How is a 10 year old child ready for marriage ?

Yes they are ! Read much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Show me!

Do your own homework

Then it isn't legal. Or you would show me. Eat dirt dirtbag!
Why are insults necessary? A little defensive? . OK, I'll do your homework for you since you seem to be to lazy and incurious to do it yourself:

While most states set 18 as the minimum marriage age, exceptions in every state allow children younger than 18 to marry, typically with parental consent or judicial approval. How much younger? Laws in 27 states do not specify an age below which a child cannot marry.

Unchained At Last, a nonprofit I founded to help women resist or escape forced marriage in the United States, spent the past year collecting marriage license data from 2000 to 2010, the most recent year for which most states were able to provide information. We learned that in 38 states, more than 167,000 children — almost all of them girls, some as young 12 — were married during that period, mostly to men 18 or older. Twelve states and the District of Columbia were unable to provide information on how many children had married there in that decade. Based on the correlation we identified between state population and child marriage, we estimated that the total number of children wed in America between 2000 and 2010 was nearly 248,000. Perspective | Why can 12-year-olds still get married in the United States?

How many were 16 or older, (above age of consent) and marrying men who were 18 to 21?
Actually I don't know. I could find out, but so can you if you're interested. Me, not so much. The fact is that they are still children at 16 and at least some were younger, and ,what I posted states that they were married mostly to men 18 or older.

I was responding to someone who seems to be in denial of the fact that there is legal child marriage in the US at all.

Do your own homework

Why are insults necessary? A little defensive? . OK, I'll do your homework for you since you seem to be to lazy and incurious to do it yourself:

While most states set 18 as the minimum marriage age, exceptions in every state allow children younger than 18 to marry, typically with parental consent or judicial approval. How much younger? Laws in 27 states do not specify an age below which a child cannot marry.

Unchained At Last, a nonprofit I founded to help women resist or escape forced marriage in the United States, spent the past year collecting marriage license data from 2000 to 2010, the most recent year for which most states were able to provide information. We learned that in 38 states, more than 167,000 children — almost all of them girls, some as young 12 — were married during that period, mostly to men 18 or older. Twelve states and the District of Columbia were unable to provide information on how many children had married there in that decade. Based on the correlation we identified between state population and child marriage, we estimated that the total number of children wed in America between 2000 and 2010 was nearly 248,000. Perspective | Why can 12-year-olds still get married in the United States?

How many were 16 or older, (above age of consent) and marrying men who were 18 to 21?
Actually I don't know. I could find out, but so can you if you're interested. Me, not so much. The fact is that they are still children at 16 and at least some were younger, and ,what I posted states that they were married mostly to men 18 or older.

I was responding to someone who seems to be in denial of the fact that there is legal child marriage in the US at all.

But the source in question makes no distinction between 12 year old marrying a 40 year old man and a 16 year old marrying a 18 year old.

Do you think that is reasonable?

Do your own homework

But the source in question makes no distinction between 12 year old marrying a 40 year old man and a 16 year old marrying a 18 year old.

My question is most of these states that will perform these marriages require a judge and parents to sign off on them. So judges made 248,000 rulings in favor of child marriage, why aren't we looking at some of these judges.

My question is most of these states that will perform these marriages require a judge and parents to sign off on them. So judges made 248,000 rulings in favor of child marriage, why aren't we looking at some of these judges.

Better yet, take a look at the rulings. Presumably there are reasons listed in them why the judge felt it was acceptable.

Do your own homework

Do you think that it's reasonable that a 16 year old be allowed to marry at all?. Do you think that it is reasonable for that 16 year old to be forced into marriage as is sometimes the case? Opinion | America’s Child-Marriage Problem

Those are the issues that I'm dealing with, not the age difference. However, wide differences to occur and that makes it that much worse.

Do you think that it's reasonable that a 16 year old be allowed to marry at all?. Do you think that it is reasonable for that 16 year old to be forced into marriage as is sometimes the case? Opinion | America’s Child-Marriage Problem

Those are the issues that I'm dealing with, not the age difference. However, wide differences to occur and that makes it that much worse.

NOthing I have said, indicated any support for forced marriage.

A 16 year old? Is 16 is old enough to give consent to have sex, then it is old enough to deal with the consequences of that act.

What percentage of these marriages are forced?

A 16 year old? Is 16 is old enough to give consent to have sex, then it is old enough to deal with the consequences of that act.

I never suggested that you are in favor of forced marriages. I have no idea what percentage of underage marriages are coerced and there may be no way of knowing for sure since coercion is subtle and hidden. If you want to know more about the percentages, do the research, don't ask me. My name is not google.

