Is homeschooling a good solution?

What happens when the home schooler doesn't know the subject matter?..

You think all teachers are experts in all matters?
My son's math, science and engineering teachers all have master's degrees in their fields. And he's in middle school.

They don't teach engineering in middle school, dumbass.

That's one more thing you don't know about. That list is endless!

My son's math, science and engineering teachers all have master's degrees in their fields. And he's in middle school.

Control freak

I was gonna say, as a one-time aspiring engineering student in college, I remember the math requirements being fairly stringent. Not sure how'd one get their by age what, 13?
It's stuff like Snap, Javascript, some kind of really basic CAD type system but it imparts the basics and creates the passion.
Last I heard, computer science was considered an engineering discipline. It's not doing circuit analysis or stress analysis though (obviously).

You heard wrong. Computer science is an entirely separate department.

That's odd. While i was a computer science major in college all of my classes were part of the School of Engineering.

Man. you never cease to amaze me at the stuff you don't know!

Control freak

I have no idea what that meant nor its relevance to the discussion.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own,

Most people do not have the capability to home school because their own education is lacking or it is not feasible because of work schedules, etc.

If you can do it, great! If not, don't try to use it as a dodge for mandatory attendance laws or you will just be raising another idiot dependent on social services.
And yet somehow homeschooled kids kick ass on virtually every measure. For the record I homeschooled my older son. All the homeschooled kids I ever met, even where their parents were hardly intellects, were polite and could interact well with adults.
How were they with kids? Oddballs I bet.

Educate yourself on home schooling and how it has changed over the years, you sound very uneducated about home schooling.

more than likely the case.

also more than likely the case that the homeschooler has a religious agenda in wanting to keep their kid away from public school.

there are virtually no standards for homeschooled kids.
A.) That's not true at all. The state's educational curriculum must be followed by the home schooled just as it is by the public schooled. And the home schooled take the same "standardized testing" that the public school student takes.

B.) What is the problem with a "religious agenda"? That's what this country was largely founded on - religious freedom.

C.) Lets pretend that a parent is incapable of teaching the curriculum and lets pretend that there are "no standards" for homeschooled children (and I can tell you unequivocally 100% that is not the case) - so what? Where does anyone derive the power to over rule a parent on how their child should be educated and where is that power derived from? Why is the left so afraid of freedom? Why do they feel the need to push their agenda and ideology on everyone else? How about we just try freedom? You indoctrinate your children if that's what you desire, I'll home school and liberate my children. We all win. You're happy. I'm happy. Unless of course, you really do want to force your will on others. In that case, you wouldn't be happy in this scenario. But I would like to think that's not who you really are.

Not in all states. To which state are you referring?

Failed? That word gets tossed around so much it has no meaning. I doubt you could quantify what constitutes a "failed" school.

A failed school system is one that graduates students who are illiterate. How about that definition?

Which ones would that be? The high school where I teach graduates about 95%of our students. None are illiterate.

Many states require competency tests to demonstrate what they have learned. How do you explain those people?

How do you explain inner city schools that fail 60% of their students? Why shouldn't parents of children in these schools have the option of sending their kids elsewhere? The don't have the option of moving to some tony suburb where the real estate prices are in the stratosphere.

Would you please explain that nonsensical gibberish? How do they "fail" the students? Students fail, Schools do not.

Sure they do. In Florida they even give the schools grades. If a school gets an 'F,' all the students become eligible for a voucher.

When a school fails 60% of its students, it's a failure.

You are talking out of your ass again. Those" failing schools" are devised from a complicated formula that has nothing to do with student academic grades. I was a high school administrator in Florida.

BTW, the voucher system ended about a decade ago. It was declared unconstitutional. Please get with the program or stop posting bull shit.

Control freak

It is exactly how sounds, you want to control everybody's personal lives…

That's only acceptable if you're fine with creating a permanent serf class. Kids should have access to quality food and quality education regardless of location in the USA. Accepting anything less is accepting that America doesn't need to be exceptional and that "good enough" will do.

Public schools aren't *quality*.

That's a generalization. There are some good public schools.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
I can. So can all teachers handle high school algebra?

All high school and middle school math teachers can! I'll bet most of the science teachers can also!

Control freak

You must be having reading comprehension problems. I am just pointing out the misconceptions that people have about education.

I wish we had some way to track how homeschooled children are doing, once they've been taken out of public school, but there is no money in the budget or time in the day for school personnel to track and follow these kids. I've seen the 'dark side' of homeschooling, as well, when parents pulled kids out of school after the school reported abuse or neglect, or because the kid didn't feel like going and the parents didn't feel like arguing about it, or because the parent couldn't get out of bed to get the kid on the bus in the morning. I've also met parents so ignorant they can barely write their name, claiming they are "homeschooling." That can't be stopped, for some reason, and it is unfair to our kids. I'm quite sure that back in the 80's, there were rules that you needed a bachelor's degree in order to homeschool. That was overkill, but no follow up whatsoever is really a problem for some kids who aren't getting any education at all.

Lol. I think the percentage of public school kids who aren't getting an education is a LOT higher.

No, you didn't, or you would not have said what you did.
Awesome, you can read minds.:clap:

My students think I can.
Don't let it go to your head. Kids are famously gullible and foolish in general. And I think you're confusing your ability to manipulate the children you teach with superpowers.

Are you normally this clueless or is it a new found ambition?

That's one of the challenges you have to live with if you want to be a farmer. Schooling is another.
That's only acceptable if you're fine with creating a permanent serf class. Kids should have access to quality food and quality education regardless of location in the USA. Accepting anything less is accepting that America doesn't need to be exceptional and that "good enough" will do.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

Control freak

You must be having reading comprehension problems. I am just pointing out the misconceptions that people have about education.
Only a control freak would want to do away with homeschooling

Control freak

Only an idiot would post something I did not say My own grandchild is being home schooled. If you read the thread, you would know that.

Control freak

Yet you have failed to identify the misconceptions, lol. This is a perfect example of the crap quality of public education.

In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

You are talking to an establishment propagandist, the truth is not of interest to them. Many states now have home schooling that uses the home and uses others being home schooled to pull resources, use educators and teach people how to teach.

Control freak

Man...you're about to go off the cliff over this. I don't understand why. I gave you the facts for my children's school district. You gave different stats. You clearly don't work in the district that I'm in - so what is the problem?

What I gave is the reality for this district. You sound like you work for a more rational district. Kudos to the school board, superintendent, and tax payers of that community for creating a more sustainable and reasonable compensation package.

Control freak

Only an idiot would post something I did not say My own grandchild is being home schooled. If you read the thread, you would know that.
Then quite knocking homeschooling...

I have no problem with people who do that. My problem is with those who don't!

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mm has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and homeschool him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

Then quite knocking homeschooling...

Where did I knock homeschooling in general? Please quote the post. I disagree with the notion that anyone can homeschool.

You are confused. I think a nap might be in order for you.

Forum List

Back