the crime rate....that is a fact....since more Americans have been buying, and carrying guns and our violent crime rate, specifically gun murder, is going down, not up.....

And at it's most basic level....victim to criminal....guns do effect that particular crime.........

And countries like Britain....have no guns...and twice our violent crime rate.....dittos Russia....

Japan....has no guns and very little crime over all...why....they are essentially a police state...the police have vast powers Americans would never tolerate.......

Last edited:
Mad Cabbie...can I call you Cabbie? Brain...here is some light reading on the subject of guns and lower crime rates.....

Do Right-to-carry laws reduce violent crime - Crime Prevention Research Center

A 2012 survey of the literature is available here. Some of the research showing that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime is listed here.

Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by John R. Lott, Jr. and David B. Mustard, Journal of Legal Studies, 1997

The Effect of Concealed Weapons Laws: An Extreme Bound Analysis by William Alan Bartley and Mark A Cohen, published in Economic Inquiry, April 1998 (Copy available here)

Criminal Deterrence, Geographic Spillovers, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by Stephen Bronars and John R. Lott, Jr., American Economic Review, May 1998

The Impact of Gun Laws on Police Deaths by David Mustard, published in the Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Privately Produced General Deterrence By BRUCE L. BENSON AND BRENT D. MAST, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Does the Right to Carry Concealed Handguns Deter Countable Crimes? Only a Count Analysis Can Say By FLORENZ PLASSMANN AND T. NICOLAUS TIDEMAN, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Testing for the Effects of Concealed Weapons Laws: Specification Errors and Robustness By CARLISLE E. MOODY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Safe-Storage Gun Laws: Accidental Deaths, Suicides, and Crime By JOHN R. LOTT, JR., AND JOHN E. WHITLEY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Right-to-Carry Concealed Weapon Laws and Homicide in Large U.S. Counties: The Effect on Weapon Types, Victim Characteristics, and Victim-Offender Relationships By DAVID E. OLSON AND MICHAEL D. MALTZ, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

The Impact of Banning Juvenile Gun Possession By Thomas B. Marvell, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Measurement Error in County-Level UCR Data by John R. Lott, Jr. and John Whitley, published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, June 2003, Volume 19, Issue 2, pp 185-198

Confirming More Guns, Less Crime by Florenz Plassmann and John Whitley, published in the Stanford Law Review, 2003

Using Placebo Laws to Test “More Guns, Less Crime” by Eric Helland and Alexander Tabarrok, published in Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, 4 (1): Article 1, 2004

Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement By John R. Lott, Jr. and William Landes, published in The Bias Against Guns

More Readers of Gun Magazines, But Not More Crimes by Florenz Plassmann and John R. Lott, Jr.

“More Guns, Less Crime” by John R Lott, Jr. (University of Chicago Press, 2010, 3rd edition).

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody, Thomas B. Marvell, Paul R Zimmerman, and Fasil Alemante published in Review of Economics & Finance, 2014

“An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates” by Mark Giusa published in Applied Economics Letters, Volume 21, Issue 4, 2014

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, volume 5, number 3, September 2008

“The Debate on Shall Issue Laws, Continued” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 6, Number 2 May 2009

“Did John Lott Provide Bad Data to the NRC? A Note on Aneja, Donohue, and Zhang” by Carlisle e. Moody, John R Lott, Jr, and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 10, Number 1, January 2013

More Guns, Less Crime: A Response to Ayres and Donohue’s 1999 book review in the American Law and Economics Review by John R. Lott, Jr.

Right-to-Carry Laws and Violent Crime Revisited: Clustering, Measurement Error, and State-by-State Break downs by John R. Lott, Jr.

For the

There are studies that show the violent crime rate does go down with more gun ownership.....and the most important point.....increasing gun ownership does not increase the crime rate....that is a fact....since more Americans have been buying, and carrying guns and our violent crime rate, specifically gun murder, is going down, not up.....

And at it's most basic level....victim to criminal....guns do effect that particular crime.........

And countries like Britain....have no guns...and twice our violent crime rate.....dittos Russia....

Japan....has no guns and very little crime over all...why....they are essentially a police state...the police have vast powers Americans would never tolerate.......

I have not seen a good study that shows that. Typically violent crime rates go up and so does gun ownership and policing. More policing lowers the violent crime rate.

Mad Cabbie...can I call you Cabbie? Brain...here is some light reading on the subject of guns and lower crime rates.....

A 2012 survey of the literature is available here. Some of the research showing that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime is listed here.

