Is Teaching a respected Profession in This country?

Teaching a respected Profession in the United States?

• yes

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • no

Votes: 26 68.4%

• Total voters
Two separate issues. Most of my friends are willing to accept contributions to benefits and pension- despite contactual obligations. They are not willing to be demonized and vilified. Bodecea's thread was about respect. Obviously posts abput pedophilia and videotaping, suggest that the economy is not the issue.

Teacher bashing - the new trend in bigotry.

Teacher bashing?
No.
Never see it or hear it.
Putting teachers on a pedestal? Seems if we dont, then we are accused of hating teachers.

THAT is the true crux of the debate.

Not why does the right hate teachers....but why does the left insist we put them on pedestals?

They are professionals who work hard, get paid well, have great vacation time, no doubt warranted.....but put on a pedestal as we accuse doctors of taking out tonsils for the sake of making more money?

No. Not on my watch.

Two separate issues. Most of my friends are willing to accept contributions to benefits and pension- despite contactual obligations. They are not willing to be demonized and vilified. Bodecea's thread was about respect. Obviously posts abput pedophilia and videotaping, suggest that the economy is not the issue.

So, tell us how those teachers in Wisconsin deserve respect when they are WILLINGLY abandoning their classrooms and students, thereby stepping on the RIGHTS of those children to receive an education.......Why can't those teachers go protest on their own time, after hours?...........Why do they abandon their students and infringe on those students RIGHTS?..........Why should we show respect to those teachers who are causing those students parents to have to rearrange their lives, too include taking time off work at a loss of pay, in an attempt to ensure that their kids are being properly taken care of in a safe way, when those students should be in the classroom exercising their RIGHTS to an education.

Face it, those teachers don't deserve ANY respect for what they are doing. Those teachers deserve to be bashed come hell or high water.

The few teachers who have elected to stay in the classroom, and who are willingly continuing to teach those students and let the union handle the situation are the ones who deserve the respect. Certainly not the ones who abandonded their students and are stomping all over those RIGHTFULLY given RIGHTS of said students!

Last edited:

So, tell us how those teachers in Wisconsin deserve respect when they are WILLINGLY abandoning their classrooms and students, thereby stepping on the RIGHTS of those children to receive an education.......Why can't those teachers go protest on their own time, after hours?...........Why do they abandon their students and infringe on those students RIGHTS?..........Why should we show respect to those teachers who are causing those students parents to have to rearrange their lives, too include taking time off work at a loss of pay, in an attempt to ensure that their kids are being properly taken care of in a safe way, when those students should be in the classroom exercising their RIGHTS to an education.

Face it, those teachers don't deserve ANY respect for what they are doing. Those teachers deserve to be bashed come hell or high water.

The few teachers who have elected to stay in the classroom, and who are willingly continuing to teach those students and let the union handle the situation are the ones who deserve the respect. Certainly not the ones who abandonded their students and are stomping all over those RIGHTFULLY given RIGHTS of said students!

Yes, you prefer Americans who roll over. I get it.

Typical.....You can't counter anything I said in that post so you come up with your usual one line of idiocy.......You're so outgunned up here it's laughable.

If one needs to spin what his opponent says in an effort to grab an advantage in a debate, then one is actually admitting to have nothing and therefore is admitting defeat.

After seeing the way the kids treat teachers in middle school and high school, my answer is no.

That and Republicans giving a big middle finger to teachers. I mean they hate teachers. They hate anyone who tries to promote a better living for all.

The greed & politics need to be removed from the Public School System. Teacher Unions add nothing to Public Schools. In fact they only hurt them in the end. Once they decided they were going to be so greedy and start indoctrinating children on being good little future adult Democrats,everything began to collapse. And that's where we are today. Many nations are passing us up in Education. You have to remove the politics & greed. Until this happens,our Public Schools will only continue to crumble further. The Wisconsin Governor should probably be looking for ways to fire these protesting Teachers. It could be a fantastic opportunity to get rid of the greedy political activists in the Schools. I guess we'll see what happens.

So the only politics that should be in schools is ones you agree with?

Thats ridiculous. You don't want to remove the greed from banks who steals money from the people, but those greedy 25K a year bastards.

Seriously, when you leave this world, the average US IQ score will go up 20 points.

