Is homeschooling a good solution?

That's one more thing you don't know about. That list is endless!
Control freak

I have no idea what that meant nor its relevance to the discussion.
It is exactly how sounds, you want to control everybody's personal lives…

You must be having reading comprehension problems. I am just pointing out the misconceptions that people have about education.

Man...you're about to go off the cliff over this. I don't understand why. I gave you the facts for my children's school district. You gave different stats. You clearly don't work in the district that I'm in - so what is the problem?

What I gave is the reality for this district. You sound like you work for a more rational district. Kudos to the school board, superintendent, and tax payers of that community for creating a more sustainable and reasonable compensation package.

What stats? Those figures on pay scales and benefits you concocted? They are so far outside the norm that it is ridiculous.

That's only acceptable if you're fine with creating a permanent serf class. Kids should have access to quality food and quality education regardless of location in the USA. Accepting anything less is accepting that America doesn't need to be exceptional and that "good enough" will do.

Public schools aren't *quality*.

That's a generalization. There are some good public schools.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.
It's farther than that. I've developed online classes, taught them, and overseen them. Online classes are a disaster.

There are a lot of good online resources like Kahn Academy, wolfram alpha and others, but they're no replacement for a good teacher.

Again, I'm very much in favor of home schooling if a parent has the time, resources, and the ability to do it correctly. But it is far from easy to do.

It is exactly how sounds, you want to control everybody's personal lives…

You must be having reading comprehension problems. I am just pointing out the misconceptions that people have about education.
Only a control freak would want to do away with homeschooling

Only an idiot would post something I did not say My own grandchild is being home schooled. If you read the thread, you would know that.
Then quite knocking homeschooling...

Where did I knock homeschooling in general? Please quote the post. I disagree with the notion that anyone can homeschool.

You are confused. I think a nap might be in order for you.
Everyone has a right to homeschool if they want to… It's not for progressives to say who can homeschool and who cannot.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I can. So can all teachers handle high school algebra?

All high school and middle school math teachers can! I'll bet most of the science teachers can also!

So you don't have to be able to teach algebra to be a teacher. Got it.

Only an idiot would post something I did not say My own grandchild is being home schooled. If you read the thread, you would know that.

Where did I knock homeschooling in general? Please quote the post. I disagree with the notion that anyone can homeschool.

Everyone has a right to homeschool if they want to… It's not for progressives to say who can homeschool and who cannot.
Very few folks in this thread have actually been against homeschooling. It's a fine way to do things if you can. A lot of folks in here have objected loudly to how teachers have been portrayed or how public schools are portrayed.

In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

You are talking to an establishment propagandist, the truth is not of interest to them. Many states now have home schooling that uses the home and uses others being home schooled to pull resources, use educators and teach people how to teach.

Once again for possible penetration of some thick craniums, i do not think home schooling should be eliminated, but in my experience, the harm is in there being no supervision of the educational process. My biggest beef on this thread is people advocating for homeschooling by bashing public school teachers.

You are talking to an establishment propagandist, the truth is not of interest to them. Many states now have home schooling that uses the home and uses others being home schooled to pull resources, use educators and teach people how to teach.

Once again for possible penetration of some thick craniums, i do not think home schooling should be eliminated, but in my experience, the harm is in there being no supervision of the educational process. My biggest beef on this thread is people advocating for homeschooling by bashing public school teachers.
The Worst teachers on the planet are probably the ones teaching on Indian reservations... Federal government employees

Again more condescension from an educator.

I have respect for some educators, not condescending assholes like yourself.

I worked with the kids teachers to get my children prepared for the real world. If one of our children were having problems I would meet with the educator to work on a solution. Most are great to work with.

You are an ass.

Worst teachers on the planet are probably the ones teaching on Indian reservations... Federal government employees
A lot has gone wrong with the Indian Reservations. Teachers are the least of the problem.

I can. So can all teachers handle high school algebra?

All high school and middle school math teachers can! I'll bet most of the science teachers can also!

So you don't have to be able to teach algebra to be a teacher. Got it.

Do you have to be a doctor to practice medicine? You have to be able to teach algebra to be a math teacher. By the same token, I have never taken agriculture classes, so I can't teach agriculture. I am certified to teach all social studies classes.

In Florida, teachers were required to pass a college level academic skills test in order to get a teaching certificate. I tutored many liberal arts majors who needed help passing that portion of the test where math was involved.

I worked with the kids teachers to get my children prepared for the real world. If one of our children were having problems I would meet with the educator to work on a solution. Most are great to work with.

You are an ass.

You simply disagree because you are missing the point. You have never worked with me, so how can you make such a determination? That sir, is being an ass!

Where did I say that?

You guys are creating a cottage industry making up shit that I did not say.

The Worst teachers on the planet are probably the ones teaching on Indian reservations... Federal government employees

Some of the best teachers are in the Department of Defense Dependents schools. We were all government employees too!

You are an ass.

You simply disagree because you are missing the point. You have never worked with me, so how can you make such a determination? That sir, is being an ass!

You have named called all through the thread, live with it.

You are an ass.

How many times were teachers referred to that way in general?

Selective reading perhaps?

