Is homeschooling a good solution?

If you want to attract the best and brightest to teach then the pay is going have to double to come somewhat close to what they can make doing other things. Get rid of unions that's fine. Then raise teacher pay EXPONENTIALLY to keep the best ones.

How is america a world leader in like EVERY industry if our schools are shit?

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

I have no problem with people who do that. My problem is with those who don't!

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mm has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and homeschool him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

Perhaps its' the teachers in the school that "don't get it." What evidence do you have that the parents are at fault?

How about spending 19 years in the classroom as a teacher and administrator? Apparently you don't get it either. You cannot teach someone who does not want to learn.

That's right, blame the students for the massive failure of the government schools.

Having guaranteed schooling for all our kids is one of America's best accomplishments.

Our schools are some of the best in the world . Don't believe the hype that are system failed .
Schooling isn't "guaranteed" if you have a 60% failure rate. Also, the ones who supposedly pass can't even read.

Are you talking failure of the students? You seem reluctant to give a straight answer.

I'll tell you the same thing my immature students get when they whine and say, "You failed me"! I tell them that teachers don't fail students, but students fail themselves.

If teachers aren't responsible in any way for how their students perform, then why do we even need them?

One can be whatever they want. Becoming an accountant engineer etc isn't all that difficult.

Because people do whatever it takes to get ahead so long as there is opportunity.

That makes no sense . If our schools have failed everyone then our workers can't do the job . Yet, they are !? You can become a great engineer wh just sheer will?

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own

State schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than those of the State.

Oh, that is oversimplistic bullshit!

There is little or no influence on school curriculum at the state level except feel good requirements of study most often placed by conservative state legislatures.

I don't think you understood, so I'll rephrase:

Government schooling is great is you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than those of the government.

If my point isn't clear, I was juxtapositioning your statement to one where the government was substituted for the individual parent.

Idiots look right to test scores....if we want higher test scores then teach solely to the test...yet we don't.

Having guaranteed schooling for all our kids is one of America's best accomplishments.

Our schools are some of the best in the world . Don't believe the hype that are system failed .

We are middle of the pack and the highest cost per student. This has been a fact for a long time. It isn't all the fault of the teachers or is it all the fault of the parents, administrators, society a all play the role in the failure.

No, we are not the middle of the pack. Our top performing students are on par with the best students from all over the world. The difference is that we test all of our students, while the rest of the world does not.

Taking our top students and then averaging in low performing students from schools in Baltimore, New York, Chicago, Houston, and Los Angeles lowers the overall average.

No other nation has the high number of minorities that barely speak our language present in their student samples.

That is why we "can't compete".

We are middle of the pack, spin all you like.

Public schools are a good idea and this is why they should have a national standard.

The government should govern, not operate businesses.

Public schools are not a business and if people would stop treating them as though they were, things would be a lot better.

Schooling should be a service provided by individuals for other individuals. Operating schools, or bakeries, or shoe factories, or farms, or religious education, or pencil manufacturing, or car factories are not, or should not, be the purpose of government. The purpose of government should be to govern.

Well heck then I'm going to open my own private school. About 20,000 per year tuition per kid. That's cheap but I could make it go.

Not the school where I teach.
LOL_zpsrc5py0ql.gif

Then it is a private school.

Public high school in a rural area. Sorry to bust your bubble.

I think you took what I said too literally. Schools across the country are dominated by the left. I've lived in rich, Republican areas and the government schools are still overwhelmingly left. I've also lived in smaller cities in red areas and they are left. I think you hit the key word for the biggest exceptions when you said "rural"

What makes you think they are dominated by the left? That is the general consensus, but outside of news reports from the major liberal cities like NY, LA, Boston, and Chicago, can you honestly say the problem is nationwide.

Don't you know ? The libs control TV, all the schools , the colleges, the media , the cities , the courts , the everything .

Makes u wonder , where do conservatives come from then!?

Yep, it's a miracle there are any conservatives at all in this country. But being on the side of truth is a big advantage.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal

LOL_zpsrc5py0ql.gif

I think you took what I said too literally. Schools across the country are dominated by the left. I've lived in rich, Republican areas and the government schools are still overwhelmingly left. I've also lived in smaller cities in red areas and they are left. I think you hit the key word for the biggest exceptions when you said "rural"

What makes you think they are dominated by the left? That is the general consensus, but outside of news reports from the major liberal cities like NY, LA, Boston, and Chicago, can you honestly say the problem is nationwide.

I already answered that, and to you

LOL_zpsrc5py0ql.gif

Don't you know ? The libs control TV, all the schools , the colleges, the media , the cities , the courts , the everything .

Makes u wonder , where do conservatives come from then!?

Yes, you do. What's funny is that none of you voted Republican until the SC insisted the Florida SC follow Florida laws. Yet your anger is the Republicans, who were apparently elected unanimously, stole the election ...

Because people do whatever it takes to get ahead so long as there is opportunity.

That makes no sense . If our schools have failed everyone then our workers can't do the job . Yet, they are !? You can become a great engineer wh just sheer will?

Most successful people teach themselves what they need to know. I have to learn an entire new career several times over. I realize government drones like you can't imagine people taking responsibility for their own lives and doing whatever they need to do, but nevertheless it happens all the time in an opportunity society.

Forum List

Back