Is homeschooling a good solution?

What happens when the home schooler doesn't know the subject matter?..

You think all teachers are experts in all matters?
My son's math, science and engineering teachers all have master's degrees in their fields. And he's in middle school.

They don't teach engineering in middle school, dumbass.
They do in the civilized world you fucking moron.

No they don't. You don't even know what engineers do. Drafting is not engineering. Neither is coding.
I am an engineer so I kinda know what engineers do. Do they not teach math either because it's not differential equations or matrices? I'm willing to consider CS an engineering degree - it's only people like you who make me question that.

My son's math, science and engineering teachers all have master's degrees in their fields. And he's in middle school.

I was gonna say, as a one-time aspiring engineering student in college, I remember the math requirements being fairly stringent. Not sure how'd one get their by age what, 13?
It's stuff like Snap, Javascript, some kind of really basic CAD type system but it imparts the basics and creates the passion.
Last I heard, computer science was considered an engineering discipline. It's not doing circuit analysis or stress analysis though (obviously).

You heard wrong. Computer science is an entirely separate department.
Computer science falls under the college of engineering at the U of U where I attended. Of course, they were one of the first nodes in the internet and gave birth to Pixar, Adobe, AutoCAD, Evans and Sutherland and a bunch of others so they might be a little more elite that most CS departments.

I was gonna say, as a one-time aspiring engineering student in college, I remember the math requirements being fairly stringent. Not sure how'd one get their by age what, 13?

I don't believe they teach differential equations or linear algebra in middle school.

Yeah, I took tho in HS, and actually had to pass prerequisites to get there!

They teach derivatives in 1st year calculus. They don't teach differential equations.

No they don't. You don't even know what engineers do. Drafting is not engineering. Neither is coding.
I am an engineer so I kinda know what engineers do. Do they not teach math either because it's not differential equations or matrices? I'm willing to consider CS an engineering degree - it's only people like you who make me question that.

You're willing to consider it? Too bad for your credibility that engineering schools do not consider it to be engineering.

You're willing to consider it? Too bad for your credibility that engineering schools do not consider it to be engineering.
Well, I don't know what diploma mill you used but here's what a real university has in its college of engineering.

Departments

A general comment for everybody here who thinks that public education sucks: I'm becoming very thankful that my public education experience was good and that the taxes I pay to the schools in my area appear to be well spent. I truly pity the people who live in areas where the schools are as bad as they claim. Must be either low tax or inner city hell holes that I hope never to visit.

Spoken like a true minion of the government schools.
Where'd you get your shitty education, on a street corner?

he's clearly never had an education at all...even on a street corner.

that's why he's so resentful of people who are educated

Look who's talking.

What happens when the home schooler doesn't know the subject matter?..

more than likely the case.

also more than likely the case that the homeschooler has a religious agenda in wanting to keep their kid away from public school.

there are virtually no standards for homeschooled kids.
A.) That's not true at all. The state's educational curriculum must be followed by the home schooled just as it is by the public schooled. And the home schooled take the same "standardized testing" that the public school student takes.

B.) What is the problem with a "religious agenda"? That's what this country was largely founded on - religious freedom.

C.) Lets pretend that a parent is incapable of teaching the curriculum and lets pretend that there are "no standards" for homeschooled children (and I can tell you unequivocally 100% that is not the case) - so what? Where does anyone derive the power to over rule a parent on how their child should be educated and where is that power derived from? Why is the left so afraid of freedom? Why do they feel the need to push their agenda and ideology on everyone else? How about we just try freedom? You indoctrinate your children if that's what you desire, I'll home school and liberate my children. We all win. You're happy. I'm happy. Unless of course, you really do want to force your will on others. In that case, you wouldn't be happy in this scenario. But I would like to think that's not who you really are.

".. the overall quality of education in the state has improved slightly over the past few years, according to a pair of new reports.
"Education Week’s 2016 Quality Counts report, which measures on overall educational quality, had Wisconsin’s score increasing from 78.9 in 2015 (a C+) to 79.8 (a B-). The state ranked 11th out of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
"Wisconsin also tied for first with Minnesota among Midwestern states."

