Income of Richest 100 Enough to End Global Poverty Four Times Over

Here's another:

"Millions of Americans knowingly lie on their tax forms. The government loses out on roughly $300 billion a year in unpaid taxes."

But you already knew that.

The American Tax Cheat

Then shame on the government. They know all these people lie and they don't collect the taxes.
Remember Leona?

"billionaire Leona Helmsley's remark, quoted by her housekeeper, that 'we don't pay taxes; only the little people pay taxes.'"

COLUMN-Ignoring tax cheats: David Cay Johnston | Reuters

Uh. She went to jail for tax evasion.

What's your point?

If only....

150857_585680514790962_1845410047_n.jpg

A fictious character on a tv show said this. Also, comes from a guy that photon torpedoed a ton of Klingons.

He also had replicators so he could just make what whatever he needed/wanted out of nothing - and had a holodeck to make his fantasies come true. It's easy not to need money in such a fantasy world.

Ahead of the global elite meeting in Davos next week, Oxfam is asking the rich to remember the fact that "...political equality is meaningless in the face of economic inequality."

"The 100 richest people in the world earned enough last year to end extreme poverty suffered by the poorest on the planet four times over, Oxfam has said.

"Ahead of next week's World Economic Forum in Switzerland, the charity urged world leaders to tackle inequality.

"Extreme wealth was 'economically inefficient, politically corrosive, socially divisive', the report said.

"The global economic system required reform so that it worked 'in the interests of the whole of humanity'".

BBC News - Oxfam seeks 'new deal' on inequality from world leaders

The dirty little secret is that the radical left really believes that people live in poverty because other people are wealthy. Think about it. Why do "people live in poverty" in thousand year old civilizations when a 250 year old Nation is the world's last super power? I'll give you a hint...freedom. People live in poverty because they live under corrupt regimes that limit freedom. The ironic thing is that the bar scene from Star Wars aka the UN security council is part of the problem instead of the solution. Why do people die in the desert to get to the US? Because anyone can get rich in the greatest Nation in the world. Why are people in the Mid-East living in dirt and eating camel dung after thousands of years? Figure it out.

Here's another:

"Millions of Americans knowingly lie on their tax forms. The government loses out on roughly $300 billion a year in unpaid taxes."

But you already knew that.

The American Tax Cheat

Bunch of fucking asshole wanting to keep their own money and not get robbed at gunpoint by the government.

I don't know where you guys get this whole "robbed at gunpoint" thing. They can seize your property if you continue to live in the states without paying taxes, but that's just about it. :doubt:

And how are they going to take that property? With gun-wielding police.

If we took all of their money and divided it up among the world's poor, do you think it would make any long term difference?

NO, but I think if we took that money and created education and jobs that provided a living wage for them it would make a long term difference, until the worlds greedy got in control again.

How is that working out so far? Education subsidies are enormous, nobody is too poor to go to college, and there is still a problem with poverty and poor financial management.

If only....

150857_585680514790962_1845410047_n.jpg

A fictious character on a tv show said this. Also, comes from a guy that photon torpedoed a ton of Klingons.

He also had replicators so he could just make what whatever he needed/wanted out of nothing - and had a holodeck to make his fantasies come true. It's easy not to need money in such a fantasy world.

Note how he eschewed the accumulation of wealth but not the luxurious lifestyle that came with his command. When did the Engineering Tech ever get to use the holodeck? How big was the stateroom for the lower levels of crew? Oh yeah, only officers got staterooms. The lower ranks got bunks just like the Navy today.

Ahead of the global elite meeting in Davos next week, Oxfam is asking the rich to remember the fact that "...political equality is meaningless in the face of economic inequality."

"The 100 richest people in the world earned enough last year to end extreme poverty suffered by the poorest on the planet four times over, Oxfam has said.

"Ahead of next week's World Economic Forum in Switzerland, the charity urged world leaders to tackle inequality.

"Extreme wealth was 'economically inefficient, politically corrosive, socially divisive', the report said.

"The global economic system required reform so that it worked 'in the interests of the whole of humanity'".

Do they have numbers to back that up, or are we supposed to take their word for it because Oxfam is a cool name?
Here's a PDF with links.

http://www.oxfam.org/sites/www.oxfam.org/files/cost-of-inequality-oxfam-mb180113.pdf

You could have saved me the trouble of reading that and just told me that their name is cool.

Note how he eschewed the accumulation of wealth but not the luxurious lifestyle that came with his command. When did the Engineering Tech ever get to use the holodeck? How big was the stateroom for the lower levels of crew? Oh yeah, only officers got staterooms. The lower ranks got bunks just like the Navy today.

Rather like Obama living like a billionaire on the taxpayer's trillions.

Barkley was an Engineering Tech and he used the holodeck so much he had to have counseling. And in the episode where they found Scotty from the original Trek they gave him luxurious quarters and he asked "Where have you put me?" and he was told those quarters were standard on that ship. Did you even watch the show?

