Zone1 How would you feel about God if he

However, a minority of scientists reject the dark matter hypothesis as implausible. Instead, they believe that the accepted laws of physics are incorrect. According to them, either the laws governing the motion of astronomical objects are wrong, or our theory of gravity doesn’t work on galactic scales. For both conjectures, these researchers have developed an array of new physics theories, governed by different equations than those taught in physics classes.

Both camps — the dark matter proponents and the modified physics community — point to different sets of astronomical data to support their position. And both groups can point to observations that support their conjectures and disfavor the other. While most astronomers embrace the idea of dark matter, there has been one observation that is extremely difficult for the dark matter camp to explain: the distribution of small galaxies surrounding bigger ones.

These smaller galaxies are called “satellite galaxies.” The two explanations — dark matter and modified physics — make different predictions about how satellite galaxies should be arrayed around galaxies like the Milky Way. For the past half century or so, astronomers have known that the observations favor the modified physics camp.

The Milky Way is a spiral galaxy, which means it looks a little like a spinning disk, about 100,000 light-years across and 12,000 light-years thick — essentially a cosmic pizza pan. This is the shape of the visible stars and galaxies. However, dark matter theory says that dark matter is essentially a big, spherical cloud, maybe 700,000 light-years across, with the Milky Way located at the center. Because dark matter is important in galaxy formation, dark matter theory suggests that the satellite galaxies of the Milky Way should also be spherically distributed around it.

On the other hand, if dark matter isn’t real, and the correct explanation for speedily rotating galaxies is that the laws of physics must be modified, scientists predict that the satellite galaxies should orbit the Milky Way in roughly the same plane as the Milky Way — essentially extensions of the Milky Way itself. When astronomers measure the location of the 11 known satellite galaxies of the Milky Way, they find that they are located in the plane of the Milky Way. Furthermore, the observed configuration is very improbable from a dark matter point of view. So, this is a win for the modified-gravity crowd.

Another win for dark matter​

In other words, when the over-emphasis on the Leo satellite galaxies caused by the algorithm is taken into account, along with their temporary alignment in the galactic plane, the observations of the Milky Way’s satellite galaxies are now totally consistent with the dark matter hypothesis.

Granted, a single measurement is not enough to definitively decide the debate. However, it appears that one of the strongest examples of data favoring modified physics and disfavoring dark matter no longer has the impact it once had. Given the broad support by other data for dark matter, this paper has strengthened the case for it.
Maybe but there's amazing evidence for dark matter and dark energy in the CMB. The fact that it baffles them why dark matter and dark energy exists is even more proof of intentionality.

You need to watch How the Universe Works so you realize how little we know. Too little for you to be coming to the conclusions you are coming to. It's what our ignorant ancestors did.

Dark Matter is thought to be the cosmic glue that holds the universe together, yet the search for it continues to eluded scientists today.

New evidence gathered from the latest NASA missions offers fresh leads to experts investigating the mysteries of Pluto and other alien dwarf planets; what they've found is changing everything we know

We don't yet know where the edge of the universe is or what happens there; but thanks to cutting-edge technology and new discoveries, experts might finally reveal the secrets of the phenomena that can be found in deepest reaches of the cosmos.

NASA's Juno spacecraft is part of a cutting-edge mission to explore the mysteries of Jupiter; as this mighty probe is pummeled with deadly radiation, it gathers new data that could change everything we

The universe's stars are dying off faster than new ones are born; using the latest technology, experts investigate the secrets of the last stars of the cosmos and what this stellar apocalypse means for life
Like I said before dark matter and dark energy are even more of a reason to believe in God. And to argue we know little is a ridiculous argument. We have tons of data that shows we live in an implausible universe. One that could have only been created for the intention of producing beings that know and create. We live in a life filled universe because the constant presence of mind made it so.

Dark matter and dark energy are more reasons to believe in the universe was created intentionally. Apparently it's the glue that holds the universe together as it is constantly changing but only affects gravity.
Well that's still being debated. We fall on different sides of the debate. I disagree.

Maybe but there's amazing evidence for dark matter and dark energy in the CMB. The fact that it baffles them why dark matter and dark energy exists is even more proof of intentionality.
Whatever. That's your conclusion. I watch these science shows and they don't say either way. They don't talk about what the facts suggest. And none of the evidence I see tells me that there must be a god. When they have an episode on "must be a creator" or "intentional or unintentional" I'll let you know. They haven't gotten to that subject yet.

Just remember when the Cosmos went there, you guys trashed it. So How the Universe Works only talks about facts and scientific evidence. They often say they/we don't know. I find that refreshing. In those moments you'd say, "MUST BE GOD" but that aint a fact jack.

Well that's still being debated. We fall on different sides of the debate. I disagree.
There's an infinite number of structures of matter that would produce a lifeless universe. There's only one structure of matter that can produce a life filled universe and we live in it. I don't believe that's a coincidence.

Whatever. That's your conclusion. I watch these science shows and they don't say either way. They don't talk about what the facts suggest. And none of the evidence I see tells me that there must be a god. When they have an episode on "must be a creator" or "intentional or unintentional" I'll let you know. They haven't gotten to that subject yet.

