Is Teaching a respected Profession in This country?

Teaching a respected Profession in the United States?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
school year is this year:

9-06-10 to 6-20-11

That is 9 months and 14 days or approximately 284 days
Less weekends during that span....80 days
Less the summer months NOT in that span.....81 days
Less 2 weeks Christmas Vacation.....10 days (not including weekends already calculated in)
Less 1 week winter break (Presidents week)....5 days
Less 1 week spring break.......5 days
Thanksgiving.....2 days
Memorial day....1 day
Martin Luther King Day....1 day

365 minus 80 minus 81 minus 10 minus 5 minus 5 minus 2 minus 1 minus 1= 180 days

Hours 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.....8 hour day
:rofl: You've NEVER been a teacher, have you?

What is the issue here?

What is it that you are missing?

Does that include teacher conferences, PTA duty's, sabbaticals to update education and certifications with the state?

Open schopol night is one night a year.
Teacher conferences are from 3 to 4...15 minutes a parent....over a 2 week span....NEVER after 4
:lol:
PTA duty is voluntary....just as parents arent paid to be part of PTA as well.
Sabbaticals to update education is the same as CLE for attorneys....CRE for brokers...etc..etc...something all of us have to do as it pertains to our career....and not get paid for it

Any other holes you would like to punch as opposed to saying...

"you know, I never really realized....it is not such as bad deal they have"
Well, I guess since it is SUCH a great deal, there is no turnover like 1/3rd gone in first 3 years and 1/2 gone in 5 years.....It's such a sweet deal.

I voted Yes but the Teacher Unions sure have done their best over the years to change that. Respecting Teachers does not mean respecting Teacher Unions. Teacher Unions now do much more harm than they do good in our Public Schools. It's all about greed & politics for them. They stopped caring about the kids a long time ago. For them it's all about getting that cash and creating good little future adult Democrats through indoctrination. This Wisconsin situation defines them perfectly. It's all about them and getting Democrats elected. It certainly isn't about the kids anymore. It's actually very sad.

Look...

I am not saying teachers are overpaid by any means. They are paid very well and by no means are they looked down upon or not respected.

All I am saying is they have a good deal...one that is not much different than many we find in the private sector.

The rhetoric is just that....rhetoric....

Look at the facts and the numbers.....it is what it is.

When teachers can't produce students that can perform they are overpaid.

American students can't compete in the world and it's not because teachers aren't paid enough.
There is no personal responsibility on the part of the students...the willing, the not so willing, the high IQs, the low IQs, the Spec Ed student, the ED student, the homeless student, the hungry student, the neglected student.....It's all on the teacher.

That's why I blame the teachers of those posters here who lie, who are rude, who are wrong....it's not their fault....it's the teachers.

Look...

I am not saying teachers are overpaid by any means. They are paid very well and by no means are they looked down upon or not respected.

All I am saying is they have a good deal...one that is not much different than many we find in the private sector.

American students can't compete in the world and it's not because teachers aren't paid enough.

Students are widgets to be produced. :doubt:

Open schopol night is one night a year.
Teacher conferences are from 3 to 4...15 minutes a parent....over a 2 week span....NEVER after 4
PTA duty is voluntary....just as parents arent paid to be part of PTA as well.
Sabbaticals to update education is the same as CLE for attorneys....CRE for brokers...etc..etc...something all of us have to do as it pertains to our career....and not get paid for it

Any other holes you would like to punch as opposed to saying...

"you know, I never really realized....it is not such as bad deal they have"

I think they have a good deal, the one they negotiated and accepted. I am just saying teachers do more work in a year than most private sector workers, so just be honest about it. Saying they work 8 hour days is BS.

And saying an attorney works 10 hours a day is BS too.
I was comparing the typical amount of time spent in the workplace.

And to say a teacher does more work than say...and attorney...is BS....they both work hard...and when hard times come, an attorney may have to take a cut in his/her income....just as a teacher may have to.

But the BIG difference is....a teacher gets a heck of a lot more down time creating a much better quality of life...

Attorneys charge by the hour...but I can see that you want to compare them to teachers since their pay is SO comparable. :doubt:

Look...

There is no personal responsibility on the part of the students...the willing, the not so willing, the high IQs, the low IQs, the Spec Ed student, the ED student, the homeless student, the hungry student, the neglected student.....It's all on the teacher.

That's why I blame the teachers of those posters here who lie, who are rude, who are wrong....it's not their fault....it's the teachers.
Well, at least you have the guts to blame YOUR former teachers for your LIES, your rudeness, and the fact that you are consistently wrong on so many levels......Yep, it was most definitely YOUR teachers.

I voted Yes but the Teacher Unions sure have done their best over the years to change that. Respecting Teachers does not mean respecting Teacher Unions. Teacher Unions now do much more harm than they do good in our Public Schools. It's all about greed & politics for them. They stopped caring about the kids a long time ago. For them it's all about getting that cash and creating good little future adult Democrats through indoctrination. This Wisconsin situation defines them perfectly. It's all about them and getting Democrats elected. It certainly isn't about the kids anymore. It's actually very sad.

You regurgitate those Talking Points very well, Libo. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Look...

