If The Economy Is So Great Why Can't Most People Miss One Paycheck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because far to many people don't know how to manage money or how to live within there means if you can't or wont do this your going to be in financial peril no matter what the economy is like.

I don't know if it's that so much or that we conditioned people to believe somebody will always bail them out. We no longer live in a world of working or starving. Somehow, somewhere there is a program for everybody in the event of failure.

So how many younger people do you know today that work a lot of hours or have two jobs? That's what we did years ago. I know or am familiar with very few. One of them is my nephew, but he's in his early 30's still living at home with his mother. He has a Masters degree and is trying to payoff college loans. I think a lot of younger people find themselves in that situation today because we have way more people going to college than years ago, and even then, college was affordable back then.
Keep in mind that a lot of the "unemployment" among young people is due to job changes. And yes, there are plenty of young people that have two jobs. One of my granddaughters is going to college and has two jobs now. One of my daughters is raising 3 kids on her own and has 2 jobs. Often a second job is a necessity for young people because many jobs today are part time and temp.

The other day, I was talking to the girl that was cleaning our condo. She's in college in her second year majoring in Fine Arts. I ask what she planned to do with her degree. She said, she had no idea where she might get a job but anything would better than cleaning houses and raising her kids on welfare. I think there are a lot of kids like this. They don't have the aptitude or background to get an education that leads to really good paying jobs so they get an education in something that they hope will just help them get a job with possibilities, at least something better than scrubbing floors and toilets.

There is truth to that. My niece wanted to go to college to be a marine biologist. Asked her why, and she said she loved dolphins. It took a little doing, but we explained to her that when she wants to see dolphins, go to Sea World. In the meantime, learn something that will land you a career.

She graduated with a biology degree, and she's still waiting tables at a restaurant in Florida.
And that is the problem with Higher education today. It is like a burger flipper, there are too many kids graduating from college with massive debts, while one of my friends who happens to be black, opened a trade school, where kids can get dirty learning about construction, heating and air conditioning, plumbing and other high paying skills where the need is great. Supply and demand, you have too many "educated" people the demand is down, you dont have too many brick layers, welders, the demand is high, so is the pay...
I think a lot depends on what you like to do. I worked in construction for 3 years full time and worked summers in college. I hated it. I don't like working outside in freezing weather or on roofs when when it's hundred degrees. I prefer to work with my brains instead of my hands. As I said, it all depends on what you like. As long as you don't have to do work you hate and unfortunately that is exactly what happens to many people that don't get an education.

There is value in a college degree that transcends just getting your first job. In college you get a broad base of knowledge on which to build. It teaches you to solve more of life's problems. It gives you future reference points for discussing art, entertainment, politics, economics. You learn how to communicate with people at all different levels and different mediums. You learn how to write and most of all you learn to study. Over the long term it will pay off.

When it comes to life time earnings, you are far better off with a college degree. On average, those who have a college degree earn almost twice as much as those who do not. According to the U.S. Census Bureau. Completing college is huge. Over a life-time, a college degree is generally worth almost a million dollars. That's money that can be used for saving, for fun, for whatever. The financial benefits of a college education are significant, and they're very real.

The economy is only doing well if you are in the top 10%. For everybody else, not so much.

The same reason Donald has gone bankrupt over and over. Reckless spending behaviors and general stupidity.

Speaking of general stupidity, how do you call "over and over again" when the number is actually five bankruptcies after owning or operating over 550 companies?

And you know damn well that all those companies are nothing more than pieces of paper. Having 500 passthrough LLCs doesn't mean you actually own 500 businesses. It simply means you have 500 complicated loopholes to use for tax and debt dodging.

It makes no difference. Find me any other business person who owned and operated that amount of companies and only had five bankruptcies.

:lol: Was that supposed to have a coherent meaning? Even for me, pissing in your own face is not sexy.

Because far to many people don't know how to manage money or how to live within there means if you can't or wont do this your going to be in financial peril no matter what the economy is like.

I don't know if it's that so much or that we conditioned people to believe somebody will always bail them out. We no longer live in a world of working or starving. Somehow, somewhere there is a program for everybody in the event of failure.