"While Laning’s statement seemed to suggest that Walker has left the schools all but penniless and unable to function normally, that’s hardly the case.
"Wisconsin ranked 22nd, and slightly above the national average, in per-pupil spending, according to the Education Week report. And that amount of money was seemingly enough to provide quality instruction for most students.
“On academic achievement, the state ranked above the nation in most areas,” the Journal Sentinel observed, based on the Education Week report.
"Wisconsin also improved its score and remained tied for third in the nation in the K-12 graduation rate, according to PoltiFact Wisconsin.
"The state has a graduation rate of 88.6 percent in 2013-14, which is apparently the last school year measured by federal officials. In 2012-13 that figure was 88.0 percent."

Ouch.

The truth stings lying progressive moonbats.

Report shows Wisconsin schools doing more with less | EAGnews.org
Is Donald Trump right about what Gov. Scott Walker did to Wisconsin schools?

Wisconsin is falling in terms of student to teacher ratios as the article above points out. That's due to budget cuts and teacher shortages.

And many of those budget shortcomings are due to teachers unions EVERY time a schools receives $5 in new funding there are the teachers right there, wanting $4 of that applied to teachers' salaries.

you want your kids taught but don't want to pay teachers?

there is limitless money for corporate welfare....

and unnecessary military equipment that even the military doesn't want ....

and agricultural subsidies....

and payment for Michele Bachmann's family farm

and her husband's pretend pray away the gay practice....

but "teachers unions" are the problem?

:rofl:

A) where did I say I don't want to pay teachers?

B) Corporate welfare, LOL give me a break

C) I believe there is much waste in defense spending, that can and should be cut. Hell, I'd do away with the Air Force in it's entirety if it were up to me

D) I'm against paying farmers to not grow a crop, its stupid.

E) See D

Oh, I guess you just liberally jumped to a conclusion not supported by facts there eh?

no.....if you jump to criticizing teachers unions, you clearly want to divest teachers of their bargaining power and want to screw them.

hence my comment....by which I stand.
Why do teachers need "bargaining power"? I've done very well in the private sector without a union. You know why? Because I created my own "bargaining power" through my performance. That's how it is supposed to be.

Furthermore - what an exceptional example of how far left the modern day liberal continues to move. Even FDR himself - the ultimate unconstitutional, big government progressive was adamant that unions had no place in government.

Government workers, however, don’t generate profits. They merely negotiate for more tax money. When government unions strike, they strike against taxpayers. F.D.R. considered this “unthinkable and intolerable.”

Government collective bargaining means voters do not have the final say on public policy. Instead their elected representatives must negotiate spending and policy decisions with unions. That is not exactly democratic – a fact that unions once recognized.

F.D.R. Warned Us About Public Sector Unions - NYTimes.com

".. the overall quality of education in the state has improved slightly over the past few years, according to a pair of new reports.
"Education Week’s 2016 Quality Counts report, which measures on overall educational quality, had Wisconsin’s score increasing from 78.9 in 2015 (a C+) to 79.8 (a B-). The state ranked 11th out of the 50 states and the District of Columbia, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
"Wisconsin also tied for first with Minnesota among Midwestern states."

"While Laning’s statement seemed to suggest that Walker has left the schools all but penniless and unable to function normally, that’s hardly the case.
"Wisconsin ranked 22nd, and slightly above the national average, in per-pupil spending, according to the Education Week report. And that amount of money was seemingly enough to provide quality instruction for most students.
“On academic achievement, the state ranked above the nation in most areas,” the Journal Sentinel observed, based on the Education Week report.
"Wisconsin also improved its score and remained tied for third in the nation in the K-12 graduation rate, according to PoltiFact Wisconsin.
"The state has a graduation rate of 88.6 percent in 2013-14, which is apparently the last school year measured by federal officials. In 2012-13 that figure was 88.0 percent."

Ouch.

The truth stings lying progressive moonbats.

