How much do extremely wealthy people owe to the society that gave them the chance to prosper so much?

History shows that labor saving devices have never reduced the need for human labor. All they have done is free up labor for other uses.

Never before in history have our tools gotten to the point where they will achieve increasing levels of sentience and autonomy. It's different this time. Our tools are outgrowing us.
that statement is based on a lack of experience,,,

Surely something, right? I see a lot of people talk like taxes are theft. Is it not just our obligation?
You won’t get many if any serious answers.
I feel they should pay at least the same percentage of income as the bulk of Americans pay. Unfortunately though our current system makes it cheaper for them to pay experts to avoid taxes altogether in some cases. See Trump.
See every multi-millionaire and billionaire and stop pretending it's something unique to TRUMP!. Why do you think Warren Buffet complains about the income tax being too low? He does it because most of his income is in capital gains, not regular income and he knows if it gets raised it won't effect him very much.
See every multi-millionaire and billionaire and stop pretending it's something unique to TRUMP!. Why do you think Warren Buffet complains about the income tax being too low? He does it because most of his income is in capital gains, not regular income and he knows if it gets raised it won't effect him very much.
Derp....
I used Trump because we know for a fact what he’s paid recently. As long as a tax expert and loopholes are cheaper they will always pay a lower percentage.
And as long as it's legal to do so, they will continue to pay a lower percentage. Just don't believe a rich democrat when he tries to tell you he wants to pay more taxes. He doesn't, because if he did, he wouldn't have a tax firm doing his return for him.
And as long as it's legal to do so, they will continue to pay a lower percentage.
That was my point, dope. It only took you three tries to get it. Good job.
Did you get the part where I pointed out that you shouldn't believe rich democrats who piously tell you they want to pay more taxes?
Did you get the part where I pointed out that you shouldn't believe rich democrats who piously tell you they want to pay more taxes?
I did. It’s just irrelevant to the point made. Per usual.
I was enriching your comment because it was lacking. Sounds like you would support a simple flat tax that could be filled out in a few lines and put a bunch of tax attorneys out of work.

Because they want a job, not welfare.

The jobs aren't going to stop going away. Our society is changing.
ROFL! Yes they are, nimrod. No country ever taxed its way to prosperity. Why do you imagine our economic growth has slowed to a crawl? higher taxes stifle growth.
Bullshit. After ww2 fdr put this country back to work by taxing the rich and building our infrastructure, which is now falling apart and we’re broke. So roll back the bush trump and Reagan tax breaks
While you're at it, restore the loopholes Reagan got rid of. Don't forget those.

I will never understand poor people that support the Republicans.

You might if you ever stooped to actually talking to them.
Poor people who support the Republican Party don’t realize all the things democrats do for them. I know two people on disability who voted for trump. Even when I told them he would make cuts to Medicaid. Or my neighbor who has $100,000 in student loan debt. She liked trumps anti immigrant position.

And don’t forget trump gave them a very small tax break so in their minds they are doing better under Trump.

Poor people who support the Republican Party don’t realize all the things democrats do for them. I know two people on disability who voted for trump. Even when I told them he would make cuts to Medicaid. Or my neighbor who has $100,000 in student loan debt. She liked trumps anti immigrant position.

And don’t forget trump gave them a very small tax break so in their minds they are doing better under Trump.

I'll also never understand Republicans that call themselves nationalists. It's very clear that the good of the nation doesn't take priority in their universe.

No, it really wouldn't be. Take a look at any of the countries held up as "shining lights that we must immediately emulate" on the subject of universal healthcare. Can you find one with lower tax rates?

Even aside from that, there's one very important word that you don't seem to understand: VOLUNTARY. Right now, what I do and don't pay for my healthcare, and who I pay it to, is MY choice. I decide who to pay, how much to pay, and what to pay it for, and the only reason I lack as much choice and control on the subject as I currently do is because of government busybody interference. What you are suggesting is that I should surrender all of my control and my choice on this subject to the government in the hopes that - for the first time in the history of humanity - government will somehow manage to be more cost-efficient than the private sector.