Students are widgets to be produced. :doubt:

why do you think modern schools are based on the factory model?

Well, at least you have the guts to blame YOUR former teachers for your LIES, your rudeness, and the fact that you are consistently wrong on so many levels......Yep, it was most definitely YOUR teachers.
I blame your teachers for not teaching you to see the point in a post. It's not your fault. It's the teachers.

I think they have a good deal, the one they negotiated and accepted. I am just saying teachers do more work in a year than most private sector workers, so just be honest about it. Saying they work 8 hour days is BS.

And to say a teacher does more work than say...and attorney...is BS....they both work hard...and when hard times come, an attorney may have to take a cut in his/her income....just as a teacher may have to.

But the BIG difference is....a teacher gets a heck of a lot more down time creating a much better quality of life...

Attorneys charge by the hour...but I can see that you want to compare them to teachers since their pay is SO comparable. :doubt:
So, are you trying to say that teachers pay of between 45-75,000.00 a year isn't fair?

Face it, those teachers and other union workers in Wisconsin are going to have to accept serious compromise, or say good bye to their jobs........Their benefits are no longer sustainable. the taxpayers can't afford to supplement their very generous benefits any longer. They need to start shelling out more from their own pockets. Private sector employees are doing it, so can they!

Funny, but I sure as hell didn't hear you whining your ass off when your inept messiah slapped a pay increase freeze on fed workers.......Nope, note one whiney liberal screetch from you or any other whiney liberal up here. .....But all be damned if a Repub tries to make tough choices. In your feeble minds, the world will implode.

You people and your hypocrisy is laughable:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You truly are clueless.
Law firms charge by the hour moron.
An attorney who is not a partner but an associate...which is what we were comparing per my original "apples to apples" post are NOT paid by the hour. They are paid a salary.

Now move on. You were put in your place...expecially when you laughed at the 180 day thing without having a clue that 180 days IS the number.

Move on. You are out of your league with me.

The problem I have with teachers is that they don't do anything besides teach. I think you should have to have some kind of career yourself before you get the right to teach the next generation and pass on your knowledge. Teaching should be a part-time thing that's a supplement to your regular job. That way many people can participate in passing on knowledge to the next generation, just how it should be.

We've all heard the saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." I think you should have to prove that you "can" before you're allowed to teach. If your job is to accomplish nothing yourself except enable others to accomplish stuff, there's something wrong with that. It's putting the cart before the horse. I think many young adults understand this and don't want to be full-time teachers, which is why we have such a shortage of teachers in America.

Last edited:

So, are you trying to say that teachers pay of between 45-75,000.00 a year isn't fair?

Face it, those teachers and other union workers in Wisconsin are going to have to accept serious compromise, or say good bye to their jobs........Their benefits are no longer sustainable. the taxpayers can't afford to supplement their very generous benefits any longer. They need to start shelling out more from their own pockets. Private sector employees are doing it, so can they!

Funny, but I sure as hell didn't hear you whining your ass off when your inept messiah slapped a pay increase freeze on fed workers.......Nope, note one whiney liberal screetch from you or any other whiney liberal up here. .....But all be damned if a Repub tries to make tough choices. In your feeble minds, the world will implode.

YOu DO know they compromised and took cuts and took on some more of their health benefits last year....right?

The problem I have with teachers is that they don't do anything besides teach. I think you should have to have some kind of career yourself before you get the right to teach the next generation and pass on your knowledge. Teaching should be a part-time thing that's a supplement to your regular job. That way many people can participate in passing on knowledge to the next generation, just how it should be.

We've all heard the saying, "Those who can, do. Those who can't teach." I think you should have to prove that you "can" before you're allowed to teach. If your job is to accomplish nothing yourself except enable others to accomplish stuff, there's something wrong with that. It's putting the cart before the horse. I think many young adults understand this and don't want to be full-time teachers, which is why we have such a shortage of teachers in America.

Many teachers are second career. My brother was in the military first. Many of my teacher friends, the same...or in insurance, or police, or in one case a med tech at Stanford Hospital.

My husband makes three times my salary. He said he wouldn't do what I do for ten times.

Volunteer one day. Then get back to me.

I love what I do. But take away my benefits and pension, and I'd be out in a heartbeat. My bartender friends do very well here at the shore.

My husband makes three times my salary. He said he wouldn't do what I do for ten times.

Volunteer one day. Then get back to me.

I love what I do. But take away my benefits and pension, and I'd be out in a heartbeat. My bartender friends do very well here at the shore.

Chanel, I'm sure you earn every dime of it. It's a shame how teachers are treated in this country.

YOu DO know they compromised and took cuts and took on some more of their health benefits last year....right?
And it's now quite apparent they have no choice but to take on more cuts and more of their health benefits........Their very generous benefits cannot be sustained. As is the case in may other states.

Like Obama himself said, all americans are going to have to basically bite the bullet. Time for the union goons to start biting away.......Or face mass lay offs.

So, where's that outrage over your beloved Messiah freezing pay increases on federal employees. I mean that would be akin to waging war on the middle class also, eh?

LMAO!:lol:

Forum List

Back