Hmmm...I thought churches didn't have to worry about performing gay marriages...what about this...

How does making money remove your 1st amendment rights?

I think it's because there are laws that require equality when it comes to business.

That said, I'm no expert on the law.

If I'm an RN, I can't choose to not care for someone because they're gay. Personally, as with the issue of the cake-maker, I feel he should have been allowed to not make gay wedding cakes if it didn't jive with his beliefs.

I need a better understanding of each side on this particular issue.

There is nothing in providing nursing care that changes based on the sexual orientation of the person. A heart attack is a heart attack, AIDS is AIDS, and broken arm is a broken arm. Here the state is compelling a minister to perform an act outside of their religious base, in a religous act.
Actually, no. The Hitching Post explicitly states that they can and will perform non-religious ceremonies in purely secular services.
They're not a church, they're officially open for everyone regardless of religion.

They are still ordained ministers and cannot be compelled to act against their morals.

So if they claim as 'ordained ministers' that their moral beliefs state that they cannot pay income taxes- they can't be compelled to pay income taxes?
I'm pretty sure pastors themselves pay income tax.

I think it's because there are laws that require equality when it comes to business.

That said, I'm no expert on the law.

If I'm an RN, I can't choose to not care for someone because they're gay. Personally, as with the issue of the cake-maker, I feel he should have been allowed to not make gay wedding cakes if it didn't jive with his beliefs.

I need a better understanding of each side on this particular issue.

There is nothing in providing nursing care that changes based on the sexual orientation of the person. A heart attack is a heart attack, AIDS is AIDS, and broken arm is a broken arm. Here the state is compelling a minister to perform an act outside of their religious base, in a religous act.
Actually, no. The Hitching Post explicitly states that they can and will perform non-religious ceremonies in purely secular services.
They're not a church, they're officially open for everyone regardless of religion.

They are still ordained ministers and cannot be compelled to act against their morals.

So if they claim as 'ordained ministers' that their moral beliefs state that they cannot pay income taxes- they can't be compelled to pay income taxes?

Not the point.

i'm sorry you think jim crow was a good thing

I'm sorry you don't understand what jim crow actually was....that was government forced discrimination...the government made private businesses discriminate, even if they didn't want to...what gays are doing here with this forced acomodation is the same as jim crow...the government is forcing a private citizen to do something against their will....

'forced accomodation'?

The 1964 Civil Rights act 'forced' private business to end discrimination

(a)Equal access
All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, as defined in this section, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.

Federal law does not extend to discrimination based upon sexual orientation- but many state laws- like this state's do.

No different legally than telling a motel that they can't refuse to rent to Blacks or Jews.

Not the point.

Never heard of that, I thought it was just the churches money itself that couldn't be taxed.

Not the point.

Care to name one religion that is against paying income tax? Because I will join that religion

Not the point.

Care to name one religion that is against paying income tax? Because I will join that religion

Start your own religion- and test out the legal ramifications.

Let us know how that works out.

Not the point.

Start your own religion- and test out the legal ramifications.

Let us know how that works out.
Don't need to, i'm a Christian, and happy with my pastors teachings.

Why are folks trying so hard to make out as if this wedding chapel is a church and the proprietors are ministers? It's a wedding chapel, not St. Peter's. It's more like Vegas, not Vatican Square. And the folks running this going concern are homophobes hiding behind the skirts of sectarianism. They are Capitalists dressing in ecumenical costumes.

Why are folks trying so hard to make out as if this wedding chapel is a church and the proprietors are ministers? It's a wedding chapel, not St. Peter's. It's more like Vegas, not Vatican Square. And the folks running this going concern are homophobes hiding behind the skirts of sectarianism. They are Capitalists dressing in ecumenical costumes.

Who gives a shit?

What kind of fucking pathetic loser do you have to be to try to force others to do business with you? They don't like you, why would you insist they take your money? Duh!!

Who gives a shit?

What kind of fucking pathetic loser do you have to be to try to force others to do business with you? They don't like you, why would you insist they take your money? Duh!!
I know they call them homophobic bigots, but then demand they take their money. Proof positive being queer is a mental disorder.

What about mosques refusing to give in to the homofascist agenda? I want the homos to try that so we can watch them get blown up.
Mosques are like churches, not wedding chapels for profit.
Making excuses for the muslim bigotry and homo hypocrisy, eh?

Didn't understand the point, huh? Or does the first amendment only apply to Christians?
You mean does the first amendment only apply to the religions of Islam and homofascism?

What about mosques refusing to give in to the homofascist agenda? I want the homos to try that so we can watch them get blown up.

Didn't understand the point, huh? Or does the first amendment only apply to Christians?
You mean does the first amendment only apply to the religions of Islam and homofascism?

it applies to ALL religions, snookums. there are others besides Christianity.

you're welcome

you're welcome
That's exactly my point. There are other religions besides Islam and homofascism.

I wouldn't think the government can tell a church who they must marry at all. Seems a clear breach of separation of church and state. If the state(s) can compel a church to go against it's theology then there is no separation any more.

Only grounds the state might have juridiction, or should, is if the church is a business in which case it could be subject to federal laws like any other business. But that'd have to be osmething like Hobby Lobby which is a proper retail business much mroe so than religious enterprise. For an actual church or chapel registered to do marriages compulsion by the state seems like government overreaching.

I wouldn't think the government can tell a church who they must marry at all. Seems a clear breach of separation of church and state. If the state(s) can compel a church to go against it's theology then there is no separation any more.
That's the point that has flown over the heads of lefties.

you're welcome
t. There are other religions besides ......homofascism.

I find it hilarious that you have made up a religion called 'homofascism'- is this a cult you have started yourself?

Forum List

Back