Has Obama Made Us Into a Banana Republic?

You said most of the world's CEOs don't make 7 figures. Now you talk about individuals. Many countries do pay their CEOs more than 7 figures since the average compensation for those countries is over $1 million. You don't get that high of an average without paying that amount.

The ratio of CEO pay to the median salary for all other employees in the company provides a reference of how high CEO pay is. It's often used to compare CEO pay across countries. U.S. CEOs earn from 400 to 500 times the median salary for workers. For CEOs in the U.K., the ratio is 22; in France, it's 15; and in Germany it's 12.

CEO Compensation in the US Vs. the World Chron.com

Gee, how is it that these companies work just fine without their CEO's getting filthy rich?

So the average income in Germany for an employee is $200,000?

Regardless of the ratios, aren't you the one that said the rich are parasites? Wouldn't a CEO making 7 figures a year, although the ratio of what it is in the U.S. is less, still be considered rich or is it that you only apply rich to CEOs in the U.S.?

Government does a shitty job compared to private industry. Where has it been demonstrated that customers are more satisfied with Medicare then CIGNA?

Any poll of customer satisfaction.
Seems you would have shown one after having made the claim twice.

As a rule, I don't links. Because you conservatards pretend you never saw them.

New Study Elderly Medicare Beneficiaries Most Satisifed with Their Health Insurance Working-Age Adult with Private Coverage Report More Trouble Accessing Care Paying Medical Bills - The Commonwealth Fund

The study finds that Medicare beneficiaries have better access to care and greater financial protection than adults with private coverage. In 2010 about one-fourth (23%) of Medicare beneficiaries went without needed health care because of costs, compared with 37 percent of those with employer coverage. Adults with employer-based insurance (39%) and individual insurance (39%) reported medical bill problems at almost double the rate of Medicare beneficiaries (21%). The study finds that while health care access and medical bill problems worsened for adults with all types of coverage over the past decade, Medicare continued to provide better coverage during that time period.

“Medicare continues to do better than employer-sponsored and individual plans when it comes to providing people with good access to health care and adequate protection from burdensome medical bills,” said Stremikis, senior researcher at The Commonwealth Fund. “Policies designed to move the elderly out of Medicare and into private plans need to be carefully designed, so as not to expose beneficiaries to the poorer access to care currently experienced by many working-age adults with private insurance.”

From my personal perspective, and I'm the only one that matters to me, I've never had problems with my employer based coverage paying and on time. They are easy to work with and cover what they say they will cover.

Where the riots based on race or poverty. They are two distinct things unless you're claiming that only people of one race are poor.

actually, both. 400 years of systematic racism finally came to a boil.

Now, of course, you didn't see poor white people in the South rioting, because they are kind of, what's that word, oh yah, stupid.

You just saw poor n*ggers everywhere else rioting because they thought someone owed them something.

Someone that hates something because he knows he'll never be that is a parasite. Someone that support taxing the rich in order to give it to someone else is a parasite.

You should be careful who you call parasite. Some of those corporations where the CEO's make 7 figures are big contributors to politicians whose ideas you support.

I'm sure they do. They've realized you Conservatives are too fucking nuts to run the country, so they are just getting on the wining side.

I do love how they slapped down you CHristian nutters on Baking Cakes, don't you.

HOw does it feel to have outlived your usefulness, tool?

So corporations donating to Democrats are OK but corporations donating to Republicans are parasites? That contradicts how you defined parasite earlier.

I'm still useful and will continue to be long after you get fired from another job.

Those that run the government couldn't find a hooker in a whore house.

The government's done a good job with the war on poverty. Trillions spent and still the same percentage in poverty as prior to the spending.

We don't have food riots. We don't have race riots. The war on poverty did exactly what it was designed to do, keep the population stable.

It was designed to eliminate poverty and it failed.

Sure they are. That you don't think so makes you a parasite.

Most of the world doesn't have CEO's who make 7 figures. Most of the world taxes the rich at very high rates.

The rich are parasites. The sooner we expunge them, the better.

The corporate tax rate in the U.S. is 40% Although I looked through a list, I'm yet to find one that taxes their corporations any higher. I'm sure you say that the rate should be higher because the ratio of CEO pay to employee pay is wider. I caution the confusion between corporate tax rate and taxes on individuals.

When almost half of the individuals pay zero income taxes, arguing that those who pay at all don't pay enough is invalid. I know you will reply with pay them more and they'll pay income taxes. That is easily proven false so don't waste your time. A single parent of 3 making minimum wage could have the pay more than tripled and still not pay income taxes. Don't believe me, run the numbers using the 1040 form.

