How Old Is The Earth?

6,000 years or 4.1 billion?

Here is one argument .....

How Old Is the Earth?

"The age of the earth debate ultimately comes down to this foundational question: Are we trusting man’s imperfect and changing ideas and assumptions about the past? Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"

Is this a joke thread?

You had me until you mentioned "dark matter" and "dark energy".
How can we claim their existence with zero evidence.....no trails to track, no measurable trace of where it goes or what it does?

Dark matter

Now when astronomers look carefully at a galaxy, they can measure how fast the stars within it are moving. The motions of the stars are the result of the gravitational forces from all the other matter in the galaxy. But here is the key problem: When astronomers add up all the matter in all the stars and gas and dust visible with all different kinds of telescopes, it doesn't total nearly enough to explain the motions they observe. The stars are moving around much faster than they should be! In other words, all the matter we can see is not enough to produce the gravity that is pulling things around. This problem shows up over and over again almost wherever we look in the universe. Not only do stars in galaxies move around faster than expected, but galaxies within groups of galaxies do too. In all cases, there must be something else there, something we can't see, something dark.

http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-marc-space/dark-matter.html

Dark energy

Supernova Factory - CfCP

People who use the Bible rather than science to try to figure out the age of the Earth are sorely misguided.

God doesn't run on man's time, He runs on His own, and since He's eternal, I'm guessing His view of a day is much different than mine.

Me? I prefer science to tell me the facts, and I prefer spirituality to guide what I learn from science in a beneficial and humane manner.

Anybody who believes they have an invisible friend who lives in the sky and who will return floating on a cloud to greet all those who were saved as they rise from their graves is eating too much spicy food. Talk about a major load of bullshit......that's the captain's dreams.

People who use the Bible rather than science to try to figure out the age of the Earth are sorely misguided.

God doesn't run on man's time, He runs on His own, and since He's eternal, I'm guessing His view of a day is much different than mine.

Me? I prefer science to tell me the facts, and I prefer spirituality to guide what I learn from science in a beneficial and humane manner.

Anybody who believes they have an invisible friend who lives in the sky and who will return floating on a cloud to greet all those who were saved as they rise from their graves is eating too much spicy food. Talk about a major load of bullshit......that's the captain's dreams.

Anybody who believes that they are so special that they were randomly constructed out of some primordial, single-celled ooze has been reading too many "I am Special, for Dummies" books.

We were having a completely rational and respectful conversation about what we do and do not know about everything around us and you felt the need to slide in and be insulting.

Unless you were there or you are omniscient you can't categorically dismiss any of our thoughts.

:eusa_hand:

Anybody who believes they have an invisible friend who lives in the sky...

And yet.... THAT is EXACTLY what theoretical physicists believe!

Any responsible adult who honestly believes that 2000 year old made up load of shit is to be pitied:
1 Thessalonians 4:
16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first...just climb right on up outta the dirt!

How Old Is the Earth?

"The age of the earth debate ultimately comes down to this foundational question: Are we trusting man’s imperfect and changing ideas and assumptions about the past? Or are we trusting God’s perfectly accurate eyewitness account of the past, including the creation of the world, Noah’s global flood, and the age of the earth?"

At least 4.5 billion years old.

Anybody who believes that they are so special that they were randomly constructed out of some primordial, single-celled ooze has been reading too many "I am Special, for Dummies" books.

We were having a completely rational and respectful conversation about what we do and do not know about everything around us and you felt the need to slide in and be insulting.

Unless you were there or you are omniscient you can't categorically dismiss any of our thoughts.

:eusa_hand:

The smartest people in the world believe it......only those who were brainwashed with bullshit at a very young age are part of those screwballs. When I was a young man back in the 1950's the Catholics had a saying: "Give Me A Youngster Till They're Ten Years Old And I'll Give You A Catholic For Life!"

Any responsible adult who honestly believes that 2000 year old made up load of shit is to be pitied:
1 Thessalonians 4:
16For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first...just climb right on up outta the dirt!

Well, I am not here to argue theology. I'll leave that for the Christians. Whether you believe in a theological deity creator or a magical multiverse-producing entity beyond the cosmos, it's pretty much the same Flying Spaghetti Monster, isn't it?

overused expression:

Flying Spaghetti Monster

To those that believe and live for God, it's insulting. It's also passé.

1 Thessalonians 4:

Well, I am not here to argue theology. I'll leave that for the Christians. Whether you believe in a theological deity creator or a magical multiverse-producing entity beyond the cosmos, it's pretty much the same Flying Spaghetti Monster, isn't it?

There is a difference......the best justification for agnostics.

Well, in a sense, aren't we ALL agnostics?

I mean... I am a Spiritualist who believes in a Spiritual God. Many people believe in a God... none of us can prove our God's exist. We have faith but we don't know for certain.

How Old Is the Earth?

Is this a joke thread?

Nope. Many people (well, Christians) believe the Earth is only around 6,000 years old (10,000 to 6,000 est.)

Well, in a sense, aren't we ALL agnostics?

I mean... I am a Spiritualist who believes in a Spiritual God. Many people believe in a God... none of us can prove our God's exist. We have faith but we don't know for certain.

Well agnostic is synonymous with skeptic or doubter. Christians are anything BUT that.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Christians believe in their form of proof of God.

"Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things not seen."

So no, we are not all agnostic.....

overused expression:

Flying Spaghetti Monster

To those that believe and live for God, it's insulting. It's also passé.

Yes, I know.. that's why I like to use it on the atheists when I grill them about multiverse theory and other concepts we'll never be able to observe and test.

Well agnostic is synonymous with skeptic or doubter. Christians are anything BUT that.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena...

I understand what you're saying but regardless, you cannot KNOW. You won't know if you are right until you die. An agnostic is not a skeptic or doubter, that would be an atheist. An agnostic takes the position of not knowing for certain and in that aspect, is really no different than any of us.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena...

I understand what you're saying but regardless, you cannot KNOW. You won't know if you are right until you die. An agnostic is not a skeptic or doubter, that would be an atheist. An agnostic takes the position of not knowing for certain and in that aspect, is really no different than any of us.

Some people will insist the KNOW - because God has visibly moved in their lives.
Our entire life is perception. E.g. we can't see the air but can feel it. that sort of thing.....

You're right about the not knowing part but about being different from any of us.....BullShit!!

Mark 16
17 These signs shall follow them that believe: In my name they will pick up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing it will not harm them:

20140226_113914_Kentucky-Snake-Handlers.jpg

Last edited:
Some people will insist the KNOW - because God has visibly moved in their lives. Our entire life is perception. E.g. we can't see the air but can feel it. that sort of thing.
Also, no one has been around to know exactly how old the earth is, but God has given us the brains to figure it out from evidence in the physical world around us. To say that using those clues leads us into error is the same as saying God lies to us, IMO.

Forum List

Back