Is homeschooling a good solution?

Actually it's not the schools that are better, it's the parents that are better. In upscale neighborhoods the parents are educated professionals who are motivated for their children to learn. Most of what children learn is taught by their parents. Schools simply put a rubber stamp on it.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

I have no problem with people who do that. My problem is with those who don't!

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mm has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and homeschool him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

Perhaps its' the teachers in the school that "don't get it." What evidence do you have that the parents are at fault?

How about spending 19 years in the classroom as a teacher and administrator? Apparently you don't get it either. You cannot teach someone who does not want to learn.
He's the poster boy for that statement.

I have yet to meet many parents that can handle high school algebra!
In most cases - that's true. But you do realize that a homeschooled student receives materials that shows step-by-step how to teach the assignments. If and when that is not enough, parents can simply turn to the internet for further information, lessons, etc. If that's still not enough - parents can and do hire tutors.

You do realize that is the technology age, don't you? We are way beyond the brick and mortar school churning out cookie cutter curriculum by unionized teachers taking the tax payer for all they are worth. I'm sorry that you feel so threatened by all of this but the reality is, we are still at least a decade away (if not two or three) from learning shifting to a new paradigm (most likely online). So relax. Take a breath.

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mm has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and homeschool him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

Perhaps its' the teachers in the school that "don't get it." What evidence do you have that the parents are at fault?

How about spending 19 years in the classroom as a teacher and administrator? Apparently you don't get it either. You cannot teach someone who does not want to learn.

what would anyone "learn" from you other than what kind of bullshit not to believe?

What makes you think they are dominated by the left? That is the general consensus, but outside of news reports from the major liberal cities like NY, LA, Boston, and Chicago, can you honestly say the problem is nationwide.

I already answered that, and to you

It must not have impressed me much.

Your government high school?

Yes, my government high school in a county dominated by conservatives,and in a state dominated by conservatives.

Sucked to be one of the few leftists there, huh? Wow, you're a leftist, you go to a government school, and it's not leftist! Wow, sucks.

You don't have clue, do you? I may be left of you on education, but to most people I am some where to the right of Attila the Hun. I don't like the liberal influences in education, but I really hate the ridiculous exaggerations by those on the right.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

I have a student whose father is an instructor in a diesel mechanics class at our community college. Mom has a college degree. Neither one can help their child learn because they "don't get it" and their son does not pay attention in class. What if they decided to pull him out and home school him? Do you think he would learn it if they cannot even help him now?

what would anyone "learn" from you other than what kind of bullshit not to believe?

So, why don't you prove what I am saying is wrong? It's every simple. You are not a teacher, so you have no way to know what goes on anywhere.

I already answered that, and to you

Yes, my government high school in a county dominated by conservatives,and in a state dominated by conservatives.

Sucked to be one of the few leftists there, huh? Wow, you're a leftist, you go to a government school, and it's not leftist! Wow, sucks.

You don't have clue, do you? I may be left of you on education, but to most people I am some where to the right of Attila the Hun. I don't like the liberal influences in education, but I really hate the ridiculous exaggerations by those on the right.
I'm not sure there is much "exaggeration" going on ART. Many public schools are teaching the egregious lie known as "Global Warming" (which, after being unequivocally proven to be a lie, was changed to "Climate Change"). They also refuse to properly teach the U.S. Constitution. And then of course there is the Common Core nonsense (which, in all fairness, most teachers I know hate).

Teachers don't set the curriculum so I'm not blaming them or you. But there is a huge indoctrination program being utilized by many states (sadly).

I'd imagine that home-schooled kids might be more likely to have to EARN their self esteem through effort, self discipline and achievement, rather than having it just given to them and getting participation medals.

I dunno, that might be considered child abuse in today's America. Careful, there.

I'm not sure there is much "exaggeration" going on ART. Many public schools are teaching the egregious lie known as "Global Warming" (which, after being unequivocally proven to be a lie, was changed to "Climate Change"). They also refuse to properly teach the U.S. Constitution. And then of course there is the Common Core nonsense (which, in all fairness, most teachers I know hate).