Crime, Deterrence, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by John R. Lott, Jr. and David B. Mustard, Journal of Legal Studies, 1997

The Effect of Concealed Weapons Laws: An Extreme Bound Analysis by William Alan Bartley and Mark A Cohen, published in Economic Inquiry, April 1998 (Copy available here)

Criminal Deterrence, Geographic Spillovers, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handguns by Stephen Bronars and John R. Lott, Jr., American Economic Review, May 1998

The Impact of Gun Laws on Police Deaths by David Mustard, published in the Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Privately Produced General Deterrence By BRUCE L. BENSON AND BRENT D. MAST, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Does the Right to Carry Concealed Handguns Deter Countable Crimes? Only a Count Analysis Can Say By FLORENZ PLASSMANN AND T. NICOLAUS TIDEMAN, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Testing for the Effects of Concealed Weapons Laws: Specification Errors and Robustness By CARLISLE E. MOODY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Safe-Storage Gun Laws: Accidental Deaths, Suicides, and Crime By JOHN R. LOTT, JR., AND JOHN E. WHITLEY, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Right-to-Carry Concealed Weapon Laws and Homicide in Large U.S. Counties: The Effect on Weapon Types, Victim Characteristics, and Victim-Offender Relationships By DAVID E. OLSON AND MICHAEL D. MALTZ, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

The Impact of Banning Juvenile Gun Possession By Thomas B. Marvell, Journal of Law and Economics, October 2001

Measurement Error in County-Level UCR Data by John R. Lott, Jr. and John Whitley, published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, June 2003, Volume 19, Issue 2, pp 185-198

Confirming More Guns, Less Crime by Florenz Plassmann and John Whitley, published in the Stanford Law Review, 2003

Using Placebo Laws to Test “More Guns, Less Crime” by Eric Helland and Alexander Tabarrok, published in Advances in Economic Analysis and Policy, 4 (1): Article 1, 2004

Multiple Victim Public Shootings, Bombings, and Right-to-Carry Concealed Handgun Laws: Contrasting Private and Public Law Enforcement By John R. Lott, Jr. and William Landes, published in The Bias Against Guns

More Readers of Gun Magazines, But Not More Crimes by Florenz Plassmann and John R. Lott, Jr.

“More Guns, Less Crime” by John R Lott, Jr. (University of Chicago Press, 2010, 3rd edition).

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody, Thomas B. Marvell, Paul R Zimmerman, and Fasil Alemante published in Review of Economics & Finance, 2014

“An examination of the effects of concealed weapons laws and assault weapons bans on state-level murder rates” by Mark Giusa published in Applied Economics Letters, Volume 21, Issue 4, 2014

“The Debate on Shall-Issue Laws” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, volume 5, number 3, September 2008

“The Debate on Shall Issue Laws, Continued” by Carlisle e. Moody and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 6, Number 2 May 2009

“Did John Lott Provide Bad Data to the NRC? A Note on Aneja, Donohue, and Zhang” by Carlisle e. Moody, John R Lott, Jr, and Thomas B. Marvell, published in Econ Journal Watch, Volume 10, Number 1, January 2013

More Guns, Less Crime: A Response to Ayres and Donohue’s 1999 book review in the American Law and Economics Review by John R. Lott, Jr.

Right-to-Carry Laws and Violent Crime Revisited: Clustering, Measurement Error, and State-by-State Break downs by John R. Lott, Jr.

For the

Wisconsin got right to carry and violent crime went up. Crime is not effected by gun ownership. More ownership does lead to more armed criminals however.

I have not seen a good study that shows that. Typically violent crime rates go up and so does gun ownership and policing. More policing lowers the violent crime rate.

Brain....I just posted those studies you can look at......

And here is one of Lott's papers....the important thing...he actually lists all the research the ones that point a positive benefit to lowering crime, no benefit and increase crime...he lists them all...have at them....

The list is on Page 1212-1213

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...-Maryland-Law-Review-Lott-Concealed-Carry.pdf

Last edited:

And here is one of Lott's papers....the important thing...he actually lists all the research the ones that point a positive benefit to lowering crime, no benefit and increase crime...he lists them all...have at them....

The list is on 1212-1213

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...-Maryland-Law-Review-Lott-Concealed-Carry.pdf

Crime has been dropping in this country for many years, even when gun ownership has hit lows. It doesn't effect crime rates.

I would post the actual list....but my skills are not up to getting it copied and pasted....

The list is on 1212-1213

Crime has been dropping in this country for many years, even when gun ownership has hit lows. It doesn't effect crime rates.

Well....16 different studies would disagree with you...they are on the list that I posted from Lott's piece....you can read them if you want....you can read the other ones as well.....

For the

Wisconsin got right to carry and violent crime went up. Crime is not effected by gun ownership. More ownership does lead to more armed criminals however.
Link?

Even if your number on Wisconsin is accurate...please link....the people in the gun world say it takes 5 years and 5% of the population to reduce crime after carry permits are allowed.....the concept that victims are now armed has to permeate the criminal culture.....so Wisconsin has a few more years....and even their state police have said concealed carry has not created a problem.....

