Is the US a democracy?

OK here we are, You are lying straight i n the face of your own post calling my post about republican cheating an Iconic fail.

You do realise being insane is no defense right?

I jsut did you fool

3830751931_d745426e26.jpg

Last edited:
The system which we are currently working under has taken a sharp turn off of any path that anyone who espouses freedom can imagine. Without any sense of responsiblity people exercise their "right to vote". If you are someone who receives more in tax returns than you pay into the system you are essentiallly a tax consumer. If you are a tax consumer it would be in your best interest to keep voting out of the hands of other...

Just a bad way to establish a form of government

Mike

So what you're saying here, if I may read between the lines, is that voting should be restricted to the wealthier citizens. I want to confirm that this is correct before responding.

By the way, I am someone who "espouses freedom," and would probably approve of some (although not all) of the things the government is doing that you do not. It's a particularly libertarian fallacy to confuse the absence of government with the presence of freedom. Those two things are not equivalent.

what he is saying is that not all Americans should vote.

just the ones he likes should vote

Americans should vote in the largest numbers possible.

You people hate democracy

Americans should vote in the largest numbers possible.

You people hate democracy

The only people who should vote are the ones who can prove they are legally eligible to vote.

And when there are only two shitty choices to pick and if picking either conflicts with your principles then the only thing to do is to remain true to your convictions and not vote.

Last edited:
The system which we are currently working under has taken a sharp turn off of any path that anyone who espouses freedom can imagine. Without any sense of responsiblity people exercise their "right to vote". If you are someone who receives more in tax returns than you pay into the system you are essentiallly a tax consumer. If you are a tax consumer it would be in your best interest to keep voting out of the hands of other...

Just a bad way to establish a form of government

Mike

So what you're saying here, if I may read between the lines, is that voting should be restricted to the wealthier citizens. I want to confirm that this is correct before responding.

By the way, I am someone who "espouses freedom," and would probably approve of some (although not all) of the things the government is doing that you do not. It's a particularly libertarian fallacy to confuse the absence of government with the presence of freedom. Those two things are not equivalent.

Well then let me explain. I would love for every American to vote. It is a natural right to be able to select those who represent you. Of course it is also a natural responsibility to care and provide for you and your family. I fail to understand how you can forsake your responsiblity to care for yourself and your family and then maintain the claim that you are entitled to all of your rights.

I have always maintained that to fix the system would be to tax everyone an equal percentage of their (income or purchases, you choose because it matters not to me) trade. I would much prefer that we refocus our taxation policy on collecting enough money to run the government and not on behavior modification. In that case I would want every American to vote.

As the situation stands right now I would like to see everyone who pays taxes (at the end of the year, not throughout the year. When you subtract your federal refund from the amount of money you paid you should still have a number in the black) to vote. This is not cruel and it does not treat anyone as though they are not equal. Everyone can contribute, its not that hard. And no I'm not "the wealthiest" in America, I'm happily middle class, maybe even low middle class. 7 years ago, when I didn't pay income taxes, but got a refund check for more than I paid all year, what right did I have to help decide how to spend the money in the federal government? I was receiving more than I put in. Somebody was paying part of my way. I didn't vote that year.

I will go ahead and assure you that I have never accepted WIC/Welfare/food stamps etc. In fact I refused, when ordered by a superior, to accept WIC when my ex wife was pregnant with our son. I didn't really examine it in depth but I probably would not have accepted the EIC if I had realized the ramifications of what I was doing.

In short, I want the people who vote to be accountable too. If everyone wants to contribute, let them contribute, if you don't want to vote feel free to not contribute.

Mike

Truthmatters - thank the republican party for that

the GOP has certainly done its share of double-dirty-dealing, but it did not do it alone. The Democrats have not proven themselves to be much better. In fact, they've proven themselves to be just as corrupt, just weaker.

The Democrats seem to be basically nicer people, but they have demonstrated time and again that they have the management skills of celery. ~ Dave Barry

The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best. ~ Will Rogers

Our current political system ensures not that the worst will get on top -- though they often do -- but that the best will never even apply. ~Paul Jacob

As the situation stands right now I would like to see everyone who pays taxes (at the end of the year, not throughout the year. When you subtract your federal refund from the amount of money you paid you should still have a number in the black) to vote.

By "taxes" you must mean federal income taxes only. Everyone who works does pay federal taxes, although they may not pay federal income taxes. Am I right?

If so, then you have essentially confirmed what I said: that only the wealthier Americans should have a right to vote.

I could never support such a system. I am also unwilling to go with your logic implying that those who require public assistance of some kind to support their families are in that situation from choice.

In fact, I am reminded of an analogous argument that I had with someone back when the voting age was 21 but the draft age was 18 (and this was during Vietnam). His point was that competence to go to war was based on different factors than competence to make political decisions. I pointed out that as long as decisions affecting whether or not a person would be forced to go to war were being made, then anyone who might be affected by those decisions had a right to a voice in them, and the question of competence was irrelevant to that.

I feel the same way here. As long as the government makes decisions which impact the distribution of wealth in this country, those who are at the bottom of the totem pole are entitled to a voice in those decisions, as a matter of morality.

The flaws in democracy are well known, but the flaws in any other system -- exploitation of the non-privileged -- are much worse. So I'm in agreement with Churchill here, who said that Democracy is the worst form of government except for all others that have been tried.

In order to vote you should have to pass the Naturalization test, show Photo ID, get an indelible purple mark on your finger so you only vote once and not be a complete fucking idiot

I think we should get rid of both parties and get 2 new ones.
Maybe a Constitutional Party and a Independent Party.

Forum List

Back