Is homeschooling a good solution?

Only an idiot would post something I did not say My own grandchild is being home schooled. If you read the thread, you would know that.
Then quite knocking homeschooling...

Where did I knock homeschooling in general? Please quote the post. I disagree with the notion that anyone can homeschool.

You are confused. I think a nap might be in order for you.
Everyone has a right to homeschool if they want to… It's not for progressives to say who can homeschool and who cannot.

Where did I say that?

You guys are creating a cottage industry making up shit that I did not say.
Not me. I'm still waiting for you to provide some content.

And I'm praying that you aren't really a teacher, though you are exactly the sort of substandard shill I have come to expect to be teaching in traditional public schools. No wonder kids don't learn anything.

You cannot even address the subject without lying.

Goodbye!

That's a generalization. There are some good public schools.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

I have no problem with people who do that. My problem is with those who don't!

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mm has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and homeschool him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

Perhaps its' the teachers in the school that "don't get it." What evidence do you have that the parents are at fault?

How about spending 19 years in the classroom as a teacher and administrator? Apparently you don't get it either. You cannot teach someone who does not want to learn.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own,

Most people do not have the capability to home school because their own education is lacking or it is not feasible because of work schedules, etc.

If you can do it, great! If not, don't try to use it as a dodge for mandatory attendance laws or you will just be raising another idiot dependent on social services.

Home schooled children outperform their public school counterparts in every metric

That alone is reason to home school your kids

Prove it!

Require that high school dropout Mom that is teaching her kid to take the same tests as her public school counterpart teachers to prove the child is learning!

Go ahead! I dare you!

No one has! That is why your post stinks to high heaven.
We had our kids take the SOL's when their government school counterparts did. They did very well.

That is really great! I applaud parents who do that.

But, I'll bet you are not a high school dropout like the parent in my example.

what is "well performing"

what is "poorly performing".

not all classes are equal.

if you get a class of honors students, their numbers aren't going to change....thus no positive performance eval.

if you get a special ed class their numbers aren't going to move much off the dial....

so no positive performance eval.
There are some criteria by which a teacher can be evaluated. Clearly, class composition is a factor.

what criteria?
Does the teacher have a lesson plan ready when class starts? Does he/she know the material?
Does the teacher have all class work graded and back to the students on time?
Does the teacher consistently miss class?
Does the teacher have proper answers for questions asked during class?
Does the teacher bring a political agenda into the classroom?

I'm sure you can think of others.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: Do you think teacher compensation should be merit based or not?

Wow! Nobody told me it was amateur hour!
How well are the professionals doing?

Just fine, thank you!

Having guaranteed schooling for all our kids is one of America's best accomplishments.

Our schools are some of the best in the world . Don't believe the hype that are system failed .
Schooling isn't "guaranteed" if you have a 60% failure rate. Also, the ones who supposedly pass can't even read.

60% failures ? Where is your district !??

Our country's school rankings jump into the top ten if u cut out the scores of the education hating red states .

Public schools aren't *quality*.

That's a generalization. There are some good public schools.

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.
Heck, ten years ago my kids were using a totally online curriculum, with teachers for every subject available to answer questions, grade homework and tests, etc.

My son took an on-line class to supplement his studies in 2005, and he was damn lucky that Dad was a math teacher.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal

Not the school where I teach.
LOL_zpsrc5py0ql.gif

Then it is a private school.

Public high school in a rural area. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I think you took what I said too literally. Schools across the country are dominated by the left. I've lived in rich, Republican areas and the government schools are still overwhelmingly left. I've also lived in smaller cities in red areas and they are left. I think you hit the key word for the biggest exceptions when you said "rural"

What makes you think they are dominated by the left? That is the general consensus, but outside of news reports from the major liberal cities like NY, LA, Boston, and Chicago, can you honestly say the problem is nationwide.

Having guaranteed schooling for all our kids is one of America's best accomplishments.

Our schools are some of the best in the world . Don't believe the hype that are system failed .
Schooling isn't "guaranteed" if you have a 60% failure rate. Also, the ones who supposedly pass can't even read.

Are you talking failure of the students? You seem reluctant to give a straight answer.

I'll tell you the same thing my immature students get when they whine and say, "You failed me"! I tell them that teachers don't fail students, but students fail themselves.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal

Not the school where I teach.
LOL_zpsrc5py0ql.gif

Then it is a private school.

Public high school in a rural area. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I think you took what I said too literally. Schools across the country are dominated by the left. I've lived in rich, Republican areas and the government schools are still overwhelmingly left. I've also lived in smaller cities in red areas and they are left. I think you hit the key word for the biggest exceptions when you said "rural"

What makes you think they are dominated by the left? That is the general consensus, but outside of news reports from the major liberal cities like NY, LA, Boston, and Chicago, can you honestly say the problem is nationwide.

Don't you know ? The libs control TV, all the schools , the colleges, the media , the cities , the courts , the everything .

Makes u wonder , where do conservatives come from then!?

Then quite knocking homeschooling...

Where did I knock homeschooling in general? Please quote the post. I disagree with the notion that anyone can homeschool.

Everyone has a right to homeschool if they want to… It's not for progressives to say who can homeschool and who cannot.

Where did I say that?

And I'm praying that you aren't really a teacher, though you are exactly the sort of substandard shill I have come to expect to be teaching in traditional public schools. No wonder kids don't learn anything.

Goodbye!
You keep saying that...and yet youbrefuse to identify the so called lies. Goodbye indeed...my 13 year old is more intellectually adept than you are.

Those who whine and cry about schools should

1) forego your earning potential for a lot less money
2) and teach.

I always get a chuckle out of those that discount every public school as failures. That discredits their posts immediately. Their air of snobbery and elitism is loud and clear. We just gave our teachers a 4 percent raise and they have earned it.

Where did I say that?

Goodbye!
You keep saying that...and yet youbrefuse to identify the so called lies. Goodbye indeed...my 13 year old is more intellectually adept than you are.

You want an encyclopedic list of all the lies and misinformation posted by education-bashing hacks on this thread? I already have a day job!

Those who whine and cry about schools should

1) forego your earning potential for a lot less money
2) and teach.

I always get a chuckle out of those that discount every public school as failures. That discredits their posts immediately. Their air of snobbery and elitism is loud and clear. We just gave our teachers a 4 percent raise and they have earned it.

I think the schools they attended failed to educate them.

We are middle of the pack and the highest cost per student. This has been a fact for a long time. It isn't all the fault of the teachers or is it all the fault of the parents, administrators, society a all play the role in the failure.

We are middle of the pack and the highest cost per student. This has been a fact for a long time. It isn't all the fault of the teachers or is it all the fault of the parents, administrators, society a all play the role in the failure.

Red states drag us down .

Cost per kid is high because we also educate special needs kids . We don't toss them in the gutter like other countries . And don't forget sports, transportation , ect.

And "cost per student" is such a misleading stat.

No, we are not the middle of the pack. Our top performing students are on par with the best students from all over the world. The difference is that we test all of our students, while the rest of the world does not.

Taking our top students and then averaging in low performing students from schools in Baltimore, New York, Chicago, Houston, and Los Angeles lowers the overall average.

No other nation has the high number of minorities that barely speak our language present in their student samples.

That is why we "can't compete".

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own

State schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than those of the State.

Oh, that is oversimplistic bullshit!

There is little or no influence on school curriculum at the state level except feel good requirements of study most often placed by conservative state legislatures.

Forum List

Back