The greed & politics need to be removed from the Public School System. Teacher Unions add nothing to Public Schools. In fact they only hurt them in the end. Once they decided they were going to be so greedy and start indoctrinating children on being good little future adult Democrats,everything began to collapse. And that's where we are today. Many nations are passing us up in Education. You have to remove the politics & greed. Until this happens,our Public Schools will only continue to crumble further. The Wisconsin Governor should probably be looking for ways to fire these protesting Teachers. It could be a fantastic opportunity to get rid of the greedy political activists in the Schools. I guess we'll see what happens.

Thats ridiculous. You don't want to remove the greed from banks who steals money from the people, but those greedy 25K a year bastards.

Seriously, when you leave this world, the average US IQ score will go up 20 points.
Seriously, why don't you look at what those teachers are making a year. 45-75 g's on average. Certainly not pocket change.

Face it, nobody is trying to take their pay away, their benefits away, their pensions away. It's time they start digging deeper into their pockets just like everybody in the private sector must do nowadays. They are no better than anybody else. They can most definitely afford it.

Last edited:

Seriously, why don't look at what those teachers are making a year. 45-75 g's on average. Certainly not pocket change.

Face it, nobody is trying to take their pay away, their benefits away, their pensions away. It's time they start digging deeper into their pockets just like everybody in the private sector must do nowadays. They are no better than anybody else. They can most definitely afford it.

Indeed about salaries. Not once, until yesterday has anyone answered my query, "What if a fair teacher's salary?" Yesterday, perhaps this morning someone said, 'bankers salary.' When asked if JP Morgan or Main St. Bank, he put up a avg salary. Teachers avg. salary was very close from same site, probably higher if benefits were factored in.

Seriously, why don't look at what those teachers are making a year. 45-75 g's on average. Certainly not pocket change.

Indeed about salaries. Not once, until yesterday has anyone answered my query, "What if a fair teacher's salary?" Yesterday, perhaps this morning someone said, 'bankers salary.' When asked if JP Morgan or Main St. Bank, he put up a avg salary. Teachers avg. salary was very close from same site, probably higher if benefits were factored in.
Those teachers in Wisconsin aren't hurting pay wise, benefit wise, or pension wise. There is no reason they can't dig a lil' deeper into their pockets and come in line with the private sector.

Funny thing is, FOX news just showed a teacher at the protest screaming into the fox interviewers microphone, THIS IS FOR THE CHILDREN!....THIS IS FOR THE CHILDREN.....WE'RE DOING THIS FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

Really?......They're doing it for the children?.........They sure seem to have no problem in stepping on the RIGHTS of the children to an education while they abandon the children and their classrooms to go and participate in some ridiculous protest that will no doubt end up blowing up in their faces......In fact, it's already starting. CNN interviewed a bunch of parents who are pissed off as all hell as to what the teachers are doing. And that sentiment is growing.

Those teachers in Wisconsin aren't hurting pay wise, benefit wise, or pension wise. There is no reason they can't dig a lil' deeper into their pockets and come in line with the private sector.

Funny thing is, FOX news just showed a teacher at the protest screaming into the fox interviewers microphone, THIS IS FOR THE CHILDREN!....THIS IS FOR THE CHILDREN.....WE'RE DOING THIS FOR THE CHILDREN!!!!!!

Really?......They're doing it for the children?.........They sure seem to have no problem in stepping on the RIGHTS of the children to an education while they abandon the children and their classrooms to go and participate in some ridiculous protest that will no doubt end up blowing up in their faces......In fact, it's already starting. CNN interviewed a bunch of parents who are pissed off as all hell as to what the teachers are doing. And that sentiment is growing.

I would think so. The election results in WI weren't even close regarding the legislature. People voted as they did for a reason. They aren't the no minds the Democrats are hoping for.

Just got home and saw this thread.

16 pages, wow.

I haven't read through the thread, just wanted to say that I:

Am a teacher

In a public school

Not a member of a Union

I am perfectly fine with the $$ I make

Love my job-I love my students, my staff and my school.

I also feel very blessed I get to teach special needs students every day, something I've always wanted to do since I was 13 years old.

I am also very blessed to have a job where I can spend my holidays and vacations with my daughter, and she never had to have a baby sitter or day care in the summers. We never have a lot of money for vacations, but we do have quality time together, and that to me is the most important thing.