Last edited:
It could be encouraged, dreamed of, worked for, but instead we get the greedy bastards that do everything they can to see such a world never exists. The one's who really believe that the rich are better than the poor for the simple reason that they have more money.
As long as the greedy bastards own government it's hard to see why they would ever feel the need to change unless there's a Great Depression 2.0 in our future. I certainly don't see any way to bring about real change at the ballot box by "choosing" between Republican OR Democrat. Eternal war and endless debt seem to drive the US economy, and very few of us seem to care.

I think we're already in depression 2.0. Jobless recovery? Come on.
Depending on what purpose an economy is designed to serve, maybe we've reached a tipping point where full employment is no longer desirable or necessary?

"If the purpose of our economic system is to deliver the maximum amount of goods and services with the least amount of effort, then the ability to deliver goods and services with the least amount of employment is actually desirable.

"Douglas proposed that unemployment is a logical consequence of machines replacing labour in the productive process, and any attempt to reverse this process through policies designed to attain full employment directly sabotages our cultural inheritance.

"Douglas also believed that the people displaced from the industrial system through the process of mechanization should still have the ability to consume the fruits of the system, because he suggested that we are all inheritors of the cultural inheritance, and his proposal for a national dividend is directly related to this belief."

Social Credit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The dirty little secret is that the radical left really believes that people live in poverty because other people are wealthy. Think about it. Why do "people live in poverty" in thousand year old civilizations when a 250 year old Nation is the world's last super power? I'll give you a hint...freedom. People live in poverty because they live under corrupt regimes that limit freedom. The ironic thing is that the bar scene from Star Wars aka the UN security council is part of the problem instead of the solution. Why do people die in the desert to get to the US? Because anyone can get rich in the greatest Nation in the world. Why are people in the Mid-East living in dirt and eating camel dung after thousands of years? Figure it out.
“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.”
-Karl Marx"

Four percent of the worlds population lives in relative abundance today because its military garrisons over 700 bases outside its homeland, allowing its drones to murder hundreds of the world's poorest citizens along with a handful of "terrorists." You call that "freedom", but that's probably due to an accident of birth.

"Continuous War: A national state of security arises, distracting attention from domestic challenges with foreign wars. Similar to the late Roman Republic, the US – for the past 100 years — has either been fighting a war, recovering from a war, or preparing for a new war: WW I (1917-18), WW II (1941-1945), Cold War (1947-1991), Korean War (1950-1953), Vietnam (1953-1975), Gulf War (1990-1991), Afghanistan (2001-ongoing), and Iraq (2003-2011). And, this list is far from complete."

Go figure.

EconoMonitor : EconoMonitor » Is Our Republic Ending?

-Karl Marx"

Four percent of the worlds population lives in relative abundance today because its military garrisons over 700 bases outside its homeland, allowing its drones to murder hundreds of the world's poorest citizens along with a handful of "terrorists." You call that "freedom", but that's probably due to an accident of birth.

"Continuous War: A national state of security arises, distracting attention from domestic challenges with foreign wars. Similar to the late Roman Republic, the US – for the past 100 years — has either been fighting a war, recovering from a war, or preparing for a new war: WW I (1917-18), WW II (1941-1945), Cold War (1947-1991), Korean War (1950-1953), Vietnam (1953-1975), Gulf War (1990-1991), Afghanistan (2001-ongoing), and Iraq (2003-2011). And, this list is far from complete."

Go figure.

yeah bro get some terrorists and american citizens and children and women

AMERIKA!
3q2jvs.jpg

If we took all of their money and divided it up among the world's poor, do you think it would make any long term difference?

NO, but I think if we took that money and created education and jobs that provided a living wage for them it would make a long term difference, until the worlds greedy got in control again.

How is that working out so far? Education subsidies are enormous, nobody is too poor to go to college, and there is still a problem with poverty and poor financial management.
Where did you get the idea that "nobody is too poor to go to college?"

-Karl Marx"

Go figure.

AMERIKA!
3q2jvs.jpg
Kool hat!
I'm just a little worried about US drones killing hundreds of innocent Americans (Mexicans ARE Americans) in the not-to-distant future. I'm sure Mexican oil sales will cover all expenses.

-Karl Marx"

Go figure.

AMERIKA!
3q2jvs.jpg
Kool hat!
I'm just a little worried about US drones killing hundreds of innocent Americans (Mexicans ARE Americans) in the not-to-distant future. I'm sure Mexican oil sales will cover all expenses.

How long until police departments use them to kill "suspects"?

i would like to see the list of who the top 100 are.... not just some articular alluding to them.
Here's the Forbes version.

i saw that... and it is not quite accurate.

it leaves off all royal families and all middle eastern oil barons....
I hope you're not counting on all the royals and Middle Eastern oil barons to roll back inequality levels to those we saw in the '90s?

"'As a first step world leaders should formally commit themselves to reducing inequality to the levels seen in 1990...'

"'From tax havens to weak employment laws, the richest benefit from a global economic system which is rigged in their favour.

"'It is time our leaders reformed the system so that it works in the interests of the whole of humanity rather than a global elite.'"

Forum List

Back