Is the economy booming?

Trump bitch slaps Europe with steel tariffs, the UK folds like a cheap lawn chair and reopens a USA steel plant, brings 300 steel jobs back to the USA, and plans to invest $5 billion in the USA steel industry. :eusa_dance:

South Carolina steel plant reopened by UK industrialist, avoiding tariffs
That's not really a strong national economic indicator. There are plenty of bad news to match that.

Harley Davidson moving production overseas

Yup, you know what they say about opinions.
Trump economy is doing fine, to the chagrin of the dismal science

The global economy is doing great ... for now

Americans agree with Trump: the economy is doing great

Has Anyone Noticed That Trump's Economy Keeps Doing Better Than Expected? | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD
So what indicators are you using?

I actually base it on a number of things, feedback from my financial advisor (who is not a Trump supporter), on the number of store fronts that are being re-occupied, probably a few others. Oh yeah, and how my rear doesn’t pucker when I open my bank statement every month.
So you don't have any real economic indicators we can discuss?

So far it seems Republicans are not capable of intelligent economic discussion. Would explain their beliefs....

Slow your camel down pal. Unable to have intelligent economic discussion, or willing to share whatever economic indicators I use? Two very different topics. You're a grown up (I'm guessing), put on your big boy pants and figure it out on your own.

I actually base it on a number of things, feedback from my financial advisor (who is not a Trump supporter), on the number of store fronts that are being re-occupied, probably a few others. Oh yeah, and how my rear doesn’t pucker when I open my bank statement every month.

So far it seems Republicans are not capable of intelligent economic discussion. Would explain their beliefs....

Slow your camel down pal. Unable to have intelligent economic discussion, or willing to share whatever economic indicators I use? Two very different topics. You're a grown up (I'm guessing), put on your big boy pants and figure it out on your own.
You don't sound like a grown up. So you are unwilling to discuss why you think the economy is booming intelligently? Go find another thread where they want your usual gibberish. This one is for economic discussion.

I keep hearing trumpers claim the economy is booming. When challenged they disappear. So lets look at it.

First quarter growth was only 2.2%. I don't call that booming.
U.S. First-Quarter Growth Revised Down to 2.2% on Inventories

Unemployment is really low which is good. 3.8%

But Obama had a really good unemployment rate, but repubs then claimed it was about the labor force participation rate. So how is that doing? 62.7%. What was it in Dec 2016? 62.7%. So still really low. According to Trump that makes the real unemployment rate over 20%.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

How are wages doing? Still really slow.
All the signs are there for higher pay, but the 'mystery of missing wage growth' continues

Stock market? Having an awful year. Did great when we were riding the Obama economy, but has been erratic and dropping as we get more trump policies.
Trade war fears spread to tech and Dow sheds 328 points

With all this tariff talk and more sales tax on internet sales coming I don't see a boom coming.

Economy is still good,but not booming. If you think the economy is booming please share which economic indicators you are using.
I have a huge investment in the stock market and so far all Trump is doing so far doing helping divest me of my profits. Where the hell is this man going?

All I know is real estate in my city is selling like hotcakes. Houses sell in one day for full price+. Anyone who wants a job can get a job whether your 17 or 70. Wages are going up. Stock market is still strong. What do you see? I see a booming economy.

The fact of the matter is, the folks that really control the world, DON'T WANT economic growth.

They feed the entire population two conflicting messages daily, and folks just don't get it.

Economic growth means energy consumption, and according to them, that means global warming. So they can't have that.

They are actively trying to avoid that. So either they want it, or they don't.

The beat this drum of "sustainability" when the truth is, the elites don't really want economic growth, not really. The MSM doesn't want economic growth. Everything that goes along with growth they tell us is bad. Thus, they make it impossible. And they make everyone against it.

They tell you population growth is bad. They tell you consumption of energy is bad. They tell you CO2 emissions and oil are bad. However, you can't have economic growth with out any of these things. The more of this you have, the more growth you will have. It is axiomatic.

World-Growth-Examples-1965-to-2010.jpg

:yapyapyapf::lame2:

All I know is real estate in my city is selling like hotcakes. Houses sell in one day for full price+. Anyone who wants a job can get a job whether your 17 or 70. Wages are going up. Stock market is still strong. What do you see? I see a booming economy.
Please share some real statistics. What is local unemployment. What stats lead you to believe wages are going up?

Please share some real statistics. What is local unemployment. What stats lead you to believe wages are going up?
A miscalculated paycheck?:disbelief:"I'm rich - america is great again."

I keep hearing trumpers claim the economy is booming. When challenged they disappear. So lets look at it.

But Obama had a really good unemployment rate, but repubs then claimed it was about the labor force participation rate. So how is that doing? 62.7%. What was it in Dec 2016? 62.7%. So still really low. According to Trump that makes the real unemployment rate over 20%.