Start with an income of $49,199. Deduct the standard head of household deduction of $9100. That's $40,099. Next deduct the value of 4 exemptions ($15,800) and get $24,299. While the tax liability on that $24,299 taxable income is $2994, when you take the 3 child tax credits of $1000/each ($3000), the tax liability is ZERO. The premise that paying someone a living wage means they'll pay income taxes is not necessarily true.

Regardless of the ratios, aren't you the one that said the rich are parasites? Wouldn't a CEO making 7 figures a year, although the ratio of what it is in the U.S. is less, still be considered rich or is it that you only apply rich to CEOs in the U.S.?

I think the CEO's in the US are a lot worse than their European counterparts. Their European counterparts aren't trying to shred the safety net to make themselves richer, to start with. They support common sense stuff like universal health coverage.

The corporate tax rate in the U.S. is 40% Although I looked through a list, I'm yet to find one that taxes their corporations any higher. I'm sure you say that the rate should be higher because the ratio of CEO pay to employee pay is wider. I caution the confusion between corporate tax rate and taxes on individuals.

The Coporate tax rate is a theoretical 40%. In actuality, ours is one of the lowest.

Effective_Corporate_Tax_Rate_OECD_Countries,_2000-2005_Average.jpg

I think the CEO's in the US are a lot worse than their European counterparts. Their European counterparts aren't trying to shred the safety net to make themselves richer, to start with. They support common sense stuff like universal health coverage.

So a CEO in Europe making 7 figures isn't make the same amount as a CEO making 7 figures in the U.S? Interesting, taking out the exchange rate, that a million dollars plus isn't equal to a million dollars plus. Next you'll tell me 2 doesn't equal 2.

Now your focus is other things since being shown that pay for CEOs isn't that much different there. You lose.

So a CEO in Europe making 7 figures isn't make the same amount as a CEO making 7 figures in the U.S? Interesting, taking out the exchange rate, that a million dollars plus isn't equal to a million dollars plus. Next you'll tell me 2 doesn't equal 2.

Now your focus is other things since being shown that pay for CEOs isn't that much different there. You lose.

Uh, guy, you haven't shown anything. THe fact is, American CEO's make obscene amounts of money and most of them don't even run their companies well.

It should also be pointed out that the rich in Europe actually pay much higher top marginal tax rates.

They actually pay their - wait for it - FAIR SHARE IN TAXES!!!!

Then you're an idiot.

No, an idiot is someone who watches the REpublicans bring us our last five recessions and our last three wars and totally wants them in office again.

An idiot thinks that a poverty rate of the same percentage now as it was before trillions were spent is alleviated. We have record numbers on food stamps yet you claim poverty is less.

Uh, guy, you haven't shown anything. THe fact is, American CEO's make obscene amounts of money and most of them don't even run their companies well.

It should also be pointed out that the rich in Europe actually pay much higher top marginal tax rates.

They actually pay their - wait for it - FAIR SHARE IN TAXES!!!!

Funny how you define fair as someone else paying an amount you think they should. Wait for it, it's not your place. I bet you think half in the U.S. paying a zero marginal rate is fair. You'd be wrong there, too.

I've shown that a million dollars is a million dollars regardless where it is. You deny that.

Reaganism has ruined the nonrich and the country. End of story, hater dupes.

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.
Over the past 30 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:
1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.
Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.
But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):
1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%
A 13% drop since 1980
2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:
1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%
An increase of 16% since Reagan.
3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.
1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)
A 12.3% drop after Reagan.
4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:
1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%
A 45% increase after 1980.
5. SO THE GAP BETWEEN THE RICHEST AND THE POOREST HAS GROWN.
Gap Between the Share of Capital Income earned by the top 1%
and the bottom 80%:
1980 = 10%
2003 = 56%
A 5.6 times increase.
6. AND THE AMERICAN DREAM IS GONE.

The Probably of Moving Up from the Bottom 40% to the Top 40%:
1945 = 12%
1958 = 6%
1990 = 3%
2000 = 2%
A 10% Decrease.
Links:
1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Zh1bveXc8rA/SuddUhLWUaI/AAAAAAAAA7M/iU2gefk317M/s1600-h/Clipboard01.jpg
2 – http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/blog/09/04/27/CongratulationstoEmmanuelSaez/
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=58&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2010
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/
5/6 = http://www.businessinsider.com/15-charts-about-wealth-and-inequality-in-america-2010-4?slop=1#slideshow-start
Overview = http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010062415/reagan-revolution-home-roost-charts

So many Pub loopholes, 55% of big corps pay nothing in taxes.

Forum List

Back