Here is an article on the gun violence in Wisconsin....and again...Miwaukee has a democrat mayor.......who under staffs their police......

Sheriff shreds anti-gun mayor s excuse for crime spree

Putting the problem in context

Milwaukee is among the 20 most violent cities in the country. By far, the largest number of homicides in Milwaukee occurs in one zip code, 53206.

A University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee study says, “The 53206 Zip Code neighborhood serves as a bellwether for poverty changes in Milwaukee and nationally.”

Clarke said poverty is a risk factor that contributes to crime, but poverty itself does not cause crime.

“When you have those risk factors, the underclass is going to grow. So Mayor Barrett has not come up with a way to reduce the size of the underclass,” he said. “If you do, you’re going to have lower crime. Fewer numbers of them, fewer instances of crime.”

In fact, the city’s murder rate, while up from last year, is down substantially from the 1990s. The city had 155 murders in 1990 and reached a peak of 163 in 1991 before falling 25 percent to 122 by 1997, according to the Wisconsin Office of Justice Assistance.

For most of the 2000s, the city has averaged about 90 killings per year.

“Victims of homicide in Milwaukee were more likely to be young, black and male,” the reported stated. “The victimization rate for blacks has increased steadily over the last seven years. In 1990, a black person was more than 10 times as likely to be a victim of a homicide as a white person.”

How to explain a broader drop in homicides?

So the data would appear to support Clarke’s thesis that the cause of any recent blip in violent crime is more complex than the availability of guns.

“If you look at the data, over the years violent crime has fallen, and there are more guns on the street. But nobody ever asks Chief Flynn why there has been an increase in guns while the number of homicides went down; why is that?” Clarke asked. “You won’t see that question asked, because the media here are willing accomplices in perpetrating that myth that guns cause violence.”

Last edited:

For the

Link?

Wisconsin Crime Rates1960 - 2013

They got concealed carry late 2011.
Violent crime
2011 - 14,268
2013 - 15,570

Murder
2011 - 138
2013 - 162

And I think it is only getting worse based on the news.

Even if your number on Wisconsin is accurate...please link....the people in the gun world say it takes 5 years and 5% of the population to reduce crime after carry permits are allowed.....the concept that victims are now armed has to permeate the criminal culture.....so Wisconsin has a few more years....and even their state police have said concealed carry has not created a problem.....

Yes I know. Wait for a year when crime goes down then claim victory.

Here is an article on the gun violence in Wisconsin....and again...Miwaukee has a democrat mayor.......who under staffs their police......

Milwaukee is among the 20 most violent cities in the country. By far, the largest number of homicides in Milwaukee occurs in one zip code, 53206.

A University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee study says, “The 53206 Zip Code neighborhood serves as a bellwether for poverty changes in Milwaukee and nationally.”

Clarke said poverty is a risk factor that contributes to crime, but poverty itself does not cause crime.

“When you have those risk factors, the underclass is going to grow. So Mayor Barrett has not come up with a way to reduce the size of the underclass,” he said. “If you do, you’re going to have lower crime. Fewer numbers of them, fewer instances of crime.”

In fact, the city’s murder rate, while up from last year, is down substantially from the 1990s. The city had 155 murders in 1990 and reached a peak of 163 in 1991 before falling 25 percent to 122 by 1997, according to the Wisconsin Office of Justice Assistance.

“Victims of homicide in Milwaukee were more likely to be young, black and male,” the reported stated. “The victimization rate for blacks has increased steadily over the last seven years. In 1990, a black person was more than 10 times as likely to be a victim of a homicide as a white person.”

So the data would appear to support Clarke’s thesis that the cause of any recent blip in violent crime is more complex than the availability of guns.

“If you look at the data, over the years violent crime has fallen, and there are more guns on the street. But nobody ever asks Chief Flynn why there has been an increase in guns while the number of homicides went down; why is that?” Clarke asked. “You won’t see that question asked, because the media here are willing accomplices in perpetrating that myth that guns cause violence.”
There have been 43 murders so far this year, more than double the number of killings reported for the same period a year ago.

Concealed carry lowers violent crime does it?

There have been 43 murders so far this year, more than double the number of killings reported for the same period a year ago.

Concealed carry lowers violent crime does it?

Yes...actual studies show it......and if you read the article...the crime rate in Milwaukee is down from it's high....and since this democrat controlled city is a big crime stat driver controlling crime in MIlwaukee is a big thing...and the real reason crime is high in Milwaukee, just like Chicago....democrat crime policies......not providing enough police......spending money on everything but police.....

Lott's research shows the biggest mover of crime stats is police enforcement....and then concealed carry helps lower the crime rate after that....

Forum List

Back