Houston Flooding Could Have Been Prevented

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Act of nature ? Sure, hurricanes are exactly that. But Hurricane Harvey’s massive troubles are as much man-made, as they are natural. A classic case of negligence gone wild, over generations.

Before Affirmative Action bumped me out of my graduate school of urban planning, I did manage to learn how lack of proper care of urban environments, can bring disaster on a catastrophic scale. The problem with Houston is too much real estate development, creating too little greenspace. Too much pavement (roads, parking lots, housing, etc), and not enough land left natural. When you pass a certain level of covered ground, you get flooding.

With soil, water can seep down into the earth. But with pavements, it lies on top, with nowhere to go, but build up higher (AKA flooding). Runoffs (streams , sewers, etc) quickly become saturated and useless.

In addition to the overdevelopment of land in the city, there is also the factor of underdevelopment of exit routes. Houston’s mayor (correctly) stated that mass evacuation was not feasible, due to the problem of traffic congestion, with dangers of accidents, and heat stroke deaths (that have occurred previously)

Again, lack of planning (or the ignoring of advice from city planners). Had more land been left unpaved (including roads), and more exit routes been constructed, Harvey would not be the catastrophe that it is.

In the old days, when roads and parking areas where dirt, generally, hurricanes’ effects were not as severe.

I see this same shit where I live, time and time again, open land out in urban areas, concreted over for some big high rise or commercial development....trees, open land all pave over. Then the rain comes, and flooding. Oh and just for the record, I doubt if AA kept you from perusing a dream, you like most lazy white people couldn't cut the mustard

I see this same shit where I live, time and time again, open land out in urban areas, concreted over for some big high rise or commercial development....trees, open land all pave over. Then the rain comes, and flooding. Oh and just for the record, I doubt if AA kept you from perusing a dream, you like most lazy white people couldn't cut the mustard
I doubt that you doubt. :badgrin:

Act of nature ? Sure, hurricanes are exactly that. But Hurricane Harvey’s massive troubles are as much man-made, as they are natural. A classic case of negligence gone wild, over generations.

Before Affirmative Action bumped me out of my graduate school of urban planning, I did manage to learn how lack of proper care of urban environments, can bring disaster on a catastrophic scale. The problem with Houston is too much real estate development, creating too little greenspace. Too much pavement (roads, parking lots, housing, etc), and not enough land left natural. When you pass a certain level of covered ground, you get flooding.

With soil, water can seep down into the earth. But with pavements, it lies on top, with nowhere to go, but build up higher (AKA flooding). Runoffs (streams , sewers, etc) quickly become saturated and useless.

In addition to the overdevelopment of land in the city, there is also the factor of underdevelopment of exit routes. Houston’s mayor (correctly) stated that mass evacuation was not feasible, due to the problem of traffic congestion, with dangers of accidents, and heat stroke deaths (that have occurred previously)

Again, lack of planning (or the ignoring of advice from city planners). Had more land been left unpaved (including roads), and more exit routes been constructed, Harvey would not be the catastrophe that it is.

In the old days, when roads and parking areas where dirt, generally, hurricanes’ effects were not as severe.
Agreed.

I experienced Hurricane Alicia in 83.

Houston didn't learn from that.

I had also experienced , what was considered the worst and costliest Hurricane Agnes in 72.

Maryland has been over developed and the traffic is virtually at a standstill.

If we were to experience another Hurricane of either magnitude, here in Maryland, it will cost a number of lives.

We are dealing with flooding during normal conditions.

Fortunately I am not residing in any of the known flood zones.

There's more to the Houston flooding blame. It is overdevelopment, with too much pavement (not enough natural, soft ground). But there's also a political side to it. Why do politicians grants permits, for all this development ? Surely their urban planners must be advising them against it.

When I traveled from California to Florida on Interstate 10, there was a tropical storm taking place. (Allison) I heard on the radio ("Houston's under water"). That was in 1989. So, with overdevelopment already a serious problem then, what did Houston politicians do for the past 28 years ? Grant more permits to pave over more soft earth, making the flooding situation worse and worse.

And why did they do this ? >> Because, greed-driven developers, with no thought about flooding or the security of the population, were PAYING them to grant those permits, that's why.