All the signs are there for higher pay, but the 'mystery of missing wage growth' continues

Stock market? Having an awful year. Did great when we were riding the Obama economy, but has been erratic and dropping as we get more trump policies.

With all this tariff talk and more sales tax on internet sales coming I don't see a boom coming.

Economy is still good,but not booming. If you think the economy is booming please share which economic indicators you are using.
The GOP is screaming that the economy is booming, but the numbers are not there, yet.

The good news (at least those of us who are actually hoping for good news) is that business capital spending is up an incredible 39% after the tax cuts - precisely what was hoped for and predicted - and unemployment is so low that wages almost necessarily have to increase. Right now they're increasing at 2.8% and that's simply not enough. We need them at a sustained level of at least 3.5% to 4.0% or more for a "boom".

The trade situation, cause for much drama, has to stabilize, and that may happen. This current situation can only continue for so long. If we see some capitulation from foreign countries on this, soon, you'll see a significantly positive change. Markets are watching, and the clock is ticking. My guess is that if we don't see better economic numbers and trade stabilization by late fall, markets may dump out. We're in an old bull market, and it won't take many excuses for institutions to pull their chips, and that would scare off needed continued business spending.

And then there is the exploding deficit, and that's another thing that's being ignored in this badly premature "boom" talk.

There's some straightforward, non-political, non-ideological analysis from the industry for you.

Last edited:

The GOP is screaming that the economy is booming, but the numbers are not there, yet.

The good news (at least those of us who are actually hoping for good news) is that business capital spending is up an incredible 39% after the tax cuts - precisely what was hoped for and predicted - and unemployment is so low that wages almost necessarily have to increase. Right now they're increasing at 2.8% and that's not enough. We need them at a sustained level of at least 3.5% to 4.0% or more for a "boom".

The trade situation, cause for much drama, has to stabilize, and that may happen. This current situation can only continue for so long. If we see some capitulation from foreign countries on this, soon, you'll see a significantly positive change. Markets are watching, and the clock is ticking. My guess is that if we don't see better economic numbers and trade stabilization by late fall, markets may dump out. We're in an old bull market, and it won't take many excuses for institutions to pull their chips, and that would scare off needed continued business spending.

And then there is the exploding deficit, and that's another thing that's being ignored in this badly premature "boom" talk.

There's some straightforward, non-political, non-ideological analysis from the industry for you.
Thanks for bringing up spending. I hadn't yet looked at that. If this source is correct, it has jumped, but to a level seen in 2014. Not a time most call a boom. Most tax savings seem to be going for stock buybacks which don't fuel economic growth.

Businesses hiked spending after the tax bill, but the U.S. economy still awaits that promised big boost

The good news (at least those of us who are actually hoping for good news) is that business capital spending is up an incredible 39% after the tax cuts - precisely what was hoped for and predicted - and unemployment is so low that wages almost necessarily have to increase. Right now they're increasing at 2.8% and that's not enough. We need them at a sustained level of at least 3.5% to 4.0% or more for a "boom".

Thanks for bringing up spending. I hadn't yet looked at that. If this source is correct, it has jumped, but to a level seen in 2014. Not a time most call a boom. Most tax savings seem to be going for stock buybacks which don't fuel economic growth.

Businesses hiked spending after the tax bill, but the U.S. economy still awaits that promised big boost
Correct, not in the short term. I supported the business tax cuts (although I would have added a METR, Minimum Effective Tax Rate, my term, of 5.0% or 7.5%). But I would have added four new, higher individual tax rates up to 59.9%. These cuts made our businesses far more competitive and (more importantly) aggressive, but the individual rate reductions were a bad idea.

Last edited:

Nah, its doing better than it has for a long time but I wouldn't call it booming.

Will have to wait and see later.

:boo_hoo14:

Nah, its doing better than it has for a long time but I wouldn't call it booming.

In what way is it better than the previous 4 years?

What economic metric has changed direction for the better?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

In what way is it better than the previous 4 years?

What economic metric has changed direction for the better?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Well if you can't see improvement in the economy then I doubt anyone will be wasting their pointing it out.

The stock market is up 2% this year and 35% since Election Day.

But I wouldn’t necessarily use that as a barometer of the economy since markets tend to overshoot.

Correct, not in the short term. I supported the business tax cuts (although I would have added a METR, Minimum Effective Tax Rate, my term, of 5.0% or 7.5%). But I would have added four new, higher individual tax rates up to 59.9%. These cuts made our businesses far more competitive and (more importantly) aggressive, but the individual rate reductions were a bad idea.

Up to a 59.9% individual tax rate?

You are sick fuck.

So what indicators are you using?

:boo_hoo14:
More childish. Like I said, you are not capable of intelligent economic discussion,

Forum List

Back