Report shows Wisconsin schools doing more with less | EAGnews.org

Wisconsin is falling in terms of student to teacher ratios as the article above points out. That's due to budget cuts and teacher shortages.

And many of those budget shortcomings are due to teachers unions EVERY time a schools receives $5 in new funding there are the teachers right there, wanting $4 of that applied to teachers' salaries.

C) I believe there is much waste in defense spending, that can and should be cut. Hell, I'd do away with the Air Force in it's entirety if it were up to me

E) See D

Oh, I guess you just liberally jumped to a conclusion not supported by facts there eh?

no.....if you jump to criticizing teachers unions, you clearly want to divest teachers of their bargaining power and want to screw them.

By the way my dear friend - have you forgotten the meaning of "public servant"? A teacher, a police officer, a representative were not intended to make lots of money. It was supposed to be a choice of serving. In return, they were supposed to have job security and a respectable pension.

But somewhere along the way, as the left got greedier and greedier, it became "ask not, what I can do for my country, ask what my country can do for me". And then they brought in unions and demanded exorbitant salaries, cadillac healthcare plans, exorbitant pensions, and oh yeah - part time work with tons of time off.

ITT I see a lot of people who lack a basic education wishing to pass on their lack of a basic education to their children rather than giving their children the chance to be educated, form their own opinions, and succeed in life.

If your world view is so fragile as to be defeated by basic education...it may mean that your world view is wrong...not that basic education is wrong.
Or it may be that the more liberals have gotten involved in education, the more it has failed. Since Jimmy Carter created the Department of Education, we have seen national scores plummet. So the "lack of basic education" I see is from people like you who have no idea what they are talking about, are mindless little minions to the system, refuse to question their masters, and are too lazy to take responsibility for their children - preferring instead to have the government raise them.

Really? Which scores? What is your metric for making that determination? What has the Department of Education done to cause this so-called plummet?
They've unconstitutionally involved themselves in an issue that they have no business involving themselves in and which they are not designed to over see.

So what have they done? Well, they've illegally passed out federal dollars to get schools systems hooked (like crack cocaine) and then threatened to withhold those dollars in the future if the school systems did not incorporate their curriculum.

Do you have any idea why the Department of Education was formed in response to?

States who refused to institute the changes needed to improve their state's educational programs. Congress wanted oversight to keep these states in line. As time has gone by, improvement has been made and their influence has waned.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things we probably could do away with the Department of education, but using them as a scapegoat is just disingenuous.
Well that is completely nonsensical. The federal government has zero authority to (and I quote) "keep these state in line". The federal government is granted 18 specific enumerated powers in the Constitution and education is not one of them.

Furthermore, you're completely making this shit up as Congress wasn't even involved in the creation of the Department of Education. It was created by Jimmy Carter himself.

The fact that you're not even aware of how it was created - and worse - that you have no idea that the federal government is not legally authorized to dictate to states to "improve their educational programs" just goes to show that you're not qualified to be involved in this discussion.

It doesn't matter what liberals want or demand. The U.S. Constitution is the law. And until such time as it is amended, anything beyond those 18 enumerated powers that the federal government engages in is 100% illegal. It's amazing the criminal activity that you engage in and support. Shameful. And to think you are tasked with education our youth. No wonder so many people are turning to home schooling.

You heard it here first folks! Jimmy Carter created whole new Cabinet-level department with Congress passing a law!

The United States Department of Education (ED or DoED), also referred to as the ED for (the) Education Department, is a Cabinet-level department of the United States government. Recreated by the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88) and signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on October 17, 1979, it began operating on May 4, 1980.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Department_of_Education

Wait, oh, never mind. It's just another forum poster talking out of his ass about shit that is easily documented.

I will await your retraction and apology.

Every person in this country has school choice. Move to the area that has the best schools. I did it every time I moved in the military for my kids. If you can't, that is your choice!

Bullshit. They don't have a choice about paying for the failed government schools.

Failed? That word gets tossed around so much it has no meaning. I doubt you could quantify what constitutes a "failed" school.