Teachers don't set the curriculum so I'm not blaming them or you. But there is a huge indoctrination program being utilized by many states (sadly).

Properly teach the Constitution? What evidence do you have of that? Almost half my career has been teaching American Government classes at the high school level.

One of the biggest problems I have with conservatives who criticize education is the belief that because someone apparently doesn't know the Constitution or ignores what they were taught, that somehow equates to that the never were taught. Obama is an alleged Constitutional Law instructor and Harvard Law alumni, but he makes policy in direct conflict with the Constitution that any middle-schooler should know is illegal. That is why the courts smack his down on a regular basis!

As far as Common Core goes, the ignorance on that topic abounds. Common Core is not the problem, but the curriculum bought by school districts aligned with the Common Core standards, which they call Common Core, when it is not. On this forum and others, I have heard conservatives railing about the Common Core Social Studies Standards. It is really so sad that no such thing exists and anyone not knowing that should be immediately dismissed as a loon.

Last edited:

Properly teach the Constitution? What evidence do you have of that? Almost half my career has been teaching American Government classes at the high school level.

One of the biggest problems I have with conservatives who criticize education is the belief that because someone apparently doesn't know the Constitution or ignores what they were taught, that somehow equates to that the never were taught. Obama is an alleged Constitutional Law instructor and Harvard Law alumni, but he makes policy in direct conflict with the Constitution that any middle-schooler should know is illegal. That is why the courts smack his down on a regular basis!

As far as Common Core goes, the ignorance on that topic abounds. Common Core is not the problem, but the curriculum bought by school districts aligned with the Common Core standards, which they call Common Core, when it is not. On this forum and others, I have heard conservatives railing about the Common Core Social Studies Standards. It is really so sad that no such thing exists and anyone not knowing that should be immediately dismissed as a loon.

We don't criticize education itself, we criticize the educational system.

I'd imagine that home-schooled kids might be more likely to have to EA,,RN their self esteem through effort, self discipline and achievement, rather than having it just given to them and getting participation medals.

I take it you home schooled your kids? How many?

I sent three to public schools. They had to earn respect. Perform well, acheive goals and accomplish objectives.

Nothing was given to them. No participation medals.

Of course these schools were in Ohio. Colorado may be different.

Nonsense.

How can you teach Constitutional (1787) principles in a setting where individuals are COMPELLED to attend and their parents are COMPELLED to financially support and wherein students have no rights?

"Courts" smack down Obama's laws because he is an uppity negro and adopted measures which favor brownskinned beaners, not because they are invalid.

The US did not become a gargantuan bankrupt welfare/warfare police state because judges invalidate UNCONSTITUTIONAL (1787) Laws. Actually , the standard has been lowered from unconstitutional to "unreasonable".

Nonsense.

How can you teach Constitutional (1787) principles in a setting where individuals are COMPELLED to attend and their parents are COMPELLED to financially support and wherein students have no rights?

"Courts" smack down Obama's laws because he is an uppity negro and adopted measures which favor brownskinned beaners, not because they are invalid.

The US did not become a gargantuan bankrupt welfare/warfare police state because judges invalidate UNCONSTITUTIONAL (1787) Laws. Actually , the standard has been lowered from unconstitutional to "unreasonable".

Thank you for the warning that your entire post was going to be nonsense! It is much appreciated.

Actually there are many conservatives that are critical of education, and I just responded to one particular example on this thread.

Nonsense.

Thank you for the warning that your entire post was going to be nonsense! It is much appreciated.

Yeah man, I like your debate technique. When confronted with painfully true facts become incoherent.

There are tons of school districts teaching that the Constitution is a "living, breathing document" which is simply 100% false. Sorry, but that's not a learning problem. That's a curriculum problem.

And again - I'm not blaming the teachers on that. I realize it's the state's setting the curriculum. And you're 100% wrong on Common Core. It is the problem. The math is a joke. The teach a 17-step process which takes roughly 6 minutes to do what we were taught to do in one step which takes roughly 45 seconds.

