Is there anyone on thai board who was helped by Affirmative Action?

Well, AA sure isn't working for Black folks. Have you seen the high black unemployment statistics lately? If AA is causing is a drain on society it must be caused by some other group!

I see more blacks in management positions, more black doctors and lawyers, more blacks in sports with positions of responsibility, more black politicians....even a black President

The groundwork was laid by Affirmative Action

I will concede that the goundwork for the leaps in Black advancement can be attributable to Affirmative Action. I believe that educational opportunities afforded under AA were/are responsible for the increase in professional Blacks who make up the middle class. Still, there are not nearly enough. Although Blacks are roughly 14% of the US population, I doubt if that percentage is represented by anything approaching the number of white collar professionals in the Black community.

My concerns were directed more towards blue collar Blacks who often bear the brunt of downturns in employment. If Affirmative Action really was as favorable towards Blacks as the Conservatives put on, their unemployment rates would be lower than any other group.
We all know that is not the case, but the yarns from the right continue!

I agree, Affirmative Action opened many doors for blacks and those doors continue to be used. Unfortunately, many poor blacks have been unable to take advantage of those opportunities

But as much as Conservatives hate Affirmative Action, it is the women in this country who benefitted the most, even conservative women

Anyone on this board have a daughter?

Is she involved in sports? If she is, you can thank Title 9 which opened up equal access for womens sports

Before Title 9, Girls sports were Field Hockey, Basketball and Softball.....mostly Cheerleading

Any young girl today has a dozen or more sports available to her plus equipment and facilities

You mean Title IX, which REDUCED access to sports for boys?! (Offhand: my sister's school cut what had been a superb baseball program due to Title IX.) My wife never had an issue...she played varsity baseball in high school, and was one of the better players (first base or pitcher) on the team.

Anyone on this board have a daughter?

Is she involved in sports? If she is, you can thank Title 9 which opened up equal access for womens sports

Before Title 9, Girls sports were Field Hockey, Basketball and Softball.....mostly Cheerleading

Any young girl today has a dozen or more sports available to her plus equipment and facilities

You mean Title IX, which REDUCED access to sports for boys?! (Offhand: my sister's school cut what had been a superb baseball program due to Title IX.) My wife never had an issue...she played varsity baseball in high school, and was one of the better players (first base or pitcher) on the team.

Oh yes.....Title "Eye-Ex"

More boys participate in sports than ever before. What happened was school were forced to look at the sports opportunities they had open for girls. As important, girls were given access to better fields, better equipment and better coaching
If you ever watch the Olympics, the improvement of American women can be attributed to Title IX

Fact: due SOLELY to Title IX, schools have CUT sports programs for boys. No amount of bullshit will change this simple FACT.

Fact: due SOLELY to Title IX, schools have CUT sports programs for boys. No amount of bullshit will change this simple FACT.

We heard the same complaints when women started taking management jobs. They were taking good paying jobs from white men who needed to support a family

Haha you just can't admit to your thread fail. We all know what you were looking for when you created this thread.
Much like unions, affirmative action has outlived it's usefulness. Both are now a drain on society.

Well, AA sure isn't working for Black folks. Have you seen the high black unemployment statistics lately? If AA is causing is a drain on society it must be caused by some other group!

I see more blacks in management positions, more black doctors and lawyers, more blacks in sports with positions of responsibility, more black politicians....even a black President

So you admit that Obama is the first AA president, interesting. You also admit that all successful blacks didn't make it on their own they needed an advantage. Again interesting revelation.

Last edited:

So you admit that Obama is the first AA president, interesting. You also admit that all successful blacks didn't make it on their own they needed an advantage. Again interesting revelation.

There is no question that our president benefitted from the groundwork laid by Affirmative Action and the doors it opened. Can you imagine a mixed race man with a funny name like Barack Obama having the same opportunities fifty years ago?

There is no question that our president benefitted from the groundwork laid by Affirmative Action and the doors it opened. Can you imagine a mixed race man with a funny name like Barack Obama having the same opportunities fifty years ago?