So how many younger people do you know today that work a lot of hours or have two jobs? That's what we did years ago. I know or am familiar with very few. One of them is my nephew, but he's in his early 30's still living at home with his mother. He has a Masters degree and is trying to payoff college loans. I think a lot of younger people find themselves in that situation today because we have way more people going to college than years ago, and even then, college was affordable back then.
Keep in mind that a lot of the "unemployment" among young people is due to job changes. And yes, there are plenty of young people that have two jobs. One of my granddaughters is going to college and has two jobs now. One of my daughters is raising 3 kids on her own and has 2 jobs. Often a second job is a necessity for young people because many jobs today are part time and temp.

The other day, I was talking to the girl that was cleaning our condo. She's in college in her second year majoring in Fine Arts. I ask what she planned to do with her degree. She said, she had no idea where she might get a job but anything would better than cleaning houses and raising her kids on welfare. I think there are a lot of kids like this. They don't have the aptitude or background to get an education that leads to really good paying jobs so they get an education in something that they hope will just help them get a job with possibilities, at least something better than scrubbing floors and toilets.

There is truth to that. My niece wanted to go to college to be a marine biologist. Asked her why, and she said she loved dolphins. It took a little doing, but we explained to her that when she wants to see dolphins, go to Sea World. In the meantime, learn something that will land you a career.

She graduated with a biology degree, and she's still waiting tables at a restaurant in Florida.
And that is the problem with Higher education today. It is like a burger flipper, there are too many kids graduating from college with massive debts, while one of my friends who happens to be black, opened a trade school, where kids can get dirty learning about construction, heating and air conditioning, plumbing and other high paying skills where the need is great. Supply and demand, you have too many "educated" people the demand is down, you dont have too many brick layers, welders, the demand is high, so is the pay...
I think a lot depends on what you like to do. I worked in construction for 3 years full time and worked summers in college. I hated it. I don't like working outside in freezing weather or on roofs when when it's hundred degrees. I prefer to work with my brains instead of my hands. As I said, it all depends on what you like. As long as you don't have to do work you hate and unfortunately that is exactly what happens to many people that don't get an education.

There is value in a college degree that transcends just getting your first job. In college you get a broad base of knowledge on which to build. It teaches you to solve more of life's problems. It gives you future reference points for discussing art, entertainment, politics, economics. You learn how to communicate with people at all different levels and different mediums. You learn how to write and most of all you learn to study. Over the long term it will pay off.

When it comes to life time earnings, you are far better off with a college degree. On average, those who have a college degree earn almost twice as much as those who do not. According to the U.S. Census Bureau. Completing college is huge. Over a life-time, a college degree is generally worth almost a million dollars. That's money that can be used for saving, for fun, for whatever. The financial benefits of a college education are significant, and they're very real.

Perhaps in your days but less today. By the time you graduate college, get a job, start earning money, it's time to payoff your loans which could take many years and even past a decade. Compare that to a blue-collar worker who starts earning money at the age of 18, doesn't acquire massive debt, and if smart enough, saves or invests money during that time.

When I was my nephews age, I purchased the rental property I was renting at. I was on my own since the age of 20. My nephew? He's still paying off loans and living with his mother now entering his mid 30s.

If his mother were not alive, or otherwise deny him the ability to live with her, he'd probably be repaying his college loans into his mid 40's. While he makes much more money than I do, it would take him nearly to retirement to catch up to me.

The economy is only doing well if you are in the top 10%. For everybody else, not so much.

The same reason Donald has gone bankrupt over and over. Reckless spending behaviors and general stupidity.

Speaking of general stupidity, how do you call "over and over again" when the number is actually five bankruptcies after owning or operating over 550 companies?

And you know damn well that all those companies are nothing more than pieces of paper. Having 500 passthrough LLCs doesn't mean you actually own 500 businesses. It simply means you have 500 complicated loopholes to use for tax and debt dodging.

It makes no difference. Find me any other business person who owned and operated that amount of companies and only had five bankruptcies.

:lol: Was that supposed to have a coherent meaning? Even for me, pissing in your own face is not sexy.

How is that pissing in my own face? The truth of the matter is Trump has been a very successful businessman. Again, he has owned or operated over 550 businesses and is a multi-billionaire. You call that "reckless spending and general stupidity," I call that great success. Which one of us is correct?

Perhaps in your days but less today. By the time you graduate college, get a job, start earning money, it's time to payoff your loans which could take many years and even past a decade. Compare that to a blue-collar worker who starts earning money at the age of 18, doesn't acquire massive debt, and if smart enough, saves or invests money during that time.

When I was my nephews age, I purchased the rental property I was renting at. I was on my own since the age of 20. My nephew? He's still paying off loans and living with his mother now entering his mid 30s.