Just remember when the Cosmos went there, you guys trashed it. So How the Universe Works only talks about facts and scientific evidence. They often say they/we don't know. I find that refreshing. In those moments you'd say, "MUST BE GOD" but that aint a fact jack.
I doubt the purpose of those shows is to discuss the philosophical implications of a universe beginning, so I'm not surprised they don't discuss it.

There's an infinite number of structures of matter that would produce a lifeless universe. There's only one structure of matter that can produce a life filled universe and we live in it. I don't believe that's a coincidence.
Well it is. I believe.

I doubt the purpose of those shows is to discuss the philosophical implications of a universe beginning, so I'm not surprised they don't discuss it.
When I watch it I'm constantly thinking "what would ding think this suggests".

So I bet scientists never discuss this because it's just a unknowable thing. You can believe what you want. You don't have evidence

Well it is. I believe.
The only explanation that makes sense is that mind rather than being a late outgrowth of the evolution of space and time has always existed and is the source or matrix of the material world. This is a life breeding universe that eventually produced beings that know and create because the constant presence of mind made it so. The physical world is made up of mind stuff.

It is physicists who have expressed most clearly this pervasive relationship between mind and matter, and indeed at times the primacy of mind. Arthur Eddington wrote, “the stuff of the world is mind‑stuff. The mind‑stuff is not spread in space and time." Von Weizsacker stated what he called his “Identity Hypothesis; that consciousness and matter are different aspects of the same reality. In 1952 Wolfgang Pauli said, "the only acceptable point of view appears to be the one that recognizes both sides of reality -- the quantitative and the qualitative, the physical and the psychical -- as compatible with each other, and can embrace them simultaneously . . . It would be most satisfactory of all if physis and psyche (i.e., matter and mind) could be seen as complementary aspects of the same reality."

When I watch it I'm constantly thinking "what would ding think this suggests".

So I bet scientists never discuss this because it's just a unknowable thing. You can believe what you want. You don't have evidence
They stop at philosophy. Philosophically speaking the only thing that can be eternal is something that is unchanging. Scientifically matter and energy cannot be unchanging. So philosophically matter and energy cannot be an eternal source of creating universes. Which logically means whatever the eternal unchanging source is it can't be energy or matter. Hence the only thing left would be consciousness. Everything can be represented by information. Information isn't a material thing. Information is mind stuff and for that reason it is deeply mysterious.

The only explanation that makes sense is that mind rather than being a late outgrowth of the evolution of space and time has always existed and is the source or matrix of the material world. This is a life breeding universe that eventually produced beings that know and create because the constant presence of mind made it so. The physical world is made up of mind stuff.

It is physicists who have expressed most clearly this pervasive relationship between mind and matter, and indeed at times the primacy of mind. Arthur Eddington wrote, “the stuff of the world is mind‑stuff. The mind‑stuff is not spread in space and time." Von Weizsacker stated what he called his “Identity Hypothesis; that consciousness and matter are different aspects of the same reality. In 1952 Wolfgang Pauli said, "the only acceptable point of view appears to be the one that recognizes both sides of reality -- the quantitative and the qualitative, the physical and the psychical -- as compatible with each other, and can embrace them simultaneously . . . It would be most satisfactory of all if physis and psyche (i.e., matter and mind) could be seen as complementary aspects of the same reality."
Yes the only explanation that makes sense to you. Dumb fuck.

Which is when logic based on reasoning comes into play.
Yes I've seen this logic at work. It only makes sense that Adam and Eve were real. If we are all related then that means go back far enough there must be one original man and one original woman. Isn't that rigth?

WRONG!

But that was the logic and common sense religious people use to believe the Adam and Eve story. Today most Christians don't even believe that story. They believe that's just a story.

Yes I've seen this logic at work. It only makes sense that Adam and Eve were real. If we are all related then that means go back far enough there must be one original man and one original woman. Isn't that rigth?

WRONG!

But that was the logic and common sense religious people use to believe the Adam and Eve story. Today most Christians don't even believe that story. They believe that's just a story.
I was still a kid when I read a different perspective of the Adam and Eve story. It was the history of mankind reduced to two characters. 'Adam' even means 'man' and 'Eve' the mother(s) of all. It was the story of the first tribe that produced the offshoot tribes of Cain, Abel, Seth. Note that while a human cannot live for 930 years, it is possible that a tribe or nation can continue on for that long.

It is a story of all the women convincing all the men that knowledge of both good and evil was beneficial overall.

I have also found it interesting that Jewish traditions have thought that the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil was not never to be eaten, it just hadn't ripened enough to be eaten for its full benefits. To this day, some conservative Jews do not eat the fruit produced on a tree its first year.

That leads me to wonder, was it the fruit that wasn't yet quite ripe, or was it mankind who was not quite mature enough to eat of the fruit?

For me, "Adam and Eve" is not just a story. In my opinion it was a brilliantly crafted account, but one whose many meanings may have faded a bit over the passing years.

No, it's the only logical answer. But why are you getting so upset about it? Are you feeling defeated or something?
I's not the only logical answer, dumb fuck. I'm trying to point out the fatal errors in your thinking when you say them.

No wonder you prematurely come to false conclusions.

How would you feel about God if he shown you his powers when you stood before him and he changed into a woman and then several different kinds of animals and then changed back. Would you lose respect for him and act like you do with trans people or would you be in awe of his abilities.
Ya gotta love it when an atheist thinks they have a clever "what if, and if, and if" scenario.

Forum List

Back