Growing up in racist Hawaii, with all the money in the world? Must have been terrible.

Anyone? Anyone?

Post your stories here

Good question. I personally have not been helped no personally directly hurt but I would argue that everyone has been hurt by affirmative action. When you lower standards and criteria in perpetuity simply to check a box and meet diversity mandates, the result is a perception that that person or group is not qualified enough because he she did not need to go through the same challenges. How fair is that?

It's gotten to the point where Jesse Jackson thinks the NFL should give a franchise to a black owner.

I will concede that the goundwork for the leaps in Black advancement can be attributable to Affirmative Action. I believe that educational opportunities afforded under AA were/are responsible for the increase in professional Blacks who make up the middle class. Still, there are not nearly enough. Although Blacks are roughly 14% of the US population, I doubt if that percentage is represented by anything approaching the number of white collar professionals in the Black community.

My concerns were directed more towards blue collar Blacks who often bear the brunt of downturns in employment. If Affirmative Action really was as favorable towards Blacks as the Conservatives put on, their unemployment rates would be lower than any other group.
We all know that is not the case, but the yarns from the right continue!

I agree, Affirmative Action opened many doors for blacks and those doors continue to be used. Unfortunately, many poor blacks have been unable to take advantage of those opportunities

But as much as Conservatives hate Affirmative Action, it is the women in this country who benefitted the most, even conservative women

how many Liberals dont care for Affirmative Action today?.....or at least think it is not needed anymore?...

Well once again the liberal left wishes to take credit for the success of their black friends. Never before in history did a black man make it in the world until the liberal left helped them. No black man ever attended Columbia or Harvard on their own merit it took liberals to help the helpless black man. BS, always was BS. AA should bar discrimination because of race. Same qualification should equal same job opportunities but not based on race. But the liberals think that giving an advantage to one person over the other will sooth their racist democrat past guilt. NO, let men be men. Let people like Obama take pride on what THEY did, maybe in spite of racism, not because some liberal wants to take credit for what Obama accomplished. (although I do believe he did get into Columbia an Harvard, unfairly if it caused a more qualified person to be exculed, due to AA)

I just wonder how this black man was able to graduate Harvard without the help of liberals. Oh right, he did it on his own and probably with the help of Republicans, black and white. BTW his graduation was less then 20 years after the Civil War.

Harvard?s 1st Black Graduate Honored At University Of South Carolina | News One

Last edited:
Here is a good question to ask oneself about the issue. Why did the south keep black men as slaves? Did they think slavery wrong and do it any way? What if the slave owners daughter or son was kidnapped and sold into slavery what do you think they would have thought of the institution?

Growing up in racist Hawaii, with all the money in the world? Must have been terrible.

You guys are funny......I know you are serious and all that but I really enjoy how you claim Obama grew up in such wealth while you run candidates like Romney, McCain and Bush

You guys are funny......I know you are serious and all that but I really enjoy how you claim Obama grew up in such wealth while you run candidates like Romney, McCain and Bush

Yes, Obama is a typical black man his past shows it.

I have no problem with Obama growing up wealthy, or Romney, McCain or Bush for that matter. My response was towards you describing how rough Obama had it being a black man growing up.

Anyone? Anyone?

Post your stories here

I lost a consulting project because of affirmative action. He was a real nice man, but not nearly as qualified as I was.

Affirmative action is never positive either:

1) The beneficiary didn't need the help, and it was an insult to them because it appeared they received help they didn't get.

2) The beneficiary got the job over more qualified applicants. In which case both the hirer and the more qualified candidate was harmed and the beneficiary got a job over their head.

My wife's father came the USA from Korea speaking about 3 words of English. He died a millionaire in Potomac, Maryland with Sugar Ray Leonard and Linda Carter as neighbors. The idea that blacks need government handouts or the bar lowered is just an insult to them. The liberal blacks who play the victim card and ask for the help are pathetic.

Hey, [MENTION=19018]Bfgrn[/MENTION], I'm advocating segregation again, thought you'd want to know! What a dickhead.

Forum List

Back