Ignorant Homophobes fined $13,000 for refusing to host wedding

wtf? I am for gays being allowed to marry...but since when are businesses FORCED to accept their lifestyle when they clearly wish not to? Why don't gays help other gays by doing business with those who cater to the public such as weddings, cakes, birthday parties, etc? Why are people fined or harassed if they don't want to participate in something they do not believe in???

The problem is that if we allow people to say they won't do business with gays because they don't agree with their lifestyle, that leaves the door open to not doing business with people because of race, age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, etc. It will create an apartheid nation, sanctioned by the government. That's unacceptable.

Then those businesses will go belly up, won't they? Its none of the governments business. FORCING someone to accept something they frown on is unacceptable as well. Can farmers be sued if some schmuck tells them they want to buy their sheep for sex? Is that next?

wtf? I am for gays being allowed to marry...but since when are businesses FORCED to accept their lifestyle when they clearly wish not to? Why don't gays help other gays by doing business with those who cater to the public such as weddings, cakes, birthday parties, etc? Why are people fined or harassed if they don't want to participate in something they do not believe in???

Probably for the same reason we don't put up with lunch counters refusing to serve black folks.

For once, I'd like to see a conservative expression of 'freedom' that doesn't involve treating others like pieces of shit.

The problem is that if we allow people to say they won't do business with gays because they don't agree with their lifestyle, that leaves the door open to not doing business with people because of race, age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, etc. It will create an apartheid nation, sanctioned by the government. That's unacceptable.

Point taken, but at the same time, shouldn't business owners be allowed to do business with whom they choose to some extent? And if so to what extent?

Depends on the business. If they're open to the public, they have to serve the public. 'We don't serve your kind here' isn't generally accepted as legally valid reasoning.

"We have the right to refuse service to anyone". I used it in my shop. Maybe things have changed. If so...I feel sorry for business owners.

Point taken, but at the same time, shouldn't business owners be allowed to do business with whom they choose to some extent? And if so to what extent?

Depends on the business. If they're open to the public, they have to serve the public.

But surely there are some exceptions, even there? Ejecting a rowdy drunk from a bar, "no shoes, no shirt, no service", jacket and tie dress codes, etc. Where does one draw the line? Especially when you consider religious freedom is protected by the Bill of Rights?

To me it's not an especially simple issue and I think both sides have valid cases to be made.

Where is the line drawn?
When all parties practice tolerance. ALL parties.

"We have the right to refuse service to anyone". I used it in my shop. Maybe things have changed. If so...I feel sorry for business owners.

Indeed, these days an old pub owner can't even legally smoke cigarettes in his own place of business in many states.
Including mine. All of a sudden, the bowling alleys went broke and most bars scrambled in building outside patios for smokers. I don't own a business any more. I'm glad I don't.

If you had used that sign to refuse service to people based on race or religion, you'd have been breaking the law. Any business doing that would have been and still would be breaking the law.

NY Farm That Refused To Host Lesbian Wedding Fined $13,000

Liberty Ridge Farm's owners, citing constitutional rights to free speech and religious freedom, have appealed the August ruling by the Division of Human Rights that they violated state anti-discrimination law.

Their attorney said Robert and Cynthia Gifford paid the $10,000 state civil penalty and $1,500 each to Melisa and Jennie McCarthy, whose 2013 wedding they declined to host. The Giffords testified last year that in their Christian beliefs, marriage is between a man and a woman, and the ceremonies are held at their home, a private space where their own rights should be determinate.

Good!

We hurt them in the pocketbook and we shame them in the media.

There is a dark and twisted version of Christianity being practiced in the U.S. They throw love and tolerance over for fear and ignorance, clinging to one archaic hebrew tribal law.

Let the fags go get married in some freak circus show or something. Maybe the bearded lady can play the piano?

-Geaux

NY Farm That Refused To Host Lesbian Wedding Fined $13,000

Liberty Ridge Farm's owners, citing constitutional rights to free speech and religious freedom, have appealed the August ruling by the Division of Human Rights that they violated state anti-discrimination law.

Their attorney said Robert and Cynthia Gifford paid the $10,000 state civil penalty and $1,500 each to Melisa and Jennie McCarthy, whose 2013 wedding they declined to host. The Giffords testified last year that in their Christian beliefs, marriage is between a man and a woman, and the ceremonies are held at their home, a private space where their own rights should be determinate.

Good!

We hurt them in the pocketbook and we shame them in the media.

There is a dark and twisted version of Christianity being practiced in the U.S. They throw love and tolerance over for fear and ignorance, clinging to one archaic hebrew tribal law.
I guess this isn't a free country anymore.

Now you know why you Democrats lost in the election, and it will only keep getting worse for you. I understand and accept those who practice the gay lifestyle. I figure it's none of my business, but now you want to literally cram it down our throats, and there is where you have gone off the rails.

I'm trying to see where the dark and twisted comment comes from. In fact, you're turning what is moral into something dark and twisted, essentially criminalizing religion. Why do you even bother with marriage in the first place, because if it's based on religious vows according to you it's dark and twisted.

To be honest, any church that conducts gay-marriages is practically throwing their doctrine out the window and encouraging sinful lifestyles. Being forced to do so is strictly against the Constitution. Congress cannot make any laws against the free expression of religion, so you folks do it at the local level. These rights are guaranteed under the Constitution and as long as this country follows the constitution, no oppressive local government can withstand any challenge to these abuses. It's just a matter of taking it to the Supreme Court to rectify this travesty. Unfortunately it will take time.

My solution to this is for you to take your marriage requests to someone who supports your lifestyle and stop stepping all over everyone else in the process.

Last edited:
Awe, isn't this special. Two queers playing house. In my eyes, there is no gay marriage, never no matter what happens. They are just playing house.

All those who think Hazel is on to something consider this. Hazel is like most liberals if you disagree that doesn't mean you have any sort of real gripe it means you are mentally distrubted. After all in Hazel's mind she is always right, just like all liberals are always so sure but always so wrong.

So what will happen is exactly the opposite of the stated intent of the liberals. These cases will go to the supreme court and they will rule the hell yes a person has personal freedom that does not have to be explained to people like Hazel. That these people can hold religious believes contrary to Hazel's And in fact it is people like Hazel that are problem. It always happens with things liberal, the opposite result of the stated intent.

Awe, isn't this special. Two queers playing house. In my eyes, there is no gay marriage, never no matter what happens. They are just playing house.

Me thinks that people have forgotten, or pretend to have forgotten the real purpose of marriage.

Me thinks that people have forgotten, or pretend to have forgotten the real purpose of marriage.
Right they demand we accept it, they got the courts on their side. As always as individuals we don't have to accept it, and if we don't. They lose, so in my eyes no matter what. It's two queers playing house, like little kids.

No, it wouldn't because most businesses wouldn't even dream of doing something like that.

Government has to be neutral. maybe even certain essential industries such as hotels, groceries, private hospitals, etc. But national commerce is not impacted by a farm not wanting to host a gay wedding, just like national commerce is not impacted by some bar in West Bumblefuck Arkansas saying it doesn't want to serve blacks.

Any gay couple got the balls to ask to get married in a Mosque? I haven't heard of one lesbian or homosexual couple demanding to be married in a Mosque.

Any one?

A mosque is a religious place of worship which is exempt from public accommodation laws.

No church has ever been forced to perform a wedding that goes against the tenants of their faith. Churches were never forced to perform marriages for interracial couples but they certainly do have public accommodation protections. Do you resent those?

Forum List

Back