I like Gorsuch........I hope he doesn't get the job

If Gorsuch were filling a vacancy during Trumps term, I would support his nomination. He seems like a straight shooter, with strong values, even if they are conservative

But since he is filling a vacancy that occurred during Obama's term, I urge Democrats to take every available action to block filling the vacancy

I agree. What better way to completely destroy the Democrats? Then you can make yourself available to help bring down the GOP. The GOP was going down but the Democrats (needing to be first) destroyed themselves faster.

Republicans have already shown that the voting public does not care if we only have eight judges

If Gorsuch were filling a vacancy during Trumps term, I would support his nomination. He seems like a straight shooter, with strong values, even if they are conservative

But since he is filling a vacancy that occurred during Obama's term, I urge Democrats to take every available action to block filling the vacancy

I agree. What better way to completely destroy the Democrats? Then you can make yourself available to help bring down the GOP. The GOP was going down but the Democrats (needing to be first) destroyed themselves faster.

Republicans have already shown that the voting public does not care if we only have eight judges

:spinner:amiright?

Democrats aren't really in a position (nationwide) to play games.

Obama failed to get the position filled, now according to the Constitution the duty falls on President Trump.

Bullshit.

Obama got to nominate justice fair and square. The justice was an eminently qualified moderate, there was no reason to not nominate him except politics.

Republicans have failed their constitutional duty to consent on the nomenee.

And the question for Democrats is to keep devolving this country with eye-for-eye partisan gridlock warfare or to take the highroad and show feckless Republicans who the grown-ups in the room are and how you really put America first.

The Senate that Obama presented the nomination to ended it's term in Dec of 2016.
I don't recall Obama presenting a nominee to the new Senate in Jan 2017.
Without a nominee in place the duty fell on President Trump.

We already went a year without that seat being filled. No reason to go for the first one offered now.
You won't be getting another choice, moron. Either take Gorsuch are take the nuclear option.

Calm down goober. While the right is run by idiots, I don't think you are the particular idiot that makes that decision.

That's ironic coming from the biggest moron in the forum.

Republicans allowed Barack Obama to confirm TWO Supreme Court nominees early in his Presidency and then stonewalled one late in his second term! The precedence has been set. If you liberals want to hold up a confirmation in Trump's last year...feel free to do so. That way the voters will once again have a hand in the decision. Blocking a confirmation of someone who is eminently qualified in the first two months of a new Presidency is one political party telling the voters to go screw themselves.

Why not be the adult and confirm the man!?!

You damn well know doing what McConnell did when Obama was President will only get the shit throwing monkeys going, so be the damn adult and confirm the pick and move on.

Better battles to be fought than fighting a solid choice by Trump...

The Republicans gambled, and they won. All Hillary had to do was win the election she was "destined to win"

Do you really want the Democrats to force the Republicans to expand the Reid Protocol?

Why not be the adult and confirm the man!?!

You damn well know doing what McConnell did when Obama was President will only get the shit throwing monkeys going, so be the damn adult and confirm the pick and move on.

Better battles to be fought than fighting a solid choice by Trump...

as far as most care

let them die on that hill

it is as a good hill for the democrat party to die on as any

What's really interesting to note in this entire process is that Trump nominated a man who seems more than willing, if not dedicated to following the law...regardless of which party's political feelings get hurt. Note that Trump was not affected in his selection even after Gorsuch openly revealed his dislike of Trump's comment on judges after the 9th circuit judge halted his original immigration order. Trump's choice was for the People...not the party. The character of both men being on display.

That is in stark contrast to the choice for SCOTUS we can rest assured the left would make given the opportunity. While they may deny it on paper, the left would only accept a nominee whose view perfectly aligned with the political agendas of the left. Compromise would not be tolerated. Had Hillary won, it is certain that a hard line leftist who would clearly carry the flag of the left would have been nominated. The law and Constitution be damned.

Such is the difference between right and left.

Republicans allowed Barack Obama to confirm TWO Supreme Court nominees early in his Presidency and then stonewalled one late in his second term! The precedence has been set. If you liberals want to hold up a confirmation in Trump's last year...feel free to do so. That way the voters will once again have a hand in the decision. Blocking a confirmation of someone who is eminently qualified in the first two months of a new Presidency is one political party telling the voters to go screw themselves.

Blocking a confirmation for a year is saying about the same, don't you think? You set the precedent, and proved we can survive without a full court. Why change now?

Blocking a confirmation for a year is saying about the same, don't you think? You set the precedent, and proved we can survive without a full court. Why change now?

I would love for them to block at this point. Then all Republicans have to do is expand the Reid Option to cover SC nominations, and when the next one comes up (if in the next few years) then the dems will be even more powerless.

Why would they blow their load to stop Scalia's seat going to a originalist/conservative? Why not save it for when Kennedy or a LIberal justice is retiring?

The Rats can't "take down" Gorsuch.....Mitch will go nuclear and he'll be confirmed 52-48. If Trump accomplishes nothing else, we'll own the Surpreme Court for the duration of his presidency and do considerable damage to the communist coup of the last 8 years.

In that case. Democrats have forced Republicans hands and now get a brand new precedence thanks to Republicans.....nuclear option

Like I said at the start of the thread. We have a whole new way of selecting judges. It has nothing to do with competence and everything to do with politics

Thanks Republicans
It really doesn't matter. If the Republicans don't do it, the democrats already proved under Obama they will do it (once they are the majority again).

What's really interesting to note in this entire process is that Trump nominated a man who seems more than willing, if not dedicated to following the law...regardless of which party's political feelings get hurt. Note that Trump was not affected in his selection even after Gorsuch openly revealed his dislike of Trump's comment on judges after the 9th circuit judge halted his original immigration order. Trump's choice was for the People...not the party. The character of both men being on display.

That is in stark contrast to the choice for SCOTUS we can rest assured the left would make given the opportunity. While they may deny it on paper, the left would only accept a nominee whose view perfectly aligned with the political agendas of the left. Compromise would not be tolerated. Had Hillary won, it is certain that a hard line leftist who would clearly carry the flag of the left would have been nominated. The law and Constitution be damned.

Such is the difference between right and left.

Same as Garland who never even got a hearing

For four years? Sure, go ahead and give that a shot.

The Rats can't "take down" Gorsuch.....Mitch will go nuclear and he'll be confirmed 52-48. If Trump accomplishes nothing else, we'll own the Surpreme Court for the duration of his presidency and do considerable damage to the communist coup of the last 8 years.

In that case. Democrats have forced Republicans hands and now get a brand new precedence thanks to Republicans.....nuclear option

Like I said at the start of the thread. We have a whole new way of selecting judges. It has nothing to do with competence and everything to do with politics

Thanks Republicans
It really doesn't matter. If the Republicans don't do it, the democrats already proved under Obama they will do it (once they are the majority again).

Both parties had a really nice system for selecting justices....devoid of politics

Afraid you cannot unbreak an egg

Who cares?

The voters don't

Who cares?

The voters don't

Blocking a SCOTUS judge for four years? I think they might.....

Thanks Republicans

Both parties had a really nice system for selecting justices....devoid of politics

Afraid you cannot unbreak an egg
The egg was cracked when the democrats went nuclear for other presidential appointments.

It really wouldn't matter if the justice were appointed by a democrat president or a republican president if they both would seek out justices that simply interpret the law and the constitution as written and as originally intended. After all, lady liberty is suppose to be blind, or at least blindfolded.

However, many people believe that judges should shape the law (because they believe the constitution is a living and evolving document) into what the law should be, not necessarily how it was originally written and intended. Thus, these judges are guilty of "legislating from the bench".

Forum List

Back