As long as political offices can be bought, and are more like auctions than elections, this terrible scenario will continue unabated.

You blame affirmative action for you flunking out of grad school? I'd guess that AA didn't exist when you were a college student, gramps.

Not sure if any level of infrastructure upgrades could have prevented this flooding. The sheer volume of water they are getting hasn't been seen in that area since records were kept, I believe.

You design runoff controls for a 100 year storm, not for something like this.

Poppycock...
They've done plenty to ease flooding.
When you build a large building of any type you now have to add a collection pond.
Then you have the reservoirs that incompass 40 square miles specifically designed to stop flooding and they do a great job of keeping Houston dry.
With Harvey I dont care what you did to prevent flooding you're still going to flood.

Well my little liberal, your party keeps letting the Mexicans jump the border so we obviously have to have places to put them. We must have places to store resources for them. Now if you want this to stop better round them up and get them out of here. BUILD THE WALL!!!

Not sure if any level of infrastructure upgrades could have prevented this flooding. The sheer volume of water they are getting hasn't been seen in that area since records were kept, I believe.

You design runoff controls for a 100 year storm, not for something like this.

Agreed!

While there is little doubt that over urbanization can cause flooding, the truth is this.

If Houston did not exist, this area would have flooded. They have received nearly 52 inches of water in a week. No ground, anywhere, can absorb that much water that quickly.

In the old days, there weren't as many people. It didn't matter how severe the hurricane was, no one suffered losses because no one was there.

It all still comes down to due diligence. People who buy and move into flood prone areas need to know what they're getting into and prepare.
My dad was born in a house on stilts on the banks of the Mississippi river. Apparently even uneducated people in the 1920's had more sense than the internet capable folks of today.

Thanks to the massive amounts of rain there is virtually nothing that could have been done to prevent the flooding. It was regional, not localized which makes control nearly impossible. What could have been done is build retractable dams to channel the water away from certain areas, but that is very expensive to do. Here's a time lapse video showing the flooding.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Poppycock...
When you build a large building of any type you now have to add a collection pond.
Then you have the reservoirs that incompass 40 square miles specifically designed to stop flooding and they do a great job of keeping Houston dry.
With Harvey I dont care what you did to prevent flooding you're still going to flood.
Don't be a defeatist. Nature is the enemy of man; don't let it ever have its way with us just because our illegitimate Masters refuse to pay taxes to fund infrastructure that benefits us all.

If they had just not voted for tRump it would have made a huge difference in the storms damage.

Poppycock...
Don't be a defeatist. Nature is the enemy of man; don't let it ever have its way with us just because our illegitimate Masters refuse to pay taxes to fund infrastructure that benefits us all.

Dude I live here so I think I have a pretty good grasp of the situation.
Houston is constantly coming up with ways to reduce flooding.
I dont care how much money you throw at drainage,Harvey would have laughed at your attempts.

Just to give you an idea just how much rain Harvey produced.

"What if we took that 19 trillion gallons of water and dumped it in the Great Lakes? How much would the water levels go up in the Great Lakes.

For a one inch rise in water level on a Great Lake:

Lake Superior needs 550 billion gallons

Lake Michigan & Lake Huron need 790 billion gallons

Lake Erie needs 170 billion gallons

Lake Ontario needs 120 billion gallons.

(Correction note: Earlier Army Corps of Engineers data had Lake Erie and Lake Ontario water statistics reversed.)

So to lift the water level of the entire Great Lakes just one inch, it would take 1.63 trillion gallons.

The 19 trillion gallons of rain in the past few days over Texas would raise the the entire Great Lakes 11.66 inches. That's almost a foot of water over the entire surface of the largest freshwater lake system in the world."

You blame affirmative action for you flunking out of grad school? I'd guess that AA didn't exist when you were a college student, gramps.

He didn't say flunked out you stupid motherfucker.

AA has been giving unqualified black boys a chance for over 56 years all in the name of making guilt ridden whites feel better.

FEMA has been doing flood surveys for decades. Any development has to take into consideration Federal measured flood plains. Flood abatement projects are also part of FEMA however, there is only so much that can be done for such a cataclysmic event as Harvey. Perhaps after this, Texas will have the foresight you recommend.

Forum List

Back