Some 16 year olds may be mature enough to consent to sex, but to say that they then have to deal with the consequences is rather harsh. Isn't everyone entitled to a mistake or two. ?

My position is simple and clear:

Marriage under 18 should be rare and only allowed under the most unique circumstances and always approved by a family court judge. Parents cant be trusted to be objective and not be a party to coercion

Large age differences should be given special scrutiny because the larger the difference, the more likely that the marriage will fail.

Those who are part of a religious group know to force kids to marry should be given yet more scrutiny

Again, I'm not interested in percentages or numbers. If one child is forced into marriage and condemned to years of misery , that is one child too many

Those are bullshit numbers, but child marriage is rampant in the Muslim world, which is because their prophet married a nine year old.

As I've pointed out may times; All religion is BULLSHIT.
You are certainly entitled to that opinion. It's a free country. But all religions aren't the same and neither are their followers behaving the same today.

All religion is faith over reason, thus....BULLSHIT.

Those are bullshit numbers, but child marriage is rampant in the Muslim world, which is because their prophet married a nine year old.

You are certainly entitled to that opinion. It's a free country. But all religions aren't the same and neither are their followers behaving the same today.

Dang, you are such a simpleton. No wonder you are a Left Wing Nut. If you don't believe me, then perhaps you'll listen to a fellow radical Leftie Bill Maher:

Children live together without marriage and that is okay, yet we get enraged because they get married. ?
What? What the hell are you talking about? Marriage is a commitment and a legal obligation. Do you really think that kids should be allowed to get married? At what age. ? Should they be able to marry adults? How much older. ? What are you advocating?

and people thing Mary was a virgin till her death................

Isabelle of France (1389-1409), oldest daughter of King Charles VI, was not quite seven years old when she married Richard II as his second wife in 1396. He seems to have been very kind to her. In the Middle Ages princely and aristocratic marriages were often contracted on behalf of young children for reasons of diplomacy or for other material advantages. Canon law, however, decreed that such marriages should not be consummated until both parties were of age, at least twelve for a girl and fourteen for a boy.

^ I sort of addressed this issue re. many, many Centuries ago people got married for specific reasons.

upload_2017-7-11_1-36-31.png

How is a 10 year old child ready for marriage ?

The situation is that now there is absolutely no need for anyone under the age of 18 years old to get married.

Child marriages are incredibly damaging. Statistically, they are far more likely to cut short their education, to end up either in low paying jobs or on welfare. Girls are more likely to end up abused and bearing children before they are physically and mentally ready.

As to where it's prevalent? Try South America, many parts of Africa, India, Nepal, mMiddle East and yes the US..and no, it's not just immigrant communities. Instead of arguing over religion, open your eyes and see how widespread it still is. Many young girls here still see marriage and pregnancy as an escape from a dead end life they see no other way out of.

"Many young girls here still see marriage and pregnancy as an escape from a dead end life they see no other way out of."

Including as the only way they see out of an abusive household, of course getting pregnant deliberately to escape from something is a very bad decision for a teenage girl to make, often it leads to more problems, such as a very short lived marriage, then abandonment and then being left to bring the child and/or children up alone and often in either a welfare environment and/or a very low wage environment, neither being productive emotionally or economically for either the child and/or children or the mother.

Child marriages are incredibly damaging. Statistically, they are far more likely to cut short their education, to end up either in low paying jobs or on welfare. Girls are more likely to end up abused and bearing children before they are physically and mentally ready.

As to where it's prevalent? Try South America, many parts of Africa, India, Nepal, mMiddle East and yes the US..and no, it's not just immigrant communities. Instead of arguing over religion, open your eyes and see how widespread it still is. Many young girls here still see marriage and pregnancy as an escape from a dead end life they see no other way out of.

"Many young girls here still see marriage and pregnancy as an escape from a dead end life they see no other way out of."

Including as the only way they see out of an abusive household, of course getting pregnant deliberately to escape from something is a very bad decision for a teenage girl to make, often it leads to more problems, such as a very short lived marriage, then abandonment and then being left to bring the child and/or children up alone and often in either a welfare environment and/or a very low wage environment, neither being productive emotionally or economically for either child and/or children or the mother.

I was talking with my co worker recently and we were talking about teen pregnancy statistics in a neighboring town - really high! She is in her early thirties, she remembered girls getting pregnant just to escape a dead end town. I don't remember anyone in highschool getting pregnant.