Worst teachers on the planet are probably the ones teaching on Indian reservations... Federal government employees
A lot has gone wrong with the Indian Reservations. Teachers are the least of the problem.[/QUOT

Some of the best teachers are in the Department of Defense Dependents schools. We were all government employees too!
Here is what you get from total federal control and pure socialism… this is where I grew up.

home to an entire Native American population living in conditions equivalent to those found among the poorest third world countries. Left in the wake of a terrible absence of resources, members of the Lakota Sioux Tribe are left feeling broken, hopeless and unimportant. Mostly unknown or forgotten by mainstream society, the average U.S. resident knows little, if anything, about the true history and current state of the Native American Indians. The below statistics and facts chronicle just one nation, the Lakota Sioux of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.

• The population of the Pine Ridge Reservation is 18,834.
  • At 11,000-square miles, the Pine Ridge Reservation is the second largest Native American Reservation in the U.S.
  • Alcoholism affects eight out of 10 families, contributing to a death rate that is 300 percent higher than the remaining U.S. population.
  • 97 percent of the population lives far below the U.S. federal poverty line with a median household income ranging between $2,600 and $3,500 per year.
  • Pine Ridge Reservation has no industry, technology or commercial infrastructure to provide employment for its residents, contributing to its 90 percent unemployment rate.
  • There is a 70 percent high school dropout rate.
  • The average life expectancy on the Reservation is 47 years for men and 52 years for women.
  • The teenage suicide rate is 150 percent higher than the U.S. national average.
  • The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent, and about 300 percent higher than the U.S. national average.
  • Nearly 50 percent of the adults on the Reservation over the age of 40 have diabetes.
  • The tuberculosis rate on the Reservation is approximately 800 percent higher than the national average, with cervical cancer not far behind at 500 percent higher than average.
  • There is an estimated average of 17 people living in each family home, a home that may only have two to three rooms.
  • There are no banks, motels, discount stores or movie theaters and the one grocery store of moderate size is tasked with providing for the entire community.
  • Over 33 percent of homes have no electricity or basic water and sewage systems, forcing many to carry (often contaminated) water from local rivers daily for their personal needs.
  • At least 60 percent of homes on the Reservation need to be demolished and replaced due to infestation of potentially fatal black mold, however, there are no insurance or government programs to assist families in replacing their homes.

A lot has gone wrong with the Indian Reservations. Teachers are the least of the problem.[/QUOT

Here is what you get from total federal control and pure socialism… this is where I grew up.

home to an entire Native American population living in conditions equivalent to those found among the poorest third world countries. Left in the wake of a terrible absence of resources, members of the Lakota Sioux Tribe are left feeling broken, hopeless and unimportant. Mostly unknown or forgotten by mainstream society, the average U.S. resident knows little, if anything, about the true history and current state of the Native American Indians. The below statistics and facts chronicle just one nation, the Lakota Sioux of the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota.

• At 11,000-square miles, the Pine Ridge Reservation is the second largest Native American Reservation in the U.S.
  • Alcoholism affects eight out of 10 families, contributing to a death rate that is 300 percent higher than the remaining U.S. population.
  • 97 percent of the population lives far below the U.S. federal poverty line with a median household income ranging between $2,600 and $3,500 per year.
  • Pine Ridge Reservation has no industry, technology or commercial infrastructure to provide employment for its residents, contributing to its 90 percent unemployment rate.
  • The average life expectancy on the Reservation is 47 years for men and 52 years for women.
  • The teenage suicide rate is 150 percent higher than the U.S. national average.
  • The infant mortality rate is the highest on this continent, and about 300 percent higher than the U.S. national average.
  • Nearly 50 percent of the adults on the Reservation over the age of 40 have diabetes.
  • The tuberculosis rate on the Reservation is approximately 800 percent higher than the national average, with cervical cancer not far behind at 500 percent higher than average.
  • There is an estimated average of 17 people living in each family home, a home that may only have two to three rooms.
  • There are no banks, motels, discount stores or movie theaters and the one grocery store of moderate size is tasked with providing for the entire community.
  • Over 33 percent of homes have no electricity or basic water and sewage systems, forcing many to carry (often contaminated) water from local rivers daily for their personal needs.
  • At least 60 percent of homes on the Reservation need to be demolished and replaced due to infestation of potentially fatal black mold, however, there are no insurance or government programs to assist families in replacing their homes.

Granted. Now what does that have to do with the discussion?

You are an ass.

How many times were teachers referred to that way in general?

I never referred to a teacher that way, did I?

Granted. Now what does that have to do with the discussion?
Homeschooling is not allowed on the Indian reservation…

What happens when the home schooler doesn't know the subject matter?..

more than likely the case.

also more than likely the case that the homeschooler has a religious agenda in wanting to keep their kid away from public school.

there are virtually no standards for homeschooled kids.
A.) That's not true at all. The state's educational curriculum must be followed by the home schooled just as it is by the public schooled. And the home schooled take the same "standardized testing" that the public school student takes.

B.) What is the problem with a "religious agenda"? That's what this country was largely founded on - religious freedom.

C.) Lets pretend that a parent is incapable of teaching the curriculum and lets pretend that there are "no standards" for homeschooled children (and I can tell you unequivocally 100% that is not the case) - so what? Where does anyone derive the power to over rule a parent on how their child should be educated and where is that power derived from? Why is the left so afraid of freedom? Why do they feel the need to push their agenda and ideology on everyone else? How about we just try freedom? You indoctrinate your children if that's what you desire, I'll home school and liberate my children. We all win. You're happy. I'm happy. Unless of course, you really do want to force your will on others. In that case, you wouldn't be happy in this scenario. But I would like to think that's not who you really are.

Not in all states. To which state are you referring?

it's not true in most states

Forum List

Back