There are tons of school districts teaching that the Constitution is a "living, breathing document" which is simply 100% false. Sorry, but that's not a learning problem. That's a curriculum problem.

And again - I'm not blaming the teachers on that. I realize it's the state's setting the curriculum. And you're 100% wrong on Common Core. It is the problem. The math is a joke. The teach a 17-step process which takes roughly 6 minutes to do what we were taught to do in one step which takes roughly 45 seconds.

Pardon me, but you just qualified for that group I was discussing.

Common Core is a set of standards. As such, standards do not dictate in any way how students are supposed to be taught. I have have taught Common Core standards in my Algebra classes for 5 years, so I think I am qualified on this topic. How I teach my class is entirely up to me. I do not teach the same way as the other two teachers who also teach Algebra. What I teach is clearly defined by the standards. For example, my students are required to lean how to calculate simple and compound interest using exponential growth equations. Nowhere does it say anything about how I should teach it, what textbooks to use, what materials to use, or what assessments I am required to give. None of that.

As to your assertion about how the Constitution is taught, I would merely ask where you got that information. I have taught social studies in two different states and in 7 different school districts. I think that assertion is more urban legend than anything else.

Admiral, there is no need to defend yourself. You are a professional and I salute you for being a teacher. Do not let anyone persuade you to think you are not. Those who complain need to step in and fix the problem....but I doubt they could handle it. Plus they'd have to be willing to give up being paid compared to the private sector.

Pardon me, but you just qualified for that group I was discussing.

Common Core is a set of standards. As such, standards do not dictate in any way how students are supposed to be taught. I have have taught Common Core standards in my Algebra classes for 5 years, so I think I am qualified on this topic. How I teach my class is entirely up to me. I do not teach the same way as the other two teachers who also teach Algebra. What I teach is clearly defined by the standards. For example, my students are required to lean how to calculate simple and compound interest using exponential growth equations. Nowhere does it say anything about how I should teach it, what textbooks to use, what materials to use, or what assessments I am required to give. None of that.

As to your assertion about how the Constitution is taught, I would merely ask where you got that information. I have taught social studies in two different states and in 7 different school districts. I think that assertion is more urban legend than anything else.
Pardon me....but even your wild view of this proves there is liberal indoctrination going on. There are not supposed to be any national "standards" as each state and each community is supposed to control the curriculum for their own states and communities. The federal government has zero authority to involve themselves in education. The fact that you recognize there is now a "set of standards" being forced on all 50 states proves what I said. Liberal indoctrination.

And you are 100% wrong on Common Core. Those "set of standards" include, and in fact dictates, how students are supposed to be taught. That's the entire point genius. If you don't dictate what they are to be taught, then you wouldn't have any "standards".

You've fallen off the sanity train on your last few posts. I implore you to hop back on ASAP. I beg you.

Admiral, there is no need to defend yourself. You are a professional and I salute you for being a teacher. Do not let anyone persuade you to think you are not. Those who complain need to step in and fix the problem....but I doubt they could handle it. Plus they'd have to be willing to give up being paid compared to the private sector.

That's like saying that if the mechanic doesn't fix your car correctly, that you can't complain. You have to fix it yourself. You're obviously an idiot.

Furthermore, the educational establishment doesn't allow anyone to fix it. All they do is demand more money. I could fix the problem with government education with the snap of my fingers: Simply abolish it and give every child a voucher.

That's like saying that if the mechanic doesn't fix your car correctly, that you can't complain. You have to fix it yourself. You're obviously an idiot.

Furthermore, the educational establishment doesn't allow anyone to fix it. All they do is demand more money. I could fix the problem with government education with the snap of my fingers: Simply abolish it and give every child a voucher.
Nobody understand an issue, can see the glaring flaw in the opposition, and point out the complete lack of logic in that glaring flaw like Bripat can. No wonder he causes liberals to flip the freak out on USMB. :lol:

Actually there are many conservatives that are critical of education, and I just responded to one particular example on this thread.

Well, I am not sure why anyone would criticize education itself, that's silly.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

Forum List

Back