Is Obama Threatening The Supreme Court Justices?

The 'severability clause' was in there, Reid got it out. So now it's all or nothing.

Were they so arrogant to think they could get away with this, or was this a planned outcome to make Republicans out to look like they want to take away everbody's healthcare right before an election :confused:

Either way.... the American public was against it by 70% or so....

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

I had heard that FDR, in response to a conservative court (many Hoover appointees) opposed to his programs to end the Depression, threatened to "pack" the Court, by sponsoring a Constitutional Amendment to increase the Court size from 9 to 15 justices. The Court, however, came around and started finding FDR's programs Constitutional.

Of course, by then, most GOPpers has been throw out.

A switch in time saves 9

Sorry, but I'm not getting your meaning.

The president should not be discussing cases before the USSC!

Obama warns justices against 'activism' on health law

President Obama said today he is confident the Supreme Court will uphold his health care law -- and basically warned the justices against striking down the law by practicing what he called "judicial activism."

"I'd just remind conservative commentators that for years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism, or a lack of judicial restraint," Obama said during a joint news conference with the leaders of Canada and Mexico.

Obama defined activism by saying "an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted passed law -- well, here's a good example. And I'm pretty confident that this -- this court will recognize that and not take that step."

Obama taking his politics to the SCOTUS?

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

Aren't his opponents trying to threaten riots or outright rebellion? Whatever he's said pales in comparison to the treasonous thongs we hear from the wingnuts.

BTW, the case isn't over, no final vote has been taken and no one knows the outcome.

If there is ANYONE remotely treasonous? It would be Obama and his thwarting the will of the people, Circumventing the Constitution at will...and NOW threatening Judges on the SCOTUS?

The HELL you say.

Last edited:

The case is over...they voted...they know the outcome...Is Obama trying to influence thier decision?

Video in the story...

America cannot take 4 more years of this guy in the white house. This fucking goon fucking gangbanging thug. He is a traitor and should be dealt with as such.

I had heard that FDR, in response to a conservative court (many Hoover appointees) opposed to his programs to end the Depression, threatened to "pack" the Court, by sponsoring a Constitutional Amendment to increase the Court size from 9 to 15 justices. The Court, however, came around and started finding FDR's programs Constitutional.

Of course, by then, most GOPpers has been throw out.

A switch in time saves 9

Correct, FDR tried to expand the size of the court so he could stack it with his own judicial activists, but his own party rebuffed him on it. He also tried to implement a mandatory retirement age so he could force out the conservative judges and replace them with this own. Ultimately, his threats were enough to bully one of the justices into reversing their opinion, thus allowing for the constitutionality of the Minimum Wage and Social Security Acts even though they had previously struck them down, and embarking on the gradual shredding of our founding document.

No, he is taking it to the people. This was for consumption by his base.

Judicial activism is legislating from the bench. Striking down laws that are unconstitutional is part of their duties as Supreme Court Justices.

It is the left who have been the judicial activists, rewriting the Constitution ever since the New Deal, but like everything else they try and twist it around and accuse their political opponents of doing what they're actually doing themselves, to try and trick the ignorant among us into thinking those rewriting our Constitution through the courts are in the mainstream while those protecting it are the extremists.

Examples please.

(**wink ** wink **)

Judicial activism is legislating from the bench. Striking down laws that are unconstitutional is part of their duties as Supreme Court Justices.

It is the left who have been the judicial activists, rewriting the Constitution ever since the New Deal, but like everything else they try and twist it around and accuse their political opponents of doing what they're actually doing themselves, to try and trick the ignorant among us into thinking those rewriting our Constitution through the courts are in the mainstream while those protecting it are the extremists.

Examples please.

(**wink ** wink **)

Is that a serious question?

We can start with the most obvious, that being Roe v Wade.

You're probably right, but it wouldn't be the first time he's publicly poked at the court.

The 'severability clause' was in there, Reid got it out. So now it's all or nothing.

Were they so arrogant to think they could get away with this, or was this a planned outcome to make Republicans out to look like they want to take away everbody's healthcare right before an election :confused:

Either way.... the American public was against it by 70% or so....

And we were told by Pelosi we just had to pass it to see what was in it...

As the months go by? We see it and more join the ranks as to wanting to get rid of it. And you may bet that through Amicus curiae briefs, and petitions given the the Court? The Justices are keenly aware of it.

Examples please.

(**wink ** wink **)

Is that a serious question?

We can start with the most obvious, that being Roe v Wade.

Maubury v. Madison?

I see it as a direct message to the justices in desguise.

Video in the story...

Obama is Bullying the Supreme Court, Yes.

No.

He’s simply reminding conservatives that when in the past the Court has struck down laws the right approves of – such as laws limiting individual liberty and expanding the power of the state – republicans have whined that those rulings manifested ‘judicial activism’ where judges are ‘legislating from the bench.’ In such cases conservatives further complain that the court has failed to exercise judicial restraint and exhibits disrespect for the will of the people as expressed through their elected representatives.

In order for conservatives to be consistent and avoid hypocrisy, therefore, they’d be required to denounce the striking down of the ACA as well.

Is that why he is saying that striking down a law is unprecedented, or is the truth that you are actually dumber than a vacuum?

Threatening the Justices?

Obviously not.

Setting the stage to take full political advantage should the Health Care bill be declared unconstitutional.

Yes.

Funny thing 'bout this situation...whichever side wins the case, loses politically and visa versa.

If the bill is declared unconstitutional, liberals will be pissed! This bill will become their holy grail. They'll be out at the polls on election day en masse...the GOP will be slaughtered!

And if the bill is upheld, Romney may actually do a tinnie tiny bit better than McCain did in 2008!

:lol:

No.

He’s simply reminding conservatives that when in the past the Court has struck down laws the right approves of – such as laws limiting individual liberty and expanding the power of the state – republicans have whined that those rulings manifested ‘judicial activism’ where judges are ‘legislating from the bench.’ In such cases conservatives further complain that the court has failed to exercise judicial restraint and exhibits disrespect for the will of the people as expressed through their elected representatives.

In order for conservatives to be consistent and avoid hypocrisy, therefore, they’d be required to denounce the striking down of the ACA as well.

I do NOTE you only address Conservatives...Why is that?

Because the truth is that he can't think of an argument that actually supports what Obama said, so he has to attack others.

Forum List

Back