If his mother were not alive, or otherwise deny him the ability to live with her, he'd probably be repaying his college loans into his mid 40's. While he makes much more money than I do, it would take him nearly to retirement to catch up to me.
Sorry this post is so long and probably off topic.
She should certainly be able to get a job with a Biology degree. It's consider a STEM profession which means there is high demand. My grand daughter is in her 3rd year of biology and has a lab job paying more than she made as a waitress.
The average college debt is 28,500. That's a lot of debt for a kid just starting out but in comparison to what college is worth over a lifetime it's not much at all.

Yes, there are kids with over a hundred thousand in debt but this is certainly not the norm. It you look at those students you'll usually find they have:
  • Gone to expensive schools and lost financial aid and scholarships due to low grades or had substantial increases in family income.
  • Taken out additional college loans to pay for for personal expenses, off campus housings, foreign study, auto expenses, ect.
  • Taken on post graduate degrees such law or medicine.
  • Many students are unsure of their major and by the time they decide, they have added two years to their 4 year degree, doubling their college expenses.
Unlike high school grads, most kids that graduate from college today need a salary well above minimum wage. Unfortunately they don't have the specific jobs skills and experience employers are looking for so they have to settle for lower salaries while they get those skills and experience. Thus we see the internet full of recommendations to skip college and become a plumber or whatever.

However, once the college grad gets the specific job skills and experience they need, they become in demand because they not only have specific job skills but have skills they have learned in college such as problem solving, professional writing, foreign languages, general knowledge in many fields such as politics, government, economic, finance, history, ect which make them valuable employees as they move up the ladder. The result is their college degree begins to payoff and they advance rapidly compared to a high school graduate.

Here is a real life example from my own family. My nephew graduated in anthropology and he had college a debt of about $18,000. Since there were practically no jobs in the field, he went back to school and got a Masters in Library Science which took just over a year which brought his debt up $26,000 but he was able to get a job in a public library making a bit less than teachers but enough to live on. After two years he went to work for the goverment as a research librarian. After a year he got a job with Google in the information architecture. He got some additional training they paid for and after 2 years he went to work for a consultant that did information system design. 3 years year later he went to work for a multinational as a department head in their information design department. His salary now is over $170,000 and his college degree was paid off years ago.

What Is the Average Student Loan Debt After College? | Credible

Last edited:

because people do not know how to save and we live in an instant gratification society. 75 to 80 percent of the country lives paycheck to paycheck, no matter how the economy is doing.

I agree.

But there is a reason people have become that way. And the reason is the government and the Federal reserve clearly wanted them to.

Ever since about 2001, the government/Fed have kept interest rates extremely low historically. And then once the Great Recession hit, they decided they were going to bail out almost everyone. And they have bailed out any corporations/bank that needed it and encouraged banks/companies to extent credit to people/corporations. And this cheap debt has allowed corporations to buyback GIGANTIC amounts of stock.
And this is what has caused the stock markets to skyrocket since 2009. Not a solid economy (because it is not solid), but the knowledge that the Fed has the economy's 'back' and will do whatever it has to to keep the party going. And since corporations know this - then they can buyback huge amounts of stock which raises their stock price and makes their bottom lines look good...without having to do much else.
And it has been going on virtually all over the world - certainly the developed world.

fredgraph.png

The above chart shows that money is not moving...and it is not moving at the lowest levels in generations...by far. Cheap debt has taken the place of existing money. Since people don't have much money, when they want something, they just go out and get more cheap debt.

The problem with this is two-fold.
1) All that GINORMOUS amount of debt has to get serviced eventually. The party cannot go on forever.
2) It is making the distance between the rich and the rest FAR larger because the wealthy can access massive amounts of debt, throw it into a stock market virtually guaranteed to rise and just get richer and richer.
And the rest get left behind...and get more and more bitter as their standards of living slowly decline relative to the economy as solid economic fundamentals are punished and taking out HUGE amounts of debt is rewarded.

It's an INCREDIBLY lazy way to run an economy. And it's going to bite someone in the butt eventually.

But so long as the central banks in the world can keep finding new ways to stimulate the stock markets - the game can continue.

The shit is hitting the fan....I get to work with people that are basically the 1% of this country and most of them agree, that things are gonna get ugly....It already started with housing market, if it didn't hit your area yet, is just a matter of time....major retail stores are closing down and tariffs will make it a lot worse....for the first time in decades I had clients from the U.K telling me that goods, food and other stuff in the US are much expensive in the US.
I never cared for politics, but it seems that everytime a democratic president leaves a good economy, a republican comes and destroys it.