If you want to judge all teachers by a few bad apples, go ahead, but realize a majority of them LOVE helping change a child's life by teaching them.

I would think so. The election results in WI weren't even close regarding the legislature. People voted as they did for a reason. They aren't the no minds the Democrats are hoping for.
The other thing is, the crowds at the protest are starting to get whipped into a frenzy. If violence breaks out, it's over.

Look at what we have here. A bunch of union members that are beginning to look like fools. Teachers abandoning their clasrooms and students at great cost to the parents, particularly the one income single parents. Definitely not a good thing when private sector citizens are barely getting by. And to top it off, the dem representatives skipped town with their tails between their legs, thereby leaving the citizens who have the RIGHT to government representation in the lurch.

This was a bad move on the unions part. It's a bad move on the teachers part. It's a bad move on the dem politicians part. And it's a serioulsy bad move on Obama's part for allowing his cronies to fan the flames. This could be his end of the road in a nutshell. It could definitely deem he and his administration completely moot come '12.

Don't be surprised if you start seeing the Hillary supporters start pushing hard for her to challenge him come '12 after this ridiculous fiasco.

Last edited:
I do agree with Wicked Jester in that I think that this is a TERRIBLE political move on the part of the teacher's union.

My mother, also a teacher, was on the negotiating committee for her union during their last contact negotiations. She was "disinvited" from serving on the committee this year...the reason? She mentioned that she thought the union should push for an "Early Bird" agreement that was basically holding the status quo with a small cost of living increase...but nothing more given the current economy. The union stated, politely, that they didn't want someone with that opinion representing them.

She and I agree wholeheartedly...when many people are out-of-work or are grateful to be holding on to crappy jobs with expensive benefits (or none at all)...that teachers would be foolish indeed to appear to be whining about the fact that we get very decent salaries, incredible benefits, and our summers off to work other jobs.

I think that - regardless of whether the unions are right or wrong in what they are angry about - they are making a political blunder because they will NOT have the support of the American people in the long run and will only breed more ill-will towards teachers.

Just got home and saw this thread.

16 pages, wow.

I haven't read through the thread, just wanted to say that I:

Am a teacher

In a public school

Not a member of a Union

I am perfectly fine with the $$ I make

Love my job-I love my students, my staff and my school.

I also feel very blessed I get to teach special needs students every day, something I've always wanted to do since I was 13 years old.

I am also very blessed to have a job where I can spend my holidays and vacations with my daughter, and she never had to have a baby sitter or day care in the summers. We never have a lot of money for vacations, but we do have quality time together, and that to me is the most important thing.

If you want to judge all teachers by a few bad apples, go ahead, but realize a majority of them LOVE helping change a child's life by teaching them.
Thankyou.

I will always respect most Teachers but i will never respect Democrats and Teacher Unions. They have both destroyed our Public School System. They're behaving like spoiled brats. Not surprising though. The Wisconsin Governor should call their bluff and boot these Teachers.

Libocalypse maybe it's not how you meant it, but I certainly wouldn't put all the blame on one party, or even an overwhelming majority of it.

How about putting the blame on one type of ideology, people call themselves lots of different things that does not make them so.

I think it is very backwards.

College professors are much more respected than grade school teachers.

But I think grade school teachers can have more effect on kids lives ultimately but we have some really dumb grade school teachers. So it is like the system is designed to do the most damage where it can have the greatest effect.

psik

I have many teachers in my family, both of my Grandmothers were teachers and of my father's family 3 out of 4 were teachers and out of my generation, 6 out of 14 are teachers with another 3 being nurses...and 2 firefighters. And then 2 of us military. We have public service in our bloodline.

And it is amazing to watch how in the last 20 years how teaching has come to be so denigrated. Why do we wonder at how we compare with other countries and cultures that respect education and educators?
Teachers in murka today don't teach. They babysit and try to keep kids from killing each other. Schools are places to stick your kids while you work and hope they come home alive.
As to your family, much thanks to the three who are of real benefit to the public.

Seriously, why don't you look at what those teachers are making a year. 45-75 g's on average. Certainly not pocket change.

What a grandious lie that is.

What a grandious lie that is.
So, show it's a lie. Show us where the governor wants to take away their pay, benefits, or pensions..........SHOW IT!

And, YOU are the last person who should be calling anybody a liar......LMAO!

Forum List

Back