I have seen what the government provides in the way of healthcare when they're put in charge. I'm not interested in trading out my current healthcare for that, and I'm definitely not interested in funding the the massive, wasteful, bureaucratic nightmare that is government control of anything.

I'm pretty sure public approval of healthcare is way higher in every country on Earth that has implemented universal healthcare.

I'm pretty sure I don't give a rat's ass what people have been convinced to think about their healthcare system, particularly since most of them have never experienced any other sort of system. Making judgements based on feelings is a leftist thing; I prefer to make my judgements based on facts.

Fact 1: Nations with taxpayer-funded, government-controlled healthcare systems pay vastly higher taxes than the United States.

Fact 2: Those same nations tend to be plagued with less-desirable outcomes which I do not wish to incorporate into my healthcare, such as longer wait times for treatment, healthcare rationing, lower survival rates for serious illnesses such as cancer, and government intrusion into private decisions to a shocking degree.

Fact 3: The United States already has healthcare programs funded by taxes and administered by government bureaucrats, and they are anything but models of inexpensive, caring efficiency.

Also, on a more personal note, my husband had a friend from the UK who had moved to Arizona and was diabetic. British John, as we called him, used to gripe constantly about how much his insulin and supplies were costing him here in the US, as opposed to being "free" back when he was in the UK. Finally, my husband got tired of hearing it and did the math for him. All told, he was paying far less for his health insurance and co-pays for his diabetes than he had been for the taxes to get the "free" UK supplies. The real difference was that in the US, he could actually see the costs instead of having them hidden from him. And he was quite honest about his medical care being as good as or better than it had been back home. We never had to hear another word out of him on the subject after that.

I'll also never understand Republicans that call themselves nationalists. It's very clear that the good of the nation doesn't take priority in their universe.
might be their experience is more than yours and know you are wrong,,,

Only if you assume that "the good of the nation" is only defined as what YOU think it is.

I'm pretty sure I don't give a rat's ass what people have been convinced to think about their healthcare system, particularly since most of them have never experienced any other sort of system. Making judgements based on feelings is a leftist thing; I prefer to make my judgements based on facts.

Fact 1: Nations with taxpayer-funded, government-controlled healthcare systems pay vastly higher taxes than the United States.

Fact 2: Those same nations tend to be plagued with less-desirable outcomes which I do not wish to incorporate into my healthcare, such as longer wait times for treatment, healthcare rationing, lower survival rates for serious illnesses such as cancer, and government intrusion into private decisions to a shocking degree.

Fact 3: The United States already has healthcare programs funded by taxes and administered by government bureaucrats, and they are anything but models of inexpensive, caring efficiency.

Also, on a more personal note, my husband had a friend from the UK who had moved to Arizona and was diabetic. British John, as we called him, used to gripe constantly about how much his insulin and supplies were costing him here in the US, as opposed to being "free" back when he was in the UK. Finally, my husband got tired of hearing it and did the math for him. All told, he was paying far less for his health insurance and co-pays for his diabetes than he had been for the taxes to get the "free" UK supplies. The real difference was that in the US, he could actually see the costs instead of having them hidden from him. And he was quite honest about his medical care being as good as or better than it had been back home. We never had to hear another word out of him on the subject after that.

People in Europe are not living bad lives. Most of them are happy. There are also a lot of benefits to universal healthcare that right wingers never seem to care about.

People in Europe are not living bad lives. Most of them are happy. There are also a lot of benefits to universal healthcare that right wingers never seem to care about.
how would you know?? do you live there??

Only if you assume that "the good of the nation" is only defined as what YOU think it is.

I think making our nation as healthy and educated as possible with the help of taxes is for the good of the nation.
we are well educated and as for healthy,, thats what you get from a welfare country that allows people to sit on their ass and not work for their own existence,,

Forum List

Back