"Is 16 is old enough to give consent to have sex, then it is old enough to deal with the consequences of that act."

What we are dealing with there is I) a decision from a 16 year old based purely on raging hormones and II) a situation where a 16 year old is not emotionally mature enough to deal with the consequences ie. pregnancy.

Children should not be having children and a 16 year old legally is still a child and many 16 year old's emotionally are effectively still children also.

Including as the only way they see out of an abusive household, of course getting pregnant deliberately to escape from something is a very bad decision for a teenage girl to make, often it leads to more problems, such as a very short lived marriage, then abandonment and then being left to bring the child and/or children up alone and often in either a welfare environment and/or a very low wage environment, neither being productive emotionally or economically for either child and/or children or the mother.

I was talking with my co worker recently and we were talking about teen pregnancy statistics in a neighboring town - really high! She is in her early thirties, she remembered girls getting pregnant just to escape a dead end town. I don't remember anyone in highschool getting pregnant.

That's tragic, those girls need responsible adults who'll guide them to make better decisions.

I think also some girls of 15, 16 years of age have been brought up in an environment where they've been emotionally neglected and have never felt they were loved.

So those girls often deliberately become pregnant because the baby belongs to them, it's something they can love and care for, which psychologically makes up for the love they were never given by their parents.

Some people shouldn't have children, if you are going to emotionally neglect them, what's the point of having children under that scenario. Also people shouldn't have children unless they can financially support the children, it's not a good situation for children to be brought up on welfare, that's not a good start in life for a child.

I never suggested that you are in favor of forced marriages. I have no idea what percentage of underage marriages are coerced and there may be no way of knowing for sure since coercion is subtle and hidden. If you want to know more about the percentages, do the research, don't ask me. My name is not google.

Some 16 year olds may be mature enough to consent to sex, but to say that they then have to deal with the consequences is rather harsh. Isn't everyone entitled to a mistake or two. ?

My position is simple and clear:

Marriage under 18 should be rare and only allowed under the most unique circumstances and always approved by a family court judge. Parents cant be trusted to be objective and not be a party to coercion

Large age differences should be given special scrutiny because the larger the difference, the more likely that the marriage will fail.

Those who are part of a religious group know to force kids to marry should be given yet more scrutiny

Again, I'm not interested in percentages or numbers. If one child is forced into marriage and condemned to years of misery , that is one child too many

Well, there are over two million marriages in the US a year, and according to the op, 20,000 "child" marriages, so that's less than one percent.

That's pretty rare. So, BOOM, we are there already.

All the numbers posted conflate truly abusive situations, with fairly traditional early marriage. That's bullshit on their part.

Mistake? Let's keep it real. Our society does not consider teen age sex to be a mistake.

The standard model, at this point in time, is for "children" to become sexually active in high school, with no intentions of marriage or children, before they can vote, or live alone, or start a career. And to continue sleeping around, with a series of partners until they graduate college in their mid twenties.

"Is 16 is old enough to give consent to have sex, then it is old enough to deal with the consequences of that act."

What we are dealing with there is I) a decision from a 16 year old based purely on raging hormones and II) a situation where a 16 year old is not emotionally mature enough to deal with the consequences ie. pregnancy.

Children should not be having children and a 16 year old legally is still a child and many 16 year old's emotionally are effectively still children also.

If the "child" is not mature enough to deal with the consequences of sex, then they should not be having sex.

AND the 16 year olds choosing to have sex should not be being discussed in the same thread as 10 year olds being forcibly married.

These are two very distinct issues.

I think also some girls of 15, 16 years of age have been brought up in an environment where they've been emotionally neglected and have never felt they were loved.

So those girls often deliberately become pregnant because the baby belongs to them, it's something they can love and care for, which psychologically makes up for the love they were never given by their parents.

Some people shouldn't have children, if you are going to emotionally neglect them, what's the point of having children under that scenario. Also people shouldn't have children unless they can financially support the children, it's not a good situation for children to be brought up on welfare, that's not a good start in life for a child.

Agreed. ON the other hand.

i think that some girls are tired of being treated like children, when they are old enough to have adult relations, or to get a job,

and have children so that they can take on an adult role, and start being treated as an adult.

Dang, you are such a simpleton. No wonder you are a Left Wing Nut. If you don't believe me, then perhaps you'll listen to a fellow radical Leftie Bill Maher:

You accept Christianity on faith, would you accept any other religion on faith?

You accept Christianity on faith, would you accept any other religion on faith?
Better to judge it by its fruits, no?

Forum List

Back