Is there anyone on thai board who was helped by Affirmative Action?

Conservatives want to change affirmative action so that it helps those in need that are WORTHY but democrats can't get beyond skin color. Well, except for when threads fail then we jump from skin color to womens lib. Lol

Actually, if you are qualified for educational and employment opportunities but are denied them because of your race or sex you are as good as useless

Affirmative Action changed that

Let's assume you're correct about the historical value of AA. The bigger issue is is there a need for it in today's society?

Affirmative Action has changed from what it was 30-40 years ago. For the most part, quotas have gone away and been replaced by ensuring access. The legal remedies of Affirmative Action are still needed

Disagree. The stigma of affirmative action alone is reason enough to do away with it. Blacks, women, they can make it on their own without a step up from the system.

It's a fair comparison. Whether required by law or not, it's still passing over qualifications in favor of status.

Same thing.

Not even the Federal government has to hire "unqualified" people. BTW White skin and male gender does not necessarily mean you are more "qualified" than a woman or minority..

Further, before the civil rights era, hiring was not based on merit... First come first hired, as long as you were a white male, was the normal way of life back when!

so discrimination is ok as long as the government tells you to.

I did not say that! BTW, essentially, white males control the government even with a black president... Are you suggesting that white males discriminate against one another?

I looooove Thai food. :D

I got passed over for two jobs because of AA. In both cases the ones who were hired were friends of mine.
So what did I do? Went out for some Thai food. :rock:

And @ Shroom, that would be Richard Nixon who started AA as we know it, not Jimmy Carter.

It was Carter's AA Squad that told my employers they had too many White Males and not enough Minorities or Females and that if they wanted to keep their license, they had to hire more Minorities and Females.

Nixon was out of office when it happened. That is why I blame Carter.
I wonder why a true meritocracy is such a difficult concept for some.

Because there never has been a true meritocracy!

Anyone who has a wife or daughter can thank affirmative action

Read a highschool yearbook from the 50s or 60s and see what girls listed as their future plans. The smart ones wanted to be a nurse or teacher. Others would list beautician or cashier. If you went into business you listed secretary. Most just put housewife

That was what used to be the opportunities for women before Affirative Action

Have any proof to back that up?

Yeah, he does! I was around back then and I am a witness to similar circumstances as rightwinger posited above.

Of course, divert attention away from the problems with this law with some silly shit like that.

Far from silly

Everyone looks at affirmative action as a law to help the "colored"

In fact, the group that was helped the most by Affirmative Action was women. Affirmative Action opened up thousands of career fields to women that were formerly "mans work". Even the military

If your wife or daughter aspires to be anything better than a secretary, they can thank affirmative action

Sureeee

Hard work has nothing to do with their success.

Good to see your plans as democrats is to further divide the nation with bullshit like this.
I can see it now...republicans hate women because affirmative action is for them too.

Many women and "coloreds" have always been willing to work just as hard as any white male..AA gave them the chance to do so.

Sureeee

Hard work has nothing to do with their success.

Good to see your plans as democrats is to further divide the nation with bullshit like this.
I can see it now...republicans hate women because affirmative action is for them too.

Women before Affirmative Action worked hard. But they were told that they should be happy with that Secretarys job because they didn't have what it takes to be managers. Women were best suited for nursing jobs but those slots in Med School were reserved for men.

Again, do you have any proof of what you say??

Again, I was around back then and can testify to the veracity of rightwing's position on this matter. Ask your mother if you don't believe us!

Haha you just can't admit to your thread fail. We all know what you were looking for when you created this thread.
Much like unions, affirmative action has outlived it's usefulness. Both are now a drain on society.

Well, AA sure isn't working for Black folks. Have you seen the high black unemployment statistics lately? If AA is causing is a drain on society it must be caused by some other group!

Let's assume you're correct about the historical value of AA. The bigger issue is is there a need for it in today's society?

Affirmative Action has changed from what it was 30-40 years ago. For the most part, quotas have gone away and been replaced by ensuring access. The legal remedies of Affirmative Action are still needed

Disagree. The stigma of affirmative action alone is reason enough to do away with it. Blacks, women, they can make it on their own without a step up from the system.

It is easy for those who don't need affirmative action to declare it is no longer necessary. It was just last year women in the military were allowed to go into combat roles. The year before, gays were openly allowed in the military

We don't need quotas anymore, but we do need the remedies of legal action

Haha you just can't admit to your thread fail. We all know what you were looking for when you created this thread.
Much like unions, affirmative action has outlived it's usefulness. Both are now a drain on society.

Well, AA sure isn't working for Black folks. Have you seen the high black unemployment statistics lately? If AA is causing is a drain on society it must be caused by some other group!

I see more blacks in management positions, more black doctors and lawyers, more blacks in sports with positions of responsibility, more black politicians....even a black President

The groundwork was laid by Affirmative Action

I looooove Thai food. :D

I got passed over for two jobs because of AA. In both cases the ones who were hired were friends of mine.
So what did I do? Went out for some Thai food. :rock:

And @ Shroom, that would be Richard Nixon who started AA as we know it, not Jimmy Carter.

True.

But rightwing partisan hacks can't help but lie.

Jones calling someone else a Hack.....must be a character flaw....

"we need a Dego [sic]"?? :eek:

And still we have a (apparently very young) poster who wants 'proof' about how things used to be... ?

"Hard to believe, Harry"...

It is easy for those who don't need affirmative action to declare it is no longer necessary. It was just last year women in the military were allowed to go into combat roles. The year before, gays were openly allowed in the military

We don't need quotas anymore, but we do need the remedies of legal action

What kind of remedies??

I see more blacks in management positions, more black doctors and lawyers, more blacks in sports with positions of responsibility, more black politicians....even a black President

The groundwork was laid by Affirmative Action

I will concede that the goundwork for the leaps in Black advancement can be attributable to Affirmative Action. I believe that educational opportunities afforded under AA were/are responsible for the increase in professional Blacks who make up the middle class. Still, there are not nearly enough. Although Blacks are roughly 14% of the US population, I doubt if that percentage is represented by anything approaching the number of white collar professionals in the Black community.

My concerns were directed more towards blue collar Blacks who often bear the brunt of downturns in employment. If Affirmative Action really was as favorable towards Blacks as the Conservatives put on, their unemployment rates would be lower than any other group.
We all know that is not the case, but the yarns from the right continue!

There were arguments and studies showing affirmative action does the opposite of intended.

Here Richard H. Sander argues that AA has a negative impact on minority students and speaks of the 'mismatch' theory. Another professor disagrees in the same article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/o...ve-action-do-what-it-should.html?pagewanted=1

What I found interesting is after California banned Affirmative Action with prop 209 which prohibits considering race, sex, or ethnicity, specifically in employment, contracting or public education, the African American student graduation rate at the University of California, Berkeley increased by 6.5 percent and at University of California, San Diego it rose from 26 percent to 52 percent.

However the drawback was a lower admission rate... there are areas to consider with many aspect of AA.

Forum List

Back