Anecdotally, I'll claim the housing bone is connected to the debt bone, which is held together by the construction ligament.

All of which is either running the 50yr dash, or convalescing in a wheelchair

The Fed's 'doctors' dictating who gets a seat when the musical debt fascade stops

~S~

How is that pissing in my own face? The truth of the matter is Trump has been a very successful businessman. Again, he has owned or operated over 550 businesses and is a multi-billionaire. You call that "reckless spending and general stupidity," I call that great success. Which one of us is correct?
Trump was handed millions by Daddy. M i l l i o n s. Not to mention a name that was good at the time.

If Trump had done nothing but invest the 'small loan' his father gave him, he'd still be worth about $2 billion today

I'm not sure which is more embarrassing: Trump's behaviors or that of his obedient fans.

Sorry this post is so long and probably off topic.
She should certainly be able to get a job with a Biology degree. It's consider a STEM profession which means there is high demand. My grand daughter is in her 3rd year of biology and has a lab job paying more than she made as a waitress.
The average college debt is 28,500. That's a lot of debt for a kid just starting out but in comparison to what college is worth over a lifetime it's not much at all.

Yes, there are kids with over a hundred thousand in debt but this is certainly not the norm. It you look at those students you'll usually find they have:
  • Gone to expensive schools and lost financial aid and scholarships due to low grades or had substantial increases in family income.
  • Taken out additional college loans to pay for for personal expenses, off campus housings, foreign study, auto expenses, ect.
  • Taken on post graduate degrees such law or medicine.
  • Many students are unsure of their major and by the time they decide, they have added two years to their 4 year degree, doubling their college expenses.
Unlike high school grads, most kids that graduate from college today need a salary well above minimum wage. Unfortunately they don't have the specific jobs skills and experience employers are looking for so they have to settle for lower salaries while they get those skills and experience. Thus we see the internet full of recommendations to skip college and become a plumber or whatever.

However, once the college grad gets the specific job skills and experience they need, they become in demand because they not only have specific job skills but have skills they have learned in college such as problem solving, professional writing, foreign languages, general knowledge in many fields such as politics, government, economic, finance, history, ect which make them valuable employees as they move up the ladder. The result is their college degree begins to payoff and they advance rapidly compared to a high school graduate.

Here is a real life example from my own family. My nephew graduated in anthropology and he had college a debt of about $18,000. Since there were practically no jobs in the field, he went back to school and got a Masters in Library Science which took just over a year which brought his debt up $26,000 but he was able to get a job in a public library making a bit less than teachers but enough to live on. After two years he went to work for the goverment as a research librarian. After a year he got a job with Google in the information architecture. He got some additional training they paid for and after 2 years he went to work for a consultant that did information system design. 3 years year later he went to work for a multinational as a department head in their information design department. His salary now is over $170,000 and his college degree was paid off years ago.

What Is the Average Student Loan Debt After College? | Credible

Correct, she would do fine if she could get her foot in the door. Thats' the trick. She had high grades all during college, and she went to visit my cousin up in Maryland who was a supervisor in the lab. She couldn't even help my niece. My cousin was extremely impressed on how much she knew and had very high hopes for her. My niece moved to Florida because she had a better shot at getting a job in a lab. No luck after several years.

The big question is if it's worth the expense of college and do you make out in the long run? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no.

The big question is if it's worth the expense of college and do you make out in the long run? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no

It's a fair Q Ray

Which ends up a STEM debate

Consider , some domestic medical students have six zero's of debt entering our HC arena

Meanwhile we're reciprocating foreign medical students on in, from socialist countries that paid for their education....

One asks a lot less than the other......One gains citizenship , while the other is a natural citizen.....

Who do you think hosptial administrators hire?

~S~

I have never denied that Capitalism had a natural rate of unemployment, of course it does that is why 4% is considered full employment.

We differ on if it is a bad thing and what should be done about it.
You miss the point. We have a "natural rate of unemployment for the bottom line of capitalists" not the People.

The People would prefer a natural rate of employment for the People.

We are all capitalists, or if you have more than half a brain you are.

Also, if there is a natural rate of unemployment, there has to be a corresponding natural rate of employment.
Why is there any homeless problem in "Right to Work" States.