A failed school system is one that graduates students who are illiterate. How about that definition?

Which ones would that be? The high school where I teach graduates about 95%of our students. None are illiterate.

Many states require competency tests to demonstrate what they have learned. How do you explain those people?

How do you explain inner city schools that fail 60% of their students? Why shouldn't parents of children in these schools have the option of sending their kids elsewhere? The don't have the option of moving to some tony suburb where the real estate prices are in the stratosphere.

Would you please explain that nonsensical gibberish? How do they "fail" the students? Students fail, Schools do not.

The U.S. Education Department was little to no impact s home schooling is a state issue.
But what does US DE do for school choice?

You have school choice in where your children attend school by where you live. They have no impact whatsoever.

That's like saying if the government passed a law forcing you to shop at Walmart, you still have the choice of moving to where there's a Walmart you like.

Try again. There was no real thought put into that post.

Nope. That analogy is exact. With government schooling, everywhere you go, the same company is providing the service.

More bullshit? You can move elsewhere, and you can shop wherever you damned well please.

E) See D

By the way my dear friend - have you forgotten the meaning of "public servant"? A teacher, a police officer, a representative were not intended to make lots of money. It was supposed to be a choice of serving. In return, they were supposed to have job security and a respectable pension.

But somewhere along the way, as the left got greedier and greedier, it became "ask not, what I can do for my country, ask what my country can do for me". And then they brought in unions and demanded exorbitant salaries, cadillac healthcare plans, exorbitant pensions, and oh yeah - part time work with tons of time off.

On what planet does this happen?

Failed? That word gets tossed around so much it has no meaning. I doubt you could quantify what constitutes a "failed" school.

A failed school system is one that graduates students who are illiterate. How about that definition?

Which ones would that be? The high school where I teach graduates about 95%of our students. None are illiterate.

Many states require competency tests to demonstrate what they have learned. How do you explain those people?

How do you explain inner city schools that fail 60% of their students? Why shouldn't parents of children in these schools have the option of sending their kids elsewhere? The don't have the option of moving to some tony suburb where the real estate prices are in the stratosphere.

And you think the problem is the education system... Do you think they would do better with homeschooling...

The education system isn't a magic wand to solve everything... resources have to spent there... There is great examples internationally of proper investment in socially deprived area and the results achieved.

Then explain why these same kids do much better when they get a voucher and go to a private school?

They don't! Many studies have proven that there is no significant difference in student performance.

Might produce good grades for some but the real world isn't at home with mom.
ANd yet homeschooled kids kick ass in the real world. Like becoming Justices of the Supreme Court.

That link got me nothing. Which Justice are you referring to. Was it lately? Did he take the Bar. Law School?
It was Sandra Day O'Connor. Although there were probably others.

She's not a current SCOTUS justice.

Bullshit. They don't have a choice about paying for the failed government schools.

Would you please explain that nonsensical gibberish? How do they "fail" the students? Students fail, Schools do not.

Sure they do. In Florida they even give the schools grades. If a school gets an 'F,' all the students become eligible for a voucher.

When a school fails 60% of its students, it's a failure.

And you think the problem is the education system... Do you think they would do better with homeschooling...

The education system isn't a magic wand to solve everything... resources have to spent there... There is great examples internationally of proper investment in socially deprived area and the results achieved.

Then explain why these same kids do much better when they get a voucher and go to a private school?

They don't! Many studies have proven that there is no significant difference in student performance.

Bullshit propaganda studies, you mean.

But what does US DE do for school choice?

You have school choice in where your children attend school by where you live. They have no impact whatsoever.

That's like saying if the government passed a law forcing you to shop at Walmart, you still have the choice of moving to where there's a Walmart you like.

Try again. There was no real thought put into that post.

Nope. That analogy is exact. With government schooling, everywhere you go, the same company is providing the service.

More bullshit? You can move elsewhere, and you can shop wherever you damned well please.

I said, if government forced you to shop at Walmart, just as it forces you to pay for the service provided by the government schools.

Pretending to be stupid doesn't make a convincing argument.

Forum List

Back