Not everyone wants to work, not everyone is willing to do what it takes to better themselves, not everyone has the skills needed for the jobs that are there.
Unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed would solve that dilemma.

There is no dilemma, and paying someone for simply being unemployed just gives people more reason to stay that way.

because people do not know how to save and we live in an instant gratification society. 75 to 80 percent of the country lives paycheck to paycheck, no matter how the economy is doing.

I agree.

But there is a reason people have become that way. And the reason is the government and the Federal reserve clearly wanted them to.

Ever since about 2001, the government/Fed have kept interest rates extremely low historically. And then once the Great Recession hit, they decided they were going to bail out almost everyone. And they have bailed out any corporations/bank that needed it and encouraged banks/companies to extent credit to people/corporations. And this cheap debt has allowed corporations to buyback GIGANTIC amounts of stock.
And this is what has caused the stock markets to skyrocket since 2009. Not a solid economy (because it is not solid), but the knowledge that the Fed has the economy's 'back' and will do whatever it has to to keep the party going. And since corporations know this - then they can buyback huge amounts of stock which raises their stock price and makes their bottom lines look good...without having to do much else.
And it has been going on virtually all over the world - certainly the developed world.

fredgraph.png

The above chart shows that money is not moving...and it is not moving at the lowest levels in generations...by far. Cheap debt has taken the place of existing money. Since people don't have much money, when they want something, they just go out and get more cheap debt.

The problem with this is two-fold.
1) All that GINORMOUS amount of debt has to get serviced eventually. The party cannot go on forever.
2) It is making the distance between the rich and the rest FAR larger because the wealthy can access massive amounts of debt, throw it into a stock market virtually guaranteed to rise and just get richer and richer.
And the rest get left behind...and get more and more bitter as their standards of living slowly decline relative to the economy as solid economic fundamentals are punished and taking out HUGE amounts of debt is rewarded.

It's an INCREDIBLY lazy way to run an economy. And it's going to bite someone in the butt eventually.

But so long as the central banks in the world can keep finding new ways to stimulate the stock markets - the game can continue.

The above chart shows that money is not moving...

Such a BS statistic. It's a plug factor, best ignored. Useless for predicting future activity.

The big question is if it's worth the expense of college and do you make out in the long run? Sometimes yes, and sometimes no

It's a fair Q Ray

Consider , some domestic medical students have six zero's of debt entering our HC arena

Meanwhile we're reciprocating foreign medical students on in, from socialist countries that paid for their education....

One asks a lot less than the other......One gains citizenship , while the other is a natural citizen.....

~S~

I guess that would depend on what line of work you’re in. If you’re a registered nurse, they will hire anybody and everybody. There has been a shortage of nurses for the past few decades.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Assumes facts not in evidence.

You know fuckwad traitor, the middle class has seen gains in the last two years for the first time in decades.

You democrats are dedicated to putting an end to that.

Under Obama the income gap got much larger then than it is today. Yet the libfucks didnt complain about Obama's economy which was creating 4.5 trillion FAUX dollars that make the Uber liberal rich people even richer...Why is that?

He had a recession to turn around. And, the rich were too big to fail.

special pleading in a vacuum is all the right wing does.

It's a fair Q Ray

~S~

I guess that would depend on what line of work you’re in. If you’re a registered nurse, they will hire anybody and everybody. There has been a shortage of nurses for the past few decades.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

You are correct, nurses are always in demand. My daughter had 3 interviews and 3 job offers within 3 weeks of graduating school and taking her NCLEX. Good nurses are hard to find.

So you’re just going to ignore the basic facts about the cost of living all over the country? For a matter of perspective, the well-paid engineers working for Google cant afford to live by themselves and must roommate in groups because the cost of living in San Francisco is astronomical in comparison.

So you’re just going to ignore the basic facts about the cost of living all over the country? For a matter of perspective, the well-paid engineers working for Google cant afford to live by themselves and must roommate in groups because the cost of living in San Francisco is astronomical in comparison.

Then do not live in SanFran.

What am I supposed to do about the high cost of living in SanFran?

For that matter...why is the cost of living there so high?

Lol living somewhere cheap and making a comfortable living is relatively rare if you are in the bottom 90% of earners.

Lol living somewhere cheap and making a comfortable living is relatively rare if you are in the bottom 90% of earners.

Then get out of the 90%. My wife and I went from the 2nd 20% to the top 10% of income earners in less than 5 years. It